Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

Interfaith Dialogue
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : Religion - Islam : Interfaith Dialogue
Message Icon Topic: JESUS; I AM A MAN Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Experiential

Guest Group
Guest Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote Experiential Replybullet Posted: 06 April 2013 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Mahdi The Seeke

PSALMS, CHAPTER 110 A psalm of David. The LORD says to my lord: “Sit at my right hand, while I make your enemies your footstool.” The scepter of your might: the LORD extends your strong scepter from Zion. Have dominion over your enemies! Yours is princely power from the day of your birth. In holy splendor before the daystar, like dew I begot you. The LORD has sworn and will not waver: “You are a priest forever in the manner of Melchizedek.” At your right hand is the Lord, who crushes kings on the day of his wrath, Who judges nations, heaps up corpses, crushes heads across the wide earth, Who drinks from the brook by the wayside and thus holds high his head. * [Psalm 110> A royal Psalm in which a court singer recites three oracles in which God assures the king that his enemies are conquered (Ps 110:1–2), makes the king “son” in traditional adoption language (Ps 110:3), gives priestly status to the king and promises to be with him in future military ventures (Ps 110:4–7).

Psalm 110 is about David.

Then why would David say The LORD says to my lord ?

Also David was not even a priest in the manner of Levi (who was the ancestor of the Jewish priesthood) let a lone a priest in manner of Melchizedek

IP IP Logged
Experiential

Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote Experiential Replybullet Posted: 06 April 2013 at 8:10pm

About Isaiah 52 and 53, whatever is in past tense cannot be taken as prophecy.

You don’t understand how prophetic utterances work.

In Hebrew when something was absolutely going to happen in the future, it is often spoken of as if it had already occurred in the past.

Hebrew scholars are familiar with this idiom and refer to it as “the prophetic perfect,” “the historic sense of prophecy,” and the “perfective of confidence.”

A couple of other examples are -

In Genesis 6, God told Noah to build the ark. After telling him how to build it, the Hebrew text reads that God said, “And you have come into the ark.” The ark was not even built at that time.

The prophetic perfect in Genesis 6:18 makes it clear that Noah would absolutely enter the ark.

In Numbers 21:34. When Israel was coming out of the wilderness, Og, the king of Bashan, and his army came out to fight them. God wanted to assure Moses that Israel would win the battle, so He said, “Do not be afraid of him, for I have handed him over to you”.

IP IP Logged
Mahdi The Seeke
Male 

Quote Mahdi The Seeke Replybullet Posted: 07 April 2013 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Experiential

PSALMS, CHAPTER 110 A psalm of David. The LORD says to my lord: “Sit at my right hand, while I make your enemies your footstool.” The scepter of your might: the LORD extends your strong scepter from Zion. Have dominion over your enemies! Yours is princely power from the day of your birth. In holy splendor before the daystar, like dew I begot you. The LORD has sworn and will not waver: “You are a priest forever in the manner of Melchizedek.” At your right hand is the Lord, who crushes kings on the day of his wrath, Who judges nations, heaps up corpses, crushes heads across the wide earth, Who drinks from the brook by the wayside and thus holds high his head. * [Psalm 110> A royal Psalm in which a court singer recites three oracles in which God assures the king that his enemies are conquered (Ps 110:1–2), makes the king “son” in traditional adoption language (Ps 110:3), gives priestly status to the king and promises to be with him in future military ventures (Ps 110:4–7). Psalm 110 is about David.

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" =Msonormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">Then why would David say The LORD says to my lord ?

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" =Msonormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">Also David was not even a priest in the manner of Levi (who was the ancestor of the Jewish priesthood) let a lone a priest in manner of Melchizedek

Did you read the footnote?

Edited by Mahdi The Seeke - 07 April 2013 at 10:12am
IP IP Logged
Mahdi The Seeke
Male 

Quote Mahdi The Seeke Replybullet Posted: 07 April 2013 at 10:14am

About Isaiah 52 and 53, whatever is in past tense cannot be taken as prophecy.

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" =Msonormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">You don’t understand how prophetic utterances work.

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" =Msonormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">In Hebrew when something was absolutely going to happen in the future, it is often spoken of as if it had already occurred in the past.

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" =Msonormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">Hebrew scholars are familiar with this idiom and refer to it as “the prophetic perfect,” “the historic sense of prophecy,” and the “perfective of confidence.”

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" =Msonormal><?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman"> </o:p>

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" =Msonormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">A couple of other examples are -

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" =Msonormal><o:p><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman"> </o:p>

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" =Msonormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">In Genesis 6, God told Noah to build the ark. After telling him how to build it, the Hebrew text reads that God said, “And you have come into the ark.” The ark was not even built at that time.

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" =Msonormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">The prophetic perfect in Genesis 6:18 makes it clear that Noah would absolutely enter the ark.

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" =Msonormal><o:p><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman"> </o:p>

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" =Msonormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">In Numbers 21:34. When <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on">Israel</st1:country-region> was coming out of the wilderness, Og, the king of <st1:place w:st="on">Bashan</st1:place>, and his army came out to fight them. God wanted to assure Moses that <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Israel</st1:place></st1:country-region> would win the battle, so He said, “Do not be afraid of him, for I have handed him over to you”.

past tense is past tense.
IP IP Logged
Experiential

Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote Experiential Replybullet Posted: 09 April 2013 at 10:17pm

Mahdi Said

Did you read the footnote?

My Reply

Im not interested in footnotes. Im interested in what the scriptures have to say.

Mahdi Said

past tense is past tense.

My Reply

Timeless prophetic utterance is timeless prophetic utterance.

Edited by Experiential - 09 April 2013 at 10:17pm
IP IP Logged
Mahdi The Seeke
Male 

Quote Mahdi The Seeke Replybullet Posted: 13 April 2013 at 3:48am

PSALMS, CHAPTER 110 A psalm of David. The LORD says to my lord: “Sit at my right hand, while I make your enemies your footstool.” The scepter of your might: the LORD extends your strong scepter from Zion. Have dominion over your enemies! Yours is princely power from the day of your birth. In holy splendor before the daystar, like dew I begot you. The LORD has sworn and will not waver: “You are a priest forever in the manner of Melchizedek.” At your right hand is the Lord, who crushes kings on the day of his wrath, Who judges nations, heaps up corpses, crushes heads across the wide earth, Who drinks from the brook by the wayside and thus holds high his head. * [Psalm 110> A royal Psalm in which a court singer recites three oracles in which God assures the king that his enemies are conquered (Ps 110:1–2), makes the king “son” in traditional adoption language (Ps 110:3), gives priestly status to the king and promises to be with him in future military ventures (Ps 110:4–7). Psalm 110 is about David.

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" =Msonormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">Then why would David say The LORD says to my lord ?

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" =Msonormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">Also David was not even a priest in the manner of Levi (who was the ancestor of the Jewish priesthood) let a lone a priest in manner of Melchizedek

the firt LORD is God and the second David. This Psalm was not recited by David but by somebody else about David. God made David a priest in order of Melchizedek, who says being a levite is a requirement.
IP IP Logged
Mahdi The Seeke
Male 

Quote Mahdi The Seeke Replybullet Posted: 13 April 2013 at 3:54am
psalm 110 is a royal psalm, if you know what that is. Get more information about the Psalms before you reply.
IP IP Logged
Mahdi The Seeke
Male 

Quote Mahdi The Seeke Replybullet Posted: 13 April 2013 at 4:28am
funny how you have to invent 'prophetic' tense to make the Bible make sense.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version