Print Page | Close Window

Introduce Yourselves

Printed From: IslamiCity.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Introduction: Who am I?
Forum Discription: Introduce yourself here.
URL: http://www.IslamiCity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=403
Printed Date: 22 October 2014 at 8:46am

Topic: Introduce Yourselves
Posted By: icforumadmin
Subject: Introduce Yourselves
Date Posted: 04 April 2005 at 2:29pm

Dear Members,

This conference room invites all the new as well as old participants to come and introduce themselves to others.

It has been noticed by few that the new comers are hesitant most of the times to jump into the existing discussions.

This place may help smooth the bumps of a take off :) It gives you an opportunity to familiarize yourself with the board and its participants.

By knowing your background inshaallah (God will) the readers of your post can understand your point better.

Please feel free to write about yourself that you may want to share with others.  However, for your security please not be too specific.

Jazakallah khair/Thank you,

Administrator

Replies:
Posted By: Abeer
Date Posted: 06 April 2005 at 4:53am
Bismillah e Rahman e Raheem

Assalaam-o-Alaikum everyone. I visited the site after a long time and this new discussion board came as a very pleasant surprise. In fact this is exactly the sort of platform I was looking for. JazakAllah to the team and all participants.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 April 2005 at 11:14am

Wa alaikum salam,

Alhamdulillah, thanks God.

-------------
Best Regards & Peace,
Admin

Posted By: Mustafaa
Date Posted: 07 April 2005 at 4:16am

I'd written my introduction here, but now, I've realized that I need start a new thread.

-------------
There is no deity but Allah. Muhammad is the (last) Messenger of Allah.

Posted By: jalillah
Date Posted: 10 April 2005 at 9:58am

Assalamulaikum..i'm jalillah i hope you will enjoy my company on my stay here @ Islamicity , as you all know i've just joined and i'm trying to familiarize this new and wonderful site and if any one has any suggestion for me for this site please do help!!...Thank You all........ 

========
Admin:
Please read guidelines:
3. Use of upper case and bold (font) is not permissible for the whole of the message body, however it may be used to add emphasis to words or phrases contained within your message.
http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=30 - http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=30

Date Posted: 10 April 2005 at 10:47am

Wellcome Jalillah,

Hope you enjoy your stay. Looking forward your other post.

-------------
Best Regards & Peace,
Admin

Posted By: Dandarawi Anas
Date Posted: 11 April 2005 at 8:52pm

Assalamual'aikum..I 've just joined Islamicity and I think this site is benefit to all people, not just only Muslim. I hope I can share my views to everybody in this site as I gain a lot from discussions in this site.

-------------
To love Rasulullah means to love Allah

Posted By: zulkharnain
Date Posted: 12 April 2005 at 2:25am

Asslam alikum

I am a professor in Electronics in Institute of Aeronautics in India.

It is a great pleasure for me joining here. May Allah bless all of u people who have taken pains to make this succesful. I like to give a suggestion for have a chatting session started here with scholors of Islamic fame to understand the problems of daily life w.r.t Islam. 

Wasslam

Zulkharnain

India.

-------------
May Allah bless u

Date Posted: 12 April 2005 at 12:50pm

Assalamu alaikum Zulkharnain,

Wellcome and thanks for joining this forum. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Regardign the chat, that's a good idea. Unfortunately we don't have dedicated scholars to moderate the chatting room.

However if you want to ask to IslamiCity's scholars you can go to:

http://www.islamicity.com/qa/ - http://www.islamicity.com/qa/

Note: The answer will be just an opinion of the person who is in charged,  not a "fatwa", you may agree or disagree. The current scholars:
http://www.islamicity.com/qa/about.shtml - http://www.islamicity.com/qa/about.shtml

Back to this forum, for now, probably this is the best that we can do. We can exchange opinions on various topics, everybody is on the same level to give opinions, advises, critics or whatever and everybody has the full right to agree or disagree.

Loogking forward your posts.
Thanks,

Adji

Posted By: KadijahNoor
Date Posted: 12 April 2005 at 3:11pm

As Salaamu Alikum

I am a Muslima from Florida, retired and living quietly.  Islam is a great comfort to me.  I love to read fatwas or Islamic ruling, it's so interesting.

Thank you for welcoming me to this forum. 

Date Posted: 12 April 2005 at 4:02pm

Wassalamu alaikum,

Wellcome Khadijah. Hope you enjoy the discussion. Looking forward your post.

You may want to read the guidelines:
http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=30 - http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=30

-------------
Best Regards & Peace,
Admin

Posted By: sunshine
Date Posted: 14 April 2005 at 4:07am

Assalamualaikum everybody..

I m a muslima from Kuala Lumpur. Thirsty of Iman drive me to just register here. Hope to sharing a lot from u all. May Allah bless us with a nice brotherhood.

Emm.. I would like to thanks the administrator to provide us with this such nice medium of knowledge n brotherhood.

-------------
We Are Never Alone

Posted By: blond
Date Posted: 14 April 2005 at 5:08am

Greetings.

I am just a small little person who is honored to be amongst you.

Thank you.

Posted By: Daniel Dworsky
Date Posted: 17 April 2005 at 2:04pm
Hi,
I'm Pleased to be on board. Thank you all for the kind words and for
sharing the teachings and wisdom of your religion with me.
Peace,
Danny

Posted By: nadir
Date Posted: 18 April 2005 at 9:36am

Assalaamu Alaikum

Greetings to all, I truly hope you enjoy & learn form your experience here, I have certainly benefited, Alhamdulilah.

There are plenty of ‘rooms’ to wonder through, & hence different conversations to join in, so don’t be shy, go create…..

I would also like to join in thanking those (Muslim’s) responsible for allowing us the opportunity to associate.

Alahamdulilah

Date Posted: 18 April 2005 at 9:38am

Peace be upon you

Daniel

I personally appreciate your transparency, it would have been easy for you to ‘hide’.

Although may I please request something of you?

It is your signature – “Never let the monkey drive”, the statements motivation, may be completely innocent, however not all may see it as such. I know (& you know) that you can come up with something better than that!?

If you do drop this (for God [SWT], & not because I have requested), & use something completely ‘transparent’, I am sure all who read this thread, will appreciate your honesty, and respect your openness.

If God Wills

Bye for now

nadir

Date Posted: 18 April 2005 at 12:41pm
Nadir, How about this
"One in a thousand is a natural born leader of men...
The other 999 are following women.

Okay I'm working on it. I'll get it.
Feel free to plug the album which features the Band Belladona and
ME playing the Funk tune "Never let the Monkey Drive"
dedicated to the voters of my country (Israel).

...Kindness Peace and Liberty like air.

Hoppa there it is!!!!

Shukra,

Danny

Date Posted: 18 April 2005 at 5:06pm

I offer peace to you Daniel

"One in a thousand is a natural born leader of men...
The other 999 are following women.

Ha, ha very funny…..

In Islam a people are encouraged to choose names, for their meaning rather than just the sound, hence my request (for you to change the saying) was with this in mind. Hence I am interested & would like you to kindly share with me, the meaning of your newly chosen signature? 

So you have seen my post in the ‘complaints about the avatar’s’, & you can see that not much interest was taken. No skin off my back, the warning is there, it’s up to the individual to incorporate the Laws of Islam into their life.

If you have a look in the thread entitled ‘Yusuf Islam’, within the general discussion forum, you will find a link that ‘Yusuf’ (ie the Muslim on this forum) posted, with regards to the use of musical instruments. The Prophet (SAW), despised musical instruments, & made every effort to avoid hearing musical melodies.

I am not even going to ask you if, you under/overstand the reasons why? As I can clearly see that you are unaware of the reasons (as you yourself are involved in making music). So instead, I ask you to contemplate the reasons why the Prophet (SAW), would be so against music?

Please post me your answer.

nadir

Date Posted: 18 April 2005 at 9:49pm
It's from a song Called "Like Air."

...Let me raise my child in a land that's safe and free,
Where he's free to choose our answers or his questions
Where he's free to rune,
Neither hurt nor hurting no one,
Taking kindness peace and liberty like air.   

-------------

Date Posted: 18 April 2005 at 10:08pm
Nadir regarding your question I need to know what SAW stands for.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 April 2005 at 7:20am

All Praise is due to God

Firstly sorry to any newbies, this conversation is probably been held in the wrong place, just ignore us.

“It's from a song Called "Like Air."

...Let me raise my child in a land that's safe and free,
Where he's free to choose our answers or his questions
Where he's free to rune,
Neither hurt nor hurting no one,
Taking kindness peace and liberty like air.”

OK, I can see where this verse is coming from. And wish to share with you why the meaning within it is flawed.

To arrive at a state where a person can ‘run free’, ‘neither hurt nor hurting no one’, a person/community/nation, must not only know God, but adhere to His commands. I say this in the light of the fact that, if you do not know God (& hence fear doing wrong by Him), you will not have (true) respect for others feelings. If you do know Him, but do not adhere to His Laws, then you are also likely to upset others, as His Law - is Divine, our ways - are imperfect.

The final sentence suggests that ‘kindness, peace & liberty’ are ‘like air’ – does that mean ‘free/natural’ (please let me know the intended meaning?), & if so I would like to remind you that even air (is not free &) obeys the command of Allah (Glorified is the Most High, above all that they associate in partner with Him).

Everything obeys Allah (Glorified is the Most High), whether willing or not, hence surely the true success is to willingly obey Him, as only this way will He be inclined to reward, with true success.

If Allah wills

nadir   

p.s. SAW = Sallallahu Alayhi Wasalaam (may the peace & blessings of Allah be upon him)

Posted By: ummziba
Date Posted: 19 April 2005 at 7:30am

What?  Nadir?  You listening to music? 

Don't get upset, you know I'm only joking with you!   Have a nice day!

Peace, ummziba.

-------------
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~

Date Posted: 19 April 2005 at 9:06am
And wish to share with you why the meaning within it is flawed.[/
B]

OH NO!!!!!!   AN ISLAMIC CRITIQUE OF MY MUSIC AUGHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Just kill me...      

...now

Posted By: amna_ali
Date Posted: 19 April 2005 at 10:54am

Asslamualaikum,

I am here just to increase my knowledge and learn something from scholars. Its really a very informative site. Congratulations. I hope that inshallah you will listen me and help me to divert my energies in positive direction because a mistake in my life has made me a victim of low self-esteem.

May Allah help you in your cause.

ma salaam

Posted By: Akhe Abdullah
Date Posted: 20 November 2008 at 7:59am
Originally posted by icforumadmin

Wellcome Jalillah,

Hope you enjoy your stay. Looking forward your other post.

As salaamulaikum Brothers and Sister Jazakallah for this forum. I have been on couple of other forums but this one seems straight forward on discussions not islamic madhab rulings.I think that if somone is a brother or sister they should adress that some cant tell just by name.

Posted By: astroman
Date Posted: 20 November 2008 at 3:17pm
Asslamualaikum

I am Astroman who  joined ICF on October 11th 2008. I am a slow starter.. I will not easily fall in love until I know "it" is interesting and I found ICF is what I looked for to gain knowledge, friends and sharing with them what we have. Now I vough that is one of the  sites  that  I always frequented. Shabas !CF.

I am a 57 yrs old 'youth' (he..he.) and am still an employee in a timber industry  and a social worker during my free times. I am also a practitioner of sufi-healing, having serious  interests in exorcism and ghost busting. InshaAllah.

Salam to you all.

Date Posted: 21 November 2008 at 4:05pm
As salaamulaikum Nadir I know you know that every time you take a breath of air you are praising Allah.

Posted By: umm ibrahim
Date Posted: 22 November 2008 at 7:46am
sallam wa alikum! my name is umm ibrahim. look. i really need to get to the point. forgive me. but i am in a great state of confussion. i am really loosing my love for islam. i am married to a great brother and have two beautiful children but i am finding the deen too hard to follow and i can not get over how much i have sinned. i have a terrible relationship eith my parents and they remind me of this all the time! i have a bad temper and i am begining to recent my husbond and children. i want to leave islam, run away from everyone and live a free life. please help me!!! i was once so at peace with islam! help me!!!!

Date Posted: 23 November 2008 at 8:19am
Originally posted by umm ibrahim

sallam wa alikum! my name is umm ibrahim. look. i really need to get to the point. forgive me. but i am in a great state of confussion. i am really loosing my love for islam. i am married to a great brother and have two beautiful children but i am finding the deen too hard to follow and i can not get over how much i have sinned. i have a terrible relationship eith my parents and they remind me of this all the time! i have a bad temper and i am begining to recent my husbond and children. i want to leave islam, run away from everyone and live a free life. please help me!!! i was once so at peace with islam! help me!!!!
<!--
bmi_SafeAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img",1);//-->

As salaamulaikum Sister Umm May Allah help you.(Ameen)Dua Helps sister, and there is nothing to go back to Islam is the way.Are you a convert?How long have you been Muslim?Islam is a simple religion you may live in a place were they are strict.Sister no matter if you run away from Islam you are never free of Allah.We Muslims are the best of people.Dont beat yourself up.There is nothing more simple than La illaha illallah.(Allahuakbar)   

Posted By: riverbear
Date Posted: 29 November 2008 at 9:58pm
Salaam to all, I am new here. Christian who admires Islam and would like to know more about it. It is unfortunate so many here in the West condemn the worlds 2nd largest and fastest growing religion instead of trying to learn about it.
Peace upon all here,
riverbear

Posted By: Hunter
Date Posted: 03 December 2008 at 12:35am
Hi everyone. I guess this is where I tell you who I am and what I'm about. I'll try to be brief. I haven't gone so far as formally declaring myself to be Muslim, but I will say my belief system is consistent with Islam. I can go that far. I'm approaching Islam the way I approach everything else in life-- slowly and cautiously. How I came to Islam is probably a topic for another time. Anyhow, greetings to everyone (from all faiths). Peace be with you all...

-------------
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"-- DrDre

Posted By: nadeem1423
Date Posted: 03 December 2008 at 12:40am
Dead hi every body . i am nadeem from Faisalabad. Now i am student  of 20 and i like to make friends

-------------

Posted By: primrose
Date Posted: 03 December 2008 at 11:54am

frist, السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

my name is Ebtesam from Saudi Aribia islamic country Sleepy
I`d like to meet and talk to muslims from different culturSmile
and I though that your furom the best from all >
    I want you all see hello to me Embarrassed
           Tongue  this will makes me happyTongue

Date Posted: 04 December 2008 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Hunter

Hi everyone. I guess this is where I tell you who I am and what I'm about. I'll try to be brief. I haven't gone so far as formally declaring myself to be Muslim, but I will say my belief system is consistent with Islam. I can go that far. I'm approaching Islam the way I approach everything else in life-- slowly and cautiously. How I came to Islam is probably a topic for another time. Anyhow, greetings to everyone (from all faiths). Peace be with you all...
As salaamulaikum Hunter.Welcome I hope that this forum would be encouraging for you.

Date Posted: 04 December 2008 at 9:08am
Originally posted by nadeem1423

[IMG]smileys/smiley11.gif" align="absmiddle" alt="Dead" /> hi every body . i am nadeem from Faisalabad. Now i am student  of 20 and i like to make friends
As salaamulaikum Nadeem.

Date Posted: 04 December 2008 at 9:10am
Originally posted by primrose

frist, السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

my name is Ebtesam from Saudi Aribia islamic country [IMG>http://www.islamicity.com/forum/smileys/smiley12.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Sleepy" />

I`d like to meet and talk to muslims from different cultur[IMG>http://www.islamicity.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Smile" />

and I though that your furom the best from all >

I want you all see hello to me [IMG>http://www.islamicity.com/forum/smileys/smiley9.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Embarrassed" />

[IMG>http://www.islamicity.com/forum/smileys/smiley17.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Tongue" />  this will makes me happy[IMG>http://www.islamicity.com/forum/smileys/smiley17.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Tongue" />
As salaamulaikum primrose.

Date Posted: 05 December 2008 at 11:26pm
Thanks Akhe, I'll look foreward to talking with you in the future

-------------

Posted By: primrose
Date Posted: 07 December 2008 at 11:24am
thanks  akahe Embarrassed

Date Posted: 08 December 2008 at 10:21am

Thanks Akhe, I'll look foreward to talking with you in the future
As salaamulaikum Brother Hunter.Happy Eid May Allah send you His Blessings.(Ameen)

Date Posted: 08 December 2008 at 10:23am
Originally posted by primrose

thanks  akahe [IMG>http://www.islamicity.com/forum/smileys/smiley9.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Embarrassed" />
As salaamulaikum Sister Primrose.Happy Eid.May Allah send you His Blessings.(Ameen)

Date Posted: 09 December 2008 at 12:31am
Hi Akhe. I was curious when you discovered Islam, how and why? I've only begun to explore it myself although I have read the Holy Quran all the way through once and am in the process of reading it again. I understand that doesn't make me a Muslim-- yet.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 December 2008 at 10:35am

Hi Akhe. I was curious when you discovered Islam, how and why? I've only begun to explore it myself although I have read the Holy Quran all the way through once and am in the process of reading it again. I understand that doesn't make me a Muslim-- yet.
As salaamulaikum Brother Hunter.I came into the fold of AL Islam 15yrs ago.As a teenager growing up in a rough neighborhood.(I was apart of the stereotypical young black male) I got in some trouble and I was incarcerated.It was the best thing that ever happen to me.(now I am a respectable good Muslim man )A little before I got locked up I became interested in The Nation of Islam,(unorthodox teachings of Islam)I was rebelious and I had a hard time excepting just what ever someone would tell me (the law, American history and Christianity).So while incarcerated I attended Sunni Muslim services(what they called it)instead of Jumah,and there is where I learned about AL Islam(orthodox-universal Islam).As you may know it was a hard adjustment for me and my parents(relation) (example I talked to my mother today and she asked me was I still a Muslim.) ,because I am the only one that I know of out of 4 genarations.I truly wish there were no non-Muslims in my family.Shahada makes you Muslim.Saying and believing (La illaha ilAllah).following the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammed(Salalahu Allahi Wasalam)Preforming the obligatory prayers(Salat)Fasting(Rahmadan)Practising regular charity(Zakat)and making (Hajj)if you can.If you have the blesssing of Allah he will make anything happen for you.I might have gotten the order wrong,Im sure someone would correct me(Inshallah) but I told you nothing wrong.I try to keep it simple as possible.It was my pleasure talk to you Brother Hunter.Wa alaykum Salam    

Date Posted: 12 December 2008 at 1:11am
Hi again Akhe. I thank you for your thoughtful response and your patience. Islam as it's currently practiced is all new to me and I'm trying to learn. Your personal experience although different in some ways is also very similar to mine. My story is probably the poor white-trash version of yours. Like you, when I was younger I got myself into plenty of trouble with the law, at least in my case, substance abuse was behind most of it. I too was angry, although I often didn't understand why. Eventually, after an assault charge, the court system recomended that I attend AA meetings. AA recomended that if I wanted to remain clean and sober, I'd better find God. I did, and that was now over 16 yrs ago. Finding religion has taken me a lot longer, and I agree with you that it's hard when people (particularly family members) don't understand. I've said before, it's lonely to be alone in your beliefs. My wife calls this my "terrorist website". I wish more people could see Islam for what it really is. Here are my questions: In order to become Muslim, you take the shahada. I'm somewhat familiar with the term or at least I've read about it. It's basically a declaration of your beliefs. Can anyone perform this or does it have to be a Muslim cleric type person? Does it have to take place in a mosque? If one takes this vow, what's next, and what responsibilities has this person accepted? I guess that's enough questions out of me for now. Take care  Respectfully-- Hunter  

-------------

Date Posted: 13 December 2008 at 8:16am

Hi again Akhe. I thank you for your thoughtful response and your patience. Islam as it's currently practiced is all new to me and I'm trying to learn. Your personal experience although different in some ways is also very similar to mine. My story is probably the poor white-trash version of yours. Like you, when I was younger I got myself into plenty of trouble with the law, at least in my case, substance abuse was behind most of it. I too was angry, although I often didn't understand why. Eventually, after an assault charge, the court system recomended that I attend AA meetings. AA recomended that if I wanted to remain clean and sober, I'd better find God. I did, and that was now over 16 yrs ago. Finding religion has taken me a lot longer, and I agree with you that it's hard when people (particularly family members) don't understand. I've said before, it's lonely to be alone in your beliefs. My wife calls this my "terrorist website". I wish more people could see Islam for what it really is. Here are my questions: In order to become Muslim, you take the shahada. I'm somewhat familiar with the term or at least I've read about it. It's basically a declaration of your beliefs. Can anyone perform this or does it have to be a Muslim cleric type person? Does it have to take place in a mosque? If one takes this vow, what's next, and what responsibilities has this person accepted? I guess that's enough questions out of me for now. Take care  Respectfully-- Hunter  
As salaamulaikum Brother Hunter.The shahada is usually preformed at the Masjid,You would rather do it there,where you would be amongst others who would become your brothers in faith(Akh).If you believe in your heart that, There is no Allah (God )but Allah (God)then say it alone and Allah understands.Islam is the most beautiful way of life(deen).Have you ever been to a Mosque?If not you should, because you need to get a better understanding.In my city we have Sunday congragations(Talim)for new Muslims or people who are non-Muslims,who are trying to get an understanding of Islam.Try not to let this overwhelm you(Inshallah).I have written a post about this,this is an Islamic forum even though there are other faiths,We greet each other with the most beautiful greeting As salaamulaikum.By the way Prophet Muhammed (SAW) say when one converts to Islam all there previous sins are forgiven."(AllahuAkbar)"

Posted By: Sign*Reader
Date Posted: 13 December 2008 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by umm ibrahim

sallam wa alikum! my name is umm ibrahim. look. i really need to get to the point. forgive me. but i am in a great state of confussion. i am really loosing my love for islam. i am married to a great brother and have two beautiful children but i am finding the deen too hard to follow
What part is hard? Explain!
 and i can not get over how much i have sinned.
What kind of sins?
 i have a terrible relationship eith my parents and they remind me of this all the time!
were you a brat or drugs or others that they are aware of?

i have a bad temper and i am begining to recent my husbond and children.
You may need to see a doctor.... may be there is some chemical imbalance that is driving you nuts! May be mid life crises what is your date of birth?
 i want to leave islam, run away from everyone and live a free life. please help me!!!
When people are stressed their eman suffers, it is normal but then it is eman that brings them out of the hole they were in!
There is old saying when in a hole just stop digging( cuz you will go even deeper) try to relax and think each problem and make a priority list into critical and non critical and work on them...right them down and a time line to solve them one by one
There is no
Shangri-La any more every one has problems no matter where you go and every thing breaks down so when you are sick you go to doctor when the car breaks down you take it to a mechanic, nothing is free!
How old are your children?

i was once so at peace with islam! help me!!!!

-------------
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.

