Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

Islamic Arts & Literatures
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : Culture & Community : Islamic Arts & Literatures
Message Icon Topic: The Burda of Imam Al-Busiri Post Reply Post New Topic
Knowledge01

Online Status: Offline
Quote Knowledge01 Replybullet Topic: The Burda of Imam Al-Busiri
    Posted: 30 June 2006 at 7:51am

I was compelled to translate The Burda after a trip to Mauritania in which I realized it was everywhere, on everyone's tongue, always present, always ready to ignite the instant, alter the ambience, enhance the state, bring the presence of the beloved into the room, the tent or wherever we happened to be. Sitting once with my teacher Abd Allah Ould Ahmadna, I heard for the first time a line from Imam Busiri, "If Allah places a people in the service of the serene, then they too become serene." As those words flowed from the tongue of my serene teacher, I realized in that moment the reason for my existence, my soul was branded with the power of those words forever. That is Imam al-Busiri.

I have heard the Burda many times in many places. In Morocco, I was transported to another world, a perfect world free of sin, free of vice, free of temptation and upon leaving the gathering, I felt as if was once again, we were exiled from the Garden. I have seen Yemenis filled with the same joyful spirit singing in their own unique way like innocent children freed from fear while praising the one who on the day all have fear shows none. Once in Madina, two Sudanese sang a section in a way that brought the poem back to its home, Africa. While it is sung in Indonesia, Pakistan, India, Turkey, Kosovo, Chechnya, Bosnia, even in China, it is and always will be from Africa. It is like Africa, as deep as the oceans that surround her, as powerful as her Nile, as vast as her Sahara and containing as many lights as a starry desert night in Niger.

Hamza Yusuf

Go here to download the entire Burda for FREE.
http://www.sunnitorrents.com/viewtopic.php?p=15905#15905

IP IP Logged
UmmAminata

Online Status: Offline
Quote UmmAminata Replybullet Posted: 16 November 2006 at 11:27pm

Ma'sha'Allah

Thank you for that.

I will be purchasing soon.

How did you feel about it?

Mrs. Dia
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic