Print Page | Close Window

Why public schooling Izgoodh?

Printed From: IslamiCity.com
Category: Culture & Community
Forum Name: Groups – Youth
Forum Discription: Groups – Youth
URL: http://www.IslamiCity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=596
Printed Date: 31 October 2014 at 3:16pm


Topic: Why public schooling Izgoodh?
Posted By: Rehmat
Subject: Why public schooling Izgoodh?
Date Posted: 16 April 2005 at 10:15am

Here are some interesting reasons given by  Abrar al Haq, a young Bradfordian.

Ten reasons in favour of public schooling

1. Children who receive a one-on-one home education will learn more than others, giving them an unfair advantage in the marketplace—this is undemocratic.

2. Most parents were educated in the under-funded public school system, and so are not smart enough to home educate their own children.

3. How can children learn to defend themselves unless they have to fight off bullies on a daily basis?

4. Ridicule from other children is important to the socialization process.

5. Children in public schools can get more practice “Saying No” to drugs, cigarettes and alcohol.

6. Fluorescent lighting may have significant health benefits.

7. Publicly asking permission to go to the bathroom teaches young people their place in society.

8. The fashion industry depends upon the peer pressure that only public schools can generate.

9. Public schools foster cultural literacy, passing on important traditions like the singing of “Jingle Bells, Batman smells, Robin laid an egg...”

10. Home educated children may not learn important office career skills, like how to sit still for six hours continuously.



-------------
Know your enemy!
No time to waste. Act now!
Tomorrow it will be too late
What You Don’t Know Can Kill You




Replies:
Posted By: Nausheen
Date Posted: 20 April 2005 at 9:16am

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ie rahman ir rahim,

AGAINST SCHOOL

I taught for thirty years in some of the worst schools in Manhattan, and in some of the best, and during that time I became an expert in boredom. Boredom was everywhere in my world, and if you asked the kids, as I often did, why they felt so bored, they always gave the same answers: They said the work was stupid, that it made no sense, that they already knew it. They said they wanted to be doing something real, not just sitting around. They said teachers didn't seem to know much about their subjects and clearly weren't interested in learning more. And the kids were right: their teachers were every bit as bored as they were....

How public education cripples our kids, and why.  By John Taylor Gatto

http://www.spinninglobe.net/againstschool.htm - http://www.spinninglobe.net/againstschool.htm
 
I learnt about this school teacher from NewYork - his talks and lectures .... it all makes sense.
 
Maa salaama.


-------------
Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa
Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena
wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.


Posted By: -ArabianKnight-
Date Posted: 20 April 2005 at 9:51am

I'm sorry.. I jsut find this all very - ... Inaccurate... let me just take the time to point out the many obsurdities I found..

 

Originally posted by Rehmat


1. Children who receive a one-on-one home education will learn more than others, giving them an unfair advantage in the marketplace—this is undemocratic.


That is capitalism... if your smart enoupgh - so be it..  we are not communists here..

Originally posted by Rehmat



2. Most parents were educated in the under-funded public school system, and so are not smart enough to home educate their own children.

So?.. you learn how... I think this proposal is laughable..

Originally posted by Rehmat


3. How can children learn to defend themselves unless they have to fight off bullies on a daily basis?

With Karate like.. the Karate Kid did back in the 80s..

Originally posted by Rehmat


4. Ridicule from other children is important to the socialization process.



Nope.. it isnt.. ridicule leads some children to take matters into their own hands - I.E. Weapons....

Originally posted by Rehmat



5. Children in public schools can get more practice “Saying No” to drugs, cigarettes and alcohol.

I know plenty of home school children who dont do drugs.. infact goign to school will give them peer pressure, and thus pressuring them into actually trying the drugs.. WRong

Originally posted by Rehmat


6. Fluorescent lighting may have significant health benefits.

ok.. sure...

Originally posted by Rehmat


7. Publicly asking permission to go to the bathroom teaches young people their place in society.

Shouldnt we be teaching the children to be confident?... wouldnt you want your child to be a leader? We are not Communists Here... And if you're talking about manners - thats laughable too.. dont you think Children will pick up on manners from their parents?.. Public Schools are the WORST

Originally posted by Rehmat


8. The fashion industry depends upon the peer pressure that only public schools can generate.



IT also depends on Celebrity Endorsements..

Originally posted by Rehmat


9. Public schools foster cultural literacy, passing on important traditions like the singing of “Jingle Bells, Batman smells, Robin laid an egg...”

so.. do you think parents at home might not sing that to their children at times?.. Its not like home schooled kids are going to be in a prison in the house.. i'm sure they cna go outside and play with the nieghboorhood children... or their Religiouse/community centers...  Children will always interact and such etc.. Have friends... THey figure out that Robin Laid an Egg and Joker Got away - form them no doubt.. or whatever.. this whole Idea is rediculouse me thinks..

Originally posted by Rehmat


10. Home educated children may not learn important office career skills, like how to sit still for six hours continuously.

so they wont work in an office.. and nothing says that the parents cant teach them this anyway...



-------------
THere Is no god, BUT GOD
and Adam was his First Messenger
_____________________________


Posted By: bilquis
Date Posted: 27 April 2005 at 1:33pm
hehe nice sarcasm Rehmat



Print Page | Close Window