Date Posted: 14 December 2008 at 1:43am
Hi Akhe  As salaamulaikum  No, I've never been to a mosque. After I figured out that Islam fit my belief system, I began reading the local newspapers to see what was offered for religious services in my area. There doesn't seem to be anything but Jewish and Christian services up here in the sticks of southern Vermont. It was this frustration that led me to this website forum to begin with. The mosque locator on this website came up with about 100 mosques for NY city, but really nothing closer than that. For now, this forum is it until I can figure something out. That's why I'm picking your brain in here. And the reason I'm picking your brain in here and not someone else's is because you're friendly and approachable, you explain things well without over complicating them or getting too "preachy", and you don't make me feel st**id for asking dumb questions. It really is frustrating for me to not be able to connect with other people who have the same beliefs. Inshallah something will happen eventually to change that. Again, I thank you for your paitience, advice and kind words. It really has meant a lot to be able to talk with you-- Hunter

-------------

Date Posted: 15 December 2008 at 5:18am

Hi Akhe  As salaamulaikum  No, I've never been to a mosque. After I figured out that Islam fit my belief system, I began reading the local newspapers to see what was offered for religious services in my area. There doesn't seem to be anything but Jewish and Christian services up here in the sticks of southern Vermont. It was this frustration that led me to this website forum to begin with. The mosque locator on this website came up with about 100 mosques for NY city, but really nothing closer than that. For now, this forum is it until I can figure something out. That's why I'm picking your brain in here. And the reason I'm picking your brain in here and not someone else's is because you're friendly and approachable, you explain things well without over complicating them or getting too "preachy", and you don't make me feel st**id for asking dumb questions. It really is frustrating for me to not be able to connect with other people who have the same beliefs. Inshallah something will happen eventually to change that. Again, I thank you for your paitience, advice and kind words. It really has meant a lot to be able to talk with you-- Hunter
Wa-u-laikum Salam Brother Hunter.I thank you for you remarks.Its a blessing from Allah.I have come a long way to get where I am and I am still striving,still,learning.I know that coming into Islam is a transition.It can be alot to comprehend,and I learned from a patient Imam and I tend to practice the same way.Im wondering,Where or who did you get your Qur'an from?Do you Know how to preform Salat(prayer) yet?If yes you will be fine(Inshallah).If not, Im not sure if you know that there is a website for that.I pray that Allah will lead you to the straight path(Ameen).May Allah also bless you and you're family(Ameen)    

Date Posted: 15 December 2008 at 11:18pm
Hello Akhe As salaamulaikum  It's true that we do tend to teach in the way that we were taught. That being the case, please do me a favor and thank your Imam for me and give him my best regards. Inshallah, some day I look foreward to passing on to someone else what you've taught me. To answer your question about how I got ahold of the Holy Quran is an interesting one. It also contains the answer to how I discovered Islam in the first place. After 9-11, like many Americans, I felt that the obvious evil that caused this must be Islam itself. However, I've never been one to take anyone else's word for anything-- I'm naturally stubborn, as I'm sure you'll eventually discover. I figured I'd find out for myself. The Quran itself seemed to be the most obvious source of this evil. Off I went to Borders and purchased the cheepest copy they had. Cost me five bucks. I had no intention of keeping it. I'd sit down, prove to myself what I thought I already knew: roses are red, grass is green, the sky is blue, and Islam is evil. I planned to then toss the offending Quran either in the woodstove or the trash and go on about my merry way. I'm ashamed to say it now, but that was the attitude I had when I sat down to read that book. I was in for what has been the biggest shock of my life. Instead of hatred and violence, I read about beauty, forgiveness and compassion. Racial equality and tolerance of other religions. I was so completely and utterly shocked! I couldn't put the book down, and looked foreward to reading it every day. I read the entire Quran in less than two weeks-- every word. My words can't begin to do justice, describing how I felt, or what went on inside me when I read it; I won't even try. Instead of tossing out the origional one (I still have it), I went back to Borders and bought the nice copy they had. It isn't leather or anything, but its a nicely bound hard-cover book with gold-guilded pages. Its become one of my most prized possessions. I've read many books in my life, but none that contained this much raw power or changed my life so profoundly. I've been trying to learn everything I can about Islam ever since. As for the prayers, I'm ashamed to admit I don't know any of the traditional Muslim prayers. Maybe you could teach me one or two, first in english so that I can understand what I'm saying. I think I've faithfully answered all your question, or all of them that I can remember anyhow. I've definately babled on endlessly so I'll stop now. Take good care Akhe  Respectfully-- Hunter   

-------------

Date Posted: 16 December 2008 at 9:03am

Hello Akhe As salaamulaikum  It's true that we do tend to teach in the way that we were taught. That being the case, please do me a favor and thank your Imam for me and give him my best regards. Inshallah, some day I look foreward to passing on to someone else what you've taught me. To answer your question about how I got ahold of the Holy Quran is an interesting one. It also contains the answer to how I discovered Islam in the first place. After 9-11, like many Americans, I felt that the obvious evil that caused this must be Islam itself. However, I've never been one to take anyone else's word for anything-- I'm naturally stubborn, as I'm sure you'll eventually discover. I figured I'd find out for myself. The Quran itself seemed to be the most obvious source of this evil. Off I went to Borders and purchased the cheepest copy they had. Cost me five bucks. I had no intention of keeping it. I'd sit down, prove to myself what I thought I already knew: roses are red, grass is green, the sky is blue, and Islam is evil. I planned to then toss the offending Quran either in the woodstove or the trash and go on about my merry way. I'm ashamed to say it now, but that was the attitude I had when I sat down to read that book. I was in for what has been the biggest shock of my life. Instead of hatred and violence, I read about beauty, forgiveness and compassion. Racial equality and tolerance of other religions. I was so completely and utterly shocked! I couldn't put the book down, and looked foreward to reading it every day. I read the entire Quran in less than two weeks-- every word. My words can't begin to do justice, describing how I felt, or what went on inside me when I read it; I won't even try. Instead of tossing out the origional one (I still have it), I went back to Borders and bought the nice copy they had. It isn't leather or anything, but its a nicely bound hard-cover book with gold-guilded pages. Its become one of my most prized possessions. I've read many books in my life, but none that contained this much raw power or changed my life so profoundly. I've been trying to learn everything I can about Islam ever since. As for the prayers, I'm ashamed to admit I don't know any of the traditional Muslim prayers. Maybe you could teach me one or two, first in english so that I can understand what I'm saying. I think I've faithfully answered all your question, or all of them that I can remember anyhow. I've definately babled on endlessly so I'll stop now. Take good care Akhe  Respectfully-- Hunter   
As salaamulaikum                                 Alhamduillah! Brother Hunter Alhamduillah!When one becomes Muslim you can never just take someones word without solid proof of what that person is saying is Haqq(truth).just as some Christians may waist there time trying to convince Muslims that Prophet Isa son of Mary is god or his son.They never can prove it never.

Date Posted: 16 December 2008 at 9:12am

As salaamulaikum Brother Hunter. Surah 1(1-7)is a prayer.You can find many on Duas.com,you can also find out how to make salat online IslamicFinder.org

Date Posted: 16 December 2008 at 11:06pm
Akhe, hello my friend. As salaamulaikum  I looked up that surah in my Quran. That works for me; it's a nice prayer and as good a place to start as any. Also, I agree with you that to worship a prophet as a "God" is wrong. It's the problem I've always had with Christianity. To pray to anything or anyone other than to God himself is wrong doing. I'd always thought that and had always wished there was a religion that was truely God based. I just didn't realize until I read the Quran there was one. Muslims say "There is only one God; he has no associates or companions" For me, this is a truth I've already known in my heart for most of my life. Take good care, respectfully-- Hunter 

-------------

Posted By: Caprice88
Date Posted: 23 December 2008 at 11:16am
Salam everyone

Everyone my name is Hana and am a sister from London. I was just checking out some topics in here and thought i might aswell introduce myself. Iam a sister studying a Degree in Biosciences. I also am the oldest in my family so i do help my mother a lot. Other than that i like to go to the mosque and study arabic and qur'an. My hobbies is to go to the gym and read islamic magazines.

Ma' salamah

Wink

-------------
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.

Date Posted: 24 December 2008 at 4:13pm

Akhe, hello my friend. As salaamulaikum  I looked up that surah in my Quran. That works for me; it's a nice prayer and as good a place to start as any. Also, I agree with you that to worship a prophet as a "God" is wrong. It's the problem I've always had with Christianity. To pray to anything or anyone other than to God himself is wrong doing. I'd always thought that and had always wished there was a religion that was truely God based. I just didn't realize until I read the Quran there was one. Muslims say "There is only one God; he has no associates or companions" For me, this is a truth I've already known in my heart for most of my life. Take good care, respectfully-- Hunter 
As Salaamulaikum Brother Hunter.Alhamduillah" It is truly a blessing from Allah The Most High that we have the religion of Haqq(Truth).Im sorry for the late reply my computer was down.

Date Posted: 24 December 2008 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Caprice88

Salam everyone

Everyone my name is Hana and am a sister from London. I was just checking out some topics in here and thought i might aswell introduce myself. Iam a sister studying a Degree in Biosciences. I also am the oldest in my family so i do help my mother a lot. Other than that i like to go to the mosque and study arabic and qur'an. My hobbies is to go to the gym and read islamic magazines.

Ma' salamah

[IMG]http://www.islamicity.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Wink" />
As Salaamulaikum Sister Caprice.May Allah bless you and your family in this life and the hearafter.

Date Posted: 25 December 2008 at 10:06pm
Hello Caprice and welcome. As Salaamulaikum   I'll tell you exactly what brother Akhe told me when I first came here:  ' Welcome, and I hope this forum will be encouraging for you. ' It certainly has been for me. Ahke, I've missed talking to you brother-- I hope your computer is all better now. I've also been a bit busy with holiday type stuff. I may not be Christian but the rest of my family is. It's all good I guess; I look at Christmas as a way to spend time with my kids and family. I'll look foreward to talking with you in the near future-- take care my friend-- Hunter

-------------

Date Posted: 26 December 2008 at 5:32am

Hello Caprice and welcome. As Salaamulaikum   I'll tell you exactly what brother Akhe told me when I first came here:  ' Welcome, and I hope this forum will be encouraging for you. ' It certainly has been for me. Ahke, I've missed talking to you brother-- I hope your computer is all better now. I've also been a bit busy with holiday type stuff. I may not be Christian but the rest of my family is. It's all good I guess; I look at Christmas as a way to spend time with my kids and family. I'll look foreward to talking with you in the near future-- take care my friend-- Hunter
As Salaamulaikum Brother Hunter.Yea I wish all my family would embrace Islam also, it would be so beautiful.I can recall someone(nonMuslim)telling me I was a bad person for not celebrating Christmas,And I say Its not in the Quran or Hadith.We Muslims are suppose to give regularly not just one day of the year.There are some good intentions about Christmas but let someone not receive a gift and see their reaction.All Praise is do to Allah.

