Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

Current Events
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : Politics : Current Events
Message Icon Topic: Benazir Bhutto Assassinated Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 19 Next >>
Sign*Reader

Senior  Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote Sign*Reader Replybullet Posted: 27 December 2007 at 10:57pm
We must recognize that the violent authoritarian and repressive government of Pakistan has created a climate of hostility and hatred that made the murder of Mrs. Bhutto not only likely, but perhaps inevitable.
Touche

The unconditional U.S. political support for the Musharraf dictatorship, coupled with massive American economic and military support, added fuel to the fire of extremism that ultimately claimed her life.
Touche

And now, as we offer our condolences to the family of Benazir Bhutto and the people of Pakistan, we must pray for an end to the cancer of violence that has affected our Ummah, as we diligently work for the restoration of peace and democratic values that are vital to our collective survival.
Ameen!
cuál será, sea
What  ever happened to the accountability?
What do you say about her approval of RED MOSQUE massacre by the Pakistani army killers not too far from the site of her assassination!
Where hundreds of young Muslimahs Quranic scholars were torched to death. Some were blown to bits with high powered army machine guns and  helicopters hovering over the oldest Islamabad mosque blasting phosphorus all on live TV. Later on  body parts like fingers of girls were found dumped along with trash on garbage heap by the poor bereaving parents!
Where were condolences for those parents of children who were killed mercilessly for no reason but they saw the cancer in the heart of Islamic Republic of Pakistan's capital.And they paid the ultimate price with their lives cuz they wanted law and order, the world just let it be and went on its merry ways!
The lost parents appealed to the Supreme Court of Pakistan for justice and the bench was fired by the dictator for listening to the complaint of the dead children.
God's judgment on that country is over due!
The corruption and filth in that place is so out of control under the current setup that any thing goes!  

Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
IP IP Logged
martha

Senior  Member

Quote martha Replybullet Posted: 28 December 2007 at 4:47am

Sign*Reader

Your comments,     The corruption and filth in that place is so out of control under the current setup that any thing goes! 

How true these words Something tells me that conditions will deteriorate further. And no doubt the worlds political leaders will add to the continuing suffering of the innocent people of Pakistan.

some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
IP IP Logged
Walid

Groupie
Groupie

Quote Walid Replybullet Posted: 28 December 2007 at 4:56am

She said she will fight and remove Islamist by all cost and someone somewhere  (presumed Islamist or Musharraf who knows) responded to her challenge by taking her out. If you vow to kill people, then expect to be challenged and removed by all means. That is brutal reality in Pakistan or shall I say world politics.

After all, she said she will die for democracy. Now she died for it as many political leaders and media empire are telling us. So let she see whether in Quran there is reward for people who dies for democracy principle.

Walid

IP IP Logged
poga

Quote poga Replybullet Posted: 28 December 2007 at 7:34am

Originally posted by ak_m_f

Originally posted by Angela

She was killed because she was a woman who dared to run for office in that part of the world in today's society.

yes a corrupt woman.

Also she was US right hand. Good thing we got rid of her.
She promised to give AQ Khan to US.

No wonder west is crying for her, they lost their agent.

Mrs Be Aql Khan Usta : You beat me up black and blue just for HIJAB
Is it ALLAH'S pious punishment or your polluting AHJAB
If i am immodest let then ALLAH punish me
For this unsightly barriers and open revealing beauty
Why are you punishing me will you share my personal hell
Why do you break my vocal box to repair my wind pipe yell

from SWEETSWORDS 86 [ Comparative Religion ]

awal
IP IP Logged
seekshidayath
Female Islam

Quote seekshidayath Replybullet Posted: 28 December 2007 at 7:43am
Originally posted by poga

Originally posted by ak_m_f

Originally posted by Angela

She was killed because she was a woman who dared to run for office in that part of the world in today's society.

Achcha, OK thankyou for the info, that she was killed since she was a woman ---

Can u please let me know , why her father was killed?

yes a corrupt woman.

Also she was US right hand. Good thing we got rid of her.
She promised to give AQ Khan to US.

No wonder west is crying for her, they lost their agent.

Mrs Be Aql Khan Usta : You beat me up black and blue just for HIJAB
Is it ALLAH'S pious punishment or your polluting AHJAB
If i am immodest let then ALLAH punish me
For this unsightly barriers and open revealing beauty
Why are you punishing me will you share my personal hell
Why do you break my vocal box to repair my wind pipe yell

from SWEETSWORDS 86 [ Comparative Religion ]

Allah swt, shall deal with her accounts be it  Hijab, {Allah knows the Best}

On what basis did you conclude that this was reason. Pls let us know. None of the media, even doubt this fact of hers

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: “All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
IP IP Logged
abuayisha

Senior  Member

Quote abuayisha Replybullet Posted: 28 December 2007 at 8:22am
U.S. Brokered Bhutto's Return to Pakistan
White House Would Back Her as Prime Minister While Musharraf Held Presidency

By Robin Wright and Glenn Kessler
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, December 28, 2007; A01

For Benazir Bhutto, the decision to return to Pakistan was sealed during a telephone call from Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice just a week before Bhutto flew home in October. The call culminated more than a year of secret diplomacy -- and came only when it became clear that the heir to Pakistan's most powerful political dynasty was the only one who could bail out Washington's key ally in the battle against terrorism.

