Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

Interfaith Dialogue
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : Religion - Islam : Interfaith Dialogue
Message Icon Topic: The Moon Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 24 Next >>
marcello

Guest Group
Guest Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote marcello Replybullet Posted: 05 August 2014 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by abuayisha

. . . Living in America I'd be happy with the Ten Commandments to somewhat anchor our youth through education. . . .

Perhaps you don't realize that seven of the Ten Commandments would be unconstitutional if enacted into law. The remaining three (the prohibitions against murder, stealing, and lying) can all be found in the moral codes of societies that pre-date any of the so-called scriptures (e.g., the code of Hammurabi). Indeed, it is difficult to imagine how human society could have evolved without those three prohibitions.

Before you proclaim your happiness with the other seven Commandments, you might take a look at the punishments for breaking some of them:

1. I am the Lord your God, thou shalt have no other gods before me. Punishment: Death. Deut.13:6-10 and 17:2-6.

2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water below.
Punishment: Death. Romans 1:23-32

3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord in vain.
Punishment: Death. Leviticus 24:16

4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Punishment: Death. Exodus 31:15 (by stoning, Numbers 15:32)

5. Honor thy father and thy mother.
Punishment: Death. Exodus 21:15-17

6. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shall not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his slaves, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything that is thy neighbors.
Punishment: Death. Romans 1:29-32

Edited by marcello - 05 August 2014 at 12:07pm
IP IP Logged
abuayisha

Senior  Member

Quote abuayisha Replybullet Posted: 05 August 2014 at 8:32pm
Oh c'mon marcello, a bit disingenuous; "Punishment:Death", hey, but fair enough. I certainly don't want any teenager put to death for dishonoring their parents, but I think you get the picture. A society with diminishing values can be problematic.
IP IP Logged
Abu Loren

Senior  Member

Quote Abu Loren Replybullet Posted: 06 August 2014 at 3:51am
Originally posted by marcello

Let's take a look at just a few of the moral teachings handed down by your imaginary "God Almighty":

An uncircumcised boy is to be abandoned by his parents and community. Genesis 17:14

Whoever works, or even kindles a fire, on the Sabbath "shall be put to death." Exodus 35:2-3

The Israelites should make slaves out of their heathen neighbors and their families. Leviticus 25:44-46

Stone everyone to death who has religious beliefs that are different from your own. Deuteronomy 17:2-7

Those who do not believe in Jesus will be cast into a fire to be burned. John 15:6

Allah turned the Sabbath-breaking Jews into apes. Quran 2:65-66

Don't be friends with non-Muslims. They all hate you and want to ruin you. Quran 3:118

Unbelievers will be tormented forever with fire. When their skin is burned off, a fresh skin will be provided. Quran 4:56

Allah has cursed the Jews and hardened their hearts. Nearly all of them are treacherous. Quran 5:12-13

Do you agree that your Creator has the right to dictate Rules and Laws in how you should live?
IP IP Logged
Ron Webb
Male Humanism
Senior  Member

Quote Ron Webb Replybullet Posted: 06 August 2014 at 4:38am
Originally posted by Abu Loren

Do you agree that your Creator has the right to dictate Rules and Laws in how you should live?

Not if He wants to be considered "loving" and "merciful".
Addeenul Aql Religion is intellect.
IP IP Logged
marcello

Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote marcello Replybullet Posted: 06 August 2014 at 6:30am
Originally posted by Abu Loren

No, I don't acknowledge the existence of a Creator, and even if I did, I wouldn't agree that such an entity has the right to dictate how I live. Do parents have the right to dictate how their adult children shall live?

Moreover, as those "dictates" are so often ridiculous (e.g., death by stoning as a punishment for not observing the Sabbath), one should question the existence or the sanity of such a "Creator".
IP IP Logged
marcello

Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote marcello Replybullet Posted: 06 August 2014 at 6:48am
Originally posted by abuayisha

Oh c'mon marcello, a bit disingenuous; "Punishment:Death", hey, but fair enough. I certainly don't want any teenager put to death for dishonoring their parents, but I think you get the picture. A society with diminishing values can be problematic.

Not really disingenuous; here is the argument I was trying to make:

I certainly agree that teenagers should honor their parents, and that people should treat each other fairly, etc. But I don't agree that people should do those things because they are mandated by their "God". Posting the Ten Commandments is saying exactly that. And when you resort to using "God" as the justification for rules of behavior, then you don't get to pick and choose which rules to follow. So, as I indicated, if it is the mandate of "God" that you must honor your parents, that it is also the mandate of "God" that you must be put to death if you fail to do so.

There are far better bases for moral and ethical behavior than religion (just look up "secular morality" and you'll find a plethora of well-written arguments for that point of view). Using religion as the basis for morality is just far too dangerous--and leads to stoning people for apostasy.
IP IP Logged
Abu Loren

Senior  Member

Quote Abu Loren Replybullet Posted: 06 August 2014 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb

Not if He wants to be considered "loving" and "merciful".

He is loving and Merciful because you are still alive. As the Creator of everything He has the right to dictate terms and conditions as He pleases. Disobeying Him is called a sin.
IP IP Logged
Ron Webb
Male Humanism
Senior  Member

Quote Ron Webb Replybullet Posted: 06 August 2014 at 3:00pm
He's loving and merciful because He doesn't kill me??  That set's the bar rather low, don't you think? LOL 
Addeenul Aql Religion is intellect.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 24 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version