Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

Science & Technology
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : General : Science & Technology
Message Icon Topic: Flat Earth and the Geocentric Universe Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
Reepicheep

Online Status: Offline
Quote Reepicheep Replybullet Posted: 10 June 2014 at 9:40am
Believe it or not, the idea of a flat Earth and/or geocentric Earth seems to be gaining popularity among certain groups of muslims. I have noticed a few threads on various websites in the past year on so.

For example, one forum I check out once in a while can be found at Islamicawakening.com. This is the website used by extreme fanatical Sunni muslims, many of whom support the actions of (for example) Boko Harum in Nigeria and ISIS in Syria and Iraq (ISIS is the group who have executed muslim males for the "crime" of carrying cigarettes, and executed a young girl who was found guilty of adultery because she had a facebook account).

Those of you who are so inclined can check out the following thread:

The Belief of the Sun Orbiting the Earth
IP IP Logged
Abu Loren

Senior  Member

Quote Abu Loren Replybullet Posted: 10 June 2014 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Ron Webb

Originally posted by Abu Loren

I'm sorry but I don't have the time nor the patience to explain endless times the same old story.

The best I can do however is to pray that Allah Subhana Wa Taa'ala guides you to His Truth.

If the best you've got is the "same old story", then it's just as well.

Never mind praying for me, Abu.  Ask your God why He instructed you to clean your hands by rubbing them in dirt, but didn't think to give you a recipe for penicillin.

If I remember correctly I think I called you a waste of space and by looking at your posts I was right. :)
IP IP Logged
Abu Loren

Senior  Member

Quote Abu Loren Replybullet Posted: 10 June 2014 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by Reepicheep

Believe it or not, the idea of a flat Earth and/or geocentric Earth seems to be gaining popularity among certain groups of muslims. I have noticed a few threads on various websites in the past year on so.

For example, one forum I check out once in a while can be found at Islamicawakening.com. This is the website used by extreme fanatical Sunni muslims, many of whom support the actions of (for example) Boko Harum in Nigeria and ISIS in Syria and Iraq (ISIS is the group who have executed muslim males for the "crime" of carrying cigarettes, and executed a young girl who was found guilty of adultery because she had a facebook account).

If one or two Muslims support the actions of fanatics then whole the whole Muslim world supports them?
IP IP Logged
Reepicheep

Quote Reepicheep Replybullet Posted: 10 June 2014 at 12:42pm
Abu Loren wrote: one or two Muslims support the actions of fanatics then whole the whole Muslim world supports them?

Obviously, more than one or two Muslims are involved. ISIS today took control of the city of Mosul and now control virtually all of the Iraqi province of Nineveh. The rout was apparently so bad that many of the retreating members of the Iraqi army and police force abandoned their weapons and uniforms and fled in civilian clothing.

However, none of this is relevant to the point I was making. My point was this:

Consider the following two subsets of muslims:

(1) Muslims who support fanatical Sunni organizations such as ISIS, and

(2) Muslims who believe the Earth is the centre of the universe.

Interestingly, to a very large degree, these two subsets seem to include the same muslims (my theory as to why this is true: fanatical muslims such as members of ISIS insist that every hadith be interpreted literally. Some hadith seem to say that the Earth is the center of the universe. Therefore, fanatical muslims tend to believe in the geocentric model of the universe.)
IP IP Logged
Ron Webb
Male Humanism
Senior  Member

Quote Ron Webb Replybullet Posted: 10 June 2014 at 4:09pm

All I can say is Shocked!
Addeenul ‘Aql – Religion is intellect.
IP IP Logged
TG12345
Male Christian
Senior  Member

Quote TG12345 Replybullet Posted: 10 June 2014 at 7:12pm

Abu Loren wrote: one or two Muslims support the actions of fanatics then whole the whole Muslim world supports them?

Obviously, more than one or two Muslims are involved. ISIS today took control of the city of Mosul and now control virtually all of the Iraqi province of Nineveh. The rout was apparently so bad that many of the retreating members of the Iraqi army and police force abandoned their weapons and uniforms and fled in civilian clothing.

However, none of this is relevant to the point I was making. My point was this:

Consider the following two subsets of muslims:

(1) Muslims who support fanatical Sunni organizations such as ISIS, and

(2) Muslims who believe the Earth is the centre of the universe.

Interestingly, to a very large degree, these two subsets seem to include the same muslims (my theory as to why this is true: fanatical muslims such as members of ISIS insist that every hadith be interpreted literally. Some hadith seem to say that the Earth is the center of the universe. Therefore, fanatical muslims tend to believe in the geocentric model of the universe.)

However, on this forum we see examples of Muslims who believe that the earth is the centre of the universe... and yet they are not extremists who support terrorist groups.

Abu Loren is one such example. He has and continues to speak out against extremism and terrorism in the name of Islam, and I commend him for this. I wish more Christians denounced war and imperialism that is being waged by people who are claiming to be followers of Jesus.

Abu Loren often does act like a jerk and can be very rude and hostile- especially when he loses at a debate- but he does not condone extremist violence.

It isn't fair to associate Muslims who have false notions about the world with Muslims who blow up and torture and kill innocent people. This makes as much sense as associating white kids with school shooters, since most school shooters have been caucasian teenagers.
IP IP Logged
Abu Loren

Senior  Member

Quote Abu Loren Replybullet Posted: 12 June 2014 at 4:35am
Experiments have been performed firing cannons at all cardinal directions to check for earth's rotation. If the earth was really spinning as the Heliocentric model suggests then the East firing cannon ball should fall significantly farther than all others and the West firing cannon ball should fall significantly closer than all others. In actual fact, however, regardless of which direction one fires a cannon North , South, East or West the distance covered is always the same.
By removing Earth from the motionless center of the Universe these dark philosophers ( Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo, Newton, Einstein) have moved us physically and metaphorically from a place of supreme importance to one of complete nihilistic indifference.If the Earth is at the centre of the Universe then idea of God, creation and the purpose of human existence are resplendent. But if the Earth is one of billions of planets revolving around billions of stars in billions of galaxies , then idea of God, creation and a specific purpose of Earth and human existence become highly implausible. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPedhmjjZMw

Edited by Abu Loren - 12 June 2014 at 4:37am
IP IP Logged
airmano

Quote airmano Replybullet Posted: 12 June 2014 at 4:58am
Abu Loren:
By removing Earth from the motionless center of the Universe these dark philosophers ( Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo, Newton, Einstein) have moved us physically and metaphorically from a place of supreme importance to one of complete nihilistic indifference.If the Earth is at the centre of the Universe then idea of God, creation and the purpose of human existence are resplendent. But if the Earth is one of billions of planets revolving around billions of stars in billions of galaxies , then idea of God, creation and a specific purpose of Earth and human existence become highly implausible

Welcome to agnostic Wonderland !

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 12 June 2014 at 7:27am
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version