Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

Islam for non-Muslims
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : Religion - Islam : Islam for non-Muslims
Message Icon Topic: Sufism Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
sgeorge5

Online Status: Offline
Quote sgeorge5 Replybullet Posted: 01 January 2007 at 6:26pm
I best Muslim I know is a follower of Sufism, but I would never become a Sufie.
Sid
IP IP Logged
Andalus

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Andalus Replybullet Posted: 02 January 2007 at 12:01am
Originally posted by Angel

ok, give me a bit of time and after the new year I will gather them up and post, there's alot thou

In the meantime, where shall i post them?

I do not see why you could not contribute here. :)

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
IP IP Logged
Shamil

Quote Shamil Replybullet Posted: 10 January 2007 at 9:49am
This is a very interesting thread and the discussion is being conducted on such a high level of politeness despite the potentially divisive nature of the subject. Jazakallah; I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
IP IP Logged
Angel

Senior  Member

Quote Angel Replybullet Posted: 10 January 2007 at 10:03am
Stay tuned Shamil, i got more
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
IP IP Logged
Angel

Senior  Member

Quote Angel Replybullet Posted: 10 January 2007 at 7:50pm

Hello everyone , 

I have brought across my collections and dialogues of the past in the old IC forum, I had much enjoyment with this topic most probably because I have an interest in spirituality, its been awhile since I visited the topic of Sufism the inner aspects or the Gnostic side or the estoric side of Islam.  So when I saw the topic here and I haven’t seen it here since this new forum started, I thought well, I post what I have.

First: I have given a few links instead of posting the few articles I consider quite excellect, there are easy to understand and not so deep/or long, as my dialogue is quite long and will be broken up.

The links I will provide first in this post, instead of at the end of the dialogue as I had planned, for those who wish to skip the long discussion and deepness of it.  

Secondly: much of the dialogue is refuting (with excellent writings from muslim members of the past) a person “anon” who is quite set that Sufism is not part of islam but almost 50 posts later he admits that it was originally, lol! And still I believe with the mindset of Sufism not part of islam, lol!, anyway if you read you will find out.  

Thirdly: I have copied and pasted the discussion as is minus the old links leaving the green bar to separate each persons post, so here it will be in one post possibably more if it doesn’t fit.

Forthly: here are the links to the few articles for those who wish to skip the long discussion:

http://www.sunnah.org/nl/v0205/tasawwuf.htm

http://www.sunnah.org/tasawwuf/sufisnk.htm

http://www.geocities.com/faizee/sufism.htm

Lastly: please if you can not post anything until I have finished so my pieces can flow easily and nicely  AND just sit back and Enjoy!

IP IP Logged
Angel

Senior  Member

Quote Angel Replybullet Posted: 10 January 2007 at 8:27pm

Topic:

*Islamic Dilemma & the Sufi Message* (1 of 55), Read 511 times

Conf:

References: Discussions Frequently Repeated

Angel

Date:

Monday, October 07, 2002 02:35 AM

"Take away love and our earth is a tomb".

~Please dont frown! For you never know who may be falling in love with your smile!~
------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------

Another long article, go and grab a coffee or tea or hot chocolate :-)).

Well, I don't know how basic this is to some of you ;-) but its solely on Islam.

Article called:
Islamic Dilemma and the Sufi Message

By Jay Kinney

As the West comes to grips with the terrorist attacks and threats, there is a strong temptation to see things in simple terms of Good and Evil. But before we are stampeded into a “clash of civilisations,” we need to step back for a moment and examine the real forces at work. Islam is undergoing its own crisis, with many conflicting voices clamouring to be heard. The angry cries for Jihad threaten to drown out the saner counsel of Islam’s living mystics, the Sufis. What follows is one attempt to clear the air, in the hope that disaster might be averted.

Ironies abound. Amidst all the uproar it is easy to forget that in Arabic, “Islam” means “surrender,” and that it is derived from the same root word as “peace.” Those who are disposed to dismiss religion itself as an irrational scourge are happy to see this as just another case of religious hypocrisy. After all, if we add up all the casualties caused by holy wars, crusades, inquisitions, and other battles taken up in the name of God, the endless line of corpses would seem to give the lie to religious claims of a higher morality or compassion.

“All religions are founded on the fear of the many and the cleverness of the few,” Stendhal cynically observed. But, as Oscar Wilde noted: “Who is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.” While religions have failed to live up to their own ideals, the same charge can be levelled against Democracy, Communism, Humanism, Monarchy, Science, and every other means of human self-organisation and inquiry. Of this we can be sure: no sooner will a model for social benefit be formulated than a dozen uses will be found to employ it for social ill. Social institutions – by their very nature – become arenas for the exercise of power and greed: the forces of the reptilian brain which take us back to Step One, over and over again.

Yet despite the abysmal record of folly and destruction, there is an enduring human need for a sense of spiritual connection to something greater than ourselves. Religions may be imperfect, but they have nevertheless provided a moral anchor for billions of people throughout history. Even if a believer’s faith be relatively unsophisticated and dependent on others’ say so, when sincerely held, it does offer some sense of connection with the Universe. This is no small thing, but it hardly exhausts the possibilities.

Fortunately, there is clear testimony that some individuals and groups have been able to fully realise the kernel of truth that too often lies slumbering within the religious husk. Anyone who has given sincere attention to the accounts and writings of genuine mystics, such as Meister Eckhart, Ibn ‘Arabi, or Plotinus, cannot fail to see that a higher consciousness, which encompasses both the Infinite Source of Being and the human individual, is possible.

This consciousness, as a direct and authentic experience, does not depend for its existence on theological or religious doctrine. Indeed, mystics say that this consciousness itself clarifies and illuminates doctrine.

Religions, as theological and social structures built around the realisations of their founders, must accommodate themselves to and address the traditions and customs of the cultures in which they evolve. Had Jesus been born in a Chinese manger or had Buddha been enlightened while sitting under
Newton’s apple tree, the religions that followed in their wake would have been far different affairs. In order to better understand the current state of Islam, a brief look at its origin and evolution is in order.

There is no question that Muhammad, the Prophet of Islam, was a profound mystic whose lot it was to be born into a Bedouin tribal society shaped by intense family ties, trading routes, localised pagan gods, and relatively primitive cultural forms. The Qur’anic message, articulated by Muhammad in poetic Arabic, was received in discreet parts over the course of 22 years – years marked by attacks on the Prophet and his small band of followers by other hostile tribes.

Muhammad’s communion with the Real was called upon to provide guidance to the Muslims as they struggled to defend their faith amidst war and social chaos. As observed by some Qur’anic scholars, such as Fazlur Rahman, some passages of the Qur’an are addressed to a specific time and place, while others are of a more universal nature. This is important to note, as it accounts for some of the seeming contradictions between verses, as well as the problems that arise when verses are quoted out of context. But in any event, the Qur’an’s identity as a dialogue with the Supreme Being is so intertwined with the circumstances of its birth that, to this day, Muslims only consider a Qur’an to be the Qur’an if it is in its original Arabic. All translations into other languages are merely “interpretations” and inexact facsimiles.

This is an admirable attempt to preserve fidelity in transmission, though one wonders if even this devotion to the original text isn’t a case of closing the barn door after the mule is gone. For the special value of a living mystic or prophet is the dynamic nature of their expression of the Real, to which they have access. The Qur’an’s words in the absence of Muhammad’s living interpretation, like Jesus’s parables without his own commentary, are susceptible to a dogmatic crystallisation induced by the limited understanding of later followers who risk mistaking their own piety for insight.