It was a stunning turnaround for Bhutto, a former prime minister who was forced from power in 1996 amid corruption charges. She was suddenly visiting with top State Department officials, dining with U.N. Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad and conferring with members of the National Security Council. As President Pervez Musharraf's political future began to unravel this year, Bhutto became the only politician who might help keep him in power.

"The U.S. came to understand that Bhutto was not a threat to stability, but was instead the only possible way that we could guarantee stability and keep the presidency of Musharraf intact," said Mark Siegel, who lobbied for Bhutto in Washington and witnessed much of the behind-the-scenes diplomacy.

But the diplomacy that ended abruptly with Bhutto's assassination yesterday was always an enormous gamble, according to current and former U.S. policymakers, intelligence officials and outside analysts. By entering into the legendary "Great Game" of South Asia, the United States also made its goals and allies more vulnerable -- in a country in which more than 70 percent of the population already looked unfavorably upon Washington.

Bhutto's assassination leaves Pakistan's future -- and Musharraf's -- in doubt, some experts said. "U.S. policy is in tatters. The administration was relying on Benazir Bhutto's participation in elections to legitimate Musharraf's continued power as president," said Barnett R. Rubin of New York University. "Now Musharraf is finished."

Bhutto's assassination also demonstrates the growing power and reach of militant anti-government forces in Pakistan, which pose an existential threat to the country, said J. Alexander Thier, a former U.N. official now at the U.S. Institute for Peace. "The dangerous cocktail of forces of instability exist in Pakistan -- Talibanism, sectarianism, ethnic nationalism -- could react in dangerous and unexpected ways if things unravel further," he said.

But others insist the U.S.-orchestrated deal fundamentally altered Pakistani politics in ways that will be difficult to undo, even though Bhutto is gone. "Her return has helped crack open this political situation. It's now very fluid, which makes it uncomfortable and dangerous," said Isobel Coleman of the Council on Foreign Relations. "But the status quo before she returned was also dangerous from a U.S. perspective. Forcing some movement in the long run was in the U.S. interests."

Bhutto's assassination during a campaign stop in Rawalpindi might even work in favor of her Pakistan People's Party, with parliamentary elections due in less than two weeks, Coleman said. "From the U.S. perspective, the PPP is the best ally the U.S. has in terms of an institution in Pakistan."

Bhutto's political comeback was a long time in the works -- and uncertain for much of the past 18 months. In mid-2006, Bhutto and Musharraf started communicating through intermediaries about how they might cooperate. Assistant Secretary of State Richard A. Boucher was often an intermediary, traveling to Islamabad to speak with Musharraf and to Bhutto's homes in London and Dubai to meet with her.

Under U.S. urging, Bhutto and Musharraf met face to face in January and July in Dubai, according to U.S. officials. It was not a warm exchange, with Musharraf resisting a deal to drop corruption charges so she could return to Pakistan. He made no secret of his feelings.

In his 2006 autobiography "In the Line of Fire," Musharraf wrote that Bhutto had "twice been tried, been tested and failed, [and] had to be denied a third chance." She had not allowed her own party to become democratic, he alleged. "Benazir became her party's 'chairperson for life,' in the tradition of the old African dictators!"

A turning point was Bhutto's three-week U.S. visit in August, when she talked again to Boucher and to Khalilzad, an old friend. A former U.S. ambassador in neighboring Afghanistan, Khalilzad had long been skeptical about Musharraf, and while in Kabul he had disagreed with then-Secretary of State Colin L. Powell over whether the Pakistani leader was being helpful in the fight against the Taliban. He also warned that Pakistani intelligence was allowing the Taliban to regroup in the border areas, U.S. officials said.

When Bhutto returned to the United States in September, Khalilzad asked for a lift on her plane from New York to Aspen, Colo., where both were giving speeches. They spent much of the five-hour plane ride strategizing, said sources familiar with the diplomacy.

Friends say Bhutto asked for U.S. help. "She pitched the idea to the Bush administration," said Peter W. Galbraith, a former U.S. ambassador and friend of Bhutto from their days at Harvard. "She had been prime minister twice, and had not been able to accomplish very much because she did not have power over the most important institutions in Pakistan -- the ISI [intelligence agency], the military and the nuclear establishment," he said.

"Without controlling those, she couldn't pursue peace with India, go after extremists or transfer funds from the military to social programs," Galbraith said. "Cohabitation with Musharraf made sense because he had control over the three institutions that she never did. This was the one way to accomplish something and create a moderate center."

The turning point to get Musharraf on board was a September trip by Deputy Secretary of State John D. Negroponte to Islamabad. "He basically delivered a message to Musharraf that we would stand by him, but he needed a democratic facade on the government, and we thought Benazir was the right choice for that face," said Bruce Riedel, a former CIA officer and National Security Council staff member now at the Brookings Institution's Saban Center for Middle East Policy.

"Musharraf still detested her, and he came around reluctantly as he began to recognize this fall that his position was untenable," Riedel said. The Pakistani leader had two choices: Bhutto or former prime minister Nawaz Sharif, whom Musharraf had overthrown in a 1999 military coup. "Musharraf took what he thought was the lesser of two evils," Riedel said.

Many career foreign policy officials were skeptical of the U.S. plan. "There were many inside the administration, at the State and Defense Departments and in intelligence, who thought this was a bad idea from the beginning because the prospects that the two could work together to run the country effectively were nil," said Riedel.

As part of the deal, Bhutto's party agreed not to protest against Musharraf's reelection in September to his third term. In return, Musharraf agreed to lift the corruption charges against Bhutto. But Bhutto sought one particular guarantee -- that Washington would ensure Musharraf followed through on free and fair elections producing a civilian government.

Rice, who became engaged in the final stages of brokering a deal, called Bhutto in Dubai and pledged that Washington would see the process through, according to Siegel. A week later, on Oct. 18, Bhutto returned.

Ten weeks later, she was dead.

Xenia Dormandy, former National Security Council expert on South Asia now at Harvard University's Belfer Center, said U.S. meddling is not to blame for Bhutto's death. "It is very clear the United States encouraged" an agreement, she said, "but U.S. policy is in no way responsible for what happened. I don't think we could have played it differently."

U.S. policy -- and the commitment to Musharraf -- remains unchanged. In a statement yesterday, Rice appealed to Pakistanis to remain calm and to continue seeking to build a "moderate" democracy.

"I don't think it would do any justice to her memory to have an election postponed or canceled simply as a result of this tragic incident," State Department spokesman Tom Casey told reporters. "The only people that win through such a course of action are the people who perpetrated this attack."

Staff writer Thomas E. Ricks and staff researcher Julie Tate contributed to this report.

IP IP Logged
Whisper
Male Other
Senior  Member

Quote Whisper Replybullet Posted: 28 December 2007 at 10:39am

Lets not pretend.  She was killed because she was a woman who dared to run for office in that part of the world in today's society.

Angela, we need to examine a whole range of suspects before gliding in to that great western favourite of victim womens' abyss. BB had been a Prime Minister twice and in between when she wasn’t in office, she used to happily roam about at her favourite Karachi and Lahore spots.

No body ever thought of harming her.

But then that was all before 1999.

Long before the Bush n Mush gang took over that otherwise quite peaceful fun country.

I have spent almost the whole of this year travelling in Pakistan. Today, even our good old US returned Pakistani friends (all the Gymkhana plus crowd) have had, as the English expression goes, upto here with this War on Terror circus. I won’t even attempt to disclose the man in the street’s response just out of sheer simple decency.

US obsession with their darling anti-terror Talisman has become an irritant (I know, I am understating the situation out there) for men of every class there.

The General needed a clear hand for extension of his rule.

Things had turned very bad for the poor general and he needed a clear path fro enhancing his rule, towards the end of his term. He needed a home made sort of a Supreme Court.

He summoned the Chief Justice of Pakistan to the Army House (the Chief of army staff's official residence) and had him bullied by his intelligence (or, the Lack of Intelligence) chiefs. I was in Lahore on that fabled 9th March. I won't waste your time in describing how the folks, specially the professional and the educated classes, reacted to it.

And, by the Ides of March the pot was on the full boil.

Let's sail past the Lal Masjid drama and all other events of the lost summer.

On 3rd November, emergency was declared.

This was green lighted by the Islamabad US embassy. It makes simple straightforward sense. The US had been more than just desperate to keep Mush in his chair than possibly even poor Mush himself. Both, Mush and Bush, knew by midday of the 2nd November that the Supreme Court was going to rule Mush's dodgy election, by a defunct Assembly, illegal.

(If I, with my meagre resources, knew by 13:24 UK time, I bet the States and their idiot definitely knew it by then!

Why were they going to rule that?

