Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

Interfaith Dialogue
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : Religion - Islam : Interfaith Dialogue
Message Icon Topic: Ask an Atheist(Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 28 Next >>
Diagoras

Online Status: Offline
bullet Posted: 22 November 2007 at 3:42pm
Yes, discussion could be more useful if Diagoras explained the nature of  belief in plain words. Otherwise it is is no use wandering in the randomland. Let us have some concrete base to go on or off, please.

Is it the problem about the belief in the creator?? Then there will be a definite question about the belief in the creation too. Diagoras please explain your belief in some easy detail so that we can understand it better.

Do you have a problem about the existence of God?

Do you feel that there is no God, (The Creator) ?

Thanks.

Look, I think I'm failing to convey my position. So...Wikipedia!
A proud constitutional democratic republican.

The board's friendly neighborhood atheist.
IP IP Logged
Diagoras

bullet Posted: 22 November 2007 at 3:45pm

Hi to my athiest new friend (hopefully)

Sure. Just don't burn me at a stake, or stone me to death and we'll get along fine.

As far as I know there are 3 basic principals that all human would view and hold as correct and these are:

1- Nothing can not create a thing,

I've never observed that happening, so I guess it is reasonable to believe that nothing cannot create something - for now.

2- the act is a mirror of the capacity of the doer and of some of his/her characteristics, and

I disagree. Picking up a pencil is a minor actions, no reflection of my capacity. And picking up a pencil doesn't mirror any of my characteristics.

3- S/he who hasn't got something (say object ''A'') cannot give that thing (the object''A'')

Sure.

Now my question is: do you accept these 3 principals?

Kinda

Sorry if any of my replies seem inadequate, but Thanksgiving + massive posts is quite a combinations.

Hmm... Maybe I should bring some friends over here?

Edited by Diagoras

IP IP Logged
layalee

bullet Posted: 22 November 2007 at 4:23pm

Diagoras,

After reading the post by you and several others, I'm under the assumption that you need solid proof to believe in God. Am I correct?

IP IP Logged
Diagoras

bullet Posted: 22 November 2007 at 4:26pm
Exactly!

IP IP Logged
zakarianz

bullet Posted: 22 November 2007 at 4:34pm

Hello again

Sure. Just don't burn me at a stake, or stone me to death and we'll get along fine.
No i will not and I can tell you by now (for now) that you wouldn't of said that if you knew the full story however that's why we are here I guess so this part to be elaborated on more later.

2- the act is a mirror of the capacity of the doer and of some of his/her characteristics, and

I disagree. Picking up a pencil is a minor actions, no reflection of my capacity. And picking up a pencil doesn't mirror any of my