Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

Prophets – Muhammad
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : Religion - Islam : Prophets – Muhammad
Message Icon Topic: Was Ayesha A Six-Year-Old Bride? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
semar

Online Status: Offline
Quote semar Replybullet Posted: 27 January 2010 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by sumuque

Salam

Thanks semar for reply. There are few things which I want to understand. Baligh is a term which as you explain can be a point where a girl can be married, however, Aysha was married when she was six ? Does it mean She was also Baligh at that time ?

Regarding aishah's age still disputable. A hadith say she move marriage at six, but moved to prophets house after 9, even one story her age is about 16 years old.

Please read the begining of this thread:

Originally posted by sumuque

Salam

Further I was reading verses of Sura Talaq, 65:4 which says and I quote;

"65:4 And those of your women as have passed the age of monthly courses, for them the 'Iddah (prescribed period), if you have doubts (about their periods), is three months, and for those who have no courses [(i.e. they are still immature) their 'Iddah (prescribed period) is three months likewise, except in case of death] . And for those who are pregnant (whether they are divorced or their husbands are dead), their 'Iddah (prescribed period) is until they deliver (their burdens), and whosoever fears Allah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make his matter easy for him"

Now according to this verse Iddah period for girls who are still immature is also three months ! Does it not imply that girls who are not mature yet can be married according to this verse ?

I think the ayah is imply in case for whatever reason the woman doesn't have period, such as due to abnormal hormone production etc, so the 3 months is the solution. Because within 3 month if the woman pregnant the symptom already can not be missed.

Regarding immature girl (before mens) marriages, I think there was not much documented history about it.

Edited by semar - 27 January 2010 at 9:34pm
Salam/Peace,
Semar
The Prophet said: "Do not eat before you are hungry, and stop eating before you are full"
"1/3 of your stomach for food 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
IP IP Logged
sumuque
Male None
Starter
Starter

Online Status: Offline
Quote sumuque Replybullet Posted: 27 January 2010 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by semar

Regarding aishah's age still disputable. A hadith say she move marriage at six, but moved to prophets house after 9, even one story her age is about 16 years old.

Please read the begining of this thread:

Well most of the authentic Hadiths like Bukhari put her age around 6 when she got married and moved to Muhammad's House around 9, if we accept Sahi Bukhari as an athentic collection, then there should not be a problem about it.

Originally posted by semar

I think the ayah is imply in case for whatever reason the woman doesn't have period, such as due to abnormal hormone production etc, so the 3 months is the solution. Because within 3 month if the woman pregnant the symptom already can not be missed.

Regarding immature girl (before mens) marriages, I think there was not much documented history about it.

I have searched the tafsir for this verse and came up with this, please have a look.

"(And for such of your women as despair of menstruation) because of old age, (if ye doubt) about their waiting period, (their period (of waiting) shall be three months) upon which another man asked: “O Messenger of Allah! What about the waiting period of those who do not have menstruation because they are too young?” (along with those who have it not) because of young age, their waiting period is three months. Another man asked: “what is the waiting period for those women who are pregnant?” (And for those with child) i.e. those who are pregnant, (their period) their waiting period (shall be till they bring forth their burden) their child. (And whosoever keepeth his duty to Allah) and whoever fears Allah regarding what he commands him, (He maketh his course easy for him) He makes his matter easy; and it is also said this means: He will help him to worship Him well." Link

As you can see that Tafsir of Ibn Abbas even narrated an incident where some one asked Prophet Muhammad directly and He replied that these young girls if got divorced, there period of Iddah would be same. So from the time of Prophet Muhammad's time, its seems clear that girls were given in marriages, even prior to attaining the age of puberty.

Now one question may arise that, though its possible that young girls may get married prior to the age of puberty, how ever its not necessary for them to have sexual relationship with their Husband, well, I think even this case would not make sense if we read the other Quranic verses in this regard, which clearly commands to Muslims that Iddah is only applicable, meaning that a girl or woman is to observe Iddah ONLY if she got married and have sexual relationship with her husband, other wise there is no Iddah. Please have a look this verse;

"O you who believe! When you marry believing women, and then divorce them before you have sexual intercourse with them, no 'Iddah [divorce prescribed period, see (V.65:4)] have you to count in respect of them. So give them a present, and set them free i.e. divorce, in a handsome manner."

now as we can see that logical out come of these verses. In 65:4 you have mentioning of Iddah period of women and girls, one must assume that Iddah is only required after a woman get married and then divorced and Iddah is only to be observed when this women or girl got married and had sexual intercourse with Husband !

So my question once again, should be assume that Islam allow's marriages of young girls before the age of puberty ?

Peace and all the best
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version