Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

Science & Technology
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : General : Science & Technology
Message Icon Topic: Question about 25:53 and 55:19,20 Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
TG12345
Male Christian
Senior  Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote TG12345 Replybullet Topic: Question about 25:53 and 55:19,20
    Posted: 02 August 2013 at 7:57am

Assalamu Alaikum,

I was wondering if Muslims could explain what these 2 verses from the Quran are referring to.

25:53

And it is He Who has let free the two seas (kinds of water)*, one palatable and sweet, and the other salt and bitter, and He has set a barrier and a complete partition between them.

55:19,20

He released the two seas, meeting [side by side];

Between them is a barrier [so] neither of them transgresses.

*The words in brackets are not in the Quran but is the translator’s insertion, as can be seen from http://corpus.quran.com/wordbyword.jsp?chapter=25&verse=53

Where in the world are there two bodies of water that meet, one being salty and one being sweet, but between which is a barrier that is “forbidden” (according to CorpusQuran, that is the word, not “complete”) to be passed?

Shukran wa Allahma3k

Edited by TG12345 - 02 August 2013 at 7:58am
IP IP Logged
Caringheart

Senior  Member

Quote Caringheart Replybullet Posted: 02 August 2013 at 9:37pm
Hi TG,
I recently watched something about this... wish I could remember when or where...
Anyway, apparently it refers to the atmosphere which divides the 'waters above', i.e., blue skies, or 'the heavens', outer space... from the 'waters below', i.e., the earth with its waters.

Edited by Caringheart - 02 August 2013 at 9:39pm
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
IP IP Logged
Ron Webb
Male Humanism
Senior  Member

Quote Ron Webb Replybullet Posted: 03 August 2013 at 5:44am

Originally posted by TG12345

Where in the world are there two bodies of water that meet, one being salty and one being sweet, but between which is a barrier that is “forbidden” (according to CorpusQuran, that is the word, not “complete”) to be passed?

A footnote in Yusuf Ali's translation implies that the barrier is metaphorical, not physical.  The point is that fresh and salt water are constantly mingling (where the rivers flow into the ocean), so one might expect that over time they would have completely mixed; yet Allah has magically kept them distinct.  (Of course we now know that no magic is involved.)

Addeenul ‘Aql – Religion is intellect.
IP IP Logged
Ron Webb
Male Humanism
Senior  Member

Quote Ron Webb Replybullet Posted: 03 August 2013 at 5:51am
Originally posted by Caringheart

I recently watched something about this... wish I could remember when or where...
Anyway, apparently it refers to the atmosphere which divides the 'waters above', i.e., blue skies, or 'the heavens', outer space... from the 'waters below', i.e., the earth with its waters.

Smile You read it in the Bible, Genesis 1:6-7: "And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.  And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so."  (Of course, we now know there is no firmament and no "waters above".)
IP IP Logged
Caringheart

Senior  Member

Quote Caringheart Replybullet Posted: 03 August 2013 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Ron Webb

Originally posted by Caringheart

Smile You read it in the Bible, Genesis 1:6-7: "And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.  And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so."  (Of course, we now know there is no firmament and no "waters above".)

Greetings Ron,

But this was the very thing that the program was talking about... It was talking about what would happen if there was no atmosphere.
I wish my memory was better so I could share the details.  It was very intriguing.
Blessed be God forever
IP IP Logged
NABA
Male Islam
Senior  Member

Quote NABA Replybullet Posted: 06 August 2013 at 7:53am
in the book of oceanography Davis pg 92-93-It is been found that in estuaries there is a barrier between salt and sweet water,the point which distinguish fresh water from salt water is the pycnoclinic zone with its discontinuity,different temperature and this is also known as zone of seperation.truly Allah says Qur'an is for those who understand(ch 13 v 3-4)
IP IP Logged
Caringheart

Senior  Member

Quote Caringheart Replybullet Posted: 06 August 2013 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by NABA

in the book of oceanography Davis pg 92-93-It is been found that in estuaries there is a barrier between salt and sweet water,the point which distinguish fresh water from salt water is the pycnoclinic zone with its discontinuity,different temperature and this is also known as zone of seperation.truly Allah says Qur'an is for those who understand(ch 13 v 3-4)

Greetings NABA,

From when I studied... I did not learn of any separation of salt water from fresh water.  The point where they come together and mix is known as brackish water.

Salaam,
Caringheart
Blessed be God forever
IP IP Logged
Ron Webb
Male Humanism
Senior  Member

Quote Ron Webb Replybullet Posted: 06 August 2013 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by NABA

A pycnoclinic zone is not a barrier.  According to Wikipedia ( the source of all knowledgeWink), the pycnocline is "the cline or layer where the density gradient is greatest within a body of water."  In other words, it's just the transition region where salt and fresh water mix.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version