Print Page | Close Window

Question about People of the Book

Printed From: IslamiCity.com
Category: Religion - Islam
Forum Name: Interfaith Dialogue
Forum Discription: It is for Interfaith dialogue, where Muslims discuss with non-Muslims. We encourge that dialogue takes place in a cordial atmosphere on various topics including religious tolerance.
URL: http://www.IslamiCity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25559
Printed Date: 21 August 2014 at 7:05pm


Topic: Question about People of the Book
Posted By: TG12345
Subject: Question about People of the Book
Date Posted: 21 June 2013 at 7:54pm
Assalamu Alaikum,

This is only for the purpose of learning, not debate.

I read on wikipedia that in Islam, the "People of the Book" applies to Christians and Jews as well as Sabians and possibly Zoroastrians and soem Hindus. I was earlier under the impression that this applies to only Christians and Jews.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_of_the_Book

Wikipedia is a brilliant source put together by professional and infallible academics who do indepth research and are never wrong*. Just in case though, I'd like to ask.

Is the term "People of the Book" a reference to only Christians and Jews, or Christians and Jews and Sabians, or Christians and Jews and Sabians and people of other faiths?

Can you provide relevant verses from the Quran, hadiths, fatwas, other sources as evidence?

Thanks so much.


* Full sarcasm intended



Replies:
Posted By: NABA
Date Posted: 22 June 2013 at 12:44pm
In quran ch 5 v 47-Allah says to them was entrusted the protection of Allah's book.this is clearly reffered to Christian s and jews.in Surah Al Imran ch 3 v 187-From the convenant of the book of people book was made to clear to mankind and not to hide it.


Posted By: TG12345
Date Posted: 22 June 2013 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by NABA

In quran ch 5 v 47-Allah says to them was entrusted the protection of Allah's book.this is clearly reffered to Christian s and jews.in Surah Al Imran ch 3 v 187-From the convenant of the book of people book was made to clear to mankind and not to hide it.

Shukran. So is it false to say that the People of the Book include Sabians?


Posted By: nothing
Date Posted: 22 June 2013 at 7:54pm
The work "Book" is not physical book per se, so sending down a book means inspired words. Using that method to understand than it goes in every directions. Who were they, where they were and when that occured.

An example of a book is this one below, it is not Biblical name yet it is the teachings here that I relied most for my l;ife. Who was he? I don't know, it is not important. This "book"  is so small, only a sentence yet it is so huge.
Most people just can't do it. Can you do it?

Why try to swallow 66 thick books, or volumes and volumes of Hadith, or Vedas, when what we need is one sentence to live to be a good person?

And We had certainly given Luqman a wisdom [and said]:
 "Be grateful to Allah."
And whoever is grateful is grateful for himself.
And whoever denies [His favor] - then indeed, Allah is Free of need and Praiseworthy.
(31:12)

The remaining verses after it - are the result of the bold letters above once implemented.


Posted By: Nausheen
Date Posted: 29 June 2013 at 5:15am
Originally posted by TG12345


Originally posted by NABA

In quran ch 5 v 47-Allah says to them was entrusted the protection of Allah's book.this is clearly reffered to Christian s and jews.in Surah Al Imran ch 3 v 187-From the convenant of the book of people book was made to clear to mankind and not to hide it.
Shukran. So is it false to say that the People of the Book include Sabians?


Hello TG,

The Sabians are people of the book because they received the psalms - which islam regards as divine revelation.
All people to whom divine revelations were sent are included in the term 'people of the book'.

-------------
Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa
Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena
wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.


Posted By: TG12345
Date Posted: 30 June 2013 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Nausheen

Originally posted by TG12345


Originally posted by NABA

In quran ch 5 v 47-Allah says to them was entrusted the protection of Allah's book.this is clearly reffered to Christian s and jews.in Surah Al Imran ch 3 v 187-From the convenant of the book of people book was made to clear to mankind and not to hide it.
Shukran. So is it false to say that the People of the Book include Sabians?


Hello TG,

The Sabians are people of the book because they received the psalms - which islam regards as divine revelation.
All people to whom divine revelations were sent are included in the term 'people of the book'.

Assalamu Alaikum, Nausheen. I had no idea that Islam teaches that the Sabians received the Psalms. Are the psalms called the zabur? Is there anywhere in the Quran that states this? Can you please provide relevant hadiths or Muslim scholarly sources to back this up?  Could you also please show me any hadiths or Muslim sources that explicitly state that the Sabians are the People of the Book?

Unfortunately I am having problems with my computer and can not write too much, since it burns out every few minutes. I will have to get a new one, probably sometime in late August or earlier inshAllah. For this reason, I cannot make long posts or get involved in any debates, and am limiting myself to only asking questions or providing short responses.

I will read your response though on my Iphone. Any sources you can show me to demonstrate that the Sabians are people of the Book or that they received the Psalms would be really appreciated.

Thank you and God bless you.

TG123


Posted By: TG12345
Date Posted: 30 June 2013 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by nothing

The work "Book" is not physical book per se, so sending down a book means inspired words. Using that method to understand than it goes in every directions. Who were they, where they were and when that occured.

An example of a book is this one below, it is not Biblical name yet it is the teachings here that I relied most for my l;ife. Who was he? I don't know, it is not important. This "book"  is so small, only a sentence yet it is so huge.
Most people just can't do it. Can you do it?

Why try to swallow 66 thick books, or volumes and volumes of Hadith, or Vedas, when what we need is one sentence to live to be a good person?

And We had certainly given Luqman a wisdom [and said]:
 "Be grateful to Allah."
And whoever is grateful is grateful for himself.
And whoever denies [His favor] - then indeed, Allah is Free of need and Praiseworthy.
(31:12)

The remaining verses after it - are the result of the bold letters above once implemented.

Thanks for the response, nothing. Would the term "people of the Book" include only Christians and Jews, or also other non-Muslims? Thanks and salaam.


Posted By: nothing
Date Posted: 05 July 2013 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by TG12345

Would the term "people of the Book" include only Christians and Jews, or also other non-Muslims? Thanks and salaam.

In the Qur'an only the Jews and the Christians that were being addressed directly - kind of face to face communication - as they were the only two believers who were physically present other than the new muslims. But otherwise there were others.

The earliest messages were very simple they were only about basic belief, and that's all we need anyway. But the demands of the people were the one who actually that create the additions after additions, otherwise it supposedly simple. As I pointed out in the previous post the wisdom that were given to Luqman was so simple (hard at first though), and that is a book. But who was Luqman and where he was, I don't know, but I count myself as his follower.

Salaam.




Print Page | Close Window