Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

Africa
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : Regional : Africa
Message Icon Topic: Sudan Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
mariyah

Senior  Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote mariyah Replybullet Posted: 08 May 2006 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Knowledge01

As Salaam Alaikum brotha Jamal,

I want to tell you that the title "African American" should not be used, specially by you (an AFRICAN).  Any person ,whether in the U.S., Europe, or Africa, is an AFRICAN.  Because that's where we're from.  The only reason we are scattered across the world is because of slavery and the Europeans greed.

This simple lesson comes from Pan Africanism.  I hope you know what that is.  If not, look it up and read some books by El Hajj Malik El Shabazz (Malcolm X), Marcus Garvey, and Kwame Nkrumah.

I hope you remember this short lesson and put it into use.

My dear friend,

I have friends that are from the continent of Africa that will tell you that even their own countrymen sold others into slavery and that the statement that European greed alone scattered Africans around the world is a gross misstatement.

African American IS appropriate if the person chooses to use it. It denotes a person whose culture is american and whose heritage is from the continent of Africa.

It is time as Muslims to put this emphasis on racial or cultural differences behind, that is what the prophet (pbuh) suggested in his last sermon. perpetuating differences and reminding ourselves of the injustices done to our ancestors does not good, look at the situation in Sudan and Darfur! I understand your need to know your heritage, my mother is a Turkish Kurd who married an American to escape the slaughter in her non-existent homeland! After my father died, Jazak'allah she reverted to the Islam of her childhood and now as a senior hijabi is my closest friend as well as my mother!

"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
IP IP Logged
peacemaker
Male Islam
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote peacemaker Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2006 at 3:44am

Assalamu Alaikum!

Found a good article on Darfur, and thought to share it.

Peace

Darfur - A complicated conflict
5/9/2006 - Political - Article Ref: IV0605-2990
Number of comments:
Opinion Summary: Agree:  Disagree:  Neutral:
By: James Zogby
Iviews* -

Last week, I was invited to speak at the Save Darfur mobilization in Washington, DC. The decision to accept was both easy and complicated.

Easy, because how could any person of conscience ignore the need to speak out in defense of the victims of the horrible conflict that has been raging in the western part of Sudan? The stories of widespread rape, the slaughter of innocents, the deaths of hundreds of thousands and the dislocation of families make Darfur one of the great tragedies of this new century.

It is a fact that a number Evangelical Christian organizations who had been engaged in controversial missionary/conversion efforts in Darfur were involved, as were some Jewish groups who had a history of using Sudan as an issue to drive a wedge between Arabs and Africans.

But two factors made my decision a complicated one. One was related to the complications inherent in the conflict itself. The other, had to do with the make up of the US-based movement that is supporting Darfur.

There are, to be quite blunt about it, no "good guys" in the Darfur conflict. Elements on all sides of this madness have committed atrocities. What has been done cannot be explained away as "defense" or "mistakes" as the parties would have it. 

To make matters worse, there are divisions within the ranks of the various factions that add even greater complexity to the picture. And then there is the ever-present and growing danger represented by the involvement of Sudan and its neighbor Chad both in Darfur and in each other's internal affairs.

A further complication was presented by the fact that at the very same time is this mobilization was occurring, the government of Sudan and the major rebel groups were involved in African Union (AU) sponsored negotiations in Abuja, Nigeria. In fact, the date of the Washington rally coincided with the deadline the AU had given the parties to complete their talks and sign a peace agreement. There were some who raised concern that the rally itself might lead some parties to stiffen their opposition to signing the agreement.

It was important that Arab Americans make clear our deep concern with the humanitarian crisis in Darfur. Our presence in this multi-ethnic multi-religious coalition sends this message.

And then there were questions raised by the composition of the coalition itself and the views of some of the speakers who were to participate in the Washington mobilization. It is a fact that a number Evangelical Christian organizations who had been engaged in controversial missionary/conversion efforts in Darfur were involved, as were some Jewish groups who had a history of using Sudan as an issue to drive a wedge between Arabs and Africans.

Some of the rhetoric in the US about Darfur has been shaped by these groups and their perspectives. In some articles, the conflict is presented as an "Arab-led genocide against black Africans," others have either mistakenly or deliberately conflated their oversimplified view of the Southern Sudan-Khartoum conflict with Darfur and have, therefore, portrayed Darfur as if it were an "Muslim assault on Christian and animist Africans!"

With no other Arab speaker on the program, I understood what might be interpreted either by my absence or my presence at the rally. After consultations with several Arab friends and a number of experts on African affairs, I resolved to participate.

It was important that Arab Americans make clear our deep concern with the humanitarian crisis in Darfur. Our presence in this multi-ethnic multi-religious coalition sends this message.

I closed by urging the participants to make universal their commitment to fighting injustice, terror and war, by expanding their vision to include not only Darfur but Iraq, and Israel / Palestine as well.

And while we may have had questions about even of the groups involved in the Save Darfur effort, the coalition included significant respected US and international organizations as well. The International Crisis Group, the US Conference of Catholic Bishops, Amnesty International, the AFL-CIO/Solidarity Center and a number of US Muslim groups had signed on as sponsors. My presence, I hoped, would give voice to our concern and help provide some balance in the day's discussions.

I focused my remarks on two central points: support for the peace talks in Abuja, urging the parties to accept the AU mediation efforts; and recognition of the growing consensus at the United Nations, shared by many members of the African Union and Arab League that more must be done to secure the peace in Darfur, protect the innocent, return the displaced, punish those who have committed war crimes and provide more humanitarian assistance to those in need-but recognition, as well, that this consensus had to be acted upon.

