20 Great tips in helping New Muslims
Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Culture & Community
Forum Name: Groups – New Muslims
Forum Discription: Groups – New Muslims
Printed Date: 30 June 2016 at 11:07am
Topic: 20 Great tips in helping New Muslims
Posted By: seekshidayath
Subject: 20 Great tips in helping New Muslims
Date Posted: 08 January 2010 at 12:59am
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful,
Asalaamu Alaaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatu
20 Great Tips in Helping New Muslims
Note: This list was advice forwarded to a Muslim from a Qur'an teacher, it gives great advice on how to help our dear revert Brothers and Sisters. Although the note says 'he', this of course also applies to new Sisters in Islam.:)
1. You should give the new Muslim the feeling that Islam is a perfect religion, its source is divine, and it is totally inclusive. You have to emphasize that there is no truth but the truth of this religion.
2. You should clarify to the new Muslim that Islam erases every sin before it. Otherwise, he will keep thinking about his previous sins. You should make it clear for him that the moment he converted to Islam, his records became clean,
3. Assure him that the only reference for Islam is quraan and sunnah, not the wrongdoings of Muslims. Only Qur’an and Sunnah can define what is right and what is wrong.
4. Advise the new Muslim to read Qur’an, Hadith and Seerah (life of the Prophet Salalahu Alayhi wa Slaaam) as often as possible.
5. Advise him to take care of his personal cleanness in all its types, (Ablution, Ghusl…etc.)
6. He should perform prayers in time, and you should point out the importance of praying in Jama’ah (Congregational Prayer-For Sisters it's more reward at home, but if you wish to pray at the Masjid, you are free to do so).
7. It is very important that the new Muslim lives in an Islamic environment. This will help him to obey Allah, mainly by keeping him away from sins, and wrongdoings.
8. Take the new Muslim to a nearby mosque. It is better to have someone from the neighborhood accompanying him and following his progress.
9. Let the Imam of the mosque know about this new Muslim, and remind the Imam to take special care of him.
10. Advise him to read and learn more about Islam. It is better if he can dedicate some of his time to do that, whether by himself, or with a group.
11. It is very important for the new Muslim to ask about everything he doesn’t know or can’t understand. He should try to contact scholars or at least ask anyone he trusts.
12. Try to know about his financial status, and help him as much as possible to make him feel friendlier. It will be more encouraging to have his salary raised a little, if you are in a position to make that possible.
13. You should make it clear to him, that his conversion to Islam would cause him some problems. Allah is testing his faith by these problems. He can always handle these problems by referring to Qur’an and Sunnah.
14. You should emphasize the importance of Monotheism and Islamic belief basics. You can provide him with a book that explains these important things in a simple way.
15. Try to keep him away from his previous atmosphere, and to involve him in an environment that suits, and helps his development as a Muslim.
16. Try to engage him in some Islamic activities, and provide him with important books and recorded lectures.
17. Try introducing him to group from his nationality. The communication between them will be easier; he can also have lessons with them.
18. He should feel that he is important and loved by everyone, because of his conversion to Islam. Giving him a gift would be a good start…
19. Make it clear to him that the problems he faces have occurred to every new Muslim, so they are expected. Try to follow-up with his problems, and help him solving them, so that he can handle them without doing something terribly wrong.
20. There should be a simple approach that helps him to learn Arabic language (reading and writing), In order to be able to read quran by himself and understand it.
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: “All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Posted By: UmmFatima
Date Posted: 01 March 2010 at 6:38am
Jazaku Allah khayran!
If people had been using these techniques around me I might have become Muslim faster!
The fact is many Muslims come in contact with rather non-practicing Muslims first and we become friends thinking Islam isn't a difficult religion, that praying all the time isn't the norm, just what conservatives do, and we don't really NEED to wear hijab right away. GOOD Muslims need to step up!
“Our Lord! Grant us comfort in our spouses and descendants, and make us leaders of the God-fearing.” -Al-Furqan 74