Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:
         

World Politics
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : Politics : World Politics
Message Icon Topic: Egypt Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 8 Next >>
Author Message
Ron Webb
Male Humanism
Senior Member
Senior  Member


Joined: 30 January 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1496
Quote Ron Webb Replybullet Posted: 26 July 2013 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Caringheart

Well currently about half the population in the United States disapproves of their current president.  What if that number increased to 90% and people turned out in the streets saying that they wanted him removed?
 
Then unless there are grounds for impeachment, according to the US Constitution, he would be gone.  In 2016.
 
You do uphold the Constitution, don't you?
Addeenul ‘Aql – Religion is intellect.
IP IP Logged
Caringheart
 
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 02 March 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1636
Quote Caringheart Replybullet Posted: 26 July 2013 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb

Originally posted by Caringheart

Well currently about half the population in the United States disapproves of their current president.  What if that number increased to 90% and people turned out in the streets saying that they wanted him removed?
 
Then unless there are grounds for impeachment, according to the US Constitution, he would be gone.  In 2016.
 
You do uphold the Constitution, don't you?

I just wonder...
Do you think that's how it would go...
if the country was dissolving into chaos and violence?

I mean, up until now the United States has remained civilized...
the whole united we stand, divided we fall thing...
allowing due process to take its course...
but what if the country became terribly divided?

How do you think the civil war happened?

Do you really think the country could not become so divided as to erupt in violence as other countries have done?
There has been much violence in the past of the United States too...
there is nothing to say that could not come around again.
In fact I tend to see it as not far off if the people there are not careful, and become unable to act intelligently.


Edited by Caringheart - 26 July 2013 at 9:28pm
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
IP IP Logged
Ron Webb
Male Humanism
Senior Member
Senior  Member


Joined: 30 January 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1496
Quote Ron Webb Replybullet Posted: 27 July 2013 at 3:48pm

Originally posted by Caringheart

I just wonder...
Do you think that's how it would go...
if the country was dissolving into chaos and violence?

Well, I guess we've switched roles now, with you talking about the world as it is (or might be), while I talk about how it ought to be. Smile

Honestly, I don't see the US devolving into chaos anytime soon.  If it does, it will not be because a majority are opposed to the incumbent government.  If they had a clear majority, they could be confident of defeating the government in the next election and would be far better off just waiting a couple of years.

No, in a mature democracy such as the US, it would only be a radical minority that would attempt to seize power by force, because they know it would be their only option.

IMHO that in itself suggests to me that the Morsi opposition does not represent a majority of Egyptians.  If they did, then why did they elect Morsi in the first place?  And why not just vote him out at the next election?

How do you think the civil war happened?

The American civil war is not analogous to the Egyptian situation.  The Confederate states were trying to secede from the Union, not to take control of it.  Apparently they had no democratic option to accomplish that.  (Which seems like a flaw in the Constitution, by the way, but that's another topic.)

Addeenul ‘Aql – Religion is intellect.
IP IP Logged
Caringheart
 
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 02 March 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1636
Quote Caringheart Replybullet Posted: 27 July 2013 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb

Well, I guess we've switched roles now, with you talking about the world as it is (or might be), while I talk about how it ought to be. Smile

LOL

Originally posted by Ron Webb

Honestly, I don't see the US devolving into chaos anytime soon.  If it does, it will not be because a majority are opposed to the incumbent government.  If they had a clear majority, they could be confident of defeating the government in the next election and would be far better off just waiting a couple of years.

No, in a mature democracy such as the US, it would only be a radical minority that would attempt to seize power by force, because they know it would be their only option.

IMHO that in itself suggests to me that the Morsi opposition does not represent a majority of Egyptians.  If they did, then why did they elect Morsi in the first place?  And why not just vote him out at the next election?



Ok, so here's how I see this... considering we are talking about the middle east and how things have gone in the past...
and not that it couldn't happen this way even in the United States, or any country for that matter...

Let's say that you elected what you thought was a democratic leader and then you find that leader turning into a dictator, a tyrant... not what you thought you were electing... think Hitler...
(for that matter I see Obama in the U.S. skating near to this himself with the way he has conducted things while he is in office)

Would you want to take the chance that in a few years there would even be another election?

People who want to gain total control, given a position of authority, can manage to gain that total control if people are not watching carefully, if they are not paying attention.

Can you see what I mean?


Edited by Caringheart - 27 July 2013 at 4:23pm
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
IP IP Logged
TG12345
Male Christian
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 16 December 2012
Online Status: Online
Posts: 588
Quote TG12345 Replybullet Posted: 29 July 2013 at 6:29am
I am encouraging people to write to their governments to demand an end to all military aid to Egypt, while protesters are being massacred by the army.

A sample letter as well as contact information can be found here:
http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25745

Please consider advocating for an end to the bloodshed and mass murder that is taking place.
IP IP Logged
Ron Webb
Male Humanism
Senior Member
Senior  Member


Joined: 30 January 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1496
Quote Ron Webb Replybullet Posted: 29 July 2013 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Caringheart

Would you want to take the chance that in a few years there would even be another election?
Well, that's a good question, and one I've been trying to answer for weeks now.  Is there any evidence that Morsi was considering cancelling elections?
Addeenul ‘Aql – Religion is intellect.
IP IP Logged
Caringheart
 
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 02 March 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1636
Quote Caringheart Replybullet Posted: 29 July 2013 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb

Originally posted by Caringheart

Would you want to take the chance that in a few years there would even be another election?
Well, that's a good question, and one I've been trying to answer for weeks now.  Is there any evidence that Morsi was considering cancelling elections?

Hi Ron,
I don't know, I haven't been following that closely, but I believe he was displaying those dictatorial qualities that the Egyptians were trying to rid themselves of when they elected him.  That would cause fear to rise in me, so surely it does in them.
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
IP IP Logged
Ron Webb
Male Humanism
Senior Member
Senior  Member


Joined: 30 January 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1496
Quote Ron Webb Replybullet Posted: 30 July 2013 at 7:26pm

Originally posted by Caringheart

I don't know, I haven't been following that closely, but I believe he was displaying those dictatorial qualities that the Egyptians were trying to rid themselves of when they elected him.

Actually, Mubarak (his predecessor) was a relative moderate, opposed to Islamic fundamentalism and seen by many as "soft" on Israel.  He was also too cozy with the US for many hard-liners.

That would cause fear to rise in me, so surely it does in them.

Be careful of projecting your own attitudes on the people of a very different culture.  You don't think it possible that a majority of Egyptian Muslims might actually want an Islamic dictatorship?

Addeenul ‘Aql – Religion is intellect.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 8 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed herein contain positions and viewpoints that are not necessarily those of IslamiCity. This forum is offered to stimulate dialogue and discussion in our continuing mission of being an educational organization.
If there is any issue with any of the postings please email to icforum at islamicity.com or if you are a forum's member you can use the report button.

Note: The 99 names of Allah avatars are courtesy of www.arthafez.com

Advertisement:



Sponsored by:
Islamicity Membership Program:
IslamiCity Donation Program  http://www.islamicity.com/Donate
IslamiCity Arabic eLearning http://www.islamiCity.com/ArabAcademy
Complete Domain & Hosting Solutions www.icDomain.com
Home for Muslim Tunes www.icTunes.com
Islamic Video Collections www.islamiTV.com
IslamiCity Marriage Site www.icMarriage.com