I noted that we should commit ourselves to take no side in this conflict, but the side of peace with justice and the protection of innocents.

I closed by urging the participants to make universal their commitment to fighting injustice, terror and war, by expanding their vision to include not only Darfur but Iraq, and Israel/Palestine as well.

It is hoped that the Abuja process will bear fruit, but, even with an agreement, there are enormous challenges ahead. If the mobilization accomplished anything at all, it is that silence, passivity, or concern without action are not enough. Too many lives have been lost and too many are still at risk.

Dr. James J. Zogby is the President of Arab American Institute and can be reached at jzogby@aaiusa.org

http://www.iviews.com/Articles/articles.asp?ref=IV0605-2990
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
IP IP Logged
Israfil

Senior  Member

Quote Israfil Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2006 at 1:22pm

Salaam,

I haven't posted much here unfortunately and that is my fault because I missed this subject. For the most part I agree with those people who have said these types of racist attitudes goes on all over the globe and that knowing these realities shouldn't drive you out of Islam although it is hurtful. Adding to that statement let me say to any non-African or non-African American here who has not experienced a direct form of racism to not give their opinion on how African-Americans should feel about racism. Not only do you not know but understand the history behind such an emotion.

Jamaal I understand how you feel and to some extent I feel the same frustration as you do. I have been discriminated against by so-called Muslims who were Arabs. I've been called an abid or slave in Arabic. I've had Pakistaninan people curse me because of whatever reason. I've had them during Jummah after the Khutba in prayer get out of the line because my foot touched theirs. I've had other Muslims reject me for an apartment cause of my color-BTW how I know is the Arab family who applied after me got the exact same apartment I applied for. My credit was excellent since me being a cop you need good credit in law enforcement.

I also feel that the conflict in Palestine in the media sense is culturally motivated because since its an Arab conflict it takes away from a centuries old problem in Africa which occured long before the Palestinian/Israeli conflict. So yes I understand where you are coming from. I know the cop-out comments people made here when they tell you "Islam forbades" racism. This is obviously common sense since it is not only in the prophet's last sermon but in the Qur'an but I also feel people use these comments in the sense of the message "there is no prevelant racism in the Muslim community" when racism exist in the community.

I've discussed this several times over in many threads and to no avail people still don't understand only us "black folks" in the sense of the word. However in knowing what I said here brother you should never leave Islam knowing these realities. God has and always will be with you in the events of your frsutration. God is with the suffering in Darfur. Brother one thing you must understand that is that suffering occurs all over the world not to just Africans or even the African-Americans in the United States. Everyone in every country is suffering and unfortunately as human beings we cause this.

Forget about the Ummah for a second and look at the human species. We are then most intelligent and the most ignorant of God's creation. We can create civilizations yet create means to destroy them by creating missiles or judging a person because of their skin tone. This kind of behavior makes me sick to my stomach. That is why I find tranquility in the "lesser beings" because even with their lack of intelligence they act in accordance to their necessity not to their selfishness.

Pigeons for example I see them all the time in all shapes and different colors. They all eat together and perch on the same wire together. I even seen a bird with one leg yet still found interaction with others regardless. With humans we look down on the abnormal treat others because of their skin tone and move away from something outside the realm of normality. We as a species have become horrible in how we treat each other and when I read about the incidents going on in Darfur I do get angry because I feel even in Islam "blacks have been put in the backburner" however I don't lose hope.

Following the spiritual message of Islam is perhaps the greatest thing a true Muslim can do.

BTW There is nothing wrong with calling yourself African-American after all it means: Someone of African descent who orignates in America. Such as someones Ancestors who originate in Africa yet have children in America. The childrens origins would reside in America but their lineage is from Africa.....Common sense people!

IP IP Logged
Mishmish

Senior  Member

Quote Mishmish Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2006 at 3:26pm

Assalamu Alaikum:

While the genocide in Darfur is often quoted as Arab against black, the truth is that the Janjaweed are black. They are of Arab heritage, but they are black Muslims the same as their victims.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
IP IP Logged
salman

Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote salman Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2006 at 7:39am
Originally posted by Mishmish

While the genocide in Darfur is often quoted as Arab against black, the truth is that the Janjaweed are black. They are of Arab heritage, but they are black Muslims the same as their victims.

wether a muslim is a white or black, he is a muslim. there should be no discrimination among muslims on the basis of colour. hajj is a perfect example of how muslims of different countries and colours unite together without any discrimination.

It is better to be alone than to be in bad company.
IP IP Logged
peacemaker
Male Islam
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote peacemaker Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2006 at 10:42am

Asslamu Alaikum!

Brother Salman: "wether a muslim is a white or black, he is a muslim. there should be no discrimination among muslims on the basis of colour. hajj is a perfect example of how muslims of different countries and colours unite together without any discrimination."

True. But, here we are talking about ongoing genocide as black against black where one group has Arab heritage. Of course, no Arab has superiority over non-Arab and no non-Arab has superiority over Arab as Prophet ( SAW ) told us in his last sermon. Can we truly achieve it? It looks like we have a long way to go.

Peace

Edited by peacemaker
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
IP IP Logged
Israfil

Senior  Member

Quote Israfil Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2006 at 8:49pm
I highly doubt that...Number one we have not seen them in  person and number two i can post several articles in which many of the African women have reported that the Janjaweed are in fact Arabs. I doubt that there is a direct similarity in feature of an Arab and African although their mingling are not uncommon.
IP IP Logged
Mishmish

Senior  Member

Quote Mishmish Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2006 at 9:10pm

Assalamu Alaikum:

You can see photos of the Janjaweed all over the internet...

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version