Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

Comments & Complaints
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : General : Comments & Complaints
Message Icon Topic: Harassing Emails(Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 6 Next >>
ak_m_f

Senior  Member

Online Status: Offline
bullet Posted: 12 April 2006 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Mishmish

Assalamu Alaikum:

Just a reminder that there may be some Jehovah's Witnesses on the forum and we should respect them as we would any other member.

Jazak Allah Kheir.

Dwanna

really? can you point them out?
IP IP Logged
Mishmish

Senior  Member

bullet Posted: 12 April 2006 at 9:32pm

Assalamu Alaikum:

At any given time there are numerous guests on the forum reading without posting. Besides, I don't think we know the religious beliefs of everyone here, do we?

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
IP IP Logged
ak_m_f

Senior  Member

bullet Posted: 12 April 2006 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by Mishmish

Assalamu Alaikum:

At any given time there are numerous guests on the forum reading without posting. Besides, I don't think we know the religious beliefs of everyone here, do we?

ok,

I thought that you had someone specific in mind.

btw, why it says:

"guest group"

in front of:
Katherine
Meng
JohnDM
Community

what happened to them?

IP IP Logged
Angela
 Christian
Senior  Member

bullet Posted: 13 April 2006 at 7:38am

I WAS Russian Orthodox, John Brown.  My grandfather's family was from L'viv, Ukraine.  My father's family was Protestant Methodist.

What I got called a wack job over was mentioning the reason I left the Protestant faith was during church one day we were reading the creeds and such out of the back of the Red UMC Hymnal and there was a passage that talked about being damned to hell without baptism.  It struck me as horrible that God would punish a baby who died without baptism in hell.  I could not believe that a Baby sinned by not being baptized and that's the first time I realized Original Sin was wrong. 

That is what got me called a wack job.  Of course, that and they were trying to save my soul from the evil Mormon Church.  Of which, I am a faithful member of now. 

Respecting anothers faith doesn't mean you have to agree with them, it just means that you give them the respect of not shoving your religion down their throats.

IP IP Logged
Athanasius

Guest Group
Guest Group

bullet Posted: 13 April 2006 at 8:10am

Angela, I went to a United Methodist Church for many years. I have never seen anything in any of their literature, books, hymnals or manuals which states that if one is not baptized they will go to hell.  You are mistaken, I believe.  If not, refer me to the literature of which you speak and I will personally check it out.  \

Anyone that knows anything about Christian denominations should be aware that the United Methodist Church is one of the most liberal of the denominations, and for them to make such a declaration as you have stated would be totally out of character.

Again, provide documentation or withdraw the accusation. I feel you have demeaned all Methodists, and the moderators can consider this a complaint.

Freedom is a gift from God - to deny men freedom is to worship evil.
IP IP Logged
Angela
 Christian
Senior  Member

bullet Posted: 13 April 2006 at 8:16am

Athanansius, it was in the Red UMC Hymnal, and I read it about 12 years ago.  I neither own that hymnal anymore nor remember the exact quotation.  And the last time I went to church with my grandmother, the parish had new hymnals, so you'd have to find the one that was in use in 1994 or earlier.  If I had one, I'd be happy to find the verse.

IP IP Logged
Athanasius

Guest Group
Guest Group

bullet Posted: 13 April 2006 at 8:37am

But I do know that hymnal.  Are you talking about the Apostles' Creed which states in it, "one baptism for the remission of sins?"  That's the only thing in there that could even come close to what your saying. I know the old and Methodist hymnals very well - and no place does it say that lack of baptism sends a person to hell.  You are misrepresenting the faith of Methodists, and I'm asking for an apology. 

I'd ask any fair-minded person not to pay any attention to this accusation, but look at the evidence which I will forthwith present to you.  Methodists have never taught that baptism is the means of regeneration (in fact, this is a Roman doctrine which is also taught in the Eastern Orthodox, Campbellite and Mormon churches).  Here is proof that Methodists do not agree with the doctrine of baptismal regeneration as is taught by the groups I have mentioned.  I am posting the Articles of Religion, modified from the Thirty-Nine Articles of the Book Of Common Prayer - Episcopalian, which are the primary doctrinal exposition of Methodism  Any person can read for themselves that baptism is not the "means" but a "sign." 

http://www.godonthe.net/cme/methdist/art_xpln.htm

Freedom is a gift from God - to deny men freedom is to worship evil.
IP IP Logged
Angela
 Christian
Senior  Member

bullet Posted: 13 April 2006 at 8:44am

Actually one of the things that attracted me to the Church is the sinlessness of the soul at birth and the baptism at the age of reason.

However, I will not apologize for my personal experience.  Since I do not have the hymnal on hand, I cannot find the phrase.  I've been looking all over the internet of an online copy of the edition that was in used by my parish at that time.  I cannot find a copy online that is searchable other than just the hymns.  If you could provide me the link I will find you the phrase. 

But, my experience is my experience and I will not lie to save someone else's feelings.  Someone wanted to know why I left.  That is one of the reasons.  Or perhaps, the ministers in my parish were teaching off doctrine.  That happens in many churches around the country.

My family is still Methodist.  Understand I don't HATE Methodists.  I just disagree with their doctrines.

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 6 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version