Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

Groups Women (Sisters)
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : Culture & Community : Groups Women (Sisters)
Message Icon Event: No return to Salaams! - Event Date: 10 April 2009 Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 8 Next >>
Danty
Female Islam

Online Status: Offline
Quote Danty Replybullet Posted: 16 April 2009 at 8:20am
As-salam-u-laikum Sister Zaharah. On behalf of the Atlanta community, I am sorry that you have experienced unhappy things. Which mosques are you going to? I try to go to whatever Mosques I am traveling around. There are all kinds of people where ever you go. Sister, we have halaqas here to connect with other sisters and learn our deen. My mom also converted to Islam a long time ago but was accepted to the community without any types of problems. I agree that some people are rude but like I said this world is filled with all kinds!Sister Zaharah, welcome, marhaban, to Islam and this community in GA! Eastside! HAHAHAHAHAHA!
Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said "Be kind, for whenever kindness becomes part of something, it beautifies it.Whenever it is taken from something, it leaves it tarnished." (IMAM BUKHARI)
IP IP Logged
Zaharah
Female Islam

Quote Zaharah Replybullet Posted: 16 April 2009 at 9:38am
Wa Alaikum As Salams sister Danty,
LOL Eastside!
Thanks for your comment you always make my day with happy endings on your comments.
I do feel welcome here, coming from a place where you would be afraid to wear your hijab for fear of burning a piece of wood in your yard (if u know what im saying)
It's just that I'm shocked at the behavior of these women who call themselves sisters not returning the greeting.  I'm soooo excited about Islam and learning of my God. 
Danty have you voted in the poll?
Maybe I can come to Stone Mt. to visit and go to the Masjid with youSmile Zaharah
IP IP Logged
Hayfa
Female  Islam
Senior  Member

Quote Hayfa Replybullet Posted: 16 April 2009 at 6:26pm

A few weeks ago I wentto another masjid in DC. Most are in the suburbs. I went to this one on a talk about domestic violence. All of the sisters said salaams. What is most interesting is that all of the people there were not immigrants. It actually was a former Nation of Islam masjid but changed.

I think it does have to do with one's culture. Like in US we have a 'polite' greetings like, 'hello, how are you"? So people raised here are used to greeting strangers. So having some type of introduction among people who don't really know each other is common.

It was interesting as all except one or two of the sisters were African-American. And even though i am not, I felt far more comfortable than if i had gone to a a masjid dominated by numbers by Pakistanis or Middle Eastern folks.

It was interesting to me as I felt more comfortable in that I understood the 'language,' meaning what people meant when they spoke about this or that.

Last summer I was involved in another masjid and Ireember being upset saying to one woman, "i do not belong here?" she was like "why not, you are American". And I could not put into words how I felt.

Maybe things are more colored for me after my last trip to Pakistan... I dunno.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
IP IP Logged
Zaharah
Female Islam

Quote Zaharah Replybullet Posted: 17 April 2009 at 9:47am
Salams Sister Hayfa,
Wow that does sound interesting.  I must say this and anyone reading this im not trying to put nobody down. May Allah have mercy on us all.  I have to say that when i do experience these looks and no return of the greeting it is from women from pakistan or middle eastern areas.  I don't know the culture there, but im open to learn.  But I have to say that my best friend is from Palestine and she/family have never treated me/family with nothing but kindness, her home is my home when im there and vice verse.  Even when her mom comes to the states not speaking any english, she is very kind and compassionate.  May Allah forgive me, but i really think sometimes it has to do with the color of a persons skin or maybe their life experience.  But no matter what Prophet (PBUH) told us that we must return the greeting.  So my theory is : We Muslim All have the same Universal Greeting, no matter what our language or where we're from and we know this, why is it so hard for some Sisters to return the greetings or just give a smile???  YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE (if your reading this)!!! Or is it that they think they are excused from what Prophet (PBUH) told us?

Hayfa we got a lot of praying to do.  May Allah have mercy on us!
Hug  
IP IP Logged
Zaharah
Female Islam

Quote Zaharah Replybullet Posted: 20 April 2009 at 8:57pm

Narrated Al-Bara

The Prophet ordered us to do seven (things) and forbade us from seven (other things): He ordered us to pay a visit to the sick, to follow funeral possessions, to say: May Allah be merciful to you to a sneezer, - if he says: Praise be to Allah, to accept invitation (invitation to a wedding banquet), to return greetings, to help the oppressed, and to help others to fulfill their oaths (provided it was not sinful). And he forbade us from seven (things): to wear golden rings or golden bangles, to wear silk (cloth), Dibaj, Sundus and Mayathir.

ZHug
IP IP Logged
Zaharah
Female Islam

Quote Zaharah Replybullet Posted: 22 April 2009 at 6:20pm
41:20 (Asad) till, when they come close to it, their hearing and their sight and their [very] skins will bear witness against them, speaking of what they were doing [on earth].

may Allah be pleased
Zaharah
IP IP Logged
Chrysalis

Senior  Member

Quote Chrysalis Replybullet Posted: 27 April 2009 at 5:34am
Dont take it too hard sisters. . . .

It may not neccassarily be because of race etc. Sometimes ppl have a lack of islamic knowledge, and have forgotten Islamic customs. Some are by nature shy, or are not in a habit of smiling to strangers. People, even muslims are now wary of conversing with strangers - and will not smile or say hi/salaam. We are starting to become an individualistic culture.

Some behaved the way - like I did once! I was once abroad. . . walking in the zoo - when a sister passed by and said Salaam. . . I was kinda day-dreaming and didnt look at her, took me a couple of secs before I realised someone had said salaam - I turned around, but she was lost in the crowd!!!  I felt so bad all day. . . she probably thought I was arrogant or something Unhappy

But inshallah you all will still get sawaab for saying the salaam, even if the other does not reciprocate. . .

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
IP IP Logged
Chrysalis

Senior  Member

Quote Chrysalis Replybullet Posted: 27 April 2009 at 5:39am
Originally posted by Hayfa

Salaams

Women are just cliquish..

Thats so true, and I hate that about us .. . Ouch

Men are so much more easygoing - they will make friends with any man they meet and meet with such gusto! We tend to be a little reserved. . . and. . . cliquish.

I am going to be more friendly towards my sisters from today onwards Smile

SISTER POWERRRRRRR!!!!! Star

Edited by Chrysalis - 27 April 2009 at 5:40am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 8 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version