Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

Science & Technology
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : General : Science & Technology
Message Icon Topic: Flat Earth and the Geocentric Universe Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
schmikbob
Male Agnostic
Senior  Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote schmikbob Replybullet Posted: 12 June 2014 at 6:40am
Once again, you've got to be kidding, right. You need to take a class on dynamics of motion. Relative acceleration and velocity can appear like magic to anyone ignorant of the concept.
If you have some study in mind, done with cannon balls in the last several hundred year, I'd like to read about it because the effects of a spinning earth on projectile motion are well, by which I mean totally, understood.
IP IP Logged
Abu Loren

Senior  Member

Quote Abu Loren Replybullet Posted: 12 June 2014 at 11:53am

By removing Earth from the motionless center of the Universe these dark philosophers ( Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo, Newton, Einstein) have moved us physically and metaphorically from a place of supreme importance to one of complete nihilistic indifference.

This guy should receive the Nobel Prize just for this sentence alone. :)
IP IP Logged
Ron Webb
Male Humanism
Senior  Member

Quote Ron Webb Replybullet Posted: 12 June 2014 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Abu Loren

Experiments have been performed firing cannons at all cardinal directions to check for earth's rotation. If the earth was really spinning as the Heliocentric model suggests then the East firing cannon ball should fall significantly farther than all others and the West firing cannon ball should fall significantly closer than all others. In actual fact, however, regardless of which direction one fires a cannon North , South, East or West the distance covered is always the same.

The earth rotates in an easterly direction with a velocity at the equator of about 1500 feet per second (relative to a non-rotating inertial frame of reference).  For argument's sake, lets assume that the muzzle velocity of a cannon is also 1500 fps.  Let's also assume the cannon ball hits the ground after one second, with a range of 1500 feet.

The eastern cannon ball has a total velocity of (1500+1500=) 3000 fps, so it will travel 3000 feet in a second -- but the earth will also have travelled 1500 feet in that second, so the ball will land (3000-1500=) 1500 feet away from the cannon.

The western cannon ball will have a net velocity of 0 fps, i.e., from the point of view of the non-rotating frame of reference it will fall straight down from the cannon.  But meanwhile the earth is moving at 1500 fps, so by the time the ball lands the cannon will be 1500 feet away.

Same distance.

By removing Earth from the motionless center of the Universe these dark philosophers ( Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo, Newton, Einstein) have moved us physically and metaphorically from a place of supreme importance to one of complete nihilistic indifference.If the Earth is at the centre of the Universe then idea of God, creation and the purpose of human existence are resplendent. But if the Earth is one of billions of planets revolving around billions of stars in billions of galaxies , then [the] idea of God, creation and a specific purpose of Earth and human existence become highly implausible.

Smartest thing you've said so far. Tongue
Addeenul ‘Aql – Religion is intellect.
IP IP Logged
Ron Webb
Male Humanism
Senior  Member

Quote Ron Webb Replybullet Posted: 12 June 2014 at 8:34pm

By the way, if you're quoting someone else please make that clear.  Otherwise it's plagiarism.
IP IP Logged
Abu Loren

Senior  Member

Quote Abu Loren Replybullet Posted: 13 June 2014 at 3:26am
Originally posted by Ron Webb

By the way, if you're quoting someone else please make that clear.  Otherwise it's plagiarism.

U f00l I said this guy..... meaning not me.

You are a despicable person Ron Webb.
Get God into your life, perhaps that will make you a better human being In Shaa Allah.

Edited by Abu Loren - 13 June 2014 at 4:09am
IP IP Logged
Abu Loren

Senior  Member

Quote Abu Loren Replybullet Posted: 13 June 2014 at 4:11am

Smartest thing you've said so far. Tongue

I didn't say it. I gave a link to Youtube, so you would know who said it. :)
IP IP Logged
Ron Webb
Male Humanism
Senior  Member

Quote Ron Webb Replybullet Posted: 13 June 2014 at 7:44pm

U f00l I said this guy..... meaning not me.

Not in the original post, you didn't.  When your subesquent post mentioned "this guy" I wondered at first why you were awarding yourself a Nobel Prize.  It wasn't until I did a bit of surfing that I realized they weren't your words.

I didn't say it. I gave a link to Youtube, so you would know who said it. :)

Giving a link does not make it clear that you are quoting from that link.  If you're going to quote someone, use quotation marks.  I realize punctuation is going out of fashion these days, but they still have their uses.

Anyway, the link doesn't tell me who said it.  That YouTube video also plagiarizes the quote without mentioning its source.  The actual source appears to be Eric Dubay, unless he also stole it from somebody else.  It's sad that nobody seems to understand the necessity of giving proper credit anymore.

You are a despicable person Ron Webb.

No I'm not, and neither are you.  You just play one on the Internet. Tongue

Seriously, I just spent a fair amount of time researching your Moon question and responding to it in great detail and (I thought) with a fair amount of restraint.  I'm not asking for gratitude, but you might at least recognize when people are trying to be helpful.

Get God into your life, perhaps that will make you a better human being In Shaa Allah.

No thanks.  As Mr. Dubay said, once you understand that the Earth is just one of quintillions (not just billions) of planets orbiting quintillions of stars, the idea of God (at least in the Abrahamic sense) becomes highly implausible.
IP IP Logged
Abu Loren

Senior  Member

Quote Abu Loren Replybullet Posted: 14 June 2014 at 3:51am

No thanks.  As Mr. Dubay said, once you understand that the Earth is just one of quintillions (not just billions) of planets orbiting quintillions of stars, the idea of God (at least in the Abrahamic sense) becomes highly implausible.

I don't know who Eric Dubay is nor do I care.

With all of your scientific advances (which is not much) you scientific types still haven't found an earth like planet. I 'll tell you the reason why that is. It's because you will never find one because this planet we live is unique. It is the only planet in the Universe with life. This is because it is Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala who sustains life here and when He Wills it will all end.

The earth really is special. In the Qur'an in almost every page you will find the statement " It is He who made the heavens and the earth". By mentioning the earth along with the heavens makes it a really special place.

You can laugh all you want as an unbeliever, but what's your best argument? None.

Find me an earth like planet with water then we can talk.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version