Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

Current Events
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : Politics : Current Events
Message Icon Topic: Rape victim gets 200 lashes Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
Salams_wife

Online Status: Offline
Quote Salams_wife Replybullet Posted: 04 December 2007 at 2:05pm

I believe all men and women have the right to not be attacked and raped regardless of the situations they may put themselves in.  Yet I also believe men and women should take precautions to protect themselves.  There are classes you can take and invaluable advice online where people can learn how best to protect themselves.  Locking the doors of their homes, locking your car doors even when you are driving, wearing conservative clothes, and looking confident can all help.  They interview rapists in jail and one of the things they look for in attacking a woman is if she appears to be vulnerable.  I know Islam preaches that a woman should keep her eyes averted from men's gazes, but the attackers say if a woman meets thier eyes they are less likely to attack her.  Maybe it is a tradeoff to make yourself more safe.  Only Allah knows the right thing to do. 

Another problem is the the majority of rape and molestation cases occur within the family.  These are the least likely to get reported as well.  The vicitim often feels shame, guilt and doesn't want to create problems within the family.  How do you protect yourself from your uncle, father, step-father, etc?  One thing I believe is projecting that you will fight back, that you let people know what is going on immediately.  A woman should feel secure with her male relatives, but if she does not then she can do her best to not be alone with them and if possible, she can record the evidence if she cannot prevent the attack.  All women have a right to defend themselves in whatever way necessary.  A person if far less likely to attack someone if they know the repercussions will be severe. 

We have to let the world know we will not stand for sexual crimes.  This is not just Saudi, but every country in the world.  This problem of blaming the victim occurs everwhere.

IP IP Logged
Israfil

Senior  Member

Quote Israfil Replybullet Posted: 04 December 2007 at 7:52pm

but the attackers say if a woman meets thier eyes they are less likely to attack her

That is like the lion saying to the gazelle not to look so tasty.

If rape occurs within the family, regardless whether one looks away, wears hijab or wears a blanket, rape will happen. I do not think clothes or looking away from men will protect a woman from a predator. If a perp wants to commit a crime regardless of a person's religious duties, they will be attacked.

IP IP Logged
Salams_wife

Quote Salams_wife Replybullet Posted: 04 December 2007 at 9:10pm
I agree though there are different precautions you can take dependent on who your would be attacker is.  Family members are the most difficult to protect yourself from.  Most families prefer to think it would not happen to them, but it takes the whole family to help prevent it.
IP IP Logged
Israfil

Senior  Member

Quote Israfil Replybullet Posted: 04 December 2007 at 9:36pm

Originally posted by Salams_wife

I agree though there are different precautions you can take dependent on who your would be attacker is.  Family members are the most difficult to protect yourself from.  Most families prefer to think it would not happen to them, but it takes the whole family to help prevent it.

I agree with what you said in the above post. However, at times, I wonder if all of us are simply helpless.

IP IP Logged
Hayfa
Female  Islam
Senior  Member

Quote Hayfa Replybullet Posted: 05 December 2007 at 3:37am

I know Islam preaches that a woman should keep her eyes averted from men's gazes, but the attackers say if a woman meets thier eyes they are less likely to attack her. 

I think it entirely depends on context. No I do not stare into men's eyes. But if there is something one is doing wrong, I will make eye contact.

Its like someone on the street can ask you for something .. you can jsy keep walking, if they follow you, you either better run or stop and confront.

I wonder if all of us are simply helpless. Yes we are..

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
IP IP Logged
Walid

Groupie
Groupie

Quote Walid Replybullet Posted: 05 December 2007 at 3:45am
Originally posted by raymond

[QUOTE=Walid]

Israfil,

Though I have no sympathy for this women

Walid

You have no sympathy for this women??? Is religion not about showing sympathy and caring etc...?? you wouldnt do this to a animal. Its disgusting?

[/QUOTE

You missed my point. Cool down and Re-read what I said.

Walid 

IP IP Logged
Angela
 Christian
Senior  Member

Quote Angela Replybullet Posted: 05 December 2007 at 4:50am
Originally posted by peacemaker

Assalamu Alaikum,

It is not Saudis or Americans or Britons alone who have brought us to this point; it is rather collective misdeeds that have taken us this far; the sooner we realize, the better we will be. I think when each of us reflects over our shortcomings at all levels, the world would be a better place.

Yes, Muslims must play a greater role to guide humanity by performing morally superior actions and following great examples of the Prophet Muhammad ( SAW ) and his companions.

Peace

I agree that we all need to take personal responsibilities and work to change the ills of our world.  I just want to add one more statement to this Peacemaker.  The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was not the only shining example given to us over the course of human history.  There is also the other Prophets and Jesus (no matter what you believe about him).  Compassion, mercy, justice.  These things are universal.

The only evidence of her adultery is that she admitted to being alone with this man who was also victimized.  If they weren't having an affair then by the way of the Prophet Muhammad, they should have asked both of them to swear to God five times that they were not having an affair.  There were not 4 witnesses to any adultery and the accused rapists could not be trusted because they are criminals.

This girl suffered for her poor judgement.  She should have had a male relative retrieve the photograph if she is telling the truth.  If not, one has to wonder one other thing....  if she is in love with this high school friend... why did she recently get married to another man?
IP IP Logged
Azaleah

Groupie
Groupie

Quote Azaleah Replybullet Posted: 06 December 2007 at 3:45pm
Assalamo Alaykum wr wb.

I agree with most of your opinion about how the Saudians are handling judicial in their country. My countrymen has been victimized by that irrational judicial system, they were being raped even killed while working as domestic helpers and there is no justice whatsoever served for the misfortunes. Being unjust is not Islam. Islam is based on peace, mercy and forgiveness.

On the day of judgement, we will all be questioned of the deeds that we have done during out lifetime. If we cannot get justice in this world, we will surely have it on the Day of Judgement.

We are all equal in the eyes of Allah and the noblest among us is the pious one. Islam is not represented by a certain groups or a certain race, Islam belongs to those who believes in it sincerely and following what Allah has ordained them to do and abstain from what was fobidden for them. As the Prophet (peace be upon him) said:

"All people are equal, as equal as the teeth of a comb. An Arab is no better than a non-Arab, nor is a white person over a black person, nor is a male superior to the female. The only people who enjoy preference with God are the devout."
Leah
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version