URL: http://www.readverse.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1001
Printed Date: 05 December 2019 at 9:42am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Perfection in Islam
Posted By: missy
Subject: Perfection in Islam
Date Posted: 27 May 2005 at 7:00am
* Perfection

This manner is lost amongst Muslims; it has become a stranger in the Islamic nation, and now it is rare to find a Muslim who applies this principle. Unfortunately, very few people apply this manner and the majority that do, are not religious. It's a behavior that the western world has adopted and perfected, whilst we have failed!

Today’s manner is: (Al-Ihsan) - Perfection.

What is the meaning of Perfection?

Perfection is simply an ideal; something faultless. Can perfection really be classified as a manner? Yes, in fact, it is at the very core of Islamic manners. The perfection of our actions, deeds and words are all considered part of Islamic manners.

The Prophet (PBUH) said, “Allah (SWT) loves if any of you has done a deed to perfect it". (Narrated by: Tabarani, 901 – Hathami, 98/4 – Al-Siyouti, 5232).

Don’t you yearn for Allah’s (SWT) love? Then perfect your actions; the more you work to attain perfection, the more Allah (SWT) loves you.

Verses and evidences:

Allow these verses to sink into your hearts:

• Allah (SWT) says what can be translated as, “Allah commands justice, the doing of good, and liberality to kith and kin, and He forbids all shameful deeds, and injustice and rebellion: He instructs you, that ye may receive admonition” (TMQ, 16:90) (1).

Imagine the first orders that Allah (SWT) instructs are: Justice, Perfection, and visiting our relatives. So did you observe the word (order)?

• Allah (SWT) says what can be translated as, “Those who spend (freely), whether in prosperity, or in adversity; who restrain anger, and pardon (all) men; - for Allah loves those who do good;-.” (TMQ, 3:134).

• Allah (SWT) also says what can be translated as, "As to those who reject faith, I will punish them with terrible agony in this world and in the Hereafter, nor will they have anyone to help." (TMQ, ).

This means that Allah’s (SWT) mercy is closer to the people who aim to attain perfection. The people who work to attain perfection are in Allah’s company!

Indeed, our Prophet spoke universally:

The Prophet (PBUH) said, “Allah has written (ordered) perfection on everything…". If you concentrate on these words, you will observe that you are perfect in every way. Didn't the Prophet (PBUH) say: "Allah has written (ordered)..." You are made to be perfect in each and everyway.

In continuation the Prophet (PBUH) said, "Allah has written (ordered) perfection on everything, so if you kill you should attain perfection when killing, and if you slaughter then you should attain perfection when slaughtering…". (Authentic Hadith, Narrated by Muslim, 1955).

What an unusual example to use? Even while slaughtering a chicken or a lamb, we should be aiming to attain perfection! If we can aim to attain perfection while slaughtering, then we must aim to attain perfection in every other aspect of our lives.

The intention of perfection is not enough

Let’s continue the Hadith together; the Prophet (PBUH) says, "Allah has written (ordered) perfection on everything, so if you kill you should attain perfection when killing, and if you slaughter then you should attain perfection when slaughtering and the one who slaughters should sharpen his knife, and rest his kill". (Authentic Hadith, Narrated by Muslim, 1955).

It is as though the prophet (PBUH) is telling us that the intention of attaining perfection alone is not enough. We must also consider the state of our equipment; for instance, to attain perfection whilst slaughtering one must sharpen the knife and rest the animal. When studying, you intend to study well, however the intention alone is not enough. You must first choose the most appropriate time, place and lighting, to get started!

At the beginning it was difficult to imagine perfection as a manner and you were surprised when I told you that you would not feel the value of being perfect except at the end of this series, but now the matter has been clarified somehow!

This topic is similar to ambition; do you understand why I say that? If I ask you to try applying perfection in your lives, it would still be a difficult task for you. You should remember that you would not be able to attain any type of worship except with Allah's (SWT) help, “Thee do we worship, and Thine aid we seek.” (TMQ, 1:5).

The One who perfected His creation:

Observe how Allah (SWT) perfected his creations. Allah (SWT) says what can be translated as, “He Who has made everything which He has created most good: He began the creation of man with (nothing more than) clay” (TMQ, 32:7).

Allah also says what can be translated as, “It is We Who have set out the zodiacal signs in the heavens, and made them fair-seeming to (all) beholders” (TMQ, ).

Praise be to Allah, Lord of the universe:

Imagine if the sky was only made up of two colors, let’s say black and white, couldn’t Allah have created it that way? Of course! Allah says what can be translated as, “The lightning all but snatches away their sight; every time the light (Helps) them, they walk therein, and when the darkness grows on them, they stand still. And if Allah willed, He could take away their faculty of hearing and seeing; for Allah hath power over all things. (TMQ, ).

Observe the perfection, of the sky; notice the amount of colors it consists of, look at the colors classification. They are colors that comfort the eyes and nerves.

And now it’s your turn, Allah (SWT) says what can be translated as, “We have indeed created man in the best of moulds (TMQ, 95:4).