Plain and simple. The Constitution of Pakistan requires that any government servant is barred from contesting for ANY public office, for a clear period of 24 calendar months, after leaving office.

Our favourite man in Eyezlambabad was still in government service.

I swear upon my scout's honour that a Chief of the Army Staff is a government servant.

He arrested all the Judges of the Higher courts, at gun point and handed them an oath of personalised loyalty. And, he put all those who didn’t take his oath, in sub-jails surrounded by barbed wire.

He trashed the Constitution and put together a court of his own choice and got them to rubberstamp his election.

Let’s say that he has put all the lawyers, civic leaders, human rights activists and any and every known professional decent Pakistani in mini concentration camps. Complete with brutish armed guards and torture techniques just this side of water boarding and other few US favourites.

The US had hatched a plan to arrange a marriage of convenience between their bad boy and our bad daughter. All her court cases went missing almost like those CIA water boarding tapes!

People of Pakistan had been feeling under army occupation for a good long time. Other dictators had been very bad, but the army had never been used for exterminating own people.

And, in all this fiasco of these past few weeks, the US has been caught playing a game with the people of Pakistan. The State Department has been just spinning the great doffing of the uniform as if he had given up some inheritance he had had from his maternal grandfather (nana in Urdu, his mother tongue, not mine)!

Every soldier retires and has to learn to live in his civvies one day.

I am sad, but I am not surprised that BB has been shot dead.

Today, the situation in Pakistan is that if you want anyone dead, just label the person as a US ally. She had been viewed as an extension of the US interference in the country’s affairs.

Let’s move to other possible suspects:

1.                   Good old Altaf Bhai. MQM had taken advantage of her absence from the political arena and carved part of her vote bank and taken Sind. She had started to reclaim her vote bank since her return. MQM are also in the suspect list for the October attack on her life.

2.                   Pervez Ellahi group; Pervez’s uncle, Chaudhary Zahoor Ellahi, one of the finest men I have known in my wandering years, was eliminated by Al-Zulfikar, and organisation run by BB’s brother to avenge his father’s death

3.                   PP Stray Elements; A fairly large part of her PPP had felt betrayed by her deal with a dictator.

4.                   General Public Strays: We know what the Amrekanos think of Dr Qadeer Khan and, today, since the US bickering and badmouthing of the Iranian Nuclear Energy programme, Pakistanis have come to know why the Americans are after Dr Qadeer.

Now, the problem is that an average Paki holds Qadeer Khan in greater esteem than even the Founder of the nation. BB had promised the US to bag and deliver them Dr Qadeer Khan. This has been taken as her primary sin by every single shade of opinion I have met in these past few weeks. It’s possible that some stray young man had taken it upon himself to put an end to someone he viewed as a traitor.

5.                   The Agencies: BB and her family did not have a comfortable relationship with the agencies and to a degree also with the army officers’ corps. The agencies had for long considered the Bhutto family as some kind of bad eggs. There is a huge explanation, but we better sail past it for now.

6.                   Her own Family: Her brother’s widow and a good part of the more influential Bhutto clan (ZAB or even his father, (Sir) Shahnawaz were, in fact, a bit of nominal Bhuttos.

When ZAB took over, in 1972, from General Yahya Khan, he had to delay his television address to the nation for a few hours, for striking a deal with cousin (Mumtaz Bhutto) who had a succession case going in the High Court for years to get ZAB struck off the Bhutto inheritance!

ZAB was not born as Zulfikar Ali.

He was given birth, as Ghansi Ram, by a very attractive young Bombay socialite who was kept by Pandit jee (Jawahar Lal Nehru)

She was four months on her way when Shahnawaz took her over. Sir Shahnawaz adopted when ZAB was born – according to the British Indian law, the natural father of the child had to consent the adoption. ZAB’s adoption certificate was signed by Nehru.

It’s along story, let’s not touch it right now, but the long and the short of it is that Shanawaz’s father never allowed him to bring her and the child home. He and his mother stayed in a house just a few miles outside the ancestral home, for a full nine years and as Ghansi Ram! Bhutto clan rivalry is quite a venomous factor.

7.                   The CIA: Now, I haven’t had time to weigh this possibility up for shortage of time, but I accidentally happened to be in a discussion soon after BB and Nawaz had both returned to Pakistan. Can it be possible that the Americans are keen to create a situation in Pakistan that would justify PLACING NATO TROOPS there

– under the pretext of Safeguarding zat coontree’s Nuke assets!! And also encircle IRAN?

My friend, think with an open mind.

It’s a political assassination with plenty of possibilities.
Sasha Khanzadeh
IP IP Logged
Salams_wife

Quote Salams_wife Replybullet Posted: 28 December 2007 at 10:56am
Those are very interesting points Whisper.  It leaves a lot for one to think about.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 19 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version