Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

Current Events
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : Politics : Current Events
Message Icon Topic: Say NO to Indefinite Military Detention! Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
schmikbob
Male Agnostic
Senior  Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote schmikbob Replybullet Posted: 17 December 2011 at 11:03pm
I say that if you are fearful of being brought in on charges, be they justified or not, then perhaps you should change something.  Personally, I live a simple life.  Those of you that are so upset that you think this changes anything ought to think about what you are doing.  You need to relax.
IP IP Logged
longears
Female Christian

Quote longears Replybullet Posted: 18 December 2011 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by schmikbob

I say that if you are fearful of being brought in on charges, be they justified or not, then perhaps you should change something.  Personally, I live a simple life.  Those of you that are so upset that you think this changes anything ought to think about what you are doing.  You need to relax.

So you are saying that if my children have food on the table, I should turn a bind eye to the thousands who don't?  That people should not over-step and try to become a voice for the voiceless, a defense for the defenseless?  We should just lead a simple and comfortable life, as best we are able, and not worry about others' well-being?  Is that what you are saying?

I've been blessed with the option of a simple and satisfying life -- it's tempting to crawl into a cocoon and ignore the world around me.  Perhaps this is my greatest struggle of principle and belief -- I don't want to go back out there and fight for others.  I hate fighting,  I always end up spiritually and emotionally wounded and exhausted.  The only thing worse is watching it happen and doing nothing.

I'm not a belligerent person, certainly not a terrorist, not always listening  for a "call to arms".  I have no intention of harming others, because that's wrong. My crime is wanting to remove from power those who are abusing their power to harm innocent people. 

Are you saying that we should just turn a blind eye to the suffering and injustice in our society because speaking up in outrage, or telling others about what we've seen, or organizing against patent injustice, might get us in trouble?  

What exactly are you recommending?

"No peace until there is peace for all.  No rest until all has been fulfilled"  Dag Hammarskjold                      
IP IP Logged
peacemaker
Male Islam
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote peacemaker Replybullet Posted: 18 December 2011 at 12:44pm

"To not be harmed is the most fundamental civil liberty in my mind."

True.

"We are living in extraordinary times, which call for extraordinary measures and power."

Regardless of how difficult it has become, the infringement of civil liberties (when many such infringements have already happened) should be out of question.

Justice and peace go hand in hand. It is a basic equation. 

Here is a relevant quote:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Abraham Lincoln

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
IP IP Logged
abuayisha

Senior  Member

Quote abuayisha Replybullet Posted: 18 December 2011 at 6:10pm

"Justice and peace go hand in hand. It is a basic equation."  Allah bless you Peacemaker, and how I wish life were as simplistic as the inspirational quotations you have stated. My eyes have witnessed otherwise.

IP IP Logged
schmikbob
Male Agnostic
Senior  Member

Quote schmikbob Replybullet Posted: 18 December 2011 at 8:35pm
I think that if you are afraid of a military dictatorship in the United States, then you probably have never served in the US military and your point of reference is skewed.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version