One early attempt within Islam to head off a decline in religious practice following Muhammad’s death, was the collection and preservation of hadiths (quotations from the Prophet), among which are the hadiths qudsi (Prophetic quotations conveying messages from God, given outside of Qur’anic passages). Hadiths typically contain testimonies, by the Prophet’s companions, of Muhammad’s suggestions and judgments on the details of daily life and specific questions of practice, law or family concerns. The hadiths qudsi are understood to provide an extra-Qura’nic source of Divine guidance. A secondary source of information is the “Sunna,” a recording of the Prophet’s own personal habits and practices, including quite intimate reports by his wives.

Unfortunately, even preserving the specifics of the Prophet’s interpretations, insights and behaviours still finds them anchored to their time and place. At the same time, there is much dispute over various hadiths’ authenticity, with many being suspected of later manufacture for partisan purposes.

Islam’s institutionalisation, once the Prophet was gone, saw Muhammad defined as the most perfect exemplar of Islam, with all questions of right behaviour and scriptural meaning referred back to his own statements and behaviour, or to the Qur’an. The best means that later Ulema (scholars and jurists) could suggest in rendering decisions was “analogy” and “consensus of the community” – processes that have left little room for creative insights or inspired interpretations.

Because Muhammad served his community as resident mystic, prophet, commander in chief, and social arbiter, Islam – again, in taking him as its exemplar – developed an ideal of theocratic rule as its civilisation grew. As in Medieval Christianity, there was little sense of separate spheres for religion and civil society – Islam was “a way of life.” The combined figure of Sultan (Ruler) and Caliph (Religious leader), though hardly consistent throughout the succession of Islamic empires, was in place in the final centuries of the Ottoman Empire, only to collapse along with the implosion of the Ottomans following WWI. The Caliphate was abolished by Ataturk in his effort to constitute a secular Turkish republic on the ruins of the Empire.

The inroads made by European colonialism in the waning decades of the Ottomans, and particularly post-WWI, helped stir the pot of Arab nationalism, Pan-Arabism, and radical Islam, all of which arose in response to the splintering of Islamic civilisation. There was no single Islamic solution put forth that commanded universal support. A multitude of Islams, ethnic nationalisms, and dictatorial regimes carried the day.

It is this sequence of events that brings us to the present reality of a decentralised and dispirited Islamic world mourning its former glories, riven along nationalist and sectarian lines, resentful of previous Western colonialism, and defensive towards an encroaching globalisation that promises to be more pervasive and invasive than mere colonialism ever was.

The lightning rod for Muslim resentment towards this state of affairs has come to be symbolised, for better or worse, in the creation of
Israel, in what was previously Palestine. What was seen by Jews as a refuge from Nazi persecution, and by the Zionists as the fulfilment of a scriptural and political dream, was seen by many Muslims as an exclusionary Western wedge, achieved by Haganah, Irgun, and Stern Gang terrorism: an ethnically-defined state disenfranchising its former residents, and a surrogate for the present Western superpower, the USA. The Israeli/Palestinian blood-feud, terrible enough in itself, has metastasised throughout the Muslim body, taxing the Islamic immune system, and readily diagnosed as the underlying Western cancer which can be blamed for every painful social malady.

As stated at the beginning, ironies abound. The very virtue that enables millions of Muslims to feel a brotherhood across national and racial divides – the sense of an Umma (community) of believers – also fuels the presumption of extremist Islamic terrorists to represent the whole of Islam in their assault on the West. In truth, bin Laden and Co. (or Islamic Jihad or Hezbollah) no more represent Islam than the judicially-selected Bush regime represents the whole of Western democracy. Behind each camp’s stated purposes and PR, loom the reptilian brain’s Will to Power – the opposite of the mystic’s realisation and of the stated goal of most religions: surrender to the will of God.

Religion, devoid of the mystic’s link to the Real, may not save us – in fact when religion is used as a rationale to wage political warfare, it may condemn us to a hell on earth of its own creation. But that doesn’t mean that we should turn our backs on the spiritual impulse toward realisation and human perfection that lies at the root of religion. The survival of Sufism within the broader confines of Islam is a significant case in point.

Sufism is a term coined by Western orientalists for the mystical path in Islam, commonly known as tasawwuf by Muslims. I’ll continue to use it here for the sake of simplicity. Sufism isn’t a sect or subgroup within Islam, so much as it is an expression of the mystical understanding underlying Islam.

Despite Muhammad’s roles of prophet, commander in chief, and social arbiter, it was his vocation as mystic that preceded and subsumed his other responsibilities. According to Sufi tradition, Muhammad acknowledged Ali, his nephew and son in law, as his spiritual successor, i.e., as the one Muslim within his inner circle who had also been blessed with a potent mystical awakening. Because the roles of spiritual and political leader had been combined in Muhammad, they became the object of the power struggles following the Prophet’s death. Those struggles eventually resulted in the division between Sunni and Shia Islam, though that need not concern us here. Suffice it to say, that for most Sufis, Ali represents the continuation of the mystical impulse within Islam, and nearly all Sufi brotherhoods trace their initiatory lineage back to Ali.

The operating premise of Sufism is that the mystical consciousness (but not the Prophetic role) of the Prophet and Ali is possible for others. The encounter with the Real – in which the dynamic paradox of the Infinite and the finite, the Absolute and the particular is known and experienced – is not relegated to the distant past or possessed by a designated few, but is within the capacity of everyone, should they so desire.

Authentic mystics have usually occupied a position in tension with established religion, because their dynamic relationship with the Infinite has often placed them at cross-purposes to the theological certainties promulgated by religious authorities. It is to Islam’s credit that it made more room for its mystics than did Christianity, its chief rival. This leeway was sometimes due to the patronage of Sultans who were interested in tasawwuf, and sometimes due to the popular support that some saints enjoyed. This is not to say that Sufis were always honoured or even tolerated. They were sometimes persecuted as heretics, executed or merely silenced; but whether welcomed or deplored, they were able to pass along their wisdom and methods from generation to generation.

The predominant means of this transmission was through Sufi brotherhoods or Orders (tariqas) – caretakers of continuous lines of teaching methods derived from the founding inspiration of a particular mystic. Unlike Christian contemplative monastic orders that demanded celibacy and a sequestered life, the Sufi tariqas were generally composed of everyday people, with families and outside professions. Thus, up to the present, the Sufis have provided a street-level access to mystical experience.

Jalaluddin Rumi, whose mystical poetry has enjoyed great popularity in the West in recent years, is the best known representative of Sufism. His emphasis on Love as the key entry-point to communion with the Divine has led many people to assume that this is true of all Sufism. However, just as Yoga can be subdivided into several parallel paths to the Divine, including Hatha (physical), Jnana (mental), Bhakti (devotional), etc., so each Sufi order has its own flavour and emphasis, derived from its founding saint. Still, whatever their emphasis or methods, all Sufis share the ultimate goal of a spiritual awakening or “opening,” where the seeker comes to intimate knowledge of the Real.

This may sound terribly remote from anything of practical value, especially if one imagines this awakening to be a state of everlasting bliss which renders its recipient incapable of dealing with mundane affairs. However, Sufism teaches the need for the mystic to “descend” again into daily life, where he can function in normal situations while maintaining an expanded awareness. This is truly the path of Muhammad, who from the mystical point of view stands as exemplar for the “completed human:” one who is both physically and spiritually alive, and able to interpret his own Qur’an.

Such individuals light the way for others, often serving inconspicuously as conduits of inspiration and encouragement. A pharmacist in
Istanbul, a shopkeeper in Fez, a poet in Damascus – there is no predicting where one may find those who are called “friends of God.”

Fundamentalist movements originate out of a form of spiritual inspiration themselves. Despairing of the decadence and corruption they perceive in the present expression of their Faith, the fundamentalists – as their name suggests – try to return to the pure fundamentals.

For “religions of the Book” – religions based on revealed scriptures – this commonly takes the form of cleaving even closer to scriptural authority. But rejecting the succeeding centuries of religious evolution, and not privy to dynamic interpretation of the founder or of mystics, the fundamentalists commonly opt for the most literal readings of their holy texts. And when those texts are as ambiguous and nuanced as the Qur’an, this can lead to confusion and incoherence, thinly veiled by rigidity.

The result is a proliferation of mini-Caliphs or Popes, certain of their own purity and the truth of their interpretation, cut off from scholarly commentary and discourse, and contemptuous and dismissive of all who disagree. In eras of profound change and discord, the fundamentalists reduce the Infinite Source of Being to a static icon created in their own image, in a tragic reversal of the creative process.

Those who kill and terrorise in the name of God demonstrate their own distance from any real connectedness with the Whole. This is the dilemma of Islam at the dawn of the 21st century. The Umma of believers are themselves held hostage by the terrorists who claim to represent them. As Zia Sardar has written in The Observer (
UK - Sept 23, 2001): “. . . all good and concerned Muslims are implicated in the unchecked rise of fanaticism in Muslim societies. . . . We have been silent as they proclaim themselves martyrs, mangling beyond recognition the most sacred meaning of what it is to be a Muslim. . . . The terrorists are among us, the Muslim communities of the world. . . . And it is our duty to stand up against them.”

The Prophet affirmed that “Allah’s Mercy supersedes his Wrath.” (Hadith al-Qudsi). One can only hope that the moderate Muslim majority will draw upon the wisdom of those within their own tradition who know that Mercy intimately and find the courage to stand up.

© Jay Kinney, 2001. Jay Kinney is the co-author, with Richard Smoley, of Hidden Wisdom: A Guide to the Western Inner Traditions (Penguin/Arkana, 1999). He is editor of The Inner West (forthcoming from J.P. Tarcher, 2002). More of his writings can be found at http://www.gnosismagazine.com.

The above article appeared in
New Dawn No. 69 (November-December 2001)

Angel.

Topic:

*Islamic Dilemma & the Sufi Message* (2 of 55), Read 458 times

Conf:

munthasir munthasir@yahoo.com

Date:

Monday, October 07, 2002 04:38 AM

Bismillah
Assalamu alaikum
brothers , i'm a new kid in the block...
Alhamdulillah, it 's nice to know, that lot of good islamic topics being discussed on...

Concerning this mail, i have some of my opinion, which i would like to share with all of u..

If i am right , the author of so called article is Non muslim....It is a real worst situation, where non muslim trying to teach wat is Islam ?! and there is no response from our muslims brothers...

first of all the article talks about chaos and confusion right now in this world....to build background for their orginal intended message...

The intention is alhamdulillah clear to me..these non muslims trying to uses this sufi method to pacify muslims resurgence...

"After all, if we add up all the casualties caused by holy wars, crusades, inquisitions, and other battles taken up in the name of God, the endless line of corpses would seem to give the lie to religious claims of a higher morality or compassion."

The author of the article failed to understand the action and meanings of Islamic war.It is a fight against oppression. It is a fight against people, who were rebellious to god(Allah).Islamic soldiers are the first group of fighters ,who practised Do's and Don't 's even in the war.No way anybody can include islamic wars in the above category.Moreover, it is the same mystic prophet, who led hundreds of people in the battle field...so how could one gives important to one practice of beloved prophet and discardes the other.

"In truth, bin Laden and Co. (or Islamic Jihad or Hezbollah) no more represent Islam than the judicially-selected Bush regime represents the whole of Western democracy. Behind each camp’s stated purposes and PR, loom the reptilian brain’s Will to Power – the opposite of the mystic’s realisation and of the stated goal of most religions: surrender to the will of God"

who gives authority to anybody to judge the other .No one has knowledge about other except Allah(S.W.T).Tell me, can anybody say America(i refer government and it s foreign policies) is a friend of muslims?!
Even, it is easy to say ,it is a enemy of Muslims...I am not sure about the type of their fight...but their intention of fighting against enemy of muslims , even though they are mightier than us...can't be belittled.

"Despite Muhammad’s roles of prophet, commander in chief, and social arbiter, it was his vocation as mystic that preceded and subsumed his other responsibilities."

Ok., he had another way of living, to receive messages form Allah(s.w.t),no one denies that...But allah (s.w.t) says the religion is completed...then, y we have to live that way of life..when its doors are closed until the day of judgement..

"This may sound terribly remote from anything of practical value, especially if one imagines this awakening to be a state of everlasting bliss which renders its recipient incapable of dealing with mundane affairs. However, Sufism teaches the need for the mystic to “descend” again into daily life, where he can function in normal situations while maintaining an expanded awareness. This is truly the path of Muhammad"

This article had talked about how nice it would be , if all the muslims are sufis.....had they narrated wat they have to do to be sufi....?!
If you happens to know, u might wonder, where did prophet taught all this ?!

you will find answer like this...he has taught Ali(R.a)...ok

y did our prophet(pbuh), benefactor of all the mankind teach his nephew alone...?!

You will find they are mouth shut ..

i don't want to comment on the authenticity of their claim, that they have tradition upto Ali (r.a)....but watever they practice...is not taught by prophet(pbuh) to his followers.....atleast not for everyone.

So, if a prophet (pbuh) decided not to take this form of his live to everyone, y does anyone ,who claims to follow his principles do so?!

Islam is not about jus' believing in something....It also about putting into practice of which u believe...

Alhamdulillah....i have try to give out my opinion in this issue...

Allah(S.w.t) knows the best...

wassalam

Topic:

*Islamic Dilemma & the Sufi Message* (4 of 55), Read 458 times

Conf:

NAUSHEEN

Date:

Monday, October 07, 2002 06:37 PM

Hello Angel,

Thank you for such a beautiful article. I must say it is awesome how a non-muslim has understood sufism so well, yet there are muslims who fall short in doing so.

You will find only those contradicting the article who are either not well informed with this science of Islam, or those who have an agenda to malign it.

Most popularly among those are our salafi or wahabi brothers, and who's authority do they do this? Not many, only a handful of scholars, the path of whom can be converged to Ibn Taymiyah.

How intelligently has the author mentioned hadith qudsi here ... the salafi brothers have to reject this portion of our hadith books to deny tasawwuf as the heart and soul of Islam, to call it nothing but a mere 'sect'.

They dont know that if they reject this 'sect' (as per their definition of tasawwuf), they will have to burn 80 out of every 100 books of islamic literature, and they will have to throw in garbage 80% of the learned scholars of islam, coz most of the knowledge we have on islam is streaming from the great sufi scholars. But wait a minute, they have already accomplished that, that is why their islam is so dry and devoid of beauty.

May allah forgive their mistakes and enlighten them with His nur, ameen!

Nausheen

Be not heedless of thy Lord
for even the blink of an eye,
Lest He directs His attention towards you,
and finds you unawares.

Topic:

*Islamic Dilemma & the Sufi Message* (5 of 55), Read 464 times

Conf:

NAUSHEEN

Date:

Monday, October 07, 2002 08:18 PM

"Despite Muhammad’s roles of prophet, commander in chief, and social arbiter, it was his vocation as mystic that preceded and subsumed his other responsibilities."

Ok., he had another way of living, to receive messages form Allah(s.w.t),no one denies that...But allah (s.w.t) says the religion is completed...then, y we have to live that way of life..when its doors are closed until the day of judgement..

Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim
What is Sufism?

