Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

Islam for non-Muslims
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : Religion - Islam : Islam for non-Muslims
Message Icon Topic: Free Will Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 15 Next >>
Maryga

Online Status: Offline
Quote Maryga Replybullet Posted: 13 February 2006 at 3:53am

People who have a 'faith' tend to believe that the world and their lives, and other peoples lives, are 'determined' by whatever God or force that they believe in. However, allow they believe that God determines everything they also believe that God has given humans 'free will' which can act against what is already 'determined'. ANY OBJECTIONS SO FAR?

YES. I am a believer in God. And I believe that God answers those who sincerely call upon Him and even what is "determined" can be changed. That limited free will gives us the opportunity to acknowledge Him, obey His Commands and know that He answers the prayers of every sincere suppliant. If we were to believe that everything is determined where is the need to pray or do anything good?

To simply believe that everything is "determined" is fatalistic.

IP IP Logged
awesomeJ

Quote awesomeJ Replybullet Posted: 13 February 2006 at 4:26am
I suggest someone post a note on Qada` and Qadar concept here please?? And there two types of qada' isn't it?
IP IP Logged
DavidC

Senior  Member

Quote DavidC Replybullet Posted: 13 February 2006 at 6:03am
Something I learned here several years ago is that God knows the
outcome of events, but he also sees into our hearts and intentions.

Our intentions are influenced by free will, and also by our spiritual
condition.

I believe this existence is a 'training mission' for our eternal life. If life
was a video game, believers would be working hard to gain skill points
and inventory. We know we will experience 'game over', but we try our
best.

Non-believers are more concerned with finding cheat codes and hacks
where all the players show up naked.

As was posted earlier, this choice of belief/non-belief is the crux of free
will.

Edited by DavidC
David C.
IP IP Logged
ak_m_f

Senior  Member

Quote ak_m_f Replybullet Posted: 13 February 2006 at 6:46am
Originally posted by awesomeJ

Assalam-alaikum I'm newbie here..but when I watch movie - The MatrixI start to beleive (in my own interpretation),that we live in a world which is govern by law of nature which i would like to repronounce as 'sunnatullah' - law that Allah have stated even before the creation of universe, that govern all living or non-living thing. If you understand how the comp. programs work, like the computer program in the matrix movies, the program itself has the path or mathematical formula that 'predetermined' for the program to run.. and as a human, as a part of universe, we can have several choices to enter the input of the program and the output will produce result, consequences, outcome etc based on the 'sunnatullah, or mathematical, law , rules or whatever you want to call it. In other words.. we have the freedom to choose our action (our action may not be predetermined).. but for sure wo don't have freedom to choose our outcome..choices --> process by sunnatullah --> outcomewallahu a'lam

AFter watching last 3 matrix movies:

following questions came to my mind:

What if we are not living in the real world? and matrix is the real world? how do we know that we are not awake?

waht if we are comtrolled by computer known as "God'?
IP IP Logged
Tim Evans

Quote Tim Evans Replybullet Posted: 13 February 2006 at 10:16am

DavidC,

"Non-believers are more concerned with finding cheat codes and hacks
where all the players show up naked."

I say old chap, this is a bit harsh, and wrong. Contrary to your outright accusation of me being a "cheat" etc, I can tell you that there is no dishonesty or advantage in being a "Non-believer" as you say. One reason for this is because we have to put up with rude remarks and worse, from escapists who compare life with a "video game". That is: people who can only respond to life as a compilation of dramatic sounds and images that they bought, or swapped with someone else. Extraordinary!

As was posted earlier, this choice of belief/non-belief is the crux of free
will. "

Please tell us more, how is it the "crux"?

Edited by Tim Evans
Tim in Britain
IP IP Logged
Tim Evans

Quote Tim Evans Replybullet Posted: 13 February 2006 at 10:29am

ak,

Trust me friend, lay off the matrix! 

Tim in Britain
IP IP Logged
AhmadJoyia

Quote AhmadJoyia Replybullet Posted: 13 February 2006 at 12:40pm
Sometimes, I wonder, how people without faith in God, define as what is "cheat" and why it offends them? For that matter, how even they define "morality" (e.g. honesty or selflessness etc.) other than from experiences gained through human history; a human history which itself is not independant of faithfull people. Specifically speaking, why do they feel dishonesty and selfishness is bad and therefore wrong? Are these not the typical doctrinal realms of all faith in God based religions? Strange indeed!! 
IP IP Logged
Tim Evans

Quote Tim Evans Replybullet Posted: 13 February 2006 at 2:32pm

Ahmad,

The quick straight answer to your wondering is this

"People without faith in God", generally believe that humans developed morality to fit their social, family or personal circumstances and that God or Gods are a creation of man, not the other way around.

I can appreciate that this is unthinkable to people who have a "faith" but let me put this question.

Would people with "faith" have no 'morality' if morality was not commanded by their "faith"? I don't believe they would.

Is anyone saying that people without "faith" in God are immoral?  I can assure you they are not.

A "cheat" is someone who breaks and agreed code to secure an advantage,

Edited by Tim Evans
Tim in Britain
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 15 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version