Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

General Discussion
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Hijab - Freedom NOT Oppression : Opinion Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 13 Next >>
Chrysalis

Senior  Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote Chrysalis Replybullet Posted: 29 July 2012 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Matt Browne

Sitting near a window to get vitamin D? UVB radiation does not penetrate glass. Checking scientific facts is a good idea before making recommendations that affect human health.

Its silly to think that Muslim women don't have access to sunlight just because they cover up in public. Unless a lady is wearing a full niqab, her skin is still exposed to sunlight. (hands, face, feet).

Women who wear the full niqab can still get sunlight in their balcony, garden, or open window. The odds of a Niqabi woman not having access to sunlight are slim.

Chances of a person suffering from lack of vitamin D are slim, especially since one needs 4-10 minutes of sun exposure thrice a week! Over-exposure to sunlight is a bigger concern and one that most people suffer from.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
IP IP Logged
lady

Quote lady Replybullet Posted: 29 July 2012 at 9:29pm

Sometimes I am quite shocked about the lack of education that's showing in some of the posts. Why do people seem to have trouble memorizing the definition of a term like racism? As if the decision for a face veil is a criterion for race. One can't even see the skin color. How can this then be racism? Muslims expect respect for their culture without being willing to respect non-Muslim cultures. This won't work. Muslims should not kid themselves. They should not underestimate Western resolve.

Sitting near a window to get vitamin D? UVB radiation does not penetrate glass. Checking scientific facts is a good idea before making recommendations that affect human health.

To Matt and CH
I really do think that racism and prejudice are the same words....Smile
When I mentioned that "sitting next to a window will give you vitamin d,"
I was picturing that the window would be opened.Star
Thanks for your advice about checking facts before giving recommendations to others....Smile
Do you really do this yourself before posting comments about islam?Wink
I dont think we need an answer from you.Smile
Matt:  I do think that you and I have something in common, that is:
You may get shocked from the lack of education people may have but I get shocked by the level of arrogance that are in people. Smile
IP IP Logged
Caringheart

Senior  Member

Quote Caringheart Replybullet Posted: 30 July 2012 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by lady

To Matt and CH
I really do think that racism and prejudice are the same words....Smile
When I mentioned that "sitting next to a window will give you vitamin d,"
I was picturing that the window would be opened.Star
Thanks for your advice about checking facts before giving recommendations to others....Smile
Do you really do this yourself before posting comments about islam?Wink
I dont think we need an answer from you.Smile
Matt:  I do think that you and I have something in common, that is:
You may get shocked from the lack of education people may have but I get shocked by the level of arrogance that are in people. Smile

As-Salāmu Alaykum Lady,

You are addressing me?  Not sure how I got drawn into this, but if you are, yes I research thoroughly before sharing my opinions on what I have learned about Islam.  What I share are always opinions.
Salaam.
Caringheart
IP IP Logged
Matt Browne
Male Christian
Senior  Member

Quote Matt Browne Replybullet Posted: 31 July 2012 at 7:09am
So you have a super-devout Muslima sitting by an open window for an hour to get the required sunshine. The face alone would not be enough. You need at least two arms without sleeves as well. On the street people walk by and they can see her face. Which is no problem for me. But a problem for the super-devout folks. Well, maybe we make the ground floor and first floor off limits to women. For pedestrians it's hard to see her on the second floor. But what about a man in a building across the street? Who also lives on the second floor. So this is getting ridiculous. It's much easier to get rid of full hijabs or at least require full hijabs for men too. It would only be fair if they suffer from vitamin D deficiency as well.

There are numerous studies showing the problem. Here is just one article

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100503174026.htm

Depending on where you live and the season more than just a few minutes are required. And you need enough of the exposed skin.

Edited by Matt Browne - 31 July 2012 at 7:14am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
IP IP Logged
Abu Loren

Senior  Member

Quote Abu Loren Replybullet Posted: 01 August 2012 at 3:51am

So you have a super-devout Muslima sitting by an open window for an hour to get the required sunshine. The face alone would not be enough. You need at least two arms without sleeves as well. On the street people walk by and they can see her face. Which is no problem for me. But a problem for the super-devout folks. Well, maybe we make the ground floor and first floor off limits to women. For pedestrians it's hard to see her on the second floor. But what about a man in a building across the street? Who also lives on the second floor. So this is getting ridiculous. It's much easier to get rid of full hijabs or at least require full hijabs for men too. It would only be fair if they suffer from vitamin D deficiency as well.

There are numerous studies showing the problem. Here is just one article

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100503174026.htm

Depending on where you live and the season more than just a few minutes are required. And you need enough of the exposed skin.

Sahih International
O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to bring down over themselves [part] of their outer garments. That is more suitable that they will be known and not be abused. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful 33:59
IP IP Logged
shamypnr
Male Islam
Starter.
Starter.

Quote shamypnr Replybullet Posted: 07 August 2012 at 1:37am
assalamualikum brother/sister,

Islam has specific dresscode which has been narrated in many of the Hadith for men and women. For men the trousers/dress that we wear should be above ankles.(ISBAAL) What is the specific reason for Islam pointing out this to be above ankles?
IP IP Logged
Matt Browne
Male Christian
Senior  Member

Quote Matt Browne Replybullet Posted: 09 August 2012 at 3:29am
Shamypnr, the dress code is unfair. Men don't hide their faces and can take part in public life and they can be recognized as individual persons. Women have the same rights as men.

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
IP IP Logged
Chrysalis

Senior  Member

Quote Chrysalis Replybullet Posted: 09 August 2012 at 8:43am

Shamypnr, the dress code is unfair. Men don't hide their faces and can take part in public life and they can be recognized as individual persons. Women have the same rights as men.

Even men cover their faces in many countries. Bedouin Arab males also cover their faces, justv like the women. In fact, they cover the same area of skin as the women. They even cover their heads.

Edited by Chrysalis - 09 August 2012 at 8:57am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 13 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version