Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:
         

General Discussion
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: What about music??? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Author Message
Caringheart
 
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 02 March 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1922
Quote Caringheart Replybullet Posted: 30 July 2012 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by honeto

Originally posted by Caringheart



,I would love to invite Muslims to listen to Christian music sometime.  Get to know the Christian better.  Check out what they see in Christians, and not just what they see in the culture of the countries in which Christians live.  Christians do not force the country to conform to their ways.  They exist within, and in spite of, the culture. My days are filled with Christian music which keeps my mind focused on God and not on worldly things... not on self.  This feeling closer to God lifts me up.~ More like falling in love, than something to believe in More like losing my heart, than giving my allegiance Caught up, called out, Come take a look at me now Deeper and deeper, it was love that made me a believer, in more than a name, a faith, a creed ~~give me an undivided heart, that I may bring You glory ~~one faith, one love, one God ~But I also do not wish to be a 'brother who causes another to stumble'... so if you in any way feel that this would lead you away from your God, then by all means I do not urge it.  But for the purpose of opening the mind towards who God's people are(and I believe they are all of us), I think it would be beneficial.David was a "man after God's own heart"... and it was David who sang the Psalms for God.  If you read the Psalms you see that we are exhorted to sing glory to God.Blessings.Salaam,[IMG]smileys/smiley27.gif" align="absmiddle" alt="Heart" />


Caringheart,
you said "Christians do not force the country to conform to their ways"
You need to read some history brother. Read what the crusades were all about. Also read history of the Catholic Church, how it was involve in power grab that spanned continents and centuries after the reconquest of Spain. Also read about what were the reasons people from Europe were fleeing to the Americas, should I mention religious persecution by the Church.

As far as how you remember God and how music plays a role in your life, that is your way to get to God just like people of different religions have different ways to bring God in their daily lives.

As far as a Muslim, like myself, praise of God is in every act and every thought. You be surprised to know that every act in the right direction is started in the name of God.
Five times a day when a Muslim present him/herself in Salath to God Almighty, he/she recite the beautiful suras
by memory in a balanced beautiful recitation that are not just music to the ear, but give life to the soul, thus a person following their five Salath is with a soul that is happy and alive all day.
Islam creates a balance in a person's life through which he/she achieves success in this world and same times secures his/her space in Paradise.

God tell us through the Quran that the comforts of this life are temporary, but the comforts of the hereafter are forever. And that's what should be our goal, if we want to be successful in the hereafter.

Have you ever listened to word of God recited in the language it was revealed? try this link, this recitation if very beautiful and here is its meanings.
Al-Fatiha (The Opening)

1:1 (Asad) In the name of God, The Most Gracious, The Dispenser of Grace: [1]
1:2 (Asad) All praise is due to God alone, the Sustainer of all the worlds, [2]
1:3 (Asad) The Most Gracious, the Dispenser of Grace,

1:4 (Asad) Lord of the Day of Judgment.

1:5 (Asad) Thee alone do we worship; and unto Thee alone do we turn for aid.

1:6 (Asad) Guide us the straight way.

1:7 (Asad) The way of those upon whom Thou hast bestowed Thy blessings, [3] not of those who have been condemned [by Thee], nor of those who go astray! [4]

Please paste this in you browser and listen:

http://www.mp3quran.net/newMedia.php?id=1&file=http://server8.mp3quran.net/afs/001.mp3

Hasan


Greetings Hasan,
I figured you were resting for Ramadan since I've written a few replies to you that you had not responded to, but now I see that they have not been posted on the forum.  Unhappy

My view on the crusades...
The crusades was about the Romans... specifically a Roman ruler named Constantinople who found Christianity(became a Christian) and decided to wave the banner of Christianity in his battles with the world... not the other way around.   It was not the cause of Christianity to conquer the world.  That was the cause of a Roman ruler, and rulers.
But the main thing here is we are talking about history.  It was, and is, history.
No Christian establishment is telling any country today that its people have to live a certain way.
I am dealing with the present day Christian.  When you view any secular country where Christians live, you are seeing the culture, not Christianity.  Christians are only living within the culture.

I am glad to hear that your soul is 'alive and happy all day'. Smile

I agree the Surah you shared reads like a song... just as the Psalms.
I actually had tried to ask in a new post what the words of this Surah mean.
I will be glad to listen to the link you shared when I can get to another computer.
Thanks for sharing.
Smile Heart
Heart


Edited by Caringheart - 30 July 2012 at 6:51pm
IP IP Logged
Abu Loren
Male Islam
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 29 June 2012
Location: United Arab Emirates
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 977
Quote Abu Loren Replybullet Posted: 03 August 2012 at 4:44pm
Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari:

that he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful. And there will be some people who will stay near the side of a mountain and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection."

English reference
: Vol. 7, Book 69, Hadith 494A
Arabic reference
: Book 74, Hadith 5649
 
It was narrated that Al-Awza'i said:
"Umar bin 'Abdul-'Aziz wrote a letter to 'Umar bin Al-Walid in which he said: 'The share that your father gave to you was the entire Khumus,[1] but the share that your father is entitled to is the same as that of any man among the Muslims, on which is due the rights of Allah and His Messenger, and of relatives, orphans, the poor and wayfarers. How many will dispute with your father on the Day of Resurrection! How can he be saved who has so many disputants? And your openly allowing musical instruments and wind instruments is an innovation in Islam. I was thinking of sending someone to you who would cut off your evil long hair."'
 
English reference
: Vol. 5, Book 2, Hadith 4140
Arabic reference
: Book 39, Hadith 4152
 
Music and songs takes away the rememberence of Allah as the tune and the songs linger in the mind.
IP IP Logged
Caringheart
 
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 02 March 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1922
Quote Caringheart Replybullet Posted: 03 August 2012 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Abu Loren

[/QUOTE]<


Hello Hasan,

You say that "Music and songs takes away the rememberence of Allah as the tune and the songs linger in the mind."
which is absolutely true if ones listens to incorrect music.

For me, the music I listen to(which is Godly music only) helps to keep my mind focused on God rather than on worldly things... for precisely the reasons that you state... the music and words, which are words from scripture, linger in the mind.  Even when I am not listening to music God will remind me of a song when I need a Word from Him.  He speaks to me with His Word, whether in the form of music, or in thought.  The Word of God is alive and active... It lives in me.

I believe it matters what kind of music we are talking about... what kind of music you listen to.  There is much music in the world that is not helpful and leading away from God.  But there is much music that worships and honors God... guiding the thoughts to God and Father.

If the music cleanses the soul it is good for the soul.  If the music feeds the flesh it is death for the soul. - C. Lynn

mho
Heart

David honored God with music, and God acknowledged it.


Edited by Caringheart - 03 August 2012 at 5:49pm
IP IP Logged
Abu Loren
Male Islam
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 29 June 2012
Location: United Arab Emirates
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 977
Quote Abu Loren Replybullet Posted: 03 August 2012 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Caringheart

Originally posted by Abu Loren



Hello Hasan,

You say that "Music and songs takes away the rememberence of Allah as the tune and the songs linger in the mind."
which is absolutely true if ones listens to incorrect music.

For me, the music I listen to(which is Godly music only) helps to keep my mind focused on God rather than on worldly things... for precisely the reasons that you state... the music and words, which are words from scripture, linger in the mind.  Even when I am not listening to music God will remind me of a song when I need a Word from Him.  He speaks to me with His Word, whether in the form of music, or in thought.  The Word of God is alive and active... It lives in me.

I believe it matters what kind of music we are talking about... what kind of music you listen to.  There is much music in the world that is not helpful and leading away from God.  But there is much music that worships and honors God... guiding the thoughts to God and Father.

If the music cleanses the soul it is good for the soul.  If the music feeds the flesh it is death for the soul. - C. Lynn

mho
Heart

David honored God with music, and God acknowledged it.
 
I'm not Hasan :)
 
David (pbuh) did not sing but he chanted the psalms, the same as Muhammed (pbuh) chanted the Holy Qur'an.
IP IP Logged
Caringheart
 
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 02 March 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1922
Quote Caringheart Replybullet Posted: 04 August 2012 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Abu Loren

 
I'm not Hasan :)
 
David (pbuh) did not sing but he chanted the psalms, the same as Muhammed (pbuh) chanted the Holy Qur'an.


I'm sorry Abu Loren.  I didn't realize I had done that. Embarrassed  I was getting tired and must have made a mistake thinking I was responding to Hasan.

Yes, you are right about David.  Chanting was considered song in those days.  I think I talked about that... maybe in another thread? Smile
IP IP Logged
Caringheart
 
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 02 March 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1922
Quote Caringheart Replybullet Posted: 05 August 2012 at 4:06pm
Greetings Abu Loren,

It seems that we may both be somewhat wrong... Ermm

While I know that the early Christians, and the monks, did chant the Psalms as they went about their day and it was regular that they would chant a verse and the common people would respond with the next.  This is how the Psalms were memorized and this is where prayer beads originated from.

I remembered this morning that David played the lyre, and so I looked it up and found this;

1 Samuel 10
As you approach the town, you will meet a procession of prophets coming down from the high place with lyres, timbrels, pipes and harps being played before them, and they will be prophesying.

Let our lord command his servants here to search for someone who can play the lyre. He will play when the evil spirit from God comes on you, and you will feel better.”

One of the servants answered, “I have seen a son of Jesse of Bethlehem who knows how to play the lyre.

Whenever the spirit from God came on Saul, David would take up his lyre and play. Then relief would come to Saul; he would feel better, and the evil spirit would leave him.

2 Chronicles 29:25
He stationed the Levites in the temple of the LORD with cymbals, harps and lyres in the way prescribed by David and Gad the king’s seer and Nathan the prophet; this was commanded by the LORD through his prophets.

Psalm 33:2
Praise the LORD with the harp; make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre.

David wrote the Psalms as music praising the Lord.


I need to begin study into Jewish tradition.  I wonder how the Hebrews treated the Psalms?


Edited by Caringheart - 05 August 2012 at 5:00pm
IP IP Logged
Abu Loren
Male Islam
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 29 June 2012
Location: United Arab Emirates
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 977
Quote Abu Loren Replybullet Posted: 06 August 2012 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Caringheart

Greetings Abu Loren,

It seems that we may both be somewhat wrong... Ermm

While I know that the early Christians, and the monks, did chant the Psalms as they went about their day and it was regular that they would chant a verse and the common people would respond with the next.  This is how the Psalms were memorized and this is where prayer beads originated from.

I remembered this morning that David played the lyre, and so I looked it up and found this;

1 Samuel 10
As you approach the town, you will meet a procession of prophets coming down from the high place with lyres, timbrels, pipes and harps being played before them, and they will be prophesying.

Let our lord command his servants here to search for someone who can play the lyre. He will play when the evil spirit from God comes on you, and you will feel better.”

One of the servants answered, “I have seen a son of Jesse of Bethlehem who knows how to play the lyre.

Whenever the spirit from God came on Saul, David would take up his lyre and play. Then relief would come to Saul; he would feel better, and the evil spirit would leave him.

2 Chronicles 29:25
He stationed the Levites in the temple of the LORD with cymbals, harps and lyres in the way prescribed by David and Gad the king’s seer and Nathan the prophet; this was commanded by the LORD through his prophets.

Psalm 33:2
Praise the LORD with the harp; make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre.

David wrote the Psalms as music praising the Lord.


I need to begin study into Jewish tradition.  I wonder how the Hebrews treated the Psalms?
 
As'alaamu Alaikkum
 
I can accept that music was used by the people of the scripture, however, music and singing is forbidden for the followers of Muhammed (pbuh).
IP IP Logged
Caringheart
 
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 02 March 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1922
Quote Caringheart Replybullet Posted: 06 August 2012 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Abu Loren


 
As'alaamu Alaikkum
 
I can accept that music was used by the people of the scripture, however, music and singing is forbidden for the followers of Muhammed (pbuh).


I did not know this.
What does the Qur'an say, if anything, about David who wrote the zabur?


Edited by Caringheart - 06 August 2012 at 6:50pm
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed herein contain positions and viewpoints that are not necessarily those of IslamiCity. This forum is offered to stimulate dialogue and discussion in our continuing mission of being an educational organization.
If there is any issue with any of the postings please email to icforum at islamicity.com or if you are a forum's member you can use the report button.

Note: The 99 names of Allah avatars are courtesy of www.arthafez.com

Advertisement:



Sponsored by:
Islamicity Membership Program:
IslamiCity Donation Program  http://www.islamicity.com/Donate
IslamiCity Arabic eLearning http://www.islamiCity.com/ArabAcademy
Complete Domain & Hosting Solutions www.icDomain.com
Home for Muslim Tunes www.icTunes.com
Islamic Video Collections www.islamiTV.com
IslamiCity Marriage Site www.icMarriage.com