|Active Topics Memberlist Calendar Search Help|
|Register Login Old Forum|
|Pillars of Islam|
|IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : Religion - Islam : Pillars of Islam|
|Topic: The First 10 Days of Dhul-Hijjah|
Joined: 25 March 2005
Location: South Africa
Online Status: Offline
| Topic: The First 10 Days of Dhul-Hijjah
Posted: 28 December 2005 at 10:00am
As Salamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu
Alhamdulillah some of us will be performing Haj this year. Most of us unfortunately will not be doing so. The first ten days of Dhul-Hjjah are amongst the days chosen by Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala in which our deeds during these days are multiplied many times over, both for those performing Haj and for those not performing Haj. Here is another opportunity for us to get closer to Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala, to purify our deeds and actions and try to attain piety. How Merciful is Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala to His ungrateful servants, He gives us opportunities upon opportunities to get closer to Him.
Ibn Abbas (Radhi Allahu Anhuma) said that the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) said: “There are no deeds more precious in the sight of Allah, nor greater in reward, than the deeds done during the 10 days of Sacrifice.” The people asked, “Not even Jihad for the sake of Allah?” He (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) said: “Not even Jihad for the sake of Allah, except in the case of a man who went out to fight, giving himself and his wealth up for the cause and came back with nothing.” (Al-Bukhari 2/382)
The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) recommends us to do good deeds according to the above Hadith.
What can we do during these auspicious days? Here are some recommendations
1. Reciting Tasbih (saying Subhanallah – glorification of Allah)
2. Reciting Tahmid (saying Alhamdulillah – praising Allah)
3. Reciting Takbir (saying Allahu Akbar - Allah is the Greatest)
4. Reciting Tahlil (saying La ilaha illa Allah – There is no god but Allah)
5. Fasting these days especially the Day of ‘Arafat for the non-pilgrims. Fasting on this day will expiate for the sins of the previous year and the next year. Please note pilgrims do not fast on the day of ‘Arafat. The ninth day of Dhul-Hijjah is the day of ‘Arafat, since it is on this day that the pilgrims gather at the mountain plain of ‘Arafat, praying and supplicating to their Lord. It is mustahabb (highly recommended) for those who are not pilgrims to fast on this day, since the Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) was asked about fasting on the day of 'Arafat, so he said: "It expiates the sins of the past year and the coming year." (Muslim no. 1 162)
6. Giving Charity
7. Reciting the Glorious Qur'an.
8. Repenting and seeking forgiveness
9. Increase Nawafil (voluntary) prayers.
10. Slaughter a camel, cow, sheep or goat in commemoration of the sacrifice of Prophet Ibrahim (Alayhi Salam). This sacrifice is an obligation upon all those who have the means to do so - according to the most correct opinion of the Scholars. (Ibn Taymiyyah in Majmoo' Fataawaa (23/ 162- 164))
11. And continue to glorify Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala during the appointed days of Haj (i.e. from the 10th to 13/14 Dhul Hijjah.) This is a Sunnah that is forgotten, so lets revive it. The companions you to say: Allaahu-Akbar, Allaahu-Akbar; Laa-ilaaha-ill-Allaah; Wallaahu-Akbar, Allaahu-Akbar; Wa-lillaahil-hamd, during these days.
12. Don't forget to perform the Eid prayer.
Insha Allah Let’s reap the benefits of these days.
May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala guide all of us to His Path, strengthen our Iman, Unite the Ummah and reward us with Jannatul-Firdaus. Ameen!
Wa Alaikum Salam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu
“Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An’am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
|You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Note: The 99 names of Allah avatars are courtesy of www.arthafez.com