Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

Books, Newspapers & Magazines
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : Reviews - Media : Books, Newspapers & Magazines
Message Icon Topic: Books That Spiritually Nourish You Post Reply Post New Topic
umsami

Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote umsami Replybullet Topic: Books That Spiritually Nourish You
    Posted: 17 April 2007 at 5:50am
Assalamu Alaikum:

Other than the Qur'an and books on ahadith, are there any books or other media that you turn to for spiritual nourishment or a spiritual pick-me-up?? For example, one of my favorites is a book on the Names of Allah(swt) called "The Name and the Named."  I also have a book of khutbahs (Sufi-oriented) called "Irshad" that I'll read one from if I can't make Jummah prayers.  I also have a collection of Hamza Yusuf and Sheikh Yusuf Estes lectures on CD. 

What are your favorites?

Peace.
IP IP Logged
rami
Male  Islam

Quote rami Replybullet Posted: 17 April 2007 at 6:19am
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

assalamu alaikum

I used to read the lectures of shaykh abdul Qadir al Gilani. if you where to ask which i liked more his lectures or the works of Imam al Ghazali i hounestly couldnt tell you.

I found it amazing that they both lived at the same time and as one was leaving baghdad the other was entering it, this is fate for you

Edited by rami
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
IP IP Logged
fatima

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote fatima Replybullet Posted: 18 April 2007 at 3:22am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Wa'alaykum assalam wa rahmatullahe wa barakatuhu

I have to say listening to 'Purification of Heart' by Hamza Yusuf or reading 'Ihya ulum-id-din' by Imam Al-Ghazali does the trick for me. Ihya ulum-id-din explains not only the legal aspect but the soul of our worship so i love that book. Purification of heart helps me improve my daily dealings.

There are few others as well like, 'Taqwa: the provision fo believers' and 'Fear of Allah' both by Imam Ghazali, imam ibn Qayyim and ibn rajab hanbali and lastly 'Death' a beautiful book by Dr Asra rasheed.

Wassalam

Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version