Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

Groups Men (Brothers)
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : Culture & Community : Groups Men (Brothers)
Message Icon Topic: Stop Letting Boys Run Wild!!! Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 8 Next >>
Jenni

Senior  Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote Jenni Replybullet Posted: 30 April 2006 at 12:31am
GCSE 'gender gap' sparks concern
Esha Aggarwal and Naomi Sather
Esha Aggarwal and Naomi Sather have 22 GCSEs
This year's GCSE exam results, which more than 600,000 students are getting on Thursday, show that girls are still outstripping boys in almost every subject.

The government says it is worried by the "unacceptable" gender gap of nine percentage points at the top grades.

GCSE facts
5.8 million results
More than 50 subjects
Pass rate 97.9%
A*-A: 16.4%
(up 0.3)
A*-C: 57.9%
(up 0.8)
- girls: 62.4%
- boys: 53.4%

The overall pass rate in the more than five million papers sat this year in England, Wales and Northern Ireland was identical to last year's: 97.9%.

Those getting the top grades has risen for the 14th year in a row, by 0.8 to 57.9%.

The proportion of grades A* and A awarded went up less than a third of one point, to 16.4%.

< name=exams =http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/openurl.pl method=post>
< style="FONT-SIZE: 12px; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" name=link> < value=# ed>Choose a results table: < value=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/education/02/exam_results//gcse.stm>GCSEs < value=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/education/02/exam_results//gcse_sc.stm>GCSE short courses < value=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/education/02/exam_results//f_gnvq.stm>Foundation GNVQs < value=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/education/02/exam_results//i_gnvq.stm>Intermediate GNVQs < value=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/education/02/exam_results//a_level.stm>A-levels < value=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/education/02/exam_results//as_level.stm>AS-levels < value=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/education/02/exam_results//val.stm>Vocational A-levels < value=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/education/02/exam_results//vdal.stm>Vocational Double A-levels < value=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/education/02/exam_results//vasl.stm>Vocational AS-levels < value=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/education/02/exam_results//adv_ea.stm>Advanced Extension Awards < style="FONT-WEIGHT: 800; FONT-SIZE: 11px; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #990000; BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #990000; COLOR: #ffffff; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #990000; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; : #990000; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #990000" ="window.location=.exams.link.s[.exams.link.s.edIndex].value; return false;" =submit value=GO>

As usual Wales did better than England, with 59.7% getting A* to C grades as opposed to 57.4% - and Northern Ireland recorded 68.4%.

'An issue'

The convenor of the Joint Council for General Qualifications, which issued the results, John Milner, said this indicated that GCSEs were "a stable qualification".

"Not a tremendous amount is happening to it," he added - a comment on the big changes in A-levels which resulted in a jump in the pass rate last week.

But he said the gender gap was "clearly an issue".

The difference at grades A* to C, which had narrowed a little last year to 8.9 percentage points, has risen again to nine points, with 62.4% of girls' exam entries achieving the top grades and 53.4% of boys'.

'Gender neutral'

Even in the "boys' toys" subject - information technology - the girls are doing better. The gap has gone up from 6.4 points to 8.7.

Margaret Hodge
Margaret Hodge: Urging schools to do better
"We take every possible effort to ensure that the questions we set are appropriate to people of both genders, all backgrounds," Mr Milner said.

"We make sure questions are fair and balanced and we will certainly be happy to participate in any work that's looking at the reasons for the gender gap - we would be delighted to get involved."

David Hart, general secretary of the National Association of Head Teachers, said that while the results demonstrated a good performance by many students, "the boys are dragging down the results".

"There is not a cat in hell's chance of significantly reducing the 40% of results that are below grade C, unless the boys raise their game," he said.

The Minister for Lifelong Learning and Higher Education, Margaret Hodge, praised the hard work of teachers and students but also said there was still room for improvement.

'Must try harder'

But she said the gap between boys and girls "remains worryingly high".

"The achievement gap between boys and girls remains unacceptable," she said.

"We already have a number of initiatives in place to reduce the gap but we will continue to identify other ways of responding to the gender difference."

An idea in a government consultation on 14 to 19 education is to allow bright, "fast-track" pupils to by-pass GCSEs and go straight to AS-levels.

Targets

But Mrs Hodge said: "GCSEs remain a vital indication of young people's progress and our reform agenda has made it clear that we are ambitious for all young people."

The government has set various goals for the GCSEs - for instance that 95% of students should get at least one pass by this year, and that all schools should have at least a fifth of their students getting five top grades by 2004.

This year's collated raw results relate to exam entries, not the performance of students or schools, so do not show what progress has been made towards these targets.

The school-by-school results on which the league tables in England are based are published towards the end of the year.

Mrs Hodge said the latest figures did suggest that "we are moving in the right direction but we still have much work to do".

'Change needed'

The Conservative spokesman, Damian Green, said they showed that too many boys were "turned off learning".

"We need urgently to improve the courses we offer in secondary schools, particularly to those who have practical skills."

This year's vocational results show there were 66,000 Intermediate GNVQ entries, with a pass rate of 71.5% - girls beating boys by 7.8 percentage points.

The first of the new Vocational GCSE courses start this autumn.

Phil Willis
Phil Willis: Thinks GCSEs have had their day

"Other countries provide much better vocational courses, which keep more pupils engaged in school and therefore willing to take GCSE-type academic exams as well," Mr Green said.

The Liberal Democrats' Phil Willis - paraphrasing the education secretary's attack on comprehensive education - said the "one-size-fits-all GCSE system" had reached the end of its useful life.

"Students, tested to destruction, are having their achievements devalued by a system that puts exams before education," he said.

"A new 14-19 curriculum would allow us to replace GCSEs with an examination system more appropriate to young people's learning than government targets."

WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's James Westhead
"Most people who leave school without GCSEs are five times more likely to be unemployed"
Education minister Margaret Hodge
"It's also about societal differences"

GCSES

Background

Success stories

TALKING POINTS

A-LEVELS

Row over standards

Real lives

TOMLINSON INQUIRY
See also:

18 Aug 02 | Education
Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Education stories are at the foot of the page.

You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
IP IP Logged
salman

Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote salman Replybullet Posted: 30 April 2006 at 4:22am

Originally posted by foody

salman

Salman do that to your son and the effect of with the FATHER is horrindous....your SON will love you for it instead of leaving him like you leave a boy in a forest!

foody, forest boys are more smarter . don't you know that? don't you know how smart was tarzan?

It is better to be alone than to be in bad company.
IP IP Logged
foody

Quote foody Replybullet Posted: 30 April 2006 at 8:41am
salman

But we don't live in forests anymore, what we need is an environment suited for boys where there are no girls to distract or causing competitions between them. That is one step to success hence schools for boys and schools for girls, all this time we are feeling sorry for girls because we separate the classes for girls/boys, etc, but all along we were doing a perfect job for both the sexes. Now we harmed one gender big time and that are BOYS. Great stuff eh what we are doing, great stuff?
IP IP Logged
Apex

Quote Apex Replybullet Posted: 30 April 2006 at 11:45am

Honestly the issue here is not a religious one. The freedom of boys is like that in a lot of cultures. I don't say most as I don't know "most" cultures myself. The same goes for Hispanic culture. Boys have a lot of freedom and the father is normally strict on the daughter. In patriarchal traditions boys are normally geared toward things which are considered "manly" and young girls geared towards things which are feminine. Children are bi-products of both parental influence and social environment. This is nothing new. What you are arguing Jenni is a matter of cultural upbringing. It's funny because when I used to go to college our professor made us split us up into small groups and we' have to argue our positions against one another on certain subjects and this subject regarding children and nature vs nurture came up.

I remember learning a lot and all I know is that a lot of cultural traditions are this way. Even in some American societies this is how is is. The best you can do is worry about your own kids.

IP IP Logged
foody

Quote foody Replybullet Posted: 30 April 2006 at 4:18pm
As I was coming up from the elevator I saw a mom, daddy and two beautiful boys entering the elevator one of the boy there he is all happy, smiling, energetic and in a good mischevous way, his smile on his face was like a cure of all diseases in the world. He IS perfect in every sense, in every sense and pure of heart, isn't this why we are fighting to save and protect for? Their smile and laughter gives us heart lift of joy and happiness we owe them at least to give them civilty, nurture and make sure they are confident on themselves and what better way to give this to them then making sure they are well educated? When I was in my home country in Lebanon I saw and heard children playing outside, their scream of laughter and playfulness was like a music to my ears, now here there is nothing but the sound of cars? What sort of society we live in today, did you not know that children and wealth are the joy of this world? Why take that away (I am talking here in the western world) I have yet to see a child play and scream joyfully without it been scripted or worse I have yet to hear a child play and scream of joy. And if there is, it is in restricted home zone area, saparation of city and family zone, all artifical to me....unnatural..* sigh *

Edited by foody
IP IP Logged
salman

Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote salman Replybullet Posted: 30 April 2006 at 10:39pm

salman

But we don't live in forests anymore

foody, then u should not have quoted as below

Salman do that to your son and the effect of with the FATHER is horrindous....your SON will love you for it instead of leaving him like you leave a boy in a forest!

IP IP Logged
foody

Quote foody Replybullet Posted: 30 April 2006 at 11:10pm
Salman

What does that have to do with anything? I really don't see your valid arguement there. Are you suggesting that the only reason fatherhood no more valid because we are not in caves and in forests like tarazan jumping from trees to trees? Yes the role of FATHERHOOD is much powerful on their boys, father and son, as well as it is important to girls too, but we cannot deny the fact that sons have what we call "hero-worship" and they seeks their desires from their fathers to teach them how to be a man, to teach them discipline, to show the the right path, TO MAKE their sons intellectual both spiritually and mentally.  Come on dads * starts clapping his hands * stop letting the shaytaan telling you, you are wortheless..do YOU think for a second if the name of fatherhood or father not mentioned in the quraan many times that fatherhood is unimportant. FATHERS are not like the mothers that is a good thing as it makes balance between two worlds.

As for my statement there, I ment is that if you show your son to behave well, to guide him in his troubled times, to support him many times when he falls and he will fall, he will fall so much you will lose count THAT is why you are there, to help him stand up again.  That you AS HIS father will make a very superior impact on him he will do GOOD if not EXCELLENT job at schools and find better job to make him survive in this world.
IP IP Logged
salman

Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote salman Replybullet Posted: 30 April 2006 at 11:26pm
next time be careful of what you say foody as i cannot tolerate the statements which hurt me !
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 8 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version