Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

General Islamic Matter
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : Religion - Islam : General Islamic Matter
Message Icon Topic: Islamic values and Western 'culture' Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 9 Next >>
Shasta'sAunt
Female  Islam
Senior  Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote Shasta'sAunt Replybullet Posted: 14 March 2009 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by candid_new

Higher education is important but it should not be at the cost of primary education of the masses. Primary education is important for reforming the society. Technological advancement is ineffective without social progress.

So when everyone is a high school graduate but there are no doctors or scientists society will progress?

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”
Eleanor Roosevelt
IP IP Logged
candid_new

Groupie
Groupie

Quote candid_new Replybullet Posted: 14 March 2009 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Shasta'sAunt

Higher education is important but it should not be at the cost of primary education of the masses. Primary education is important for reforming the society. Technological advancement is ineffective without social progress.

So when everyone is a high school graduate but there are no doctors or scientists society will progress?

You have comprehension problem, it seems. I suggest you re read what I posted. I said higher education is important, but primary education is more important than higher education. I meant if nearly all the educated people of the country are doctors and engineers, but the literacy rate is low and the masses are ignorant and poor, the country still can't make significant progress.

Edited by candid_new - 14 March 2009 at 8:27pm
IP IP Logged
Chrysalis

Senior  Member

Quote Chrysalis Replybullet Posted: 15 March 2009 at 3:43am

Originally posted by Shasta'sAunt

You have comprehension problem, it seems. I suggest you re read what I posted. I said higher education is important, but primary education is more important than higher education. I meant if nearly all the educated people of the country are doctors and engineers, but the literacy rate is low and the masses are ignorant and poor, the country still can't make significant progress.

Thats not neccassarily true. There is no such primary vs higher education formula. You cannot put one up against the other.

India - does not have literacy of the masses - yet has a significant higher educated class, and despite its many faults, seems to be developing.

Phillipines - where the majority are literate, does not seem to be developing/improving like it should.

It also cannot be guaranteed that education will neccassarily eradicate poverty and ignorance.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
IP IP Logged
Ron Webb
Male Humanism
Senior  Member

Quote Ron Webb Replybullet Posted: 15 March 2009 at 1:12pm

I would recommend Muslims who live in West not to adopt Western culture also because it is overly materialistic.

True, but then Muslim culture is underly materialistic (which is probably why Muslim countries do not have strong economies).  I would recommend that each culture try to learn from the others.
Addeenul ‘Aql – Religion is intellect.
IP IP Logged
Saladin
Male Islam
Senior  Member

Quote Saladin Replybullet Posted: 15 March 2009 at 1:50pm

And take the good from every culture and leave out the bad.

'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
IP IP Logged
abuayisha

Senior  Member

Quote abuayisha Replybullet Posted: 15 March 2009 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb

[QUOTE=candid_new] 
True, but then Muslim culture is underly materialistic (which is probably why Muslim countries do not have strong economies).  I would recommend that each culture try to learn from the others.

IP IP Logged
Saladin
Male Islam
Senior  Member

Quote Saladin Replybullet Posted: 15 March 2009 at 3:44pm
WOW!!! What a beauty! .....got to lower my gaze....she's way off my league :-(

'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
IP IP Logged
abuayisha

Senior  Member