Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

Interfaith Dialogue
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : Religion - Islam : Interfaith Dialogue
Message Icon Topic: Jesus’ new commandment Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 28 Next >>
honeto

Senior  Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote honeto Replybullet Posted: 21 April 2008 at 11:49am
Originally posted by believer

Acts 17

24"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. 25And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else. 26From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. 27God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. 28'For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.'

We need to keep seeking and searching for GOD.

Hi beleiver,
what Paul's words you quoted all seem to be in agreement with Islamic teachings, except verse 28 where it says: "As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring."
Now remember Paul is talking to the Pagans of Athens here according to an earlier verse. So Paul is taking a Pagan idea and applying it to what he is preaching in the verse, strange??

I also find very interesting the verse after, which you did not post:
29"Therefore since we are God's offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by man's design and skill. 30In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. 31For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising him from the dead."  

Now Paul is using the term God's offspring for all, himself and all the pagan audiences he was addressing.  That is interesting!!!

What I find further interesting is what Paul is saying: That we should not think of God as we did in the past (remember he is talking to pagans) as something confined in man made images of stone, silver, and gold. And he equates such acts as "ignorance"

beleiver you said: "We need to keep seeking and searching for GOD."

I hope and pray that you be succesful in your sincere search for God.
Hasan

Edited by honeto - 21 April 2008 at 11:55am
39:64 Proclaim: Is it some one other than God that you order me to worship, O you ignorant ones?"
IP IP Logged
believer

Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote believer Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2008 at 4:29am

Thank you.  Right back at you. 

You have probably heard -"the journey is as important as the destination"  or something like that

What is the saying?
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
IP IP Logged
honeto

Senior  Member

Quote honeto Replybullet Posted: 28 April 2008 at 5:42pm

Thank you.  Right back at you. 

You have probably heard -"the journey is as important as the destination"  or something like that

What is the saying?

Hi beleiver,
I am not a language expert to know many proverbs, but what is your response to my post?? what you have to say?
Hasan
39:64 Proclaim: Is it some one other than God that you order me to worship, O you ignorant ones?"
IP IP Logged
believer

Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote believer Replybullet Posted: 28 April 2008 at 6:52pm
the "Right back at you" was for the - "I hope and pray that you be succesful in your sincere search for God"

John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
IP IP Logged
honeto

Senior  Member

Quote honeto Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 4:00pm
believer,
God knows what was in yur heart!!
IP IP Logged
Ron Webb
Male Humanism
Senior  Member

Quote Ron Webb Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by honeto

believer,
God knows what was in yur heart!!
Believer's use of a modern English slang expression may have created a misunderstanding.  Just so you know, honeto: "Right back at you" means "And I wish the same for you"; i.e., that you too are successful in your search for God.Smile
IP IP Logged
believer

Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote believer Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2008 at 3:00pm

Yes Ron is right!!

John 3
IP IP Logged
relaxjack

Starter
Starter

Quote relaxjack Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2008 at 7:21am

John 13:34 

34A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
Few questions which I hope you could reply:

1) Who were Jesus enemies, according to the Bible?

2) According to the bible, Jesus told his followers to love their enemies:
But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you... (Matthew 5:4)

3) How did the bible describes Jesus loving his enemies?

Matt. 23:17, 27 You blind fools! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes the gold sacred?..."Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of dead men's bones and everything unclean.
Matt. 12:34 You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.
4) In what way was the commandment to love thy enemies different from the actual treatment of Jesus' enemies... according to the bible? 
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 28 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version