Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

Interfaith Dialogue
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : Religion - Islam : Interfaith Dialogue
Message Icon Topic: Islam # Taoism Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
Taiji_Tao

Online Status: Offline
Quote Taiji_Tao Replybullet Posted: 02 September 2011 at 6:54pm
Hello IslamicPeace,

Shangdi is a mistranslation and combination of terms.  Huang Di (Yellow Emperor, first Emperor of China 4,500 years ago), and the Shang Empire (second empire in China).   In the Chinese versions of the Bible and the Quran in place of God or Allah it says Tao. 
 There are two types of Taoism, real and Religious.  Real Taoism is scholarly, and they master the 8 departments/subjects, Religious Taoism came about when certain people combined Taoist Philosophy with Buddhist and Hindu religions creating the Taoist Religion, which actually is nothing more than Buddhism cloaked in Taoist garb, contains none of the knowledge and only the outfits, the rest is all Buddhism.  Buddhism was not accepted in China at first they viewed it as a foreign religion that was the opposite of Taoism, so in a desperate attempt for survival the Buddhists began to combine Buddhism and Taoism together which is what you have today in China. 

Taoisms teachings whether it is from Huang Di, Lao Tzu, Confucius, Chuan Tzu, Wen Tzu, etc..all speak about the One God, how to get to Heaven, How to avoid Hell etc...  and the teachings are identical to Allahs guidance in the Quran and Bible. 
  Even Jesus's sermon on the Mount is almost identical word for word to a section of the I-Ching (Holy text of Change). 

Peace and Blessings,
Tom
IP IP Logged
islamispeace
 Islam
Senior  Member

Quote islamispeace Replybullet Posted: 03 September 2011 at 11:23am
Thanks for the information.  I have looked into the meaning of "Shangdi" and it is usually translated as "Emperor of Heaven" which by implication means "God".  But I had never heard of "Tao" before.  I am very much interested in this subject.  Can you recommend any books I can get to learn more?  Or should I just read the writings of the philosophers you mentioned?

Also, if I may ask, are you a Muslim?  If so, are you a convert?  If you are not a Muslim, why not?        
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

IP IP Logged
Taiji_Tao

Quote Taiji_Tao Replybullet Posted: 03 September 2011 at 1:02pm
Hi IslamisPeace,

In ancient China there were alot of "folk" beliefs among the various tribes in China, some believed in many gods, with Tao being the One God or True God, those people were Chinese but not Taoist.  Similar to Arabia prior to Muhammad (pbuh), there were idols to many false gods yet Allah was viewed as the highest among them, the Kabba was the place of pilgrimage during this time for all the "gods", however prior to that it was the built by Abraham to honor Allah, similar scenario in China, there always was Tao then some people began to invent false gods due to their blindness, but at the same time there were those who knew Tao, Allah, God was the truth and the Way.  Make sense? 
  Other problem is many of the people translating Taoist texts into English or even modern Chinese are Atheists or do not want the truth to get out, so they on purpose (or lack of knowledge) mistranslated the text destroying the true meaning.  Again, similar to many who translate the Quran, some are good translations, others are purposely flawed. 

You will find alot of benefit by reading the Quran and Bible along with the Tao Teh Ching http://www.amazon.com/Tao-Te-Ching-Lao-Tsu/dp/0679724346/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1315080131&sr=8-6

IP IP Logged
Taiji_Tao

Quote Taiji_Tao Replybullet Posted: 03 September 2011 at 1:12pm
(continued)
  You may also enjoy a book by Dr. Stephen T. Chang (The Great Tao) http://theqiinstitute.com/dr-stephen-t-changs-books.html , His family created Classical Chinese Medicine and they come from the earliest line of Scholarly Taoists.   

Regarding being a Muslim, if you are asking do I submit my will to the will of God and do I recognize the many Prophets sent by God and recognize that Muhammad (pbuh) is the seal of the Prophets, then yes. 

Kindest Regards!

Edited by Taiji_Tao - 03 September 2011 at 1:18pm
IP IP Logged
Taiji_Tao

Quote Taiji_Tao Replybullet Posted: 03 September 2011 at 1:41pm
This is a video from the Deen Show that I think people will enjoy
http://www.thedeenshow.com/show.php?action=detail&id=1913

IP IP Logged
taoist

Quote taoist Replybullet Posted: 03 September 2011 at 9:43pm
Taiji Tao please show me in the Tao De Ching where it shows you how to get to heaven.  Also Islam is peace read the Tao de Ching for yourself and see if you find any way they could be compatible .  I can,t.
taoist
IP IP Logged
islamispeace
 Islam
Senior  Member

Quote islamispeace Replybullet Posted: 04 September 2011 at 1:29pm
As-salaam alaikum.  Thanks for the recommendations.  I will certainly look into them. 

Since you accept the Islamic creed, I guess the next relevant question is do you actually practice Islam as your religion?  Do you believe that Islam is the only religion that God (Tao) will accept now that it has been revealed.  The Quran states that the prophets who were sent in the past were sent to their own people.  Muhammad (pbuh) on the other hand was sent to all mankind, so Islam is a universal religion.   

Also, taoist has raised some objections to some of your claims.  I would be interested in how you respond to them, since this is your area of expertise. 
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

IP IP Logged
Taiji_Tao

Quote Taiji_Tao Replybullet Posted: 04 September 2011 at 4:17pm
Before I address the question posed by "Taoist", I would like to thank the moderator for allowing this discussion to continue in an honest, open and thought provoking manner in keeping with Islamic tradition.

Regarding instructions on entering or reaching Heaven, every "chapter" or section deals with this question as well as the other Taoist Classics (I-Ching, Chuan Tzu, Wen Tzu, Kong Fu Tzu [Confucius], even Buddha's actually teachings not the perversions that followed later). 
I will quote a few sections of the Tao Teh Ching for you, before reading the first quote, please read Surah 1 in the Quran.
Section 21:
The greatest Virtue is to follow Tao (God) and Tao (God) alone.
The Tao (God) is elusive and intangible.
Oh, it is intangible and elusive, and yet within is image.
Oh, it is elusive and intangible, and yet within is form.
Oh, it is dim and dark, and yet within is essence.
This essence is very real, and therein lies faith.
From the very beginning until now its (God's) name has never been forgotten.
Thus I perceive creation.
How do I know the way of creation?
Because of this.

Next quote follows.....
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version