Forum Name: Famous Quotes
Forum Discription: Famous Quotes
URL: http://www.IslamiCity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30607
Printed Date: 01 October 2014 at 8:07am

Topic: Quotes from great Sufis
Posted By: Muslim75
Subject: Quotes from great Sufis
Date Posted: 06 August 2014 at 12:15pm

Let us post quotes from eminent Sufis. Their words are sublime. Please, for clarity, let us post one quote per post.

Here is the first one:

"The seeker of pearls must be in the bottom of the sea." - Jalal Al Din Rumi

Replies:
Date Posted: 08 August 2014 at 9:15am

Greetings to you Caringheart,

Sufis are sunnis. Shiism and sufism are two different things. Sufism strongly comdemns shiism.

Date Posted: 08 August 2014 at 9:42am
Abu Loren,

There are real Sufis, there are false Sufis, and there are mistaken Sufis. Sufism is fard (obligation) according to the great Imam Ghazali, him who is known to the muslims as Hujjatul Islam (the proof of Islam). Imam Malik said the science of fiqh (jurisprudence) and the science of sufism (tasawwuf) must be combined to achieve success. Both fields are necessary. The Sahabas themselves were doing sufism but it was not named as such at that time. There was no need for a name. Sufism was the only thing everyone knew. To make my point clear I shall talk about the definition and the pillars of sufism as mentioned by Al Yadali, one great saint of the past and a descendant of Muhammad (saw). Then you will see that this is what the Sahabas were doing.

Imam Ghazali says Sufism is the ridding the heart of absolutely everything except Allah. In Hadith, Muhammad (saw) said that Ihsan meant to worship Allah as if you see Him, for if you don't see Him still He sees you. There are 8 pillars of sufism according to Al Yadali: silence, hunger, wakefulness, solitude, repentance, constant uprightness, shunning innovation and fear of Allah expressed both outwardly and inwardly.

That being said, let us go on with the quotes. Please join us.

Date Posted: 08 August 2014 at 10:39am
Abu Loren,

You must know that even Ibn Taymiyya is a firm advocate of the reality of fana (annihilation in english, one important concept in sufism). in his book "Fatawa Ibn Taymiyya" he talks about it and praises many of the great Sufis like Abd Al Qadir Jilani or Rabia or Abu Yazid Al Bistami.

So really, Sufism is the quintessential and most important part of Islam.

Date Posted: 08 August 2014 at 10:43am
"O you who hope for paradise, you are a merchant. O you who fear hell, you are a slave."

Abd Al Qadir Jilani

Date Posted: 08 August 2014 at 1:47pm
Uways Al Qarani: "O Ali (Ali Ibn Abi Talib), how many times did you see Muhammad ?"
Ali: "I saw him one time."

Date Posted: 08 August 2014 at 2:10pm
"We were going to the Ka'aba with Hasan Basri. In the desert we were quite thirsty, as we arrived to a well where there were no bucket and no rope to take the water. Hasan Basri said: When I start to pray, it will be possible to drink water from this well. As soon as he started to pray, water rose to the top of the well and everyone started to drink. However, as soon as one of us brought a jug and filled it, the water went back to the bottom of the well. Thereupon Hasan Basri said: O people of the caravan, because you did not proclaim the greatness of our Lord exalted, the water went back to the bottom of the well. After we were quite away from this well, Hasan Basri found a date on the ground and gave it to us. After we ate it, we saw that it had a golden stone. We provided for our expenses in Madina with half of the gold, and we gave the other half in charity."

An anonymous venerable man

Date Posted: 09 August 2014 at 9:38am
"Claim to divinity never came from a woman." - Rabia Al Adawiya

Date Posted: 09 August 2014 at 9:43am
"O Allah, pray on him (Muhammad, saw) whose light made the flowers to blossom." - Imam Jazuli

Date Posted: 09 August 2014 at 9:47am

"If someone hits you with an axe - while you pray - you should not notice it."