His Eminence, Shaykh, Sidi Muhammed Saâ`id Al Jamal
Imam and Khateeb, Al Aqsa Mosque, Al Quds

Tasawuf, by definition, derives from Safa. In other words, it is the sum of two words, Tahliya and Takhliya. Tahliya, means to acquire every good characteristic, and Takhliya, is to get rid of every bad characteristic which Allah (Tabaraka wa Taâ'ala) does not approve nor accept. In other words, Tahliya is to decorate one's self with the Divine Commandments, which have been transmitted by Rasoolullah, (salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam) in his holy traditions, and the book of Allah which has descended upon his heart as a revelation carried by Jibreel Alaihi Salaam, as he (salla Allaho alaihi wa sallam) said: I have left in (among) you two things, if you hold fast to them you will never go astray, the book of Allah and the Sunnah of his Prophet. So, the first Sufi is Al-Mustafa (the chosen one) salla Allho alaihi wa sallam, for the first one who went (entered) into seclusion is Rasoolullah, salla Allaho alihi wa sallam, that was in Ghar (cave) Hiraa, where he used to contemplate (meditate) yatahannath, and worship Allah according to the milla (religion) of our Master Ibrahim, which is the religion of Tawheed, (Allah's oneness). So, he worked on purifying his nafs, (self), his holy nafs, and his holy heart, and his holy soul, until Allah sent down to him Jibreel, who said to him: Iqra (read), he, salla Allaho Alaihi wa sallam, said: Ma ana bi Qari (I don't know how to read), that happened twice, in the third time, (Jibreel) said: Iqra bismi Rabbika la thee khalaq. ( Read in the Name of thy Lord, the one who created). The Prophet, Salla Allaho alaihi wa sallam, said: I have been sent to perfect the honrable Akhlaq (morals, ethics, morality, (good) manners). Allah says: "You are on (have) great Akhlaq."

Therefore, Tasawwuf, basically, is (comes) from purifying the Selves, Hearts and Souls, to have all of them directed towards Allah Ta'ala. The Mutasawwif (Sufi) must be a perfect example, an embodiment, as if he is a Qur'an walking on earth, and an embodiment of the Sunnah. He, salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam, was the first to call for the refinement of the Selves, the Akhlaq, the Souls and purifying them. How can a human being be happy, unless his Self and his heart, being purified, and become attached to his Lord. Therefor our master the Great Beloved said in the Hadith which has been narrated through a number of different chains of transmissim (Mutawatir), and related by Sayyidina Omar Ibn Al Khattab, "One day while we were sitting with the Messenger of Allah (may the blessings of Allah be upon him) there appeared before us a man whose clothes were exceedingly white and whose hair was exceedingly black; no signs of journeying were to be seen on him and none of us knew him. He walked up and sat down by the Prophet (may the blessings and peace of Allah be upon him). Resting his knees against his and placing the palms of his hands on his thighs, he said: O Muhammad Al Salaamu Alaika, He (salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: Wa alaika as Salaam. He said: tell me about Islam. The Messenger of Allah (may the blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: Islam is to testify that there is no god but Allah and Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, to perform the prayers, to pay the zakat, to fast Ramahaan, and to make the pilgrimage to the House if you are able to do so. He said: You have spoken rightly this is Islam. We were amazed at him asking him and saying that he had spoken rightly. He said: Then tell me about Iman. He said: It is to believe in Allah, His angels, His books, His messengers, and the Last Day, and to believe in Divine Decree, both the good and the evil thereof. He said: You have spoken rightly. He said: Then tell me about ihsan (and it is the third station), He said: It is to worship Allah as though you are seeing Him, for even when you are not (in lam takun) seeing him, yet truly he sees you.

How does that happen--it happens when you are not (in lam takun)*

Then He took himself off and I stayed for a time. Then he said: O Umar, do you know who the questioner was: I said: Allah and His Messenger know best. He said: It was Gabriel, who came to you to teach you your religion.

Therefor, there are three stations, Islam, that is, of course, what Rasoolullah has brought in the form of Kitab and Sunnah, it organizes the relationship between the Human being and his Lord, through the Ibadaat, and between him and his follow human beings through Mu'amalaat (rules of conduct, behavior, transactions), and his relationship with himself. This is the external (outward, outer) aspect, the Shari'a. A person might pray, while he is in the masjid, but after he leaves the masjid, he would cheat or steal, therefor nothing would be left (remain) of his salat, for one gets out of his salat only the part (portion) where his mind is present ( ma akila minha), then, on the day of Qiyama it will be folded like a piece of old cloth and thrown at his face and tell him: may Allah ruin (waste) you the way you have ruined me. So, outwardly, the sufi is eager to establish the rituals of Allah, the sufi is a man of determination, who does not look for easy ways (rukhas). He performs salaat on time, gives zakat, and never misses any thing.

There is a second stage in ascending, it is Iman, which is what takes place in the heart and confirmed by actions.

However, there is yet a third stage. We have the Shari'a, the Tariqh, and the Haqiqa. The tariqa (way) is the Iman, and the Haqiqa is the Ihsan. We have said: To warship Allah. How? How to worship him? Doesn't every muslim worship Allah? He prays, doesn't he? It is to worship him as though you are seeing him. How do you see Him? How can I see Him? In lam takun. If you are not, (literary, in Arabic, it means- if you do not exist-) You have to have no existence along side with His existence, to destroy all images, to see the Haqq, through the (khalq) creation, to walk with Allah. This is where Tasawwuf and the Muhammadan inheritors (Al worrath al Muhammadioon), those who inherited the Muhammadan weigh (Al Thiql al Muhammadi) and the Muhammadan reality ( Al Haqiqa al Muhammadiyya) come from. He, salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam, said in a holy hadith: I am from Allah, meaning I am from the light (noor) of Allah, and the believers are form my light. So, essentially, the light does not vanish, the light of The Truth, (Noor Al Haqq) never vanishes. Therefor, you have to realize your existence through His existence, in other words, not to have an existence of your own along side with His existence, to see Him in every form (appearance, image). In every appearance He appears, if you disappear from Him, He appears like a sun or a moon. You have to realize the existence of Al Haqq. If Al Haqq is not established within you, what existence are you talking about? Is there any (one, thing) which exist with out the one who gives existence? Where is it? Show it to me? How can something that perishes have an existence? So,what are you? Our beloved, salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam, narrates a Divine Tradition, (Hadith Qudsi): I have created Adam on my image (ala Surati). Therefor, you are the place of manifestations. Allah has ninety nine Names attributes, or names, only one is the Supreme Name (Al Ism Al A'zham), while the rest are attributes which manifest on the creation. He manifest himself on you with his name Al Samee, (The Hearer), so you began to hear with (the name) Al Samee. He manifest himself on you with Al Baseer, so you began to see with Al Baseer, therefor, He said: Asmi' bihi wa absir (19-38), He manifested him self on you with his name Al Mutakallim and you began to speak. In fact it is not you the one who speaks, It is Allah. All these attributes (Sifaat) are manifestations (Tajalliyaat). Therefor , Sufism guides the murid to Allah in order to teach him the the reality of his own self and the reality of his existence, and to show him that nothing exists but Al Haqq. Therefor he is a gift of mercy, Allah said: We have not sent you save a mercy to the worlds. So he carries nothing but the message of complete (unconditional) love to every thing that Allah has created, even animals, even plants and birds, for instance, he will not even step on an ant, even an ant a sufi does not step on, because it is Allah’s creation, because they (ants) are a nation, "One of the ants said: O you ants, get into your, habitations lest Solomon and his hosts crush you" (27-18). It's a nation.

Therefor, we as sufis guide the murid to know the reality of his self, in order that he will speak by Allah, hear by Allah, see by Allah, walk by Allah, and, destroy all images to reach to the one who created these images. Therefor, it has been said: you think that you are an insignificant germ, while the whole great world is within you. ((I was a hidden treasure, and I wanted to be known, so I created (the) creation, and through Me they knew Me)) It means that he was known through the creation. When Allah ordered (the angels) to prostrate to Adam by saying: "When I have fashioned him and breathed into him of My spirit, fall down in prostration into him (Lahu)" (15-29) who is "him" it is not Adam, it is the decree (Amr) that is in Adam. Adam is only a metaphor, an illusion, but this illusion is sanctified (holly), because He created him with his own hands, (sawwaitu hu bi yadi, wa nafakhtu fihi min ruhi). (To Allah applies the highest similitude) (16-60).

Therefor, the sufi is not what people think, he might feel sad, but he is sad when others are sad, and he is happy for their happiness, and he is the farthest from miserliness, and from hatred mankind, because he is educated (cultured) according to the (education, culture) of the Great Beloved, on the table of mercy, therefor, he will never violate peoples rights, and never disobey the Lord of people, or neglect his duty towards his religion and his nation. This is the way of our masters, may Allah be pleased with them, coming from our Master Rasoolullah.

Look at how he, salla Allaho alaihi wa sallam, used to fight oppression and oppressors, in the battle of Uhud and Badr. He wasn't lazy, sufism doesn't mean that we tell the sufi to sit in the zawia and that's it, no, he has to be like a bee, after Fajr he dashes to his work, adhering to the Book of Allah and the Sunnah of his Messenger, carrying mercy to the worlds. He is a Divine fragrance, wherever he goes, people smell his fresh sweet fragrance. All our masters, may Allah be pleased with them, have taken part in their nations affairs, in the people's problems and their suffering, all of them were Mujahids who never hesitate to defend their religion, their nation, or humanity in general. Yes, and this is a part of my mission. I am a man of tasawwuf, but I have been in cells (prisons) many times for the cause of the Truth, because Allah orders us to do so, and our master Rasoolullah ordered us to do so, not to give in for oppressors and their oppression, we call on the oppressors to back down on their oppression to people, and to do good for the sake of people, but we do not keep silent with our hands tied and lit them do what they want and oppress people, and eat up their property unjustly. No.

Sufism, then is the essence of Islam and the eternal reality which no one knows but us, who walk the path of knowing the essential reality of the Truth in their being.

This is only a brief (discourse), otherwise, tasawwuf is "Say: 'If the ocean were ink (wherewith to write out) the words of my Lord, sooner would the ocean be exhausted than would the words of my Lord, even if we added another ocean like it, for its aid.' (18-109)

____________________________________________________________ __________

and finds you unawares.

Topic:

*Islamic Dilemma & the Sufi Message* (6 of 55), Read 464 times

Conf:

Date:

Tuesday, October 08, 2002 12:25 AM

Assalamu alaikum brothers..

first of all, i seek sorry from everyone, for mismanaging the threads...i am a new here...pls bear with me...May allah(s.w.t) showers his mercy to u and to me...Ameen

To nausheen,

Wat is the message of the article? i cannot grasp and not only me normal people can't understand that article....

Wat is the intention of the author of the article?!

a. Is he trying to say, Allah and Human are one?!

{{{ (Hadith Qudsi): I have created Adam on my image (ala Surati). Therefor, you are the place of manifestations. }}}

b. Sufi's are the only ppl who follows the religion called "ISLAM"?!

Give the intended message clear....We r not scholars...We r ppl trying to learn , Islam as it is revealed to prophet (pbuh)

In ur article, i have found something, which need counter arguments

such like :

{{{He said: It is to worship Allah as though you are seeing Him, for even when you are not (in lam takun) seeing him, yet truly he sees you.}}}

Yes, When u have to pray , we have to think that we r meeting Allah(s.w.t), if u cannot atleast think that...Allah(s.w.t) is seeing you...

The intention of prophet in saying "If not" is alhamdulillah...he knows that everybody will not be so strong enough to think ,they r meeting allah....So prophet (pbuh) intended to make it less burden... he allowed the clause..."If not"...When prophet (pbuh) permitted the clause.....So, it is possible to live as muslim without wat sufi's claims to do....it means it is not necessary at all for watever they ask us to do ?! right?!
I am repeating the same question, which i posted in my earlier reply to Angel again...Did prophet (pbuh) taught or asked sahabahs(companions of prophet) to practice this tasawwuf..openly, i mean for everyone?!...when he didn't, u have to propose and preach things which prophet (pbuh) made himself silent....?

to say exactly, i don't have much knowledge on Tasawwuf matters ..ok., i accept for the sake of argument, it is there as they say...., but have these sufis ever narrate to u that wat r the steps involved in reaching those stages...how do they practice such tasawwuf..I have heard abt lot of tarikas where they take Baiat(complete unquestionable obedience, which is for prophets and caliphs alone..) from U , then they narrate to u...all those ways of acheiving it...If they r really truthful about this way of living, why they need the secrecy....?!
i wonder.....I wish..allah(s.w.t) should save ppl , who wants to be His true servant and seeks his ONLY guidnace from the mystic webs woven by elusive ,abominable Shaitan...

Ameen

Topic:

*Islamic Dilemma & the Sufi Message* (7 of 55), Read 474 times

Conf:

NAUSHEEN

Date:

Tuesday, October 08, 2002 01:26 AM

On 10/8/2002 12:25:00 AM, munthasir wrote:

>
>
>To nausheen,
>
>Wat is the message of the
>article? i cannot grasp and
>not only me normal people
>can't understand that
>article....

>Wat is the intention of the
>author of the article?!

Munthasir, the article is trying to give you a glimpse of what sufism is.

If you find it too mystical I can direct you to some easy sources also. The only reason why I dont like to get into arguments about this is that it reduces to too much of false stuff being attributed to the pious personalities, and then the sin will be upon myself, if I would encourage someone to do that.

If you sincerely want to learn more, here is a good and simpler read about sufism.

Click here

>a. Is he trying to say, Allah
>and Human are one?!

No. it says that allah is the one who exists, while the humans are existent only thru His will(not that it is something new or outside islam). So one should practice surrender in such a way that he may not have any desire except that which allah wills. Remember that humans have free will. Sufism emphasises that we should train our free will to surrender completely to allah, so that not even an ounce of desire is left to do anything that might not be pleasurable to allah.

>{{{ (Hadith Qudsi): I have
>created Adam on my image (ala
>Surati). Therefor, you are the
>place of manifestations. }}}
>
>b. Sufi's are the only ppl who
>follows the religion called
>"ISLAM"?!

sufis are the people who submit themselves 'completely' to the will of allah. if you follow the literal meaning of isalm, it means surrender.
Sufis surrender themselves completely, this is what is meant here. It is not trying to say anything like those who do good deeds according to their will, are not following islam ... the meaning here is somewhat metaphorical.

>Give the intended message
>clear....We r not
>scholars...We r ppl trying to
>learn , Islam as it is
>revealed to prophet (pbuh)

Yes, Munthasir, we are not scholars, but the sufis of olden times WERE great scholars. We cannot say that whatever tHey said was not according to sunnah and Quran. If you read the discourses of scholars like Imam ghazali, there are very strict instructions to stick to the sunnah. Yet he did not deny tawawwuf as one Of the science of islam ... the science of purification of the soul.
>
:
>
>{{{He said: It is to worship
>Allah as though you are seeing
>Him, for even when you are not
>(in lam takun) seeing him, yet
>truly he sees you.}}}
>
>Yes, When u have to pray , we
>have to think that we r
>meeting Allah(s.w.t), if u
>cannot atleast think
>that...Allah(s.w.t) is seeing
>you...
>
>The intention of prophet in
>saying "If not" is
>alhamdulillah...he knows that
>everybody will not be so
>strong enough to think ,they r
>meeting allah....So prophet
>(pbuh) intended to make it
>less burden... he allowed the
>clause..."If not"...When
>prophet (pbuh) permitted the
>clause..

