Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

General Discussion
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Alcohol and Cancer Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
Reepicheep

Online Status: Offline
Quote Reepicheep Replybullet Posted: 25 February 2013 at 8:36am
I come from German Lutheran stock, which means I like drinking strong coffee and I like drinking strong beer.

The bible can easily be used to support the argument that we shouldn't get drunk.  But it can't be used to argue that alcohol should be avoided totally.  After all, Jesus did change water into wine, and He instituted Communion which has wine as a key element.

Moderation, not total abstinence, is the message I get from the bible.

(EDIT: there is a cartoon on the wall by our church coffee maker, which has Martin Luther saying: "For Lutheran coffee, use five scoops.  For lesser coffee, use four scoops.")

Edited by Reepicheep - 26 February 2013 at 2:32pm
IP IP Logged
Caringheart

Senior  Member

Quote Caringheart Replybullet Posted: 25 February 2013 at 12:46pm
I understand both W.S. and Reepicheap.

Some are better at handling temptation than others.  The safest way, however, of remaining on a straight course, is to not put yourself in the way of temptation.

The safest path is going by what it says in the Bible about avoiding the temptations of the world's ways, by 'avoiding even the appearance of evil'... by staying away from things that can make you weak in your walk with God.

Can you imagine how much better the world could be if everyone knew how to stay away from temptation?

But then I do tend to be an idealist. Smile
I know none of this will happen until Christ returns and sets the world free from evil.

Salaam to all.

Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
IP IP Logged
Matt Browne
Male Christian
Senior  Member

Quote Matt Browne Replybullet Posted: 10 March 2013 at 8:28am
Yes, there is indeed a risk. But the risk is extremely small when you drink alcohol in moderation. Smoking hookahs (shishas), which is very popular in the Muslim world, is far more dangerous when it comes to cancer and harming blood vessels.

Edited by Matt Browne - 10 March 2013 at 8:28am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version