Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

Arabic Language
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : Culture & Community : Arabic Language
Message Icon Topic: Arabic Language Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
icforumadmin

Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote icforumadmin Replybullet Topic: Arabic Language
    Posted: 28 September 2006 at 12:18pm

Assalamu laikum/Peace be Upon You

Per request from some members, this topic is dedicated for Q/A regarding arabic language. Members who "master" in arabic can help other members who want to learn arabic.

Thanks,

Admin

IP IP Logged
Hanan

Senior  Member

Quote Hanan Replybullet Posted: 28 September 2006 at 4:49pm

Edited by Hanan
IP IP Logged
Fear_Allah
Female Islam

Quote Fear_Allah Replybullet Posted: 29 September 2006 at 2:05pm

Alsalam alikom w rahmat Allah w barakato,

Bismillah arahman arahim,

As I am  native arabic speaker,I hope I could help.Besides,my sister's fiance did his PHD in Arabic language,I may ask him if there is a hard question....

Hanan,

The Arabic language of the quran is proper Arabic "fusha"not colloquial.Of course you know that the bribe of "qurish" spoke that proper Arabic and they were very fluent in it.And Despite their fluency in Arabic,All of them admitted that the quran is not similar to their sayings.As the quran was challenging them of the best they had(their language).And when"Alwalid ibn al moghira" the enemy of Islam listened to the quran,he said that it's so sweet and nothing can be better than it.

About learning Arabic,I think that it's logical that you have to start with the alphabets as learning any other language (even I think that the arabic language is not like any other language)....

I hope I can help you....

Alsalam alikom w rahmat Allah w barakato..

Edited by Fear_Allah
Our LORD! accept from us. You indeed, You are the all-Hearing, the all-Knowing. (2:127)
IP IP Logged
Angela
 Christian
Senior  Member

Quote Angela Replybullet Posted: 29 September 2006 at 2:40pm

I do think the alphabet is the best way to start.

I was born in an all english speaking house with a few relatives that still spoke a smattering of Ruthenian/Ukrainian/Russian (depending on the person). 

I've learned 3 languages since that time (only one am I any good at)  Russian, Latin and Japanese.

We should start with letters and some very basic grammar rules, like i before e, except after c. 

IP IP Logged
rookaiya

Quote rookaiya Replybullet Posted: 02 October 2006 at 5:12am

im curious as to how will this be done. will it be purley in arabic or will there be transliteration as well. i suggest that we also have transliteration cos sometimes its difficult to pronounce the arabic words properly

IP IP Logged
Hanan

Senior  Member

Quote Hanan Replybullet Posted: 02 October 2006 at 9:04am

Edited by Hanan
IP IP Logged
Hanan

Senior  Member

Quote Hanan Replybullet Posted: 02 October 2006 at 9:26am

Edited by Hanan
IP IP Logged
ummziba
Female  Islam
Senior  Member

Quote ummziba Replybullet Posted: 02 October 2006 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Hanan

Ummziba, thank you for the alphabet. I've found the following web http://i-cias.com/babel/arabic/002.htm. What do you think?

Assalam alaikum and ramadhan mubarak Sister Hanan,

There are lots and lots of sites on the web for learning Arabic, the one you have posted is useful as it has sounds you can listen to.

For myself, I think that nothing can compare to actually speaking with someone who is an Arabic speaker in order to learn the language properly, but, any additional learning (web, books, tapes, etc.) is all good.

Over all, it is a difficult language to learn and only lots and lots of practice, oral as well as reading and writing are necessary.  The reading and writing part is (in my opinion) much easier than the oral part, there are sounds in Arabic that are very difficult to master for the non-native speaker!

My advice to beginner's, try learning from children's books/tapes/sites, that way you get the very basics needed to advance in the language.  When starting with adult oriented programs it is often far more difficult because they tend to "jump in with both feet" before the basics are taught (for example, learning phrases before you even know about fatha, kasra or dhamma is just confusing!).

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version