Date Posted: 26 December 2008 at 11:10pm
Hi Akhe. As Salaamulaikum  Yup, I can relate to the Christmas thing. I made an offhand remark to someone at work the other night in response to a question. I don't remember the question, something to do with Christmas. I said "I don't know, I don't worship prophets." I might as well have slapped him the way he reacted. His eyes bugged out, his head snapped back-- he had a look of complete and utter shock on his face. I wasn't trying to be offensive, I just don't pay that much attention to Christmas; that's all I was trying to convey. As far as the helping people all year long rather than just for a day or two, I couldn't agree more. I've always believed in helping people, even before I discovered Islam. I don't have much money; I'm so poor I can barely afford to pay attention, as we say up here, but I do donate my time to people in need. I've been a member of the American Red Cross ever since hurricane Katrina hit NewOrleans. The last one I did was hurricane Ike down in Texas. It's everyone's responsibility to help other people, and it's all through the Quran. There's a beautiful passage in the Quran that talks about doing acts of good (to be seen by others) while refraining from acts of kindness. I think many people are guilty of this. Anyhow enough of my nightly rambling. Take care my brother-- Hunter

-------------

Posted By: Imani
Date Posted: 27 December 2008 at 12:32am
Salam alaikum.
I hale from Ghana and a Ghanaian. Currently am in Saudi Arabia with my Family and I will return back to my country to further my education.
One particular thing about me is that, as the first born of my Family, I have to always set good examples for my other siblings to follow. In this way, they can have a humble life and not to go astray.
My interest in finding a good and religious Islamic website ended me in this wonderful forum, IC.Smile

-------------
"But those who believe and do righteous deeds are the best of all creatures."(surah98:7)
peace for all peace for the nation. To Allah indeed we are to return. SALAM

Date Posted: 28 December 2008 at 1:27am
Hello Imani  Salam Alaikum  I'm also here to learn all I can about Islam and Inshallah meet new people and make friends along the way. Like you, I just stumbled upon this site, not unlike how I stumbled upon Islam to begin with. Take care and I'll see you around the forum-- Hunter

-------------

Date Posted: 28 December 2008 at 4:26am
Salam alaikum hunter.
Thanks and see you too in the forumSmile

-------------
"But those who believe and do righteous deeds are the best of all creatures."(surah98:7)

Date Posted: 28 December 2008 at 8:34am

Hi Akhe. As Salaamulaikum  Yup, I can relate to the Christmas thing. I made an offhand remark to someone at work the other night in response to a question. I don't remember the question, something to do with Christmas. I said "I don't know, I don't worship prophets." I might as well have slapped him the way he reacted. His eyes bugged out, his head snapped back-- he had a look of complete and utter shock on his face. I wasn't trying to be offensive, I just don't pay that much attention to Christmas; that's all I was trying to convey. As far as the helping people all year long rather than just for a day or two, I couldn't agree more. I've always believed in helping people, even before I discovered Islam. I don't have much money; I'm so poor I can barely afford to pay attention, as we say up here, but I do donate my time to people in need. I've been a member of the American Red Cross ever since hurricane Katrina hit NewOrleans. The last one I did was hurricane Ike down in Texas. It's everyone's responsibility to help other people, and it's all through the Quran. There's a beautiful passage in the Quran that talks about doing acts of good (to be seen by others) while refraining from acts of kindness. I think many people are guilty of this. Anyhow enough of my nightly rambling. Take care my brother-- Hunter
As Salaamulaikum Brother Hunter.Alhamduillah!Allah loves those who help others.Keep up the Good work Brother.How is your learning Salat going?May Allah make it easy for you.(Ameen)

Date Posted: 29 December 2008 at 12:37am
Hi Akhe my friend. As Salaamulaikum  Learning salat is less of a problem than getting myself to actually do it. I copied down the surah you gave me from the Quran-- I got that far. I've just generally fallen out of the habit of praying. Once I make myself do it, and do it at the same time (or times), I'll get back into the habit of it and it won't be a problem. For some reason, bad habits always seem easier to pick up than good ones. Since you reminded me, I won't have an excuse for not doing it before bed. Take care brother Akhe-- Hunter 

-------------

Posted By: seekshidayath
Date Posted: 30 December 2008 at 6:09pm
As Salamu Alaikum

Akhe Abdullah, you had been helping Br. Hunter secretly, Geek
Thats not fair. even we shud get an oppurtunity. Since all these days, i had the impression that hunter is still trying to know Islam. Am very happy today for you HuNTER that you are trying to memorize and learn surahs. May Allah swt make it easy for you.

-------------
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: “All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."

Date Posted: 31 December 2008 at 1:16am
Well hello there Seekshidayath my friend!  As Salamu Alaikum  Yes, brother Akhe has been helping me (as have you) from the very start. After reading the Holy Quran all the way through and determining Islam was consistent with what I had already known and believed in, the next logical step seemed to be to meet and talk with other people with similar beliefs. Since there aren't any Muslims around here, this website seemed to be an alternative. I have to tell you Seeks, although I found the beauty, truth and justice I'd always longed for in the Quran, it is after all a book. A 1400 year old book. I was nervous about what live contemporary Muslims would actually be like. As I told you earlier, I had never met one, and still haven't in person. You and Akhe were everything I was hopeing Muslims would be like. You are living examples of what the Quran teaches: patience, tolerance, belief in one God, helping people and leading by example. It's interesing if you stop and think about it; we're three very different people living in three very different places united by a common set of beliefs. So yea, Akhe is a good guy too Smile Take care all-- Hunter

-------------

Date Posted: 31 December 2008 at 3:17am
Walaikum Salam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,

We are all now bonded in brotherhood, Hunter and we love eachother for the sake of Allah swt.

Yeah, our brother Abdullah  is a good guy. But you know, its natural if i feel bit envious of him, that i got deprived of that opportunity to help you in learning.

May Allah swt, make me as you think am. No one is perfect and we tend to do mistakes. I wish you to kindly correct me, if you see me anytime, anywhere wrong.

May Allah swt help all of us to strive, being a good muslim. Ameen

-------------
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: “All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."

Date Posted: 31 December 2008 at 5:09am
[QUOTE=seekshidayath] As Salamu Alaikum

Akhe Abdullah, you had been helping Br. Hunter secretly, [IMG]http://www.islamicity.com/forum/smileys/smiley23.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Geek" />

Thats not fair. even we shud get an oppurtunity. Since all these days, i had the impression that hunter is still trying to know Islam. Am very happy today for you HuNTER that you are trying to memorize and learn surahs. May Allah swt make it easy for you.

[DIV  [/DI    Wa Alaikum As Salam SeekShidayah.Alhamduillah) As you know Islam is a blessing that is to be embraced and shared universally.I am indeed no scholar and Im sure Brother Hunter can benifit from learning from us all.If you take a look back in the previous post,you see that the Brother and I share a similar past before embracing Islam .Seek I am pleased that you are interested in helping, it seemed I was the only one Brother Hunter reached out too,And he feels I can explain things a little more to his understanding.(Alhamduillah)Like you and me we have and had the Blessing of learning Deen from great teachers.Alhamduillah)This brother is trying to learn about Islam in a place where he might become the only Muslim in his city or State.Alhamduillah!                                                

Date Posted: 31 December 2008 at 5:36am
Originally posted by seekshidayath

Walaikum Salam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,

We are all now bonded in brotherhood, Hunter and we love eachother for the sake of Allah swt.

Yeah, our brother Abdullah  is a good guy. But you know, its natural if i feel bit envious of him, that i got deprived of that opportunity to help you in learning.

May Allah swt, make me as you think am. No one is perfect and we tend to do mistakes. I wish you to kindly correct me, if you see me anytime, anywhere wrong.

May Allah swt help all of us to strive, being a good muslim. Ameen

Ameen

Date Posted: 01 January 2009 at 1:08am
As Salamu Alaikum  Brother Akhe speaks true when he says he was the first person I approached in here. What I noticed about Akhe's posts to other people was that he seemed to be a man of few words but great sincerity. He didn't say much but obviously meant everything he said and stood behind it. Some instinct told me to approach him and ask what brought him to Islam. His answer was honest, and probably painfully so. That's when we discovered we both share a bit of a rough past. It was the lowest point in our lives that led us to seek God. I think the only real difference was that Islam led Akhe to God, while God led me to Islam. And yes, I've been pestering poor Akhe almost daily since I got here. He does explain things plainly in a way that's easy to understand. Seekshidayath, I've been reading your posts all along, and you've always impressed me as a very knowledgeable, kind and helpful person also. See, I'd been reading ya'lls posts for two or three weeks before I even joined the forum, so I already had some kind of rough idea who people were. It's truely a blessing from Allah I have both of you for friends in here. Seeks, while you're lurking around in here I have a question for you. What is meant by the term "yellow culture". I can only assume it's probably the culture I reside in but I wasn't sure. Take care all  Respectfully-- Hunter

-------------

Posted By: Chrysalis
Date Posted: 01 January 2009 at 9:20am

Its nice to see people trying to excel each other in matters of faith (Akhe and Seeks - in helping a brother out) - infact, thats what the Sahaba would do, they would ONLY get envious in matters of religous opportunities - envious in a good way, not bad. :)

Bro Hunter probably relates more to Akhe because both are converts - and so they probably can discuss/share things we arent even aware of.

Oh, and Hunter I basically wanted to just say that 'establishing' Salaat is a personal Jihad of mine too, what can I say, something Im not proud of :( - just wanted to point out that you're not alone in this. Infact, I think Salaat is something we tend to 'forget' the importance of, so its good to remind ourselves now and then. So, whenever I pray Salaat, I pray that Allah help me establish Salaat . . . . make the intention, Inshallah Allah will help with the rest. Also, doing wudhu when u go to the toilet, also helps. Cz wudhu is the part some ppl feel lazy about and delays Salaat cz not in wudhu, and end up wasting it. SO doing wudhu eases the way - cz one says I might as well pray!

Regards,

-------------
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."

Date Posted: 01 January 2009 at 9:46pm
As Salamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullah

Glad to see sister Chrysallis, joining us.

May Allah swt help all of us to share and learn from this site, and make us a good practising muslim. Ameen

Hunter - am not aware of this "Yellow Culture". As far as i know, it has nothing to do with Islam. As you said, it must be only regional culture. Do you know that Akhe ?

-------------

Date Posted: 01 January 2009 at 11:22pm
Hi all!Smile Hello Chrysalis.  The way I look at it, no one should feel envious of the other for helping me. You all have helped me in here in one way or another and I'm grateful to you all. Akhe was the first person to welcome me here, something I won't forget. Akhe has become a true friend. TruthRealm unfortunately was the second. To say that TruthRealm "welcomed" me would be a gross exageration. True to his nature, he insulted me, and yes I fought back. The point is, in his own insensitive and rude way he helped me. TruthRealm may be an unpopular minority opinion in here, but the unfortunate reality is that at least in my country, he represents the majority. I encounter people like this every day and need to learn how to deal with it. My own boss at work introduces me to people as "our resident terrorist" because he knows I'm studying Islam. As a result, I've learned to be more careful about advancing an opinion, and more concious of backing it up. While it's true I identify strongly with Akhe, I can learn from anyone even if it isn't a positive experience. We can learn as much from our enemies as we can from our friends if we're receptive to it. People who dislike us are sometimes more honest; they aren't afraid to hurt our feelings.

Chrysalis, as for saying Salaat, yes I'm forgetful Confused probably worse than most, but it makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one. It's interesting, because someplace in the Quran, I don't remember the surah or verse (but I bet Seeks doesWink) it explains why it tends to be as repetitious and redundant as it is. It's because we humans are by nature forgetful and need constant reminders. I actually laughed out loud when I read it, because I felt that verse was aimed straight at me. Ok, enough drivel out of me for now. Chrys, Seeks, Akhe-- it's been great talking with ya'll. In addition to learning, I'm actually starting to have fun too. Goodnite everyone (oh yea, Happy New Year!)-- Hunter 

-------------

Date Posted: 02 January 2009 at 6:14am

As Salamu Alaikum  Brother Akhe speaks true when he says he was the first person I approached in here. What I noticed about Akhe's posts to other people was that he seemed to be a man of few words but great sincerity. He didn't say much but obviously meant everything he said and stood behind it. Some instinct told me to approach him and ask what brought him to Islam. His answer was honest, and probably painfully so. That's when we discovered we both share a bit of a rough past. It was the lowest point in our lives that led us to seek God. I think the only real difference was that Islam led Akhe to God, while God led me to Islam. And yes, I've been pestering poor Akhe almost daily since I got here. He does explain things plainly in a way that's easy to understand. Seekshidayath, I've been reading your posts all along, and you've always impressed me as a very knowledgeable, kind and helpful person also. See, I'd been reading ya'lls posts for two or three weeks before I even joined the forum, so I already had some kind of rough idea who people were. It's truely a blessing from Allah I have both of you for friends in here. Seeks, while you're lurking around in here I have a question for you. What is meant by the term "yellow culture". I can only assume it's probably the culture I reside in but I wasn't sure. Take care all  Respectfully-- Hunter
As Salaamulaikum.Brother Hunter.(Alhamduillah)It is truly a blessing from Allah The Most High.I think that I owe you this,I am inspired more by you than you are of me.You take me back to when I first found this Deen(Religion)or when it first found me.The thirst for more knowledge and understanding in a way of life that shows us how to conduct ourselves in this world,and Praising Allah in a manner that is above the rest.I also see the side of the Christians when they sing songs in praise of Allah,but there is much doubt in it to me.Because they mostly praise Prophet Isa(AS) son of Marry.When you hear the truth it cant be denied All Praise is Due To Allah.May Allah Bless Everyone of us in this new year.(Ameen)

Date Posted: 02 January 2009 at 6:26am

Hi all![IMG]smileys/smiley1.gif" align="absmiddle" alt="Smile" /> Hello Chrysalis.  The way I look at it, no one should feel envious of the other for helping me. You all have helped me in here in one way or another and I'm grateful to you all. Akhe was the first person to welcome me here, something I won't forget. Akhe has become a true friend. TruthRealm unfortunately was the second. To say that TruthRealm "welcomed" me would be a gross exageration. True to his nature, he insulted me, and yes I fought back. The point is, in his own insensitive and rude way he helped me. TruthRealm may be an unpopular minority opinion in here, but the unfortunate reality is that at least in my country, he represents the majority. I encounter people like this every day and need to learn how to deal with it. My own boss at work introduces me to people as "our resident terrorist" because he knows I'm studying Islam. As a result, I've learned to be more careful about advancing an opinion, and more concious of backing it up. While it's true I identify strongly with Akhe, I can learn from anyone even if it isn't a positive experience. We can learn as much from our enemies as we can from our friends if we're receptive to it. People who dislike us are sometimes more honest; they aren't afraid to hurt our feelings.Chrysalis, as for saying Salaat, yes I'm forgetful [IMG]smileys/smiley5.gif" align="absmiddle" alt="Confused" /> probably worse than most, but it makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one. It's interesting, because someplace in the Quran, I don't remember the surah or verse (but I bet Seeks does[IMG]smileys/smiley2.gif" align="absmiddle" alt="Wink" />) it explains why it tends to be as repetitious and redundant as it is. It's because we humans are by nature forgetful and need constant reminders. I actually laughed out loud when I read it, because I felt that verse was aimed straight at me. Ok, enough drivel out of me for now. Chrys, Seeks, Akhe-- it's been great talking with ya'll. In addition to learning, I'm actually starting to have fun too. Goodnite everyone (oh yea, Happy New Year!)-- Hunter 
As Salaamulaikum Brother Hunter.Shukran(thanks).I Pray that Allah will bless you to keep your thirst for the truth and increase your Iman(Faith)in Islam.(Ameen) by the way AL Islam it is as you know for everyone.

Date Posted: 02 January 2009 at 6:38am
Originally posted by seekshidayath

As Salamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullah

Glad to see sister Chrysallis, joining us.

May Allah swt help all of us to share and learn from this site, and make us a good practising muslim. Ameen

Hunter - am not aware of this "Yellow Culture". As far as i know, it has nothing to do with Islam. As you said, it must be only regional culture. Do you know that Akhe ?

As Salaamulaikum Brother SeekShidayath.May Allah Bless you in this new year.(Ameen).As far as the question I do not know at this time,but I will try to find out and Im sure you will to

Date Posted: 02 January 2009 at 11:38pm
Hi all!   As Salaamulaikum  Akhe my friend, I'm stunned and surprised to think I could inspire anyone, but relieved that I'm not simply annoying you on a daily basis. Not that you've ever given me the impression you were annoyed; it's just my own insecurity talking. I guess it's possible for the student to inspire the teacher. Now, if I could just inspire my teenage daughters...Angry As for the question I asked, it's really not a big deal. Don't you or Seekshidayath trouble yourselves over it too much. It's a term I ran across someplace in IC, I just don't remember where. In reading the post, if I mentally substituted "decadent western culture" for "yellow culture" it seemed to work. The next time I see it I'll simply ask the author of the post directly what it means. Isn't that how I met you Seeks? I asked you for clarification of a word in one of your posts, wasn't it? Take care everyone and I'll look foreward to talking with you all in the near future. Actually probably tomorrow when I'll pester poor Akhe with another of my never-ending questions.Smile Goodnite all respectfully-- Hunter 

-------------

Date Posted: 03 January 2009 at 8:44am
[QUOTE=Hunter] Hi all!   As Salaamulaikum  Akhe my friend, I'm stunned and surprised to think I could inspire anyone, but relieved that I'm not simply annoying you on a daily basis. Not that you've ever given me the impression you were annoyed; it's just my own insecurity talking. I guess it's possible for the student to inspire the teacher. Now, if I could just inspire my teenage daughters...[IMG]smileys/smiley7.gif" align="absmiddle" alt="Angry" /> As for the question I asked, it's really not a big deal. Don't you or Seekshidayath trouble yourselves over it too much. It's a term I ran across someplace in IC, I just don't remember where. In reading the post, if I mentally substituted "decadent western culture" for "yellow culture" it seemed to work. The next time I see it I'll simply ask the author of the post directly what it means. Isn't that how I met you Seeks? I asked you for clarification of a word in one of your posts, wasn't it? Take care everyone and I'll look foreward to talking with you all in the near future. Actually probably tomorrow when I'll pester poor Akhe with another of my never-ending questions.[IMG]smileys/smiley1.gif" align="absmiddle" alt="Smile" /> Goodnite all respectfully-- Hunter 
[/QUOTE As Salaamulaikum Brother Hunter. I'll look foreward to talking with you all in the near future.(Inshallah)God Willing.Not trying to correct you,We Always acknowledge Allah Ta ala Will.Yes we can say I'll see or talk to someone later the truth is we dont realy know for sure.Allah Is AL-ALIM(The All Knowing).Try to make a habit of keeping Him in mind.Wa Alaikum Salam.

Date Posted: 03 January 2009 at 2:09pm

It's interesting, because someplace in the Quran, I don't remember the surah or verse (it explains why it tends to be as repetitious and redundant as it is. It's because we humans are by nature forgetful and need constant reminders. I actually laughed out loud when I read it, because I felt that verse was aimed straight at me.

I love it when that happens, when you read a certain verse, that springs up, and its like Allah is talking to you right now.

If I remember correctly, the arabic word for 'man' is Insaan, which comes from the root word 'naseeh' which means forgetful in arabic. Someone pl correct me if I am wrong, remember hearing that from someone.

As for inspiring your teenage daughters - the best way would be to say nothing, and just do your thing - and focus on bieng a silent mentor. They are more likely to get inspired by seeing how Islam brings about a positive and wonderful change on you (work on that). Actions are louder than words. Infact, there were some people in Prophet Muhammad's time, who accepted Islam, just by observing his actions, without any verbal preaching whatsoever. Prophet Muhammad had daughers himself, and he was a very affectionate father.

-------------
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."

Date Posted: 04 January 2009 at 3:56am
Ahke brother  Assalam alaikum  I stand corrected and you were absolutely right to correct me. To say "I'll talk to you tomorrow", however innocent and well intentioned it may be, is also presumptious. By saying it, it presumes that you yourself can see or predict the future, when in fact, only God can. It's an interesting teaching point you've made. All too often we think we can predict the future, change an outcome, or that we are ultimately completely in charge of our own lives, master of our own destiny-- we aren't. Allah knows all and is a greater planner than we. I do need to be reminded and made aware of these things. It'll take me some time to eventually get into the right mind-set. So, Inshallah I'll talk to you tomorrow my friend                                  
Hello Chrysalis  Assalam alaikum  I agree that leading by example is a more powerful teacher than words alone; action speaks louder than words, or as we say, talk is cheap. And yes, my daughters observe me more carefully than I often give them credit for. Here's an example: The old furnace we used to have had a faulty regulator valve-- it couldn't regulate the water pressure circulating through the boiler. Pressure would gradually build up until it blew hot water and steam all over the cellar. To fix it, I had to manually purge the boiler by opening and closing a series of valves while I watched the pressure guage. I got a frantic call at work from my wife one night last winter. "The furnace is acting up again; it's blowing hot water all over the place." I told her I'd deal with it as soon as I got home from work. When I returned home I went straight down to the cellar. I looked at the pressure guage-- 15psi Perfect. Annoyed, I went back upstairs to report to my wife that there wasn't anything wrong with it. "I know." she said "Your daughter fixed it." I was stunned. When my wife asked my then 14 year old daughter how she knew what to do, she replied simply "I watched my daddy"
       Well, good nite all Inshallah I'll look foreward to talking with you in the near future-- Hunter 

-------------

Date Posted: 04 January 2009 at 4:09am
So nice to read you Hunter. You learn quickly and practice as well. Smile

Sister {Chrysallis} - as far as i remember Insaan is derived from "Nisyaan" which means forgetfulness. Allah swt knows the best. Anyways, what i feel is, we shud n't get lazy with the thought that anyways, we forget ---. We are rewarded more during the process of learning wherein we try and try, and don't give up. By Allah's grace, we shall learn them soon, inshaAllah.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 January 2009 at 10:40pm
[QUOTE=seekshidayath]So nice to read you Hunter. You learn quickly and practice as well. Smile

Seekshidayath  Assalam alaikum  Thank you again for your kind words and encouragement. I try to not only learn, but also to apply what I learn. Knowledge without action won't get anyone far. Take care and Inshallah I'll hear from you in the near future-- Hunter

-------------

Date Posted: 05 January 2009 at 4:38am

Annoyed, I went back upstairs to report to my wife that there wasn't anything wrong with it. "I know." she said "Your daughter fixed it." I was stunned. When my wife asked my then 14 year old daughter how she knew what to do, she replied simply "I watched my daddy"

Smile

Jazakallah for the correction Seeks. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 05 January 2009 at 11:46am

Hi all!   As Salaamulaikum  Akhe my friend, I'm stunned and surprised to think I could inspire anyone, but relieved that I'm not simply annoying you on a daily basis. Not that you've ever given me the impression you were annoyed; it's just my own insecurity talking. I guess it's possible for the student to inspire the teacher. Now, if I could just inspire my teenage daughters...[IMG]smileys/smiley7.gif" align="absmiddle" alt="Angry" /> As for the question I asked, it's really not a big deal. Don't you or Seekshidayath trouble yourselves over it too much. It's a term I ran across someplace in IC, I just don't remember where. In reading the post, if I mentally substituted "decadent western culture" for "yellow culture" it seemed to work. The next time I see it I'll simply ask the author of the post directly what it means. Isn't that how I met you Seeks? I asked you for clarification of a word in one of your posts, wasn't it? Take care everyone and I'll look foreward to talking with you all in the near future. Actually probably tomorrow when I'll pester poor Akhe with another of my never-ending questions.[IMG]smileys/smiley1.gif" align="absmiddle" alt="Smile" /> Goodnite all respectfully-- Hunter 

Date Posted: 06 January 2009 at 12:36am
Hello brother Akhe.  Assalam alaikum  Not a good day on my end I'm sorry to report. My wife is really starting to have negative feelings about my finding Islam. She's afraid I'll get "sucked in" to the more radical or political aspects of it, threaten our family's safety, or simply become a different person. We had an argument about it after I got home from work. One of the coments she made was "Next thing I know, you'll be going to flight-school in Florida." I tried to joke it off, telling her I wasn't quite ready to join the Taliban just yet, but she wasn't having it. I think one thing she doesn't realize, is that rather than thinking "Oh, I suppose I could believe in this Islam thing." it was more a matter of discovering within Islam what I had always believed. My moral compass hasn't changed one degree since finding Islam. I haven't become a fundamentally different person and don't intend to. I want to work on my relationship with God in the company of other people who hold similar views. That's it! Nothing more! I fail to see how my sincere belief in a religion threatens my family. Just because my government, in its infinite st**idity, perceives Muslims to be the "evil dooers", doesn't mean that I personally am doing anything wrong by following it. Yes it makes me angry, but I think more than anything else, it just makes me sad. Take care my friend-- Hunter 

-------------

Posted By: Honzo
Date Posted: 06 January 2009 at 4:37am

Hello brother Akhe.  Assalam alaikum  Not a good day on my end I'm sorry to report. My wife is really starting to have negative feelings about my finding Islam. She's afraid I'll get "sucked in" to the more radical or political aspects of it, threaten our family's safety, or simply become a different person. We had an argument about it after I got home from work. One of the coments she made was "Next thing I know, you'll be going to flight-school in Florida." I tried to joke it off, telling her I wasn't quite ready to join the Taliban just yet, but she wasn't having it. I think one thing she doesn't realize, is that rather than thinking "Oh, I suppose I could believe in this Islam thing." it was more a matter of discovering within Islam what I had always believed. My moral compass hasn't changed one degree since finding Islam. I haven't become a fundamentally different person and don't intend to. I want to work on my relationship with God in the company of other people who hold similar views. That's it! Nothing more! I fail to see how my sincere belief in a religion threatens my family. Just because my government, in its infinite st**idity, perceives Muslims to be the "evil dooers", doesn't mean that I personally am doing anything wrong by following it. Yes it makes me angry, but I think more than anything else, it just makes me sad. Take care my friend-- Hunter 

salam brother,

Tht flight school things really cracked me up LOL

Now to serious matter, the best way to do dawah with ur wife, is e by being kind and loving towards her.
Show more love and care towards here then u used to do. Tell her not to judge muslims by the acts of few ppl. If hiltler killed 6 million jews tht doesnt me we shld blame christianity for tht.

The Holy Prophet (Sallallaho alaihi wasallam) has said: O people, your wives have a certain right over you and you have certain rights over them. Treat them well and be kind to them for they are your partners and committed helpers. (Tirmidhi)

If she asked y u hv u suddenly become so kind, u shld say our beloved prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) thought us so and said it is one an aspect of ur faith.

Kindness to the wife, an aspect of faith
    A'isha, (radhialiaho anha) reported Allah's messenger as saying, "Among the believers who show most perfect faith are those who have the best disposition, and are kindest to their families." (Tirmidhi)

The Best men

Abu Huraira (radhialiaho anho) reported Allah's messenger as saying, "The believers who show the most perfect faith are those who have the best disposition and the best of you are those who are best to their wives " (Tirmidhi)

Behaving with women emphasised

For the benefit of the believers who love and follow him, the Prophet Sallallaho alaihi wasallam) cited his own example to make these instructions more effective, he remarked:

The best of you is he who is best to his family, and I am the best among you to my family. [Tirmidthi]

spending for wife's comfort
    It is narrated by Abu-Darda (radhiallaho anho) that the Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) instructed me: "Spend as much as possible upon your family. . . " (Kanz)
This is indeed a source of encouragement to spend for the comfort of women.  The husband is also under an obligation to maintain his wife irrespective of whether she is rich or poor .

Those who are not generous with their wives should take heed of this advice.

Reward of everyday chores

The Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) has said; "Homemaking (Allah-willing) raises the station of a woman to the level of those who make Jihad “ (Kanz)
Jihad means striving the utmost in Allah's Path. Such a striving has many forms. Outwardly, this refers to the defense of the oppressed. Allah, Most Merciful, has revealed in the Holy Quran:
    "Fight in the way of Allah against those who fight against you, but begin not hostilities.  Lo! Allah loveth not aggressors" (Quran 2:190).

"If it were not because Allah repels some men by means of others, cloisters, churches, synagogues and mosques where Allah's name is mentioned frequently would have been demolished" (Quran 22:40).

"Why should you not fight for Allah's sake and of the oppressed men and of the women and the children who are crying: Our Lord! Lead us out of this town whose people are oppressors! Grant us a patron from Your Presence and grant us a defender from Your Presence" (Quran 4:75).

Efforts to restrain the nafs (the vain desires of the lower soul) has been called the greatest Jihad. The Holy Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) explained this mode of striving when returning from an expedition: "We are returning from the lesser Jihad (against our outward enemies), to the greater Jihad (against the nafs -the vain desires of the lower soul))"

Just as the foremost role of man within the context of his family is that of a provider, that of a woman in normal circumstances is the nurturing and management of domestic affairs. Despite this division of responsibilities being consistent with nature and optimal for maintaining the structure of a harmonious and organised society, Allah in His infinite mercy has blessed men and women with rewards for carrying out their respective primary roles.

Although this exceedingly great reward is a tremendous favour, the wife is at liberty to forego it and is fully entitled to ask the husband to arrange for domestic help. The wife's maintenance is not in lieu of any household services. Thus according to Shariah, housework or attending on the husband and children cannot be imposed on the wife as her religious obligation. On the other hand, remedial disciplinary recourse exists within the legal framework of Islam against husbands who deliberately abandon their primary responsibilities to the detriment of their wives.

Sharing domestic work with the wife.

This demonstrates the great inducement to care for women by sharing their domestic chores.

Paradise welcomes the wife

Anas (radhiallaho anho) reported Allah's messenger as saying, "When a woman observes the five times of prayer, fasts during Ramadan, preserves her chastity and obeys her husband, she may enter by any of the gates of paradise she wishes (in other words nothing will prevent her from entering paradise)." (Mishtat)
Thus if women are mindful of the compulsory injunctions of religion, there is no need for them to toil hard in performing strenuous acts of worship. By doing just the above they merit the same lofty ranks as awarded to men who perform demanding forms of worship. This is indeed one of the innumerable favours of Allah.

Allah's creation prays for the wife

The Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) has said: "The birds in flight, the fish in the rivers, the angels in heaven and the animals in the jungles seek repentance for the woman who is obedient and submits to her husband."

It is worth considering that merely upon doing the above women earn this great reward. It is to be noted that if there are any sins in one's account, those are forgiven by repentance and subsequent repentance causes elevation of one's grade in paradise.

Obedience towards the husband is not unqualified. The scope of obedience extends to those matters which are classified as the rights of the husband. Another rule is that the husband or anyone else cannot be obeyed if the act required amounts to disobedience of Allah.

None can be obeyed in acts of transgression to Allah.
Wives to enter paradise before men
    The Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) has said: "O women, the pious among you will enter Paradise before pious men. When the husbands will enter Paradise these women will be presented to their husbands after being bathed and perfumed. These women will be on red and yellow coloured conveyances accompanied by children (as beautiful) as scattered pearls."
A great saint has remarked: "O Ladies! What other superiority do you want? You will enter Paradise prior to men. Of course, being pious is a necessary condition, and this is not difficult.

Allah's special mercy on the wife

The Holy Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) has said: "May Allah show mercy to a woman who gets up during the night and prays, who wakens her husband and he prays, but if he refuses, sprinkles water on his face."
Reward for martyrdom
    The Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) also said in the above detailed hadith: "The woman who dies during pregnancy gets the status of a martyr. . . "
Rewards beyond imagination
    Addressing Salamah (radhiallaho anha), the nurse of his son Ibrahim (radhiallaho anho), the Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) said, "Does it not please any one of you that if she conceives by her husband and he is satisfied with her that she receives the reward of fasting and vigil for Allah's sake. And none of the dwellers of Heaven or Earth know about the coolness of her eyes (a unique repose) she will get for the labor pains she suffered. When she delivers, not mouthful of milk flows from her and not an instance of the child's suck, but that she receives for every suck and mouthful, the reward of a good deed. If she is kept awake by her child during the night she receives the reward of freeing seventy slaves for the sake of Allah."

The Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) then said: "O Sallamah do you know which women are being referred to? Those who despite piety and enjoying a respectable position obey their husbands and do not belittle them." (Al-Tabarani)

Reward through husband's earnings
    The Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) said: "When a woman spends (in the Path of Allah) from her husband's wealth, not wasting it (but spends reasonably and within permissible limits) she will have her reward for what she gave and her husband will have his for what he earned. The same applies to the storekeeper. The reward of any of these persons does not diminish the rewards of the others." (Bukhari)
In the life of this world, the title or ownership of wealth is outwardly assigned to human beings through apparent means such as earnings or inheritance, due to the necessity of organising the affairs of an orderly society. However all human beings are on an equal footing in terms of real ownership of possessions, in view of the fact that it is not man but Allah Who is the Absolute Owner. The husband, the wife, and even an employee who arranges for the charity payment to be made, are all rewarded due to their respective roles in facilitating the giving of charity and not on account of their temporary ownership of what was donated. This saying of the Holy Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) is a source of profound reassurance for ladies not to fear that giving charity without having personally earned the money carries no reward.

Reward for pilgrimage

Narrated A'isha (radhiallaho anha), the mother of the faithful believers: I requested the Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) to permit me to participate in Jihad, but he said, "Your Jihad is the performance of Hajj." (Bukhari)
Note: Hajj: The pilgrimage to the Kabah is obligatory on Muslims(The first House of Allah founded on earth for His worship in Makkah), once in a lifetime, provided one has the means to undertake the tourney.
    According to another narration, the Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) remarked, "The (best) Jihad (for women) is (the performance) of Hajj." (Bukhari)
Jihad is the most difficult form of worship and women merit its reward by just performing Hajj which is very easy compared to Jihad. It is to be noted that there were many honourable Muslim ladies who participated in the early Jihads. The above ahadith refer to those circumstances in which Jihad is Fard-i-Kifaya (an obligatory duty which if fulfilled by a part of the community, absolves the rest).

Reward earned in the safety of the home.

The Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) has said: "Waging Jihad is not obligatory for women (as long as it remains Fard-e-Kifaya), nor is attending (congregational) prayers on Fridays and accompanying funerals." (Kanz)
Imagine the great reward that women earn within their homes!

Reward for the loving wife

The Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) has said:: "Allah likes the woman who obeys and loves her husband and protects herself from other men." (Kanz)
The above implies that the woman should not consider it beneath her dignity to love and obey her husband.

Men counterparts of Women

The Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) said: "Women are twin halves of men." (Kanz)
The creation of Hawwa (Eve) from Adam (alaihis salam) is well known. Both men and women being from the same essence, their rights and obligations are also similar. Therefore even if the virtues of women had not been detailed separately, it would not have been a cause of concern, as they are automatically covered by the same rewards. Thus the virtues of good deeds earned by men are the same as those which women earn.

Leniency towards women enjoined

The Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) instructed in the longer hadith: "Act kindly toward women, for a woman is created from a rib. . . " (Bukhari)
This teaches men not to demand infallibility from women. If some incompatibility of temperaments persists in the relationship, the husband should give up his obsession to change the wife's nature. Just ponder how much leniency and forbearance is enjoined by the Holy Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) towards the lapses of women.

The Best women

Prayer for modest women,
    The Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) said: "May Allah have mercy on women who wear the sirwal (loose fitting lower garment)." (Kanz)
Our natural instinct of bashfulness prompts us to cover the body adequately, nonetheless the Holy Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam), in his boundless compassion for women, prayed for those who dress modestly.

The great value of women's actions.

The Holy Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) has said: "The vice of an immoral woman is equal to the vice of a thousand immoral men while the virtue of a pious woman is equal to the reward of worship of seventy saints." (Kanz)
What a great reward for a virtuous deed of a woman. It is indeed a great favour and a source of felicity for women.

Honourable mention of the wife.

The Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) has said: "The best among your wives is the one who is chaste and loves her husband." (Kanz)
Purity and loving the husband is only natural, yet women are rewarded for it.

Verbal honour earns reward

A companion said, "O Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) I have a wife, When I meet her she says, 'Welcome my chief and the chief of my household. ' When she finds me in a sad mood she says, 'Why worry about this world when the provision for your after-life is being earned (anyway)?" ' Upon hearing this the Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) said; "Inform that lady that she is among the workers of Allah , and she earns the rewards of half Jihad." (Kanz)
This is the great reward for just verbally honouring the husband.

Quality of reward with men

Asma (radhiallaho anha), reported that she approached the Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) on behalf of women and mentioned that men have excelled women due to their participation in Friday and congregational prayers, visiting the sick, attending funeral prayers, performing the Hajj; and Umra and due to participation in Jihad. The Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) replied: "Go and inform the women that their beautification for their husbands, discharging their rights, seeking their pleasure and obeying them is equal in reward (to the above mentioned acts) of men." (Kanz)
The great reward for nurturing
    The Holy Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) said: "From the instant of conceiving up to the delivery and nursing of the baby, the woman gets the same reward as the one who has been appointed to guard the boundaries of Islam and remains steadfast for Jihad. If she dies during this period, she gets the reward of a martyr." (Kanz)
Besides the mother's exclusive opportunity to be rewarded in the hereafter, she enjoys vast authority and status in addition to her spousal rights. In her role of motherhood she has an unquestionably privileged position in relation to her husband. The following is a very brief but exact picture of these Islamic teachings.
    “We have enjoined man to respect his parents; his mother bears him in weakness upon weakness, while his weaning takes two years. Thank Me as well as your parents; unto Me is the journeying.” (Quran 31:14)

Your Lord has decreed that you should worship none except Him, and (that you show) kindness to your parents. If one or both of them attain old age (while they are) with you, never say to them 'Shame!' nor scold either of them. Speak to them in a respectable fashion and lower unto them the wing of submission through mercy, and say: My Lord! Have mercy on them both as they did care for me when I was little. (Quran 17:23,24)

Worship none save Allah (only) and be good to parents and also near relatives, orphans and the needy. (Quran 2:83)

A few sayings of the Holy Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) are also cited which enjoin kindness towards the mother:
    Jahmah (radhiallaho anho) said to the Holy Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam), "O Messenger of Allah, I desire to go on a (military) expedition and I have come to consult you." He asked him if he had a mother, and when he replied that he had, he said: "Stay with her because Paradise lies beneath her feet." (An-Nasai)

A man asked the Holy Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) to whom he should show kindness and he replied: "Your mother" He asked who comes next and he replied, "Your mother." He asked who comes next and he replied, "Your mother." He asked who comes next and he replied, "Your father, then your relatives in order of relationship." (Tirmizi, Abu Da'ud)

According to the learned scholars of Islam the reason for giving preference to the mother is on account of her exceptional efforts such as the difficulties of pregnancy, delivery and nurturing. Therefore she alone is blessed to deserve recompense for this in the hereafter as well as greater honour in this life.
    Narrated Anas (radhiallaho anho): A man came to the messenger of Allah (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) and said: I longed to go on Jihad but I was not able to. He said: Is either one of your parents still alive? The man said: My mother. He said: Allah has instructed us in devotion to her, so if you do thus, you are as one who has made the Hajj, the umrah and participated in jihad." (At-Tabarani)

“Narrated Ibn 'Abbas (radhiallaho anho): Do not leave your mother unless she gives permission or death takes her, because that is the greatest (deed) for your rewards." (Al-Kabir):

"Narrated Abdullah Ibn Amr Ibn Al-As (radhiallaho anho) about the Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) that he said: The major sins are associating anything with Allah, and rudeness to parents, and killing anyone and swearing a false oath purposefully." (Bukhari)

Narrated Abu Isa Al-Mughirah (radhiallaho anho) that the Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) said: Verily, Allah forbade for you, rudeness to mothers." (Muslim)

It is to be noted that the Muslim women enjoy special privileges not only as mothers and wives but also as daughters
    The Holy Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) said: "Whoever brings up two girls until they attain adulthood, he will be with me on the Day of Judgement, and so close to me as these two (adjacent) fingers of mine (and he pointed to his two fingers joined together). (Muslim)

Narrated Ibn Abbas (radhiallaho anho): There is no Muslim, whose two daughters reach the age (of adulthood), and he is good to them as a companion, and they do not cause him to enter Paradise." (Bukhari)]

Angels applaud women
    The Holy Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) said: "Each time the baby sucks milk the nursing woman gets the reward as of giving life to a mortal and when she completes the feeding the angels pat her on the shoulders and declare that all her past sins have been forgiven." (Kanz)
Minor sins are implied in this hadith, but this too is no small favor.

Pleasant after-life assured

A'isha (radhiallaho anha) narrates the hadith that the woman whose husband is absent and she guards herself in such a manner that she does not adorn herself, and stays home and observes the prayers regularly, will be raised as a virgin on the Day of Judgment. If her husband was a believer she will be his wife in Paradise. If he was not a believer (e.g. Allah forbid he turned a disbeliever and died in that condition), Allah will marry her to a martyr." (Kanz)
The price of leadership
    A’isha (radhiallaho anho) said that a man does not become the head of the household until he gives up the concern (out of consideration for the other members of his family) about what he wore and what food he ate to satisfy his hunger. (Kanz)
This is an admonition for those who are heedless of their family members due to their preoccupation with food and clothe

Some essential duties of husbands

Should there be any argument in the family, the husband is urged not to leave the home, as such a separation would cause distress and worry to the wife.

Husband forbidden to hate wife.

Abu Huraira (radhiallaho anho) reported Allah's Messenger (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) as saying; "A believing man must not hate a believing woman. If he dislikes one of her characteristics he will be pleased with another (of her good qualities)." (Mishtat)
Men should forbear any shortcomings of women in view of this teaching and the following Quranic injunction:
    “Live with them in kindness; even if you dislike them, perhaps you dislike something in which Allah has placed much good. (Quran 4:19)
Patience earns Paradise.
    The Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) said: "None of you will lose three children by death and accept it (as Allah's will with the intent of earning reward) without entering Paradise." (Muslim)
In the above, similar hadith, a lady enquired, "O Prophet of Allah! what if only two children die?"

Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) informed that the recompense is the same even for two.

According to another narration, a companion enquired' about the death of only one child. In this case also the Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) conveyed the glad tidings of a great reward.

The Holy Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) said in the above, longer hadith: "If a woman has a miscarriage, even the (still-born) foetus will drag its mother to Paradise provided she forbears with the intention of earning reward. . . " (Kanz)

Wife best Teasure of man
    The Holy Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) said: "The best treasure is an obedient wife having a good disposition so that her husband is pleased to see her and she obeys him and when the husband is not home she protects her chastity.

Should an attitude of defiance be adopted (as opposed to that of mutual consultation) it will naturally lead to discord the family which will be ruinous for all. This hadith therefore enjoins loyalty and faithfulness with a promise of a vast reward. (Ma 'Arif al Hadith)

Pleasant attitude with the wife
    A'isha (radhiallaho anha) has related that the Holy Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) would enter the house with a pleasing disposition and a smile on his lips. (Uswa-i-Hasna)

Ibn Mastud (radhiallaho anho) said, "Mix with the people on the condition that your religion is not injured, and joke with your family." (Bukhari)

Affinity with the wife
    The Holy Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) has said: "O men. There is a reward in your affinity with the wife." (Ibn Hiban)
Tender dealings with women
    During the farewell Pilgrimage the Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) said to the camel driver: "Anjasha, drive slowly; for you are carrying (on the camels, women, delicate like fine) glassware." (Muslim)

`Narrated Abu Qatadah (radhiallaho anho): The Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) said: When I stand for prayer, I intend to prolong it, but on hearing the cries of a child, I cut it short, as I dislike to trouble the child's mother." (Bukhari)

Advice for Husband

Women's rights are duties of men

After perusing the preceding teachings of Allah and His beloved Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam), the religious minded will hopefully become happily willing to grant the rights of women. If it is still a burden for anyone's ego then it should be kept in mind that fulfilling the ordained rights is not merely for the sake of the person entitled to those rights. By discharging the rights, one is actually fulfilling his own duty.

The verse of the Holy Quran

outlines the mutual rights of spouses, and emphasises that men are under the same obligation to grant women's rights as women are to grant the rights of men.

A subtle hint in this verse is that instead of each demanding his, or her, rights, they should be mindful of their duty towards each other. This will eliminate the problem of demanding one's rights because the rights of women are nothing but the duties ordained for men. Likewise men's rights are merely duties enjoined upon women. Thus when the respective duties are performed, the rights of each party will automatically be fulfilled.

Nowadays, the root cause of disputes is that everyone keeps his rights in focus but is heedless of his own obligations. This attitude leads to bitter quarrels among couples or other parties having mutual dealings. The above interpretation of the Quranic verse teaches the method of avoiding this sad trend by emphasising that each should make all conceivable effort to fulfil the rights of the other, while at the same time adopt leniency, flexibility and forgiveness concerning assertion of his own rights. Allah's pleasure can be earned by giving up the exacting fulfilment of one's own rights.

Wife's freedom

May thousands of blessings be upon the Holy Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam), a mercy for the worlds, and blessings also upon the true religion of Allah revealed to him. Islam has brought the world out of darkness by establishing the criterion of right and wrong and has taught respect for others. It has established justice and enjoined the rights of women and men as being duties to be performed by each. Islam has bestowed freedom and independence upon women and has also conferred upon them full ownership and authority over their lives and property, like it has upon men. No one, be he a father a grandfather can oblige a woman to marry someone against her wishes. Should she be married without her consent, the validity of such a contract becomes solely dependent upon her whole hearted acceptance, failing which it is annulled.

It is the wife's right to be provided with a suitable residence which allows her comfort and privacy. To ensure the wife's independence, the Islamic Law (Shariah) has given her the exclusive right over her home, in that none of the husband's dependants or relatives may live in the same dwelling without her willingness and consent.

Another consideration from the requirements for suitable residence is that the neighbourhood should be of virtuous people amidst whom the wife does not experience fear or loneliness
    House women wherever you reside, according to your circumstances, and do not harass them in order to make life difficult for them. (Quran 65:6)
Kind and friendly treatment towards the wife's relatives is expected of the husband, so much so that her senior blood relations should also be regarded as his elders. If the wife's parents are ill or incapacitated with no one to serve them, the wife has the right to look after them as often as required even if they are disbelievers. The husband has no right to prevent her from doing so.
    Asma (radhiallaho anha) said, "My mother who was a pagan, came with her father during the period of the peace pact between the Muslims and the Quraish infidels. I went to seek the advice of the Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) saying, My mother has arrived and she is hoping (for my favour)." The Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) said, "Yes, be good to your mother." (Good treatment implies good behaviour; helping her financially; visiting her etc.) (Bukhari)
Islam has granted both married and single women the incontestable right to retain any wealth or properties in their own names, and they have the unequivocal authority to independently carry out any transactions of acquisitions and sales concerning such holdings.

Thus no male has the authority to spend from the wealth and property of a female without her permission. Women remain fully independent and cannot be coerced in any way. Even in the event of divorce or their husband's death, women get their share of inheritance as stipulated by Islamic Law in the same way as men get their share. However, unlike men, women are not responsible for maintaining any relative, irrespective of their sound financial standing. The husband is not at liberty to help his relatives at the detriment of his own family.

Narrated Abu Huraira (radhiallaho anho): Allah's Apostle (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) said, "The best alms is that which you give when you are rich, and you should support your dependants first." (Bukhari)

Abu Huraira (radhiallaho anho) reported Allah's Messenger (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) as saying: Of the dinar (money) that you spend as a contribution in Allah's path, or to set free a slave, or as charity given to a needy, or to support your family, the one yielding the greatest reward is that which you spent on your family. (Muslim)

If the husband does not provide for his family, the wife can take of his wealth what is sufficient for her needs and the needs of her children, in a reasonable way.

The Islamic Law revealed to the Prophet, upon whom be thousands of blessings, teaches that pleasing women and spending for their welfare is a form of worship. Should the husband fail to grant her essential rights, she has the recourse of Islamic Law to secure the same or else compel him to divorcee her. (The vast rights of women in matters of divorce, alimony, child custody, etc., may be seen in books of Islamic Jurisprudence)

To prevent injustice and distress, it is in-sufficient to fulfil rights that merely satisfy the letter of the Law. The underlying spirit of the Law is equally important. Therefore, according to Islam the social norms are an additional criterion to determine if the parties are suffering injustice. Hence Islam forbids those attitudes and dealings which inflict injury or annoyance according to the established norms of society. For example, ignoring someone in a given society might be more painful than in another society. These matters cannot be dealt with in courts of Law, therefore they are encompassed by this provision of "social norms."

Common usage is (binding like) a condition
Removing ladies from the guardianship of men leads to chaos and is in itself a form of encroaching upon women's rights. Just as Islam has checked the cruelty and injustice of violating the rights of women, likewise it upholds that burdening them to fend for themselves and their withdrawal from the leadership of men is an infringement of their rights. Neither can the woman's delicate constitution endure this hardship nor can her management of domestic affairs and her honourable natural function of nurturing her children bear this distraction. Therefore, along with mentioning women's rights, the Quran declares that men are a degree above women, which simply alludes to their obligation of being responsible for women, as explained earlier. There are dire warning for any negligence on the part of men in fulfilling this ordained duty. Allah has warned:
    You who believe, shield yourselves and your families from a fire whose fuel will be men and stones. . . " (Quran 66:6)
In preceding verses, the Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) was enjoined to urge his wives to do good. The above verse emphasises this as a duty for all Muslims. Men have been exhorted not to be heedless about shaping the character of their family.
    When this ordinance was revealed, Umar (radhiallaho anho) mentioned, "O Messenger of Allah ! It is understandable to worry about saving oneself from Hell-fire (by avoiding sins and adhering firmly to the Divine Commandments), but how can we save our families from Hell?" Allah's Prophet responded: "This can be achieved by dissuading your family from whatever Allah has forbidden you and by enjoining the deeds which Allah has enjoined on you. Your family can thus be saved from Hell."
The Muslim jurists have explained that it is obligatory to arrange for the religious education and training of the wife and children. Men whose families are ignorant of religion will suffer the most severe punishment in the Hereafter. The following forewarning is included for those who believe in Allah as their Lord on Whom we are totally dependent, and who also believe in the compassion of His Prophet Muhammad (sallallaho alaihi wasallam).
    Beware, each of you is a guardian and each of you will be questioned about your wards. The man is the guardian of his family and will be answerable about every member of it. . . (Mishkat)
According to another hadith:
    The one to whom Allah entrusted the responsibility of supervision but he did not perform this duty satisfactorily, and did not impart good instructions; will not even smell the fragrance of Paradise. (Mishkat)
Guidelines for men

In carrying out the entrusted duty of supervision, men should proceed gradually and sensibly, exercising magnanimity and patience. The learned scholars should be consulted to avoid extremes, because an unbalanced attitude causes cruelty, and quarrels. Instead of producing a virtuous result, the immoderate approach results in evil and sin.

The blessed Islamic Law has also forbidden unfounded suspicion, mistrust, inquisitiveness and undue investigation. On the contrary, Islam teaches wise and subtle manners for a pleasant social life. For example, it is also from among the mannerisms of returning from a journey that the husband should convey the news about his return to his family, so that they might not be taken by surprise.

The following saying of the Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) narrated by Jabir (radhiallaho anho) contains this teaching:

We were with the Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) on an expedition. When we were about to enter Madina the Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) told us to wait until later in the evening in order that the lady with unkempt hair may comb it and the woman whose husband has been away may get herself clean. (Muslim)
This teaching suggests that the wife should be informed about the return to avoid something surfacing that might be misconstrued by the returning husband, or which might arouse his suspicion. On the whole, all the sayings of the Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) emphasise the importance of women and reflect the deep concern of Islamic Law about their issues.

http://www.as-sidq.org/women.html

Date Posted: 06 January 2009 at 11:56am

As Salaamulaikum Brother Hunter.I use to be married also to a non-Muslim women a divorced for eight years now we had one son who is now 9and she also had two children already so it gets to be more complicated even though,We tin to complicate things ourselves.Brother Hunter always try to remain calm and full of taqwa(patience)Inshallah.You have to show the beauty of Islam through your actions and your words remember its not just a Deen(religion)its a way of life that shows us how to conduct ourselfs and get along with others, yes even the Kaffars.I am not perfect and I have alot of corrections in my own life to make(Inshallah).Alhamduillah" I have the right path to follow.Its up to us to show others.I was ounce read that marriage is have your Iman(faith).It's never a smooth ride speaking for myself.Save yourself and your family.But sometimes things get so hard and out of our hands to the piont We must save ourselves.   

Date Posted: 06 January 2009 at 12:13pm

Salam alaikum.
In this kind of situatuion, the best thing to do is to have patience with yourself and your family.
Have faith and pray to Allah.
Your wife is just confused so take it easy on her.
do not act so quickly as to do the wrong thing. Pray to Allah!! Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 06 January 2009 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Imani

Salam alaikum.

In this kind of situatuion, the best thing to do is to have patience with yourself and your family.

Have faith and pray to Allah.

Your wife is just confused so take it easy on her.

do not act so quickly as to do the wrong thing. Pray to Allah!! [IMG]http://www.islamicity.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Smile" />
As Salaamulaikum Sister Imani.Jazakallah Kheiran for your reply nicely put.I hope that I wasnt wrong on the greetings with Sister its a habbit and Ive known both sexes with the name, mostly inpart of there parents nameing them just because its cute.

Date Posted: 06 January 2009 at 11:53pm
Imani, Honzo, Akhe  Assalamu alaikum  Hello everyone! I hope I didn't miss anyone. I had no idea so many people were reading my posts-- how embarassing. I figured only Akhe was listening. First, I want to thank each one of you for taking the time out of whatever you were doing to give me your thoughtful advice and support. The advice from everyone here seems to be to use patience and kindness in dealing with my wife, and I agree. While I haven't done anything wrong, she really hasn't either; she's just scared. How quickly I've forgotten that only a year ago, I myself mistakenly thought of Islam as evil. I've read the Quran, the Hadiths (most of them), and talked to you people-- she's done none of these things. If Islam is a hard transition for me, it's also been hard for her. I think her greatest fear is loosing me to something else, and something else she doesn't even understand. Inshallah, in time she'll see I'm still the man she loved and married, only perhaps even better. What has drawn me to God to begin with is gratitude for the wonderful gifts I've been given in life, and a genuine desire to be the best person I possibly can be. I'm no saint and patience isn't my greatest attribute, but I'll work on it-- both for her sake and for mine. Apart from the fact that she's a die-hard Minnesota Vikings fan (I forgive her of that), she's a wonderful, sweet, good-hearted woman, and yes Honzo, she's quick witted and funny even when she's angry. Thank you all again. Respectfully-- Hunter

-------------

Date Posted: 07 January 2009 at 1:42am
So, Akhe my brother  Assalamu alaikum  Did the difference of faith in your marriage also cause problems? If so, how did you handle them? My wife and I also have kids from different marriages. I have two daughters from a prior marriage, one has since gotten married and moved out. I live with my wife, her daughter from a previous marriage, my younger daughter, and she has a son who lives with his father in NH. Again, my situation is similar to the one you described. It isn't a life without complications, but most of the time it's the life I've always wanted and thought I'd never have. I'm grateful for the life I have-- I wouldn't trade lives with anyone I can think of offhand. That alone says something. Take care my friend, and thanks again for the help-- Hunter

-------------

Date Posted: 07 January 2009 at 3:25am

Honzo's post was a crashcourse in how good it is to be a Muslimah. I enjoyed it, Jazakallah.

I bet if Hunter's wife would read/experience all that, her reservations about Islam would be greatly reduced. This is what Islam predominantly is about, unfortunately we get to hear only the Jihad aspect, which is why people form an aversion to it - so I can actually understand why ppl would think that way. Anyway, Goodluck Hunter, Inshallah things shall be better. . Actions speak louder than words, Give it a bit more time and keep up ur patience.

Take Care.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 January 2009 at 8:40am

So, Akhe my brother  Assalamu alaikum  Did the difference of faith in your marriage also cause problems? If so, how did you handle them? My wife and I also have kids from different marriages. I have two daughters from a prior marriage, one has since gotten married and moved out. I live with my wife, her daughter from a previous marriage, my younger daughter, and she has a son who lives with his father in NH. Again, my situation is similar to the one you described. It isn't a life without complications, but most of the time it's the life I've always wanted and thought I'd never have. I'm grateful for the life I have-- I wouldn't trade lives with anyone I can think of offhand. That alone says something. Take care my friend, and thanks again for the help-- Hunter
Wa Alaikum Salaam Rahmatuallah(Mercy of Allah and his Blessings) Brother Hunter.My ex-Wife and I got along well as far as her tolerance of my Deen.She knew I was practicing Islam and inspiring to be Muslim at that time.I say that out of respect for the Ummah.I had alot of issues and was struggling to stay on my Deen.Lets say I was just intering Islam the Orthodox way and my first 3yrs was a transition I was 19yrs old when I entered the fold of Al-Islam.22yrs old when I got married.My Imam once told me that it did'nt matter that she was'nt Muslim but that it would make alot of things easier.She respected but not excepted.Lets put it this way she gave up on trying I was'nt interested in divorce she was and she started to show alot of signs of depression.I had to do the right thing for both of us and let her have her divorce.Yes it was hard I still love her till this day for Allah's sake. We get along great she is re-married.Alhamduillah.Not what you think I never had to pay any allomny I handle my buisness(Inshallah)and she knew I had a son also besides the one we had.May Allah forgive for not mentioning him in the last post.It wasnt on purpose.I was trying relate the story of when I was married I did not see him alot at that time.After my incarceration which was 3months after his birth his mother never forgave me for that at the time.Its a messy situation I had to go to court alot for custody and visitation.Thats another story.

Date Posted: 08 January 2009 at 1:51am
Assalamu alaikum  Hi brother Akhe. You have two sons then? I have the two daughters I've already mentioned, and once, I also had a son. He isn't anything I want to bring up in this forum; it's a topic for another place, another time Inshallah. You and I have many things in common; pain, grief, loss and probably some guilt over the past are unfortunately among those things. Regret is pointless I know; most of the bad things that happened in my life were things I did to myself, or the result of poor decisions I've made. Still, I sometimes can't help but wonder what things would be like if I could go back and do it all over, knowing what I know now. Pointless thinking I know. Take good care my friend-- Hunter

-------------

Posted By: Seerat
Date Posted: 08 January 2009 at 12:31pm
salam every one i am a new participant , hope to find a friendly enviornment . i just moved to pakistan frm kuwait and theres a lot of differences , hopefully i will get settled for now i am 17 and very energetic debator and hope to do well

make you all live in peace takecare of yurselfe and the ppl around u

allahhafiz

Date Posted: 08 January 2009 at 11:38pm
Assalamu alaikum  Hello Seerat and welcome to the forum. I think you'll find this place is full of friendly people who also like to debate. I hope you enjoy your time here. I'm just an old (42 years old) American, trying to learn all I can about Islam.

Hello again Chrysalis my friend. I agree that we often don't hear anything but negative about Islam, particularly from westen media sources. It's almost a deliberate distortion of an otherwise peaceful religion. As I said before, I once thought the same thing myself. Thank you for your kind words and encouragement; I think everything with my wife will be ok, Inshallah. Take good care-- Hunter

-------------

Print Page | Close Window