The prophet has permitted the clause, and the sufis are NOT saying that if is not permissible to pray in such a way that you are not seeing allah. The sufis no where say that your salat will not be acceptable if you stand in niyah, and just imagine that you are infront of allah who is watching over you. Instead what is meant here is that for a more excellent salat, try to imagine that you are seeing allah when actually you are not seeing him.

...So, it is possible
>to live as muslim without wat
>sufi's claims to do..

Whatever sufis do, they NEVER say that salvation is not possible without that excellence.

I commend you to read sura waqiya from the holy Quran. Time is short, or I would have quoted, may be later ...

This chapter clearly says that ppl on the day of judgement will be divided into 3 groups.
1. ppl of the left hand (these are the non believers)
2. ppl of the right hand (believers)
3. ppl of the special favor.

Then the chapter describes who are these ppl, and tells us that the ppl of special favor are those who seek nearness of alalh.

All of us ordinary do not try to aspire for such great excellence . We try to put our lives on the track as according to the sunnah and Quran, and seek paradise, but the ppl of special favor, are those who put their lives on such a track according to sunnah and quran that they seek the countenence of allah.

Neither the sufis nor the Quran say that those who do not tred on the sufi tariqas will not achieve the gardens, but the favors are different to all according to our intentions and deeds.

Like the Quran says
17:21 see how we prefer one above the other (in this world), the hereafter will be greater in degrees and greater in preference.

..it
>means it is not necessary at
>all for watever they ask us to
>do ?! right?!

The sufis dont ask anybody to do anything. They do it for themselves, for their own souls. And yes, you are right it is not a matter of life and deah if one does not follow a tariqa.

>I am repeating the same
>question, which i posted in my
>earlier reply to Angel
>again...Did prophet (pbuh)
>taught or asked
>sahabahs(companions of
>prophet) to practice this
>tasawwuf..openly, i mean for
>everyone?!

I am not sure. But there is a hadith narrated by hadrath abu bakr that he said the prophet gave him two nasiha, one was to follow the sunnah and quran and the other if he would tell, ppl will accuse him of shirk. I was searching high and low for the source of this one since I read all the questions on tasawwuf, but have failed so far, so I request anyone to help me here.

...when he didn't, u
>have to propose and preach
>things which prophet (pbuh)
>made himself silent....?

>to say exactly, i don't have
>much knowledge on Tasawwuf
>matters ..ok., i accept for
>the sake of argument, it is
>there as they say...., but
>have these sufis ever narrate
>to u that wat r the steps
>involved in reaching those
>stages..

:-) Shaikh abdal qadir jilani (RAA) writes in his Futuh al ghaib ... (and many shld be bored of my quoting him so often on matters of tasawwuf):

There are two steps one needs to take to his lord. One is away from his nafs and the other away from His creatures.

Well, that has deep meaning and one can write paragraphs upon this one, but yes the scholars have taught the steps, which they followed, and the guides help their students in these steps on the path. The first step is to over power your nafs, ie tazkiyat an nafs.

.how do they practice
>such tasawwuf.

If you read in more detail you will know. (ie if you are interested in searching for truth about this topic)

You can practise in your day to day life. If is an excercise to clean your heart from all the polutions of lower self, desires, passion and the temptations of satan.
If you look closely there is nothing practised by the sufis that is not instructed in the quran or the sunnah, but this is science that gives more emphasis on the inward actions keeping straight all the outward actions as well.

.I have heard
>abt lot of tarikas where they
>take Baiat(complete
>unquestionable obedience,
>which is for prophets and
>caliphs alone..) from U ,
>then they narrate to u...all
>those ways of acheiving
>it...If they r really truthful
>about this way of living, why
>they need the secrecy....?!

There is no secrecy munthasir, at least I have no problem in letting you know all that I know, but I only avoid arguments where ppl dont want to accept a hadith, and label falsehood on the awliyah.

>i wonder.....I
>wish..allah(s.w.t) should save
>ppl , who wants to be His true
>servant and seeks his ONLY
>guidnace from the mystic webs
>woven by elusive ,abominable
>Shaitan...
>

There you go. After asking all the Qs so sincerely(or may be i could not read you so well), in the end you said what is so abominale against the pious saints.

May allah forgive you for your msitakes and help you to proper guidence. Ameen

If you are interested to learn on this subject, I can answer your questions, but if you only want to say in the end that the 'mystics' have woven a web and the shaitan makes you fall in is, then consider this as my last response to you in this string.

ma salama.
N

and finds you unawares.

IP IP Logged
Angel

Senior  Member

Quote Angel Replybullet Posted: 10 January 2007 at 8:40pm

Topic:

*Islamic Dilemma & the Sufi Message* (9 of 55), Read 459 times

Conf:

DavidC

Date:

Tuesday, October 08, 2002 06:21 AM

>>a. Is he trying to say, Allah and Human are one?!
(Hadith Qudsi): I have created Adam on my image
(ala Surati). Therefor, you are the place of
manifestations. <<

The first sentence appears in the book of Genesis
and is often interpreted to mean that God made
Adam with the ability to create (reproduce soulful
beings). A Judeo-Christian interpretation but it
seems consistent with Islam. I have been told here
by Muslims that angels and jinn do not have this
ability.

DavidC

Topic:

Islam & the Sufi Dilemma (10 of 55), Read 466 times

Conf:

Anonymous

Date:

Tuesday, October 08, 2002 02:29 PM

Praise be to Allaah.

The word “Sufism” was not known at the time of the Messenger or the
Sahaabah or the Taabi’een. It arose at the time when a group of ascetics
who wore wool (“soof”) emerged, and this name was given to them. It was
also said that the name was taken from the word “soofiya” (“sophia”)
which means “wisdom” in Greek. The word is not derived from al-safa’
(“purity”) as some of them claim, because the adjective derived from safa’
is safaa’i, not soofi (sufi). The emergence of this new name and the group
to whom it is applied exacerbated the divisions among Muslims. The early
Sufis differed from the later Sufis who spread bid’ah (innovation) to a
greater extent and made shirk in both minor and major forms
commonplace among the people, as well as the innovations against which
the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) warned us
when he said, “Beware of newly-invented things, for every newly-invented
thing is an innovation and every innovation is a going-astray.” (Reported by
al-Tirmidhi, who said it is saheeh hasan).

The following is a comparison between the beliefs and rituals of Sufism
and Islam which is based on the Qur’aan and Sunnah.

Sufism has numerous branches or tareeqahs, such as the Teejaniyyah,
Qaadiriyyah, Naqshbandiyyah, Shaadhiliyyah, Rifaa’iyyah, etc., the
followers of which all claim that their particular tareeqah is on the path of
truth whilst the others are following falsehood. Islam forbids such
sectarianism. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“… and be not of al-mushrikoon (the disbelievers in the Oneness of
Allaah, polytheists, idolaters, etc),

Of those who split up their religion (i.e., who left the true Islamic
monotheism), and became sects, [i.e., they invented new things in the
religion (bid’ah) and followed their vain desires], each sect rejoicing in
that which is with it.” [al-Room 30:31-32]

The Sufis worship others than Allaah, such as Prophets and “awliya’”
[“saints”], living or dead. They say, “Yaa Jeelaani”, “Yaa Rifaa’i” [calling on
their awliya’], or “O Messenger of Allaah, help and save” or “O Messenger
of Allaah, our dependence is on you”, etc.

