Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

Islam for non-Muslims
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : Religion - Islam : Islam for non-Muslims
Message Icon Topic: Jihad - The Meaning Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Leii

Online Status: Offline
Quote Leii Replybullet Topic: Jihad - The Meaning
    Posted: 18 September 2006 at 9:15am

Sorry if this is open somewhere else but I am following someone's suggestion in another thread to start this topic and ask the question: What does Jihad mean? Or what is the meaning of it?

I always thought it meant Holy War but maybe I got the wrong end of the stick here!

Could someone please explain it to me?

If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England.
IP IP Logged
superme

Quote superme Replybullet Posted: 18 September 2006 at 9:38am

It means natural struggle. Something that we do it in an instant. An act that we must do.

A pregnant woman is doing jihad because it is a natural struggle. A man working to feed his family is doing jihad. When you fight a burglar that robbing your house you are doing jihad. It is natural struggle.

When people defending their own country from an invading foreigners they are doing jihad. I am now doing jihad explaining my best to you because it is natural for me to do this.

Now you have the idea of what it is - now you can find further that fall into jihad.

IP IP Logged
Leii

Quote Leii Replybullet Posted: 18 September 2006 at 10:45am

Why has Jihad come to be interpreted as Holy War?

Why is it used to describe the conflict between Isreal and the rest of the Middle East?

I am not trying to insult or provoke, I am genuinely interested to know

IP IP Logged
Leii

Quote Leii Replybullet Posted: 18 September 2006 at 1:09pm

Sorry to clarify - perhaps I should have asked why had Jihad come to mean Holy War, the conflict with Israel etc in the West? Is this just the Western interpretation of it?

Is it just the result of trying to over-simplify different cultures, words, meanings etc so that it is available and accessible for everyone to understand?

IP IP Logged
ak_m_f

Senior  Member

Quote ak_m_f Replybullet Posted: 18 September 2006 at 1:12pm
search jihad in forum search option.
IP IP Logged
superme

Quote superme Replybullet Posted: 18 September 2006 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Leii

Why has Jihad come to be interpreted as Holy War?

Qital or fighting is part of jihad.

Originally posted by

Why is it used to describe the conflict between Isreal and the rest of the Middle East?

There are millions of palestinian refugees who want to return to their homes, unless if you have any othere sugestion what they suppose to do? And the remaining palestinian in there also want to live in their home freely. Being free at home without fear is natural for human to live, unless of course if you want to say otherwise?

Originally posted by

I am not trying to insult or provoke, I am genuinely interested to know

Don't worry about that with me, it will take you few post of insults before I will remind you first with question if it is insultive even to your standard. Otherwise it will be different people with different ideologies, ideologies that have shaped us into what we are today.

IP IP Logged
peacemaker
Male Islam
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote peacemaker Replybullet Posted: 19 September 2006 at 10:19am
Islamic Glossary Home

Jihad

Other Commonly Used Spellings: JIHAAD

It is an Arabic word the root of which is Jahada, which means to strive for a better way of life. The nouns are Juhd, Mujahid, Jihad, and Ijtihad. The other meanings are: endeavor, strain, exertion, effort, diligence, fighting to defend one's life, land, and religion.

Jihad should not be confused with Holy War; the latter does not exist in Islam nor will Islam allow its followers to be involved in a Holy War. The latter refers to the Holy War of the Crusaders.

Jihad is not a war to force the faith on others, as many people think of it. It should never be interpreted as a way of compulsion of the belief on others, since there is an explicit verse in the Qur'an that says:"There is no compulsion in religion" Al-Qur'an: Al-Baqarah (2:256).

Jihad is not a defensive war only, but a war against any unjust regime. If such a regime exists, a war is to be waged against the leaders, but not against the people of that country. People should be freed from the unjust regimes and influences so that they can freely choose to believe in Allah.

Not only in peace but also in war Islam prohibits terrorism, kidnapping, and hijacking, when carried against civilians. Whoever commits such violations is considered a murderer in Islam, and is to be punished by the Islamic state. during wars, Islam prohibits Muslim soldiers from harming civilians, women, children, elderly, and the religious men like priests and rabies. It also prohibits cutting down trees and destroying civilian constructions.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/reference/glossary/term.JIHAD.ht ml

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
IP IP Logged
Leii

Quote Leii Replybullet Posted: 19 September 2006 at 10:29am
Thank you Peacemaker
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic