Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

Interfaith Dialogue
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : Religion - Islam : Interfaith Dialogue
Message Icon Topic: 50,000 Errors in the Bible Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 13 Next >>
Angela
 Christian
Senior  Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote Angela Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2006 at 12:05pm

Well, I was raised in a dual household.  I remember apocrypha being read as scripture by my aunts.  I also realize that in early Christianity there were many texts, such as the Gnostic texts that were rejected due to their incompatibility with the body of the texts.  We use the KJV in my own church.  The reason being its the most accurate of the bible translations.  However we must allow for the possibility of lost texts even prior to the Birth of our Lord. 

66 books by over 40 authors is a daunting task by any council.  I do not think there was any maliciousness in the Council of Nicea when agreeing on the Bible.  The most important thing is that we continue to delve into its depths and look outside to further gain our sense of belief and truth.

IP IP Logged
Servetus
Male Christian
Senior  Member

Quote Servetus Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2006 at 12:06pm

(Alibaba)  “The Bible has some 40 plus authors.  One of the proofs of the divine inspiration of Scripture is that 40 plus authors could write such a book that is so unform in its doctrine - how beautifully these various men wrote (under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit), a 66-book document that consistently teaches montheism, salvation by God's grace, andthe coming forth of the Messiah, Jesus, to pay the penalty of sin (compare Genesis 3:15 and Isa. 53 for instance).”

Interesting parenthetical aside, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.”  I suppose that would be worth mentioning.  Otherwise, the “amens” coming from what are ostensibly orthodox Christians on this board, including the arbiters of orthodoxy, to that part of Cyril’s statement which reads “the Bible was written by men” would seem quite inexplicable. 

Serv 

Edited by Servetus
IP IP Logged
Patty

Senior  Member

Quote Patty Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2006 at 12:18pm

Not by me, Servie, not by me!

Patty

Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
IP IP Logged
Patty

Senior  Member

Quote Patty Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2006 at 12:21pm

Angela said:

"I also realize that in early Christianity there were many texts, such as the Gnostic texts "

Angela, my friend, the Gnostic texts were researched extensively and found to be extemely heretical.  Have you read them?  They are a real eye-opener as far as "unbelievers" go.  'Course, that's only my humble opinion.

Patty

Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
IP IP Logged
Suleyman

Senior  Member

Quote Suleyman Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2006 at 12:35pm
Muslims should be careful SO CAREFUL on Bible,there are so many ayats being untouched and same as revealed from Allah,by the way one denies the whole bible then becomes Khafir...some ayats in the bible really touch the hearts...
IP IP Logged
Angela
 Christian
Senior  Member

Quote Angela Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2006 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Patty

Angela said:

"I also realize that in early Christianity there were many texts, such as the Gnostic texts "

Angela, my friend, the Gnostic texts were researched extensively and found to be extemely heretical.  Have you read them?  They are a real eye-opener as far as "unbelievers" go.  'Course, that's only my humble opinion.

Patty

I've read a few.....you are right, there needed to be a consolidation and canonization of texts.  But, I don't think we should reject a text just because its not in the 66.  Look at the wealth of knowledge coming out of the dead sea scrolls.  Some discoveries are obviously something to question, like the Gospel of Judas.  But each should be evaluated on its own merits. 

IP IP Logged
Yankovich

Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote Yankovich Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2006 at 3:19pm
The so-called Gospel of Judas has been debunked by the Roman Catholic Church and proven a Gnostic forgery, probably written sometime after 300 AD - hardly something you'd want to canonize.
GETTING TO THE TRUTH!
IP IP Logged
Angela
 Christian
Senior  Member

Quote Angela Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2006 at 3:28pm
I was using it as an example.  The Gospel of Judas is an obvious forgery.  When between the Garden of Gethsemane and his suicide did he have an opportunity to write a Gospel clearing himself?  Of course its a forgery.....but that's its merit.  I was talking about taking each one and looking over it before its just dismissed without reason.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 13 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version