But Allaah forbids us to call on anyone except Him in matters that are
beyond the person's capabilities. If a person does this, Allaah will count
him as a mushrik, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And invoke not, besides Allaah, any that will neither profit you, nor
hurt you, but if (in case) you did so, you shall certainly be one of the
zaalimoon (polytheists and wrongdoers).” [Yoonus 10:106]

The Sufis believe that there are abdaal, aqtaab and awliya’ (kinds of
“saints”) to whom Allaah has given the power to run the affairs of the
universe. Allaah tells us about the mushrikeen (interpretation of the
meaning):

“Say [O Muhammad]: ‘…And who disposes the affairs?’ They will say.
‘Allaah.’…” [Yoonus 10:31]

The mushrik Arabs knew more about Allaah than these Sufis!

The Sufis turn to other than Allaah when calamity strikes, but Allaah says
(interpretation of the meaning):

“And if Allaah touches you with harm, none can remove it but He, and if
He touches you with good, then He is Able to do all things.” [al-An’aam
6:17]

Some Sufis believe in wahdat al-wujood (unity of existence). They do not
have the idea of a Creator and His creation, instead they say that everything
is creation and everything is god.

The Sufis advocate extreme asceticism in this life and do not believe in
taking the necessary means or in jihaad, but Allaah says (interpretation of
the meaning):

“But seek with that (wealth) which Allaah has bestowed on you, the
home of the Hereafter, and forget not your portion of legal enjoyment
in this world…” [al-Qasas 28:77]

“And make ready against them all that you can of power…” [al-Anfaal
8:60]

The Sufis refer the idea of ihsaan to their shaykhs and tell their followers
to have a picture of their shaykh in mind when they remember Allaah and
even when they are praying. Some of them even put a picture of their
shaykh in front of them when they are praying. The Prophet (peace and
blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Ihsaan is when you worship Allaah
as if you can see Him, and although you cannot see Him, He can see you.”
(Reported by Muslim).

The Sufis allow dancing, drums and musical instruments, and raising the
voice when making dhikr, but Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“The believers are only those who, when Allaah is mentioned, feel a
fear in their hearts…” [al-Anfaal 8:2]

Moreover, you see some of them making dhikr by only pronouncing the
Name of Allaah, saying, “Allaah, Allaah, Allaah.” This is bid’ah and has no
meaning in Islam. They even go to the extreme of saying, “Ah, ah” or “Hu,
Hu.” The Sunnah is for the Muslim to remember his Lord in words that
have a true meaning for which he will be rewarded, such as saying
Subhaan Allaah wa Alhamdulillah wa Laa ilaaha illa Allaah wa
Allaahu akbar, and so on.

The Sufis recite love poems mentioning the names of women and boys in
their dhikr gatherings, and they repeat words such as “love”, “passion”,
“desire” and so on, as if they are in a gathering where people dance and
drink wine and clap and shout. All of this has to do with the customs and
acts of worship of the mushrikeen. Allaah says (interpretation of the
meaning):

“Their salaah (prayer) at the House (of Allaah, i.e., the Ka’bah at
Makkah) was nothing but whistling and clapping of hands…”

[al-Anfaal 8:35]

Some Sufis pierce themselves with rods of iron, saying, “O my
grandfather!” So the shayaateen come to them and help them, because they
are seeking the help of someone other than Allaah . Allaah says
(interpretation of the meaning):

“And whosoever turns away (blinds himself) from the remembrance of
the Most Beneficent (Allaah), We appoint for him a shaytaan (devil) to
be a qareen (intimate companion) for him.”

[al-Zukhruf 43:36]

The Sufis claim to have gnosis and knowledge of the unseen, but the
Qur’aan shows them to be liars. Allaah says (interpretation of the
meaning):

“Say: ‘None in the heavens and the earth knows the ghayb (unseen)
except Allaah…’” [al-Naml 27:65]

The Sufis claim that Allaah created the world for the sake of Muhammad
(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), but the Qur’aan shows
them to be liars. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And I (Allaah) created not the jinns and humans except they should
worship Me (Alone).” [al-Dhaariyaat 51:56]

Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, addressed His Prophet (peace
and blessings of Allaah be upon him) with the words (interpretation of the
meaning):

“And worship your Lord until there comes unto the certainty (i.e.,
death).” [al-Hijr 15:99]

The Sufis claim that they can see Allaah in this life, but the Qur’aan shows
them to be liars. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“[Moosa said:] ‘O my Lord! Show me (Yourself), that I may look upon
You.’ Allaah said, ‘You cannot see Me…’” [al-A’raaf 7:143]

The Sufis claim that they take knowledge directly from Allaah, without the
mediation of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)
and in a conscious state (as opposed to dreams). So are they better than the
Sahaabah??

The Sufis claim that they take knowledge directly from Allaah, without the
mediation of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).
They say, “Haddathani qalbi ‘an Rabbi (My heart told me from my
Lord).”

The Sufis celebrate Mawlid and hold gatherings for sending blessings on
the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), but they go
against his teachings by raising their voices in dhikr and anaasheed
(religious songs) and qaseedahs (poems) that contain blatant shirk. Did the
Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) celebrate his
birthday? Did Abu Bakr, ‘Umar, ‘Uthman, ‘Ali, the four imaams or anyone
else celebrate his birthday? Who knows more and is more correct in
worship, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and
the Salaf, or the Sufis?

The Sufis travel to visit graves and seek blessings from their occupants or
to make tawaaf (ritual circumambulation) around them or to make
sacrifices at these sites, all of which goes against the teachings of the
Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Do not travel to
visit any place but three mosques: al-Masjid al-Haraam [in Makkah], this
mosque of mine [in Madeenah] and al-Masjid al-Aqsa [in Jerusalem].”
(Agreed upon).

The Sufis are blindly loyal to their shaykhs, even when what they go
against the words of Allaah and His Messenger. But Allaah, may He be
exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Do not put (yourselves) forward before Allaah and
His Messenger…” [al-Hujuraat 49:1]

The Sufis use talismans, letters and numbers for making decisions and for
making amulets and charms and so on.

The Sufis do not restrict themselves to the specific blessings on the
Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) that were
narrated from him. They invented new formulas that involve seeking his
blessings and other kinds of blatant shirk which are unacceptable to the
one on whom they are sending blessings.

With regard to the question of the whether the Sufi shaykhs have some
kind of contact, this is true, but their contact is with the shayaateen, not
with Allaah, so they inspire one another with adorned speech as a delusion
(or by way of deception), as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And so We have appointed for every Prophet enemies – shayaateen
(devils) among mankind and jinns, inspiring one another with adorned
speech as a delusion (or by way of deception). If your Lord had so
willed, they would not have done it…” [al-An’aam 6:112]

And Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“… And, certainly, the shayaateen (devils) do inspire their friends (from
mankind)…” [al-An’aam 6:121]

“Shall I inform you (O people!) upon whom the shayaateen (devils)
descend?

They descend on every lying, sinful person.” [al-Shu’ara 221-222]

This is the contact that is real, not the contact that they falsely claim to
have with Allaah. Exalted be Allaah far above that. (See Mu’jam al-Bida’, 346
–359).

When some of these Sufi shaykhs disappear suddenly from the sight of
their followers, this is the result of their contact with the shayaateen, who
may even carry them to a distant place and bring them back in the same day
or night, to mislead their human followers.

