Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

Current Events
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : Politics : Current Events
Message Icon Topic: Will Israel never stop? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 13 Next >>
Caringheart

Senior  Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote Caringheart Replybullet Posted: 22 November 2012 at 6:47pm
six day war
in the run up to the Six-Day War, Israel’s existence seemed to hang in the balance. As the armies of Egypt, Syria and Jordan openly prepared for battle against Israel, and Arab leaders and the Arab "street" called for its destruction, Israel faced frightful choices.

The tensions continued to mount while Israel’s Prime Minister Levy Eshkol insisted, even as more and more Arab troops massed on the borders, that diplomatic attempts to resolve the crisis be exhausted before Israel would consider military action.

This was the nature of the Arab-Israeli conflict before the Six-Day War, or in other words, before Israel ever occupied the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Often, in current discussions about the Middle East, Israel’s occupation is mischaracterized as the primary, if not the sole, cause of the conflict rather than an effect of it. Many journalists, unfamiliar with the relevant facts and context, and mistakenly believing that the starting point of Mideast tensions is the "occupation," may present flawed accounts that suggest the resolution of the tension can be achieved more or less simply by ending Israel's presence in the territories. This ahistorical description is found all too often in the U.S. media, but even more pervasively in the European setting.

The Six-Day War — the third major Arab-Israeli conflict — was in a sense a continuation of the first two wars. Broadly speaking, the causes of the fighting in 1967 overlapped with the causes of fighting in 1948 (Arab rejection of Israel) and 1956 (continued rejectionism and an Egyptian blockade of shipping to Israel). See here for more.

Specifically, the war stemmed from Egypt's decision to expel United Nations troops from the Sinai peninsula and blockade Israel's port of Eilat, under international law a casus belli, or act of war, in addition to belligerent Arab threats to destroy Israel.
Much more here:
http://www.sixdaywar.org/precursors.asp

Today is just more continuation of the same.
It must be acknowledged that all people have the right to exist in equality with one another.  Unless and until that can happen there will be no peace.

It is of interest to note that the Israeli's too have had to live and deal with blockades.  Was there any outcry about that when it was happening to them?  They've dealt with exile, and with being refugees in the world.  Let's look at how differently they dealt with their circumstances, their fate, their predicament.
Look at how well Iran right now, is dealing, and coping with, its situation.  It is being maleable, exerting their efforts in adjusting and innovating, to the hardships they have found themselves under.

Edited by Caringheart - 23 November 2012 at 11:48am
IP IP Logged
Ron Webb
Male Humanism
Senior  Member

Online Status: Online
Quote Ron Webb Replybullet Posted: 22 November 2012 at 7:40pm
This is very simple.  The Gaza Strip, the West Bank and the Golan Heights did not belong to Israel.  They were always intended to be Arab, according to the original UN Partition Plan.  Israel took them by force, and refused to give them back despite repeated UN Resolutions demanding that they do so.

All that other stuff you mentioned is true.  Like I keep saying, there is plenty of blame to go around here, and I'm not by any means suggesting that the Palestinians are entirely innocent victims.  But Israel stole the occupied territories.  That is a fact, and no amount of whinging about Arab aggression can change it.
Addeenul ‘Aql – Religion is intellect.
IP IP Logged
Ron Webb
Male Humanism
Senior  Member

Online Status: Online
Quote Ron Webb Replybullet Posted: 22 November 2012 at 7:51pm

Originally posted by Caringheart

But, how did any civilization begin?  How did any civilization build itself?  Bricks are made of sand and straw, or mud and clay.  People have been living in the land of Palestine a very long time.  How have they done it in the past?

Yes, civilization built itself up from sand and straw.  And it took thousands of years.  Pardon me if I don't think that's a reasonable suggestion.  Pardon the Palestinians if they are not content to be pushed back into the Stone Age.

Now as to my answer to your question... I guess there is no answer, we will have to wait and see.

Of course there is an answer, and I think you know very well what it is.  Every act of aggression on one side leads to new acts of aggression from the other side.  You see that plainly when Palestinians attack Iraelis.  Why can you not see it (or admit it) when Israelis attack Palestinians?

Addeenul ‘Aql – Religion is intellect.
IP IP Logged
Shaik Speare

Quote Shaik Speare Replybullet Posted: 23 November 2012 at 6:09am
After all the death and destruction, back to status quo.
IP IP Logged
Shaik Speare

Quote Shaik Speare Replybullet Posted: 23 November 2012 at 11:18am

Originally posted by Blake

Unfortunately there is a one way bais in news reporting and it is actually hurting the Palestinians in the end of it all.
I am in agreement with Blake.What we are saying is that the reporting on both sides must be done, not just the one side.  Israel has been under constant attack for a very extended period of time before they retaliated... but during all that time it was not at all being reported in the general media, so it makes this retaliation seem unjustified.  Why do we only hear about the attacks on Gaza and not the attacks on Israel that they live with every day?  People are being wounded regularly in Israel also.
Yes, the restraint shown by Israel before they needed to react is extraordinary. If the mainstream media cared to report unbiased, we would have known that since the end of operation cast lead and upto october 2012 - just 271 Gazans were killed by the IDF and in self defense, while the Gazans genocided a whopping ZERO Israelis!   
IP IP Logged
Caringheart

Senior  Member

Quote Caringheart Replybullet Posted: 23 November 2012 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Ron Webb

Yes, civilization built itself up from sand and straw.  And it took thousands of years.  Pardon me if I don't think that's a reasonable suggestion.  Pardon the Palestinians if they are not content to be pushed back into the Stone Age.

Others have done it... have had to do it.  How do you think America was settled?  How about Australia?

Of course there is an answer, and I think you know very well what it is.  Every act of aggression on one side leads to new acts of aggression from the other side.  You see that plainly when Palestinians attack Iraelis.  Why can you not see it (or admit it) when Israelis attack Palestinians?

If that were true none of the previous wars would have ever ended.  Wars end when one recognizes that it is overpowered by the other and either desists in their aggression or is made to desist.

and the other part of it... Israel is not attacking, it is defending itself.  I have not seen Israel go on the attack, only seek to defend itself from attack.

Germany went on the attack.  Other countries sought to defend themselves.  Germany was eventually overpowered and defeated.  That put an end to it.
IP IP Logged
Caringheart

Senior  Member

Quote Caringheart Replybullet Posted: 23 November 2012 at 11:45am

Israel took them by force, and refused to give them back

And why did they do this?
Simple; self preservation.
It is every human's instinct to preserve oneself.
IP IP Logged
Blake
Male 

Quote Blake Replybullet Posted: 23 November 2012 at 11:57am

Originally posted by Blake

Unfortunately there is a one way bais in news reporting and it is actually hurting the Palestinians in the end of it all.

The reality is that the situation is asymmetric: there is far more death and destruction on the Gaza side.  Do you want the media to report that reality, or would you rather have some make-believe fantasy story that suits your ideology?

If I may interject here... I am in agreement with Blake.
What we are saying is that the reporting on both sides must be done, not just the one side.  Israel has been under constant attack for a very extended period of time before they retaliated... but during all that time it was not at all being reported in the general media, so it makes this retaliation seem unjustified.  Why do we only hear about the attacks on Gaza and not the attacks on Israel that they live with every day?  People are being wounded regularly in Israel also.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Caring heart.....   that's right. As I was saying, the deaths of the GAza civilians should not be downplayed or discounted in any way. But ,.... had the INTERNATIONAL news outlets been reporting heavily on the rocket attacks throught the summer and condemning them.... it is quite possible we may not be experiencing what we are seeing now.

How can Hammas be pressured to stop firing rockets when it's bareley reported ...and when it is reported its treated as no big deal becaus ethere are few deaths.  World opinion sides with the Paletinians to the point where it is actually hurting them Because they are being enabled.

I guarantee if Syria was firing rockets into Turkey every day for 8 months or so ... they would do something about it. Any other country in the world would.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 13 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version