Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:
         

General Discussion
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: 1948 Creation & Catastrophe Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Author Message
Caringheart
 
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 02 March 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1921
Quote Caringheart Replybullet Posted: 26 February 2014 at 8:12pm
Ilan Pappe

"Intimate and strong friendships with Palestinians and the newly declassified material in the archives
produced my new look at the 1948 war."

Edited by Caringheart - 26 February 2014 at 8:13pm
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
IP IP Logged
iec786
 
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 06 February 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 463
Quote iec786 Replybullet Posted: 26 February 2014 at 10:00pm
“Israeli Apartheid: A Beginner's Guide”
Ben White
IP IP Logged
Reepicheep
 
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 06 November 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 290
Quote Reepicheep Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2014 at 7:44am
Putting aside for the moment the issue of "who did what to who" during the 1948 Israel Arab war, there's a related matter that I find both fascinating and depressing.

Total deaths during the 1948 war were around 14,000, half Jewish and half Arab. The total number of displaced Arabs was around 725,000.

Let's compare this to the war currently raging in Syria. Approximately 140,000 people (the vast majority Muslim) have died in this war. Over 2.5 million Syrians have taken refuge in neighbouring countries, and an additional 6.5 million Syrians are displaced within Syria, out of a total Syrian population of around 23 million people.

By any standard, the consequences of the Syrian war are far worse than the consequences of the 1948 war. Also, the 1948 war was over sixty years ago, while the Syrian war is ongoing. There is nothing modern day muslims can do to change the result of the 1948 war, but there is a lot they could do to help the people of Syria.

The paradox is that, while modern day muslims continue to obsess over the events of sixty years ago, they seem to have little concern or compassion for the people currently suffering in Syria.

The question is: why???
IP IP Logged
abuayisha
 
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 05 October 1999
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4298
Quote abuayisha Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2014 at 10:03am
So the equivocation continues unabated. Certainly there is nothing we can do about 1948, save accept historical facts, but where is the "concern" and "compassion" for what is taking place today inside Israel? I would think decency would dictate compassion for all human suffering, and why you would suggest otherwise is troubling, but understandable. Us against the "other" mentality.

Edited by abuayisha - 27 February 2014 at 10:05am
IP IP Logged
Reepicheep
 
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 06 November 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 290
Quote Reepicheep Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2014 at 11:41am
Abuayisha wrote: ...what is taking place today inside Israel?

I'm not sure what you are referring to. Things have been fairly quiet in Israel in recent years. Off hand, I can't think of any problems within Israel which are significantly worse than the normal problems other countries of the world have. Israel is certainly calmer than their surrounding neighbours such as Egypt, Lebanon, Gaza, Syria, and the West Bank.

Can you be more specific?
IP IP Logged
abuayisha
 
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 05 October 1999
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4298
Quote abuayisha Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2014 at 1:13pm
Listen, let's just say, that friends shouldn't allow friends to drive drunk. Those who are really concerned for the State of Israel should be not be afraid to advise and hold them accountable. And I think people of conscious are indeed beginning to sanction, boycott and divest in order to save the Israelis from their own reckless behavior.
IP IP Logged
Caringheart
 
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 02 March 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1921
Quote Caringheart Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2014 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by abuayisha

Listen, let's just say, that friends shouldn't allow friends to drive drunk.

That sounds so very american. Wink

Originally posted by abuayisha

And I think people of conscious are indeed beginning to sanction, boycott and divest in order to save the Israelis from their own reckless behavior.

I think I agree with you.
But I do believe they need allies to defend against those who would make their existence impossible...
they just need to be held accountable to good high standards.


Edited by Caringheart - 27 February 2014 at 2:59pm
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
IP IP Logged
islamispeace
 Islam
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 01 November 2005
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1798
Quote islamispeace Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2014 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Reepicheep

Putting aside for the moment the issue of "who did what to who" during the 1948 Israel Arab war, there's a related matter that I find both fascinating and depressing.

Total deaths during the 1948 war were around 14,000, half Jewish and half Arab. The total number of displaced Arabs was around 725,000.

Let's compare this to the war currently raging in Syria. Approximately 140,000 people (the vast majority Muslim) have died in this war. Over 2.5 million Syrians have taken refuge in neighbouring countries, and an additional 6.5 million Syrians are displaced within Syria, out of a total Syrian population of around 23 million people.

By any standard, the consequences of the Syrian war are far worse than the consequences of the 1948 war. Also, the 1948 war was over sixty years ago, while the Syrian war is ongoing. There is nothing modern day muslims can do to change the result of the 1948 war, but there is a lot they could do to help the people of Syria.

The paradox is that, while modern day muslims continue to obsess over the events of sixty years ago, they seem to have little concern or compassion for the people currently suffering in Syria.

The question is: why???


So instead of sticking to the topic and admitting that you said something incredibly dumb and inaccurate about the ethnic cleansing of Palestine, you decide to change the topic and rant about something completely unrelated.  Bravo.

By the way, your comments about Muslim concern for Syria is also dumb and inaccurate.  Many Muslims have been doing what they can to help our brothers and sisters in Syria.  Some have donated.  Others have gone into Syria, putting themselves at risk, to deliver much needed aid.  So, do everyone a favor and don't open your mouth when you have no idea what you are talking about. 

You say that the 1948 war was over 60 years ago.  Good, at least you can count!  But what's your point?  Just because it was in the past, we should forget about it even if the consequences are still affecting millions of refugees?  You know, the Holocaust was also more than 60 years ago.  Should we forget about that too?  You know, don't live in the past, look to the future? 


Edited by islamispeace - 27 February 2014 at 3:29pm
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed herein contain positions and viewpoints that are not necessarily those of IslamiCity. This forum is offered to stimulate dialogue and discussion in our continuing mission of being an educational organization.
If there is any issue with any of the postings please email to icforum at islamicity.com or if you are a forum's member you can use the report button.

Note: The 99 names of Allah avatars are courtesy of www.arthafez.com

Advertisement:



Sponsored by:
Islamicity Membership Program:
IslamiCity Donation Program  http://www.islamicity.com/Donate
IslamiCity Arabic eLearning http://www.islamiCity.com/ArabAcademy
Complete Domain & Hosting Solutions www.icDomain.com
Home for Muslim Tunes www.icTunes.com
Islamic Video Collections www.islamiTV.com
IslamiCity Marriage Site www.icMarriage.com