So the important rule here is not to judge people by the extraordinary feats
that they may do. We should judge them by how closely or otherwise they
adhere to the Qur’aan and Sunnah. The true friends of Allaah (awliya’) are
not necessarily known for performing astounding feats. On the contrary,
they are the ones who worship Allaah in the manner that He has prescribed,
and not by doing acts of bid’ah. The true awliya’ or friends of Allaah are
those whom our Lord has described in the hadeeth qudsi narrated by
al-Bukhaari in his Saheeh (5/2384) from Abu Hurayrah, who said:

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)
said: “Allaah said, ‘Whoever shows enmity towards a friend (wali) of Mine,
I declare war against him. My slave does not draw close to Me with
anything more loved by Me than the religious duties that I have enjoined on
him, and My slave continues to draw close to Me with supererogatory
(naafil) acts, so that I will love him. When I love him, I am his hearing with
which he hears, his seeing with which he sees, his hand with which he
strikes and his foot with which he walks. Were he to ask [something] of
Me, I would surely give it to him, and were he to ask Me for refuge, I
would surely grant him it.’”

And Allaah is the Source of Strength and the Guide to the Straight Path.

Topic:

*Islamic Dilemma & the Sufi Message* (11 of 55), Read 465 times

Conf:

Angel

Date:

Tuesday, October 08, 2002 11:23 PM

~Please dont frown! For you never know who may be falling in love with your smile!~
------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------

Interesting, thank you :-).

Angel.

IP IP Logged
Angel

Senior  Member

Quote Angel Replybullet Posted: 10 January 2007 at 8:42pm

Topic:

*Islamic Dilemma & the Sufi Message* (12 of 55), Read 463 times

Conf:

Date:

Wednesday, October 09, 2002 02:15 AM

Bismillah
Assalamu alaikum

Alhamdulillah,

brother anonymous, i pray to allah(s.w.t) that he should be pleased with ur effort...Insa allah, we will try to fight the enemies of Islam in all modes and all forms of live.....Pls pray for the best of every muslims...and guidance for really seeking non muslims....

Wassalam

Topic:

*To munthasir* (13 of 55), Read 461 times

Conf:

Angel

Date:

Wednesday, October 09, 2002 03:03 AM

Hi munthasir,

[[[If i am right , the author of so called article is Non muslim....It is a real worst situation, where non muslim trying to teach wat is Islam ?! and there is no response from our muslims brothers...]]]

yes you are right the author is non muslim but from my small research is well conversed in religions both esoteric and exoteric parts both eastern and western, if someone is not muslim doesn't mean that they don't know Islam or any other religion.

[[[first of all the article talks about chaos and confusion right now in this world....to build background for their orginal intended message...
The intention is alhamdulillah clear to me..these non muslims trying to uses this sufi method to pacify muslims resurgence...]]]

I think you may have misunderstand the article as I interpret it in another way, didn't see any pacifying muslims, I simply found it be an inner aspect of Islam that somewhat lays hidden because to some it's a foreign place and not regarded as islam at all.

[[["After all, if we add up all the casualties caused by holy wars, crusades, inquisitions, and other battles taken up in the name of God, the endless line of corpses would seem to give the lie to religious claims of a higher morality or compassion."]]]

O.k this paragraph I'm sure is talking about all religions basically and that majority of wars are done in the name of God but the casualties, the corpses if added up speak for themselves that it is a lie that wars are done in the name of God.
As for your bit below, I'm sure he understands, he seems to know quite a lot about Islam, but he is talking about all religions not just islam solely in the paragraph.
Actually the article is from a book that talks/explains the esoteric aspects of religions for those who have lost their meaning of path they are on that are not filling spiritually or gives them inner joy to find new paths that give spiritual meaning and purpose in life and for those who are looking in general.

[[[The author of the article failed to understand the action and meanings of Islamic war.It is a fight against oppression. It is a fight against people, who were rebellious to god(Allah).Islamic soldiers are the first group of fighters ,who practised Do's and Don't 's even in the war.No way anybody can include islamic wars in the above category.Moreover, it is the same mystic prophet, who led hundreds of people in the battle field...so how could one gives important to one practice of beloved prophet and discardes the other.]]]

[[["In truth, bin Laden and Co. (or Islamic Jihad or Hezbollah) no more represent Islam than the judicially-selected Bush regime represents the whole of Western democracy. Behind each camp’s stated purposes and PR, loom the reptilian brain’s Will to Power – the opposite of the mystic’s realisation and of the stated goal of most religions: surrender to the will of God"
who gives authority to anybody to judge the other .No one has knowledge about other except Allah(S.W.T).Tell me, can anybody say America(i refer government and it s foreign policies) is a friend of muslims?!
Even, it is easy to say ,it is a enemy of Muslims...I am not sure about the type of their fight...but their intention of fighting against enemy of muslims , even though they are mightier than us...can't be belittled.]]]

I thinkyou failed to understand the passage, it means that bin laden is not a representative of islam anymore than Bush is of the west, either of them cannot speak for all on both parties and that behind them is power the power to rule which most say takes you away from yourself and your goal to surrender to the will of God.

[[["Despite Muhammad’s roles of prophet, commander in chief, and social arbiter, it was his vocation as mystic that preceded and subsumed his other responsibilities."
Ok., he had another way of living, to receive messages form Allah(s.w.t),no one denies that...But allah (s.w.t) says the religion is completed...then, y we have to live that way of life..when its doors are closed until the day of judgement..]]]

O.k, al muslims here agree that Muhammed is a spiritual/religious leader, right? then how did the spiritual side of islam come into play if Muhammed did not teach it ?

[[["This may sound terribly remote from anything of practical value, especially if one imagines this awakening to be a state of everlasting bliss which renders its recipient incapable of dealing with mundane affairs. However, Sufism teaches the need for the mystic to “descend” again into daily life, where he can function in normal situations while maintaining an expanded awareness. This is truly the path of Muhammad"
This article had talked about how nice it would be , if all the muslims are sufis.....had they narrated wat they have to do to be sufi....?!
If you happens to know, u might wonder, where did prophet taught all this ?!]]]

Can you answer your own questions in what you think ?

The above passage you quoted, do you understand it ? and you faild yo put this bit in which completes the passage *This is truly the path of Muhammed, who from the mystical point of view stands as exemplar for the "completed human:" one who is both physically and spiritually alive, and able to interpret his own Qur'an.*
Obviously all muslims agree, right ?

[[[i don't want to comment on the authenticity of their claim, that they have tradition upto Ali (r.a)....but watever they practice...is not taught by prophet(pbuh) to his followers.....atleast not for everyone.]]]

The only reason I can give as to why all is not taught because some will not understand or twist things, not all were eqipped to know what the prophet knew or not ready to know, I have a saying that Muhammed said: "I recieved from the messenger of God two kinds of knowledge," said the Prophet Muhammed, "One of these I taught...but if I taught them the other it would have broken their throats."
Now I don't know where this is or if it is the actually words, now from what I am learning that there is an outer and an inner or hidden aspect of religion, the inner is taught to a select few who seem to possess a higher level of learning to understand, like having a higher conscious and usually by word of mouth not written down. It's similar to Jesus when he spoke to his disciples alone supposedly taking about the inner aspects of religion by word of mouth behind closed doors, not everything was written down.
I do know a couple of verses to back this up but don't know it of by hand, the from the qur'ran has something to do with only the learned will know how to interpret the knowledge and there's another can't remember and the verses from Jesus I have one here "I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundations of the world" - Jesus(Matthew 13:35) there afew that I can interpret that way.

[[[Islam is not about jus' believing in something....It also about putting into practice of which u believe...]]]

I agree with you.

[[[Alhamdulillah....i have try to give out my opinion in this issue...]]]

And I myself :-)

Angel.

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version