Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

Interfaith Dialogue
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : Religion - Islam : Interfaith Dialogue
Message Icon Topic: Do Christians follow any dietary Laws? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 11 Next >>
honeto

Senior  Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote honeto Replybullet Topic: Do Christians follow any dietary Laws?
    Posted: 25 December 2012 at 7:44am
The Quran says it is OK for a Muslim to eat the food of the people of the book, Christians and Jews. Jews follow a dietary law, and the food that is prepared according to that law is Ok for a Muslim to eat. I do not see any Christians following the dietary law mentioned in their book. I know if a food prepared by them without following the dietary law is not OK for a Muslim. Why do Christians do not follow the law? if you say you do , which one?
Hasan
39:64 Proclaim: Is it some one other than God that you order me to worship, O you ignorant ones?"
IP IP Logged
Abu Loren
Male Islam
Senior  Member

Quote Abu Loren Replybullet Posted: 26 December 2012 at 2:28am
Originally posted by honeto

The Quran says it is OK for a Muslim to eat the food of the people of the book, Christians and Jews. Jews follow a dietary law, and the food that is prepared according to that law is Ok for a Muslim to eat. I do not see any Christians following the dietary law mentioned in their book. I know if a food prepared by them without following the dietary law is not OK for a Muslim. Why do Christians do not follow the law? if you say you do , which one?
Hasan
The answer is no they don't. Their favourite foods are bacon, ham, pork chops etc
IP IP Logged
Webber

Quote Webber Replybullet Posted: 27 December 2012 at 8:41pm
Lol, new to the site, this caught my eye.

A real Christian should know you follow certain dietary laws and descreetly hide the bacon, ham, and pork chops under the mashed potatos.

Actually, Christians who know anything about Christianity do have dietary laws. These laws were outlined by Paul as he was the one ministered to Gentiles, and most Christians you know are probably Gentiles.

What's interesting is that Halal is not always legal in NA.

IP IP Logged
Rational

Quote Rational Replybullet Posted: 28 December 2012 at 4:14am
They do but they don't care. Pig is forbidden for them just like it is for muslims but they don't like talking about it. I know because my wifes father is christain and he himself told me that he knows its forbidden for them but yet it's fine with them, suggesting that they don't follow or care about thier own faith (though i must admit he doesnt like it, but his wife does). Same with alchahol, it's forbidden for them. They don't care because thier books have been corrupted.

May Allah guide all of us.

Edited by Rational - 28 December 2012 at 4:19am
IP IP Logged
honeto

Senior  Member

Quote honeto Replybullet Posted: 28 December 2012 at 6:32pm
Webber,
Can you point out verses that show commandments or laws outlining dietary laws God revealed to Paul.
Did God sent any dietary laws through Jesus?
Hasan
39:64 Proclaim: Is it some one other than God that you order me to worship, O you ignorant ones?"
IP IP Logged
Webber

Quote Webber Replybullet Posted: 30 December 2012 at 12:02am

Hi Rational, If your father-in-law was the only Christian, or the only type of Christian I might agree with you. Actually I know many that are like that. Same people don't usually know why pork was forbidden or if it still is.

As for alcohol, well, as long as you can get kosher wine we know it was never forbidden for the Jews. It was very common place during the time of Jesus and Jesus warned about the abuses, but never said don't. The alcohol ban was a Muhammad thing although you'll find most pious Christians do not drink.

Hi Honeto,
I don't recall Jesus ever talking about dietary laws. That wasn't "the law" He was concerned with. He also cared less about the laws made by the scribes and pharisees which challenged Him in Matthew 15 about the disciples not washing before eating bread. They called it "tradition of the elders" Jesus called them on their wishy wash everything habits, then turned to the crowd and said Hear, and understand: Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man. In those days bread was used two ways. It was a staple food, and it was also used as a napkin that was thrown to the dogs.

It was Peter that came to Jesus and said, "can you explain that?" Jesus does in verses 15 thru 20.
Now I don't see anything in there about eating a pig, but in His explanation it would/could be understood as a possibility if the reasoning behind pork was a health issue.

I doubt Jesus ever ate pork just for the likely reason it was no doubt forbidden to sell in the Jewish markets. The same with the rest of the unclean list, and whatever offered to idols.
Gentiles from the surrounding areas never knew what the big deal was with pork and no history on it so why not eat it. Besides, the Jews got all the sheep.
My Uncle had a farm with an assortment of animals including pigs. They don't play in their poop. They roll in mud in the heat of the day, scratch it off later.
I have a meat plant inspector friend who can tell you lots more about how pork is the "right" meat. He also explained to me once how certain byproducts can become kosher, but that's getting away from the subject.

Another story Christians use.
Peter, the disciple who asked Jesus for expansion on the what defiles what story gets a vision from the heavens. A sheet descends full of all forms of common and unclean animals and creaping things, etc. starts in Acts 10:10.
He hears a voice say Peter, kill and eat. Peter says No way, I never eat the common nor unclean, the voice says,  What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
Anyway, Peters lesson was not about eating a pig, it was to prepare him for the calling of Cornelius. Jews weren't into Italians so Peter would have been reluctant if not for the vision.

As for Paul.
Pauls lists are scattered between letters. They are the basic, don't eat blood, strangled, offered to idols, etc. but this was for gentiles, which are not under any Jewish laws to start, so how do you tell them the food they grew up on, abundant in the field are to be left alone. Gentiles flooding the Jewish markets from now on? Not likely to work out well. He was making Christians out of them, not Jews.

Sorry, not sure if I answered your question.

IP IP Logged
Rational

Quote Rational Replybullet Posted: 31 December 2012 at 4:00am
Originally posted by Webber

Hi Rational, If your father-in-law was the only Christian, or the only type of Christian I might agree with you. Actually I know many that are like that. Same people don't usually know why pork was forbidden or if it still is.

Hi Webber, do you eat pig?

Edited by Rational - 31 December 2012 at 4:14am
IP IP Logged
Webber

Quote Webber Replybullet Posted: 31 December 2012 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Rational

Hi Webber, do you eat pig?

The short answer would have to be yes.

I was brought up with pork being the other red meat. As a kid I prefered pork over beef any time. Over the years that has changed though and pork is not normally part of my diet. The only time I'd eat pork now is if it was offered by the host.

I wouldn't make a scene, insult the cook, nor go hungry.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 11 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version