In the same way, we should aim for perfection in every part of our lives, and make our motto: "And be perfect as Allah has created you perfectly".

Examples of perfection

- Perfection in worship: 

One might ask, "What is the relationship between worship and perfection?" Prayer is a type of worship, but to pray perfectly is the aim. This shows that manners are strongly bonded to worship.

In the famous Hadith, where Jibril (Gabriel) came to Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) and asked, "Tell me about perfection"? The Prophet replied: "It's to worship Allah as if you can see him, and if you are not able to see him then he could see you". (Narrated by Bukhari, 50/ 4777).

Can you feel this while praying? How would such a prayer be performed? I'm sure it would be perfect. This is a very nice idea; let us agree to try it. Let us worship Allah (SWT) as if we can see him watching us for a day, and let us remember that even though we cannot see him he is watching us.

Allah can hear me, Allah can see me, and Allah is observing me:

Spending a whole day of your life in perfect worship would make you a completely different person… in every action; waking up, moving about, laughing, talking, studying and working.

- Treating parents with perfection:

Allah (SWT) says what can be translated as, “Thy Lord hath decreed that ye worship none but Him, and that ye be kind to parents. Whether one or both of them attain old age in thy life, say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honor.” (TMQ, ).

It is as if those two words say: "Show us your abilities, innovate this perfection in ways you can deal with them kindly. For example in the way you look at them, the tone of your voice; never raise your voice to them or be sarcastic: smile at them often.

- Being kind to girls

The Prophet (PBUH) said, "If a man had two daughters or sisters, and he was kind to them (treated them well) as long as they lived together or accompanied each other, they would've then be the reason his entering paradise" (Narrated by Ibn-Majah, 3670).

"Be kind to them". How can you be kind to them? Learn from the Prophet (PBUH), and notice how the Prophet (PBUH) used to treat his daughter Fatima, may Allah be pleased with her. Each time Fatima used to meet the Prophet, he used to stand up and kiss her on the forehead. Notice the Prophet’s kindness and ask yourself how many fathers and mothers do that to their children today! When she got married to Ali Ibn Abu-Taleb, they lived away from the Prophet’s (PBUH) house. So the prophet (PBUH) approached a companion who owned a house beside the Prophet’s mosque, and told him, "I cannot stand the absence of Fatima, so can I buy the house from you"? The man replied: "O' Allah’s messenger, my house and I are all for the sake of Allah".

See the kindness he had for his daughter!! Follow the Prophet’s footsteps and ask Allah for support. Be kind to your daughters and in return Allah will be kind to you.

How to be kind to girls in the Twentieth Century: The best act of kindness to your daughter or sister in the twentieth century is to be her friend, listen to her and gain her trust. This is valuable advice, in a time where many girls are betrayed in the name of love and friendship. Become her friend, give her the opportunity to talk to you and listen to her. Be kind to her even if you are angry!

- Kindness and perfection in greetings:

Allah (SWT) says what can be translated as, “When a (courteous) greeting is offered you, meet it with a greeting still more courteous, or (at least) of equal courtesy. Allah takes careful account of all things.” (TMQ, 4:86).

Imagine that! Even while we are greeting we should be aiming for perfection. Don't be surprised; by now you should understand that this manner is present in every aspect of our lives.

- Kindness and perfection during arguments:

Be gentle even in the midst of an argument! Gentleness when there is difference in opinion, where Allah (SWT) says what can be translated as, “Invite (all) to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching; and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious: for thy Lord knoweth best, who have strayed from His Path, and who receive guidance.” (TMQ, 16:125).

For example, if someone has a point of view that you disagree with, rather than say "what a stupid comment", a well-mannered person would say, "I object to what you said". In the latter, there is gentleness in the approach. It makes the world of difference!

- Perfection in speech:

Another example is perfection in speech in the call to Allah (SWT), where Allah (SWT) says what can be translated as, “Who is better in speech than one who calls (men) to Allah, works righteousness, and says, "I am of those who bow in Islam"?” (TMQ, 41:33).

So the best speech is that of a religious nature. So if you would want to be perfect in your speech, let it be about religious matters.

- Perfection in marriage:

Allah says what can be translated as, “O ye who believe! Ye are forbidden to inherit women against their will. Nor should ye treat them with harshness, that ye may Take away part of the dower ye have given them,-except where they have been guilty of open lewdness; on the contrary live with them on a footing of kindness and equity. If ye take a dislike to them it may be that ye dislike a thing, and Allah brings about through it a great deal of good.” (TMQ, ).

The scholars explain this verse as: "It doesn't mean that if your wife was kind and treats you good you then in return treat her well. It actually means that when she mistreats you, you should still treat her well, this is the perfect companionship. So be kind to your wife in everything and from the start you should pick a suitable good wife. Avoid choosing her for her looks alone, just as you should avoid choosing her for her education alone.”

I’d like to add another piece of advice to the youth: look at her family, her mother and father, her faith, her manners, then look at everything else. You are getting married to a family, getting married to manners, and this is how to perfectly look for a suitable partner.

- Perfection whilst divorcing

Allah (SWT) says what can be translated as, “A divorce is only permissible twice: after that, the parties should either hold Together on equitable terms, or separate with kindness. It is not lawful for you, (Men), to take back any of your gifts (from your wives), except when both parties fear that they would be unable to keep the limits ordained by Allah. If ye (judges) do indeed fear that they would be unable to keep the limits ordained by Allah, there is no blame on either of them if she give something for her freedom. These are the limits ordained by Allah. so do not transgress them if any do transgress the limits ordained by Allah, such persons wrong (Themselves as well as others)”. (TMQ, 2:229).

Look at the extent which perfection reaches! Even while divorcing, we are told to divorce with perfection.

- Perfection whilst listening

Allah (SWT) says what can be translated as, “Those who listen to the Word, and follow the best (meaning) in it: those are the ones whom Allah has guided, and those are the ones endued with understanding.” (TMQ, 39:18) . Let your ears choose what you hear. Don’t listen to bad, abusive or meaningless talk.

- Perfection in studying:

Perfection in studying is another example, and beware of thinking its ok, as long as you pass. Passing is not the goal, perfection is.

Think about what I have said and think about your efforts. The Muslim should be excellent, and you won't be excellent unless you study well. Remember that you are dealing with Allah (SWT), so do your own best don’t just live to standards set by people.

- Perfection of the wife in her house:

The perfection of a wife in her house is another example; from the house’s cleanliness to food preparation to raising the children. Perfection, even in taking care of your house! Imagine the more you take care of your house the better you are to Allah (SWT).

- Perfection in our jobs:

This type is needed, especially these days. I wish I would find a product, which has written on it: "Manufactured locally, and manufactured perfectly". Perfection in your job is an obligation on each person! If you want your country to develop and improve you should work to perfection in your job.

- Perfection during war:

Perfection in war is also another type. Read the following words and be proud of your religion. The Prophet (PBUH) said to the army while leaving the Mu'tah battle: "Get started in the name of Allah on the confession of Allah's messenger: don't kill a perishable old man, don't kill a lady, don't kill a child, don't kill a infant, don't destroy buildings, don't burn or cut trees, don't cut date trees and be kind and perfect" Narrated by Abu Dawud, 2614).

Can you see all these conditions? Honestly what army is this? There are Muslim manners for all places and for all times.

It includes the whole religion

Regarding perfection, Ibn Al-Qayem says, "It is the heart of faith and the soul of faith, and if we gathered the benefits of all deeds, from praying, supplicating, invocating and fasting... it would be all considered within Islam".

No extremes

This is a good point! After reading this lecture, some people may decide to practice perfection in their lives, and will become careful in each minute!

Like a son leaving the house would say ‘Salam’ to his mother, then after leaving would return home to say it again, worried that he didn’t do it with perfection. Another extreme example is a housewife attempting perfection in cooking, measuring the ingredients precisely. In the end they will get tired and bored, so it’s best to avoid extremes.

Any manner in Islam has two extremes and as Muslims we need to take the middle path. For example bravery lies between recklessness and cowardice. Generosity lies between stinginess and extravagance. So be wary of going to extremes in this manner. Be good, kind and perfect in what you do and remember that Allah (SWT) is the one who would help you achieve this.

Beware … Now you are a representative of Islam

You are a moving representative of Islam, so represent it well! If you follow that as a guideline, then the value of Islam and Muslims will increase! And remember, "That Allah has written and subjected perfection on everything". This includes perfection in worship, in your treatment with other people, in your greetings, in fights and arguments, whilst getting married, choosing your wife and your home and remember…

Allah says what can be translated as, “For each (such person) there are (angels) in succession, before and behind him: They guard him by command of Allah. Verily never will Allah change the condition of a people until they change it themselves (with their own souls). But when (once) Allah willeth a people's punishment, there can be no turning it back, nor will they find, besides Him, any to protect.” (TMQ, ).

[Amr Khalid - www.amrkhalid.net]

Replies:
Posted By: MOCKBA
Date Posted: 27 May 2005 at 9:30pm
Jazzak Allahu Khair, Missy! It's an excellent and important reminder.

-------------
MOCKBA

Posted By: midway
Date Posted: 02 June 2005 at 11:10am

Assalaamu alaikum

missy

When a butterfly gracefully flutters its wings, the subtle effect can be felt on the other side of the world.

However within that vast universal sea, it is not always easy to perceive, a gentle but significant breeze.

The only way to perceive a gentle breeze, is to dwell in the place free of commotion, & haste!

Sorry I neglected to thank you for the above post, & sorry to hear you are worried about yourself (I wish to share with you a story I heard, no time just now…). Maybe you are able to perceive, a gentle breeze… out upon that vast sea.  

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you

May Allah Bless you May Allah Bless you May Allah Bless you May Allah Bless you          

-------------

Posted By: ummsalam
Date Posted: 04 June 2005 at 7:12am

mashaAllah, that was something i direly needed. Jazakum Allahu khairan

-------------
umm salam

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info