Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:
         

Interfaith Dialogue
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : Religion - Islam : Interfaith Dialogue
Message Icon Topic: The Moon Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 24 Next >>
Author Message
Abu Loren
 
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 29 June 2012
Location: United Arab Emirates
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1164
Quote Abu Loren Replybullet Posted: 13 June 2014 at 3:33am
Ok if it makes you guys happy.

IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!
IP IP Logged
schmikbob
Male Agnostic
Senior Member
Senior  Member


Joined: 27 June 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 513
Quote schmikbob Replybullet Posted: 13 June 2014 at 3:46pm
Abu Loren, I have hope for you yet.
IP IP Logged
airmano
 
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 31 March 2014
Location: France
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 98
Quote airmano Replybullet Posted: 14 June 2014 at 3:14am
In the end I think that this example is very interesting.
Abu Loren insists that he has "really seen" it, whereas the others (me included) doubt that the observation which he certainly made contains any "physical truth" in the sense that the moon really changed it's speed.
The reason why I think that this example is relevant is because it illustrates the (frequent) divergence between what we feel and think and the measurable "objective" world. Besides the laws of physics one of my strongest arguments against his interpretation is (please see the second post at the beginning of this thread) that nobody else in the world has observed it (at least nobody reporting to it to any newspaper for example). It means probably millions of independent observation in conflict with one (or two) local observations. In addition there have been measuring devices all over the world which didn't detect anything either.
I don't doubt that you (Abu Loren) really "felt" it the way you describe, but there is (I repeat myself) very strong outer evidence that [the interpretation of]your observation is flawed. May be this can serve as an example that what we feel (as strong as the feeling may be) is not necessarily correct. Independent (multiple) observation, confirmation and measurements (preferably intercultural) from outside are likely to bring you closer to the "truth".

Up to you to draw further conclusions about [your] religion from it.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 14 June 2014 at 3:24am
IP IP Logged
Abu Loren
 
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 29 June 2012
Location: United Arab Emirates
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1164
Quote Abu Loren Replybullet Posted: 14 June 2014 at 3:44am
Last night the moon was behind us during the same time scale.

I'm now beginning to believe in the popular theory of the moon being a projection. (The real moon hidden).

Having said all that, at around 4am when I went for Fajr prayer the moon was at the same position or thereabouts and very bright. This being the middle of the month. (Full moon).
IP IP Logged
Abu Loren
 
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 29 June 2012
Location: United Arab Emirates
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1164
Quote Abu Loren Replybullet Posted: 15 June 2014 at 3:41am
Originally posted by airmano

In the end I think that this example is very interesting.
Abu Loren insists that he has "really seen" it, whereas the others (me included) doubt that the observation which he certainly made contains any "physical truth" in the sense that the moon really changed it's speed.
The reason why I think that this example is relevant is because it illustrates the (frequent) divergence between what we feel and think and the measurable "objective" world. Besides the laws of physics one of my strongest arguments against his interpretation is (please see the second post at the beginning of this thread) that nobody else in the world has observed it (at least nobody reporting to it to any newspaper for example). It means probably millions of independent observation in conflict with one (or two) local observations. In addition there have been measuring devices all over the world which didn't detect anything either.
I don't doubt that you (Abu Loren) really "felt" it the way you describe, but there is (I repeat myself) very strong outer evidence that [the interpretation of]your observation is flawed. May be this can serve as an example that what we feel (as strong as the feeling may be) is not necessarily correct. Independent (multiple) observation, confirmation and measurements (preferably intercultural) from outside are likely to bring you closer to the "truth".

Up to you to draw further conclusions about [your] religion from it.

Airmano


This has nothing to do with religion.

It's just a report of an unusual occurrence as seen by two guys.

One minute the moon was directly overhead then next it was disappearing below the horizon.

Science can't explain it.
IP IP Logged
Ron Webb
Male Humanism
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 30 January 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1784
Quote Ron Webb Replybullet Posted: 15 June 2014 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Abu Loren

One minute the moon was directly overhead then next it was disappearing below the horizon.

"One minute"?  Your first post said it took two hours.

See how these anecdotal reports tend to get exaggerated in the retelling?  Next you'll be saying that the moon split. Wink

Science can't explain it.

Sure it can.  One part optical illusion, one part hyperbole, and one part observational error.
Addeenul ‘Aql – Religion is intellect.
IP IP Logged
Abu Loren
 
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 29 June 2012
Location: United Arab Emirates
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1164
Quote Abu Loren Replybullet Posted: 15 June 2014 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Ron Webb

Originally posted by Abu Loren

One minute the moon was directly overhead then next it was disappearing below the horizon.

"One minute"?  Your first post said it took two hours.

See how these anecdotal reports tend to get exaggerated in the retelling?  Next you'll be saying that the moon split. Wink

Science can't explain it.

Sure it can.  One part optical illusion, one part hyperbole, and one part observational error.


"One minute" is a brit term for a short time.

Every time something weird happens you guys reach for your science books. When you open it and you see "E=MC2" then you are happy. If it doesn't then you are all bewildered.

What I'm saying is that you guys just cannot think outside the box.
IP IP Logged
Ron Webb
Male Humanism
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 30 January 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1784
Quote Ron Webb Replybullet Posted: 15 June 2014 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Abu Loren

"One minute" is a brit term for a short time.

And two hours is a short time?

Every time something weird happens you guys reach for your science books. When you open it and you see "E=MC2" then you are happy. If it doesn't then you are all bewildered.

Whereas you guys open your Quran and see "Allah did it"; then you just turn off your brain.

What I'm saying is that you guys just cannot think outside the box.

You mean we can't abandon rationality.  No, we can't.  Or more precisely, we won't.

Addeenul ‘Aql – Religion is intellect.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 24 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed herein contain positions and viewpoints that are not necessarily those of IslamiCity. This forum is offered to stimulate dialogue and discussion in our continuing mission of being an educational organization.
If there is any issue with any of the postings please email to icforum at islamicity.com or if you are a forum's member you can use the report button.

Note: The 99 names of Allah avatars are courtesy of www.arthafez.com

Advertisement:



Sponsored by:
Islamicity Membership Program:
IslamiCity Donation Program  http://www.islamicity.com/Donate
IslamiCity Arabic eLearning http://www.islamiCity.com/ArabAcademy
Complete Domain & Hosting Solutions www.icDomain.com
Home for Muslim Tunes www.icTunes.com
Islamic Video Collections www.islamiTV.com
IslamiCity Marriage Site www.icMarriage.com