Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

General Discussion
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : General : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Why building a mosque near "ground zero" is bad Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 55 Next >>
Chrysalis

Senior  Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote Chrysalis Replybullet Posted: 13 August 2010 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Gibbs

Ok with all the muslims and the mosques in America do we still have discrimination? Yes so that point is null and void.

America is a huge nation, where Muslims are still a minority, so of course the current number of Mosques cannot deter or reduce this discrimination no matter how good an awareness programme they have. You cannot thus use these numbers as a performance measure. The Mosques and Muslim communities can only do their best within their territories or community blocks. I think that's a start, and a good stepping stone towards awareness. The whole point of it is interaction and increasing association b/w Muslims as a religious community and non-Muslims.

Just because you meet a Muslim doesn't gurantee it will be a positive encounter. In college when some imam spoke to our class he essentially told my class of 200 people that if we didn't convert to Islam we would go to hell. Now aside from learning the pillars of Islam how do you connect with people by using typical Christian behavior.

There is never a guarantee for anything. Of course you cannot guarantee a positive encounter, but you can at least enable it. Since Non-Muslims have a problem with the religious aspect of Muslims, the only way to reduce Islamophobia is to give them insight into the religious behavior and rituals of Muslims. One way to increase tolerance is by encouraging inter-cultural interaction. What better such interaction b/w Muslims and Non-Muslims than a religious community centre?

To glamorize this one is to assert that this will be some sort of unique mosque when the only unique thing is that its near ground zero.

I didn't suggest that this Mosque would have anymore special powers than the next one. It just happens to be in that neighborhood. I was just disagreeing when you said that a Mosque does not prove/ or help prove Muslims are peaceful people. I think that any religious/cultural centre has that power.

However one could argue that since this Mosque is right smack in the middle of New York, next to the towers whose fate is associated with Muslims and Islam - it is symbolically a good place to start the awareness with. If I want to make a statement about Islam, peace, 9/11 and prove otherwise, what better place to start with than near ground zero? Its like the Mosque is saying that Muslims and Islam are an important part of the community that was attacked on 9/11. They were victims too, they are a part of that community, not a separate entity... let alone 'responsible' for the atrocity.

Yes with connecting with different religions and different people you can help, but muslims are fighting an uphill battle.

True... and like Hayfa suggested; damned if we do, damned if we don't.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
IP IP Logged
Gibbs

Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote Gibbs Replybullet Posted: 13 August 2010 at 6:06pm
Question. Does the outside look of your house indicate you pay your rent?
IP IP Logged
abuayisha

Senior  Member

Quote abuayisha Replybullet Posted: 13 August 2010 at 6:24pm

"As a citizen, and as president, I believe that Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as anyone else in this country," Obama said, weighing in for the first time on a controversy that has riven New York City and the nation.

"That includes the right to build a place of worship and a community center on private property in lower Manhattan, in accordance with local laws and ordinances," he said. "This is America, and our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakable."

Obama made the comments at an annual dinner in the White House State Dining Room celebrating the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.

Edited by abuayisha - 13 August 2010 at 6:34pm
IP IP Logged
honeto

Senior  Member

Quote honeto Replybullet Posted: 13 August 2010 at 7:19pm
"Came late, came right"
I think, the building of the Mosque or any house of worship anywhere in the US should not be a problem. If it becomes a problem, it is a test to what America claim it stands for. Nothing more, nothing less.
Hasan

Edited by honeto - 13 August 2010 at 7:20pm
39:64 Proclaim: Is it some one other than God that you order me to worship, O you ignorant ones?"
IP IP Logged
Gibbs

Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote Gibbs Replybullet Posted: 13 August 2010 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by honeto

"Came late, came right"I think, the building of the Mosque or any house of worship anywhere in the US should not be a problem. If it becomes a problem, it is a test to what America claim it stands for. Nothing more, nothing less.Hasan

So you are going lump all of American ideals simply because people disagree with building an Islamic center? That fact that we disagree freely is a testament to American ideals. That point is null and void
IP IP Logged
Sign*Reader

Senior  Member

Quote Sign*Reader Replybullet Posted: 13 August 2010 at 11:04pm
As I mentioned previously what Jim Wallace's wanted Obama to say from the bully pulpit, he did exactly that! And he also mentioned Catholic churches and Synagogues opposition in the past a bit of bitter history but facts all the same! I think the battle lines are drawn that will further damage the wingnuts' cause...Obama has bitten the bullet! It will be very interesting to watch from now on!

The ideals are for the free not for the debtors, They can have all the opinions but the law is the law, money talks and bs walks!
The ideal America is for the well off or the history books! Did you ever think this happening in America?

Chaos for Section 8 Housing Assistance

Edited by Sign*Reader - 13 August 2010 at 11:32pm
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
IP IP Logged
Gibbs

Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote Gibbs Replybullet Posted: 13 August 2010 at 11:30pm
SignReader I agree
IP IP Logged
Sign*Reader

Senior  Member

Quote Sign*Reader Replybullet Posted: 13 August 2010 at 11:57pm
Gibbs: Thanks...

If you had a chance to see this?http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/12/pat-tillmans-father-to-ar_n_680128.html

Don't we all want the truth?
See how does it hurt when the shoe is on the other foot?

Then the lying part makes even more painful!
How long it has to go on?

Edited by Sign*Reader - 14 August 2010 at 8:48am
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 55 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version