Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

Islam for non-Muslims
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : Religion - Islam : Islam for non-Muslims
Message Icon Topic: Does the New Testament teach that Jesus ? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
DavidC

Senior  Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote DavidC Replybullet Posted: 25 April 2005 at 1:10pm
Yeah blonde - how'd you do that!

Don't you know giant bald headed smiley faces are offensive to us giant
bald headed smiley faced people?

DavidC
IP IP Logged
rbaitz

Quote rbaitz Replybullet Posted: 25 April 2005 at 1:31pm

Bissmillah,

The Bible contains both Old and New Testaments or a better word for it is Covenant. There was an old Covenant that God established with the people of Israel, which they completely failed, however, this old covenant was only temporal in that it was looking ahead to the New Covenant established by Jesus God's Son.

What was this new covenant performing or establishing? Why was this new covenant created in the first place?

The first covenant wasn't flawed, but mankind is flawed due to our sinfulness. As a result man failed to keep God's standards of goodness. For example, we have all lied at one time in our lives, ever stolen, ever looked with lust at someone else, ever hated someone unrighteously, ever coveted which is desiring things or people for yourself, ever said "oh God" when mad to express disgust, have you always at every moment of the day throughout your entire life always put God first, have you ever spoke about others gossip, or have you always loved your neighbor (someone next to you at any given moment)? These are just some of God's standards of goodness. However humanity has completely failed God's standards of goodness, therefore as a result we deserve hell, eternal separation from our Creator forever.

Since there is no way we can pay for our own sins, God established a New Covenant in which He has established righteousness for sinful humanity. God demonstrated His love toward us in that while we were still sinners Jesus died for us. The New Covenant was established by the Messiah, God's Son, by His death on a cross where He shed His own blood for the sins of the world. Now within this New Covenant both Jew and non-Jew (Gentiles) can all receive forgiveness for our sins. Repentance (which is a turning from our sins to God) and acceptance of Jesus as the Son of God who died for our sins and acceptance of Him as the leader of our life guarantees of forgiveness for sins, a relationship with God and we become children of God. Unless we repent and believe in the gospel we are still in our sins and under God's wrath.

Why the shedding on His blood?

You may have read in the Old Testament/Covenant that the Jewish Priest would sacrifice lambs as sin offerings or better a temporary covering that shadowed what was to come in the New Covenant. Covenants are always established in blood. God made a covenant with Abraham that he would be blessed, it was established through blood. Read about Moses, "So Moses took the blood and sprinkled {it} on the people, and said, "Behold the blood of the covenant, which the LORD has made with you in accordance with all these words." (Exodus 24:8). In the New Covenant Jesus was the perfect lamb of God who would take away the sins of the world. The Jewish priests offered sacrifices continually in the Old Covenant. But there was to come a perfect sacrifice that needed to be only once, establishing the New Covenant and ending the Old Covenant. Without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins.

Robin

Edited by rbaitz
IP IP Logged
rbaitz

Quote rbaitz Replybullet Posted: 26 April 2005 at 1:22pm

"In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God, and the Word was God" John 1:1

And the Word became flesh and dwelt amongst us..." John 1:14

The Bible teaches Jesus is God. This is what Christians believe because this is what God's word reveals.

Robin

IP IP Logged
Angel

Senior  Member

Quote Angel Replybullet Posted: 27 April 2005 at 7:01am

Actually I don't find it that Jesus is God.

We have the bible or the quran which is supposedly be God's words, so really when we speak them ourselves either verbally or actions, does it not that the word becomes flesh ? and are we then God?

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
IP IP Logged
rbaitz

Quote rbaitz Replybullet Posted: 03 May 2005 at 7:21pm

Angel,

The "Word" on the gospel of John is unique and only applied to Jesus. "The Word is God" John 1:1c. Can you claim to be God? No! Only God can claim that, which Jesus is God, the eternal Son, as we read from the Bible and to which the disciples gave their own lives for, many in a torturous death.

Also John 3:16 "God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life". Again the uniqueness of the Son of God is different from a son of God who has been made a son of God or child of God by faith in Jesus the Savior of the world.

Robin

IP IP Logged
Angel

Senior  Member

Quote Angel Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2005 at 6:02am

I don't believe that Jesus said he was "God"

If God beget a son and Jesus is God's son, then Jesus cannot simply be God 

Re-read your verse John 3:16.

God so loved the world that He gave His one and only son - How can Jesus be "God" then ?

God gave His son Jesus, not Himself!

IP IP Logged
rbaitz

Quote rbaitz Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2005 at 2:28pm

Angel,

Your mixing up categories here. The Bible speaks of One true God. So One-- What. But the Bible also speaks of the eternal Persons of the Godhead; the Father being God, the Son being God, and the Holy Spirit being God. So three-- Who's. Therefore there is One God who exists eternally, and within this One God there exists three co-equal Persons. Now as a finite being I cannt fully comprehend this, however this can be apprehended from the Bible. Also as a finite being I bow my knee to the infinite God and His word believing Him.

This topic I started is, "Does the New Testament teach that Jesus is God?" It does as I have shown. Please goto page 2 of this topic and read what I posted. There I give examples from the Bible where it teaches the Father, Son and Holy SPirit are called God. Read for yourself so you can know what the Bible says for itself. Then you can deny the Bible or accept it for what it truly says.

Next, John 3:16 mentions God the Father and the Son (Jesus). The Father is called God here who has sent His unique Son to earth. Your question doesnt make sense to me because the Father is called God here, so?? this doesn't mean Jesus is not God also! It does however show the different Persons within the Godhead. Ask yourself this, "Who is Jesus since he pre-existed his own human birth from Mary?" Jesus himself said he pre-existed, even before father Abraham, look at John 8:58. Who can pre-exist before their human existance? None of us can claim this! The Bible tells us, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth..."Genesis 1:1. However turn to John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God (the Father), and the Word was God."  The Word is applied to Jesus, God the Son, the Word was in the beginning before creation even existed. John 1:3 tells us the Word created all things. Jesus being the Word is also the Creator of all things. Ask yourself, "Jesus is said to have created everything, how can he be just a man?"

Robin

Edited by rbaitz
IP IP Logged
Angel

Senior  Member

Quote Angel Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2005 at 6:40am

Robin, in your post on page 2 you mention:

In conclusion we find the Bible does teach there is but One true God, not two or three or more. However this One true God is made up of Three distinct Persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, co-equal and eternal, yet all are in unity within our understanding of One true God.

From what I have come to learn the Christian group the Trinitarians say this.

Also you say, all are in unity within our understanding of One true God, then shouldn't we understand but you say below as an finite being cannot understand this. You don't make sense here.

Do I understand this? No! However as a finite being not knowing everything,

Next, John 3:16 mentions God the Father and the Son (Jesus). The Father is called God here who has sent His unique Son to earth.

Your words here reveal that Jesus is not God but God's son. Being God's son doesn't make you God, The One true God, Creator.

From reading scripture, I do find it not saying that Jesus is God, there is a clear distinction, at least for me there is.

I have talked quite thoroughly on this, as your talk goes into the Trinity. If you go to the forum Interfaith and to the thread Trinity my talk is there from page 3 onwards.

Also you might like to go to this link about the trinity and the verses you bring across.

http://www.heaven.net.nz/writings/trinity.htm  

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version