Uways Al Qarani

Date Posted: 11 August 2014 at 7:16am
"Thanks to the help of my Lord, I got rid of my carnal self, used to idleness, and my Lord, as another favour gave me the knowledge which had no beginning. Out of His generosity, He placed in my mouth a tongue capable of speaking and He gave me an eye emanating from His light. With this eye I could see all the beings that have been created. With this tongue that grew in my mouth by the greatness of the Lord, when i talked to Him in the ardour of a secret converse, it came to me a part of His sovereign knowledge."

Abu Yazid Al Bistami, Sultan Al Arifin

Date Posted: 11 August 2014 at 7:22am

"I read in the Tawra that our Lord said: O sincere men, take pleasure from My favours in this world, but do it while remembering Me; for it is great pleasure to remember Me, and thanks to this remembrance of Me that you do in this world, you will find in the next world high honors."

Malik Dinar 

Date Posted: 11 August 2014 at 7:25am
"O Hur, I divorced the world thrice because I wish to reach you."

Utbatul Ghulam

Date Posted: 12 August 2014 at 9:12am
I had posted quotes a while ago which don't appear. I hope the moderators will soon approve them. Meanwhile here is another quote.

"On one summer day, while I was walking in the streets of Baghdad, I suddenly felt thirst. I asked for water in a house. A child brought some to me and seeing me exclaimed, does a Sufi drink water in broad daylight ? From that moment on I always fasted during the day."

Abu Muhammad Ruyam

Date Posted: 12 August 2014 at 9:18am
"One day, in Madina, I went to visit the tomb of the Prophet (saw) and said: O Messenger of Allah, I came here as your guest. At night I saw in a dream the Prophet (saw) who gave me a round piece of bread. I ate half of it in my dream, and when I woke up I was holding in my hand the other half."

Abu Abdallah Jala

Date Posted: 12 August 2014 at 9:23am

"Whoever loves the prophet (saw) also loves to follow his Sunna."

Ibrahim Raqqi

Date Posted: 13 August 2014 at 9:10am
Abu Loren,

In Surah 92, Allah warned of a fire blzing fiercely, which none shall reach save the most unfortunate, who give lie to the truth and turn their backs.

Also in hadith, He warned that He declares war on someone who shows hostility to one of His friends. It is not something light.

Date Posted: 13 August 2014 at 9:12am
"I am dust at the feet of Muhammad, Al Mustafa"

Jalal Ad Din Rumi

Date Posted: 13 August 2014 at 9:19am
"If those who love the close family of Muhammad are heretics, then let all men and jinns bear witness that I am a heretic"

Imam Shafi'i

Date Posted: 13 August 2014 at 9:22am
"One of the names of Sayyidina Muhammad is Nur (Light)"

Shaykh Muhammad Nazim Al Haqqani, Sultan Al Awliya

Date Posted: 15 August 2014 at 8:14am

"It is impossible to see with the eyes the different stations that are on the road to Allah, not more than we can arrive to Him with the tongue. Therefore, take care to keep your heart awake. When it will be so, it will be with His eyes that you will see the road and it will be possible for you to reach your station."

Rabia Al Adawiya

Date Posted: 15 August 2014 at 8:21am

"All the vices were put together in a house which key was the love of this world. All the virtues were put together in another house which key was the hate of this world."

Fuzail Iyadh

Date Posted: 15 August 2014 at 8:27am
"O Allah, You granted me so great love of You that the 7 paradises have no more value to me."

Ibrahim Adham

Date Posted: 16 August 2014 at 3:45am
"To those to whom the gift of love is not given, every night, at their door, I am the angel of death." - Jalal Al Din Rumi

Date Posted: 16 August 2014 at 3:59am
"On my way to the Ka'aba, I saw an old lady who was holding a stick. Taking money from my pocket, I invited the lady to accept that money and use it for her needs. She refused, but stretching her hand in the void, she picked up a handful of money and gave it to me saying: you take money from your pocket, I take it from the invisible world. Then she disappeared."

Sahl At Tustari

Date Posted: 16 August 2014 at 4:05am
"Whoever wants to be honored in this world and the next, let him ask nothing to the creatures, let him not pass ill judgments on no one and let him not go to anyone asking for hospitality. Whoever tries to make a name for himself will not taste the sweets of the next world. The specialty of the affectionate servants is that their heads are always in worship and their tongues in praising, and their perpetual activity is patience and gratefulness."

Bushr Hafi
(Hafi in Arabic means one who walks barefoot)

Date Posted: 18 August 2014 at 1:32pm
"Take care to stay away from the delights of this world, because, on the Day of Judgment, those who loved it will be brought on the field of the judgment and it will be proclaimed: O you who are gathered here! know it well that before you are the servants who held in esteem that which Allah the Exalted ordered to hate and approved that which He ordered to reject."

Abu Hashim Makki

Date Posted: 18 August 2014 at 1:42pm
"Him who fears Allah the Exalted, his tongue abstains from the talks of this world. The servant that Allah loves, He creates for him all kinds of difficulties in the affairs of this world. Those whom He considers enemies, He opens for them all doors and try them through wordly pleasures."

Fuzayl Iyadh 

Date Posted: 18 August 2014 at 1:54pm
"One day I saw a beautiful palace by the side of a river where I was making my ablutions. On the roof of this palace, I saw a beautiful girl. Curious as to who she was, I asked the name of her master. She said to me: O Dhun Nun, from afar I thought you were a mad man, from a little closer I thought you were a knower, from yet closer I thought you were a learned man; but after more scrutiny I see that you are neither a mad man, nor a knower, nor a learned man...If you were a mad man you would not have done acts of worship. If you were a learned man, you would not have looked at a person you are forbidden to look at. If you were a knower, nothing of that which is not Allah the Exalted would have drawn your gaze; and, saying this, she disappeared."

Dhun Nun Al Misri

Date Posted: 23 August 2014 at 5:59am
Dear forumers,

I apologise for my long absence.

"Stricken, like thunder, I spoke the secret of the sea, and like the thirsty cloud, I slept on the seashore."

Jalal Al Din Rumi

Date Posted: 23 August 2014 at 10:23am
"I am not someone who inculquates hate. I am not someone who tries through political strategy to overthrow a government. I try to build bridges, fill gaps and facilitate the coming together of the people. This is my philosophy, and I learned it from my teacher, Shaykh Muhammad Nazim Al Haqqani, a Sufi teacher. In Sufism, like Rumi, we enjoy poetry; we are emotional, we are compassionate, we are sincere, we are pious and we want for everyone to live in peace. This is our message. All of us must be happy on this earth. I feel I experience it in Singapore. I see the Chinese and the Muslims living side by side, saying we are Singaporians. They don’t say we are Chinese Singaporians, or we are Muslim Singaporians. We feel their nationalism. They don’t speak about their religion. There is a very good harmony in that relationship. We hope other countries will follow the Singaporian model of moderation."

Shaykh Muhammad Hisham Kabbani Ar Rabbani An Naqshbandi

Date Posted: 23 August 2014 at 10:26am

"O Allah, spread Your graces and Your peace on the source of the divine mercy, sparkling like diamond, certain in his truth, embracing the center of intelligences and meanings”

Part of "The Pearl of Perfection", a prayer on the Prophet, which, in Sufi teaching, was given to Shaykh Ahmad At Tijani by the Prophet himself. Shaykh Ahmad At Tijani was a great 18th century Sufi from Algeria.

Date Posted: 24 August 2014 at 5:37am

"Him whom Allah Almighty considers a friend will never be treated as an enemy. The Prophet, peace be uopn him said that he is an enemy of Allah Almighty who speaks ill of others behind their backs."

Sufyan Thawri

Date Posted: 24 August 2014 at 5:41am
"Him who faces the decree of destiny must exercise patience. Him who, during trials shows desperation and cries acts as if he seized a lance to fight Allah Almighty."

Chaqiq Balkhi

Date Posted: 24 August 2014 at 5:48am
"It was in Syria. I fell asleep over the grave of Bilal Al Habashi. I saw the prophet in a dream, peace be upon him, who seemed to be carrying in his lap a small infant. I greeted him, kissed his feet and was looking at him surprised. He then said: It is Abu Hanifa I am holding, he is the imam of the muslims."

Ali Ibn Umman

Date Posted: 25 August 2014 at 5:51am
''One time, in Jihad, I was fighting with an infidel. When the time of prayer came, I asked him a moment of respite that I may carry out this obligation. He agreed and I went aside to do the prayer. When came the time to pray for the infidel, he asked me in his turn for a moment of respite, which I gave him and he made his prayer. While he went away to prostrate before his idol, I said to myself: I will kill him, and, drawing my sword, I stood by his head. At that moment I heard a voice: O Abdallah, honour your word. Upon hearing this voice, I started to cry. Raising his head, the infidel, seeing me crying asked me what was going on. I told him what happened. I said to him: I heard a voice from Allah Almighty concerning you. Then the christian said: How could I turn my face away from such a merciful God! And without further delay, he converted to Islam."

Abdallah Mubarak

Date Posted: 25 August 2014 at 5:59am

"In the sacred text, Allah says: whoever frames an evil design, and, for fear of Allah Almighty renounces to carry it out, Paradise will be his abode."

Imam Shafi, as a child 
(see Surah 79, V 40)

Date Posted: 25 August 2014 at 6:03am
"Give up this world and the next to reach Allah."

Dawud Tai

Posted By: Caringheart
Date Posted: 25 August 2014 at 12:59pm
I have re-read the post and think I now understand.

-------------
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever

Date Posted: 27 August 2014 at 5:59am

"To gain through the aspirations of one's heart a part of the unseen world is better than all the knowledge of this world; and it is through austerity acts that one achieves this result."

Haris Muhasibi

Date Posted: 27 August 2014 at 6:09am
"In former times the company of men seemed to me a delicious potion which was healthy. Today, it appears as an evil for which there is no remedy. If you wish to escape from it in this world, frequently read the good books, without ever turning your thoughts away from Allah Almighty."

Muhammad Ibn Simmak

Date Posted: 27 August 2014 at 6:13am
"People think that even with laziness, they can move from earth to heavens. They imagine that they can fly with their selves. No, that can not be. You must develop your discipline by Sharia and then by Tariqa."

Date Posted: 28 August 2014 at 5:50am
"When Bahram became muslim, I heard a voice which said: O Ahmad, Bahram worshipped the fire for 70 years but came to us in the end as a muslim. You have been muslim for 70 years, but in what condition will you come to us in the end ?"

Ahmad Harb

Date Posted: 28 August 2014 at 5:53am
"Who passes by my tomb soon becomes drunk. If he stays a while, he becomes drunk for eternity."

Jalal Ad Din Rumi

Date Posted: 28 August 2014 at 6:00am
"Him who desires Paradise must work righteousness. Him who desires the intercession of the Messenger, peace be upon him, must put into practice all of the Sunnah."

Ma'ruf Karkhi

Date Posted: 29 August 2014 at 1:23pm
"In all the world, there is no creature weaker than man, for none but him becomes rebellious and commits sin."

Sari Saqati

Date Posted: 29 August 2014 at 1:27pm
"The one who knows Allah the Exalted talks to no one but Him, acts only for Him, asks to no one but to Him. Who mortifies his self, the love of Allah Almighty appears in his heart."

Fath Musalli

Date Posted: 29 August 2014 at 1:36pm
"Who allows the love of the world to enter his heart sees the love of Allah and the light of ascetism go out of it, without coming back."

Ahmad Hawari

Date Posted: 29 August 2014 at 1:41pm
"The friends of Allah rush to difficulties."

Date Posted: 30 August 2014 at 4:09am
"You shall see me one day, at the table of the sky, drinking in glasses the size of the moon."

Jalal Ad Din Rumi

Date Posted: 30 August 2014 at 4:11am
"Allah made me to hear in my breast the grating of the Qalams (which write the destinies of creatures). It was a 2/4 or 3/4 time melody, depending on the rythm decreasing or increasing. What is this chorus, I asked. It is the poetic hearing (Al Sama) I was told. And what do I have to do with poetry ? It is the origin of everything."

Muhyiddin Ibn Arabi

Date Posted: 30 August 2014 at 4:15am
"Only he is patient who does not complain along. If he whispers, his patience has no value."

Ahmad Khizrawiyah

Date Posted: 31 August 2014 at 3:19am
"Whoever feels shy in this world before Allah Almighty and does acts of piety, Allah will feel shy on the Day of Judgement to chastise him."

Yahya Muadh Razi

Date Posted: 31 August 2014 at 3:24am
"The generous man is he who leaves this lower world to those who are greedy for it, and has no other goal but to seek the pleasure of Allah."

Abu Hafs Haddad

Date Posted: 31 August 2014 at 3:25am
"Whoever despises this lower world will be honored in both worlds."

Hamdun Qassar

Date Posted: 01 September 2014 at 2:42pm
"The outward signs of love are acts of piety, remembrance of the Name of Allah, seeking solitude and renunciation."

Ahmad Ibn Hashim Antaki

Date Posted: 01 September 2014 at 2:45pm
"Gratefulness consists in not using idly Allah's favours and not to use them to rebel against Him."

Junayd Al Baghdadi

Date Posted: 01 September 2014 at 2:53pm
"Whoever goes to the Ka'aba crosses deserts. Whoever seeks to go to the court of Allah the Exalted must leave his soul behind, without hope for return. On this road there are 2000 mountains of fire and 2000 rivers of fire. Engage on it only if you are supported; else, renounce such an aim."

Umar Ibn Usman Makki

Date Posted: 02 September 2014 at 6:11am
"We are living in hard times, the morality of the people is altered and there is no more sincerity or purity among men."

Ja'far As Sadiq (as)

Date Posted: 02 September 2014 at 6:13am
"Refrain from three: lying, cheating and backbiting. For the rest, do what you want."

Shah Shaja Kirmani

Date Posted: 02 September 2014 at 6:15am
"Someone who has no goal except having this world has no worth."

Ibrahim Raqqi

Date Posted: 03 September 2014 at 5:33am
"Wahhabis say Muhammad is a human being like every one. Then why do you not also bring a book like his ?"

Date Posted: 03 September 2014 at 5:36am
"Which is greater, your love for your child or Muhammad's love for you ? For sure, it is Muhammad's love for you."

Date Posted: 03 September 2014 at 5:41am
"When you smell a good smell, you must say Allahumma Salli Ala Muhammadin Wa Ala Ali Muhammadin Wa Sallim (O Allah send blessings on Muhammad and on the family of Muhammad). All perfumes come from the manifestation of Muhammad's name on earth."

Date Posted: 03 September 2014 at 5:43am
"Discard what the Christians say about their prophet, and decide and say whatever you wish in praise of him (Muhammad)."

Imam Busayri

Date Posted: 04 September 2014 at 5:50am
"Fear of Allah makes a man to arrive to Allah Almighty."

Abu Usman Khayri

Date Posted: 04 September 2014 at 5:52am
"Whenever Allah Almighty befriends one of His servants, He opens wide for him the doors of the remembrance of His name and brings him close to Him."

Abu Said Kharraz

Date Posted: 04 September 2014 at 5:56am
"We give to others our possessions in this world in order to acquire possessions in the next world."

Abu Husayn Nuri

Date Posted: 06 September 2014 at 3:18am
"The strength of those who seek this world is increased through food and drink. The strength of those who seek Allah is increased through remembrance of His name. Through good deeds and good words, one rises higher than through prayers and fasts."

Ibn Ata Wali

Date Posted: 06 September 2014 at 3:26am
"The signs of him who abandons sin are five: he keeps away from those whose minds are not enlightened, he avoids evil deeds, there are no defects in his good deeds, he keeps away from everything that would corrupt his repentance, he keeps far away from him all iniquities."

Yusuf Asbat

Date Posted: 06 September 2014 at 3:29am
"Whoever fears Allah Almighty eats little, talks little, sleeps little and is never subject to greed."

Abu Ya'qub Nahar Juri

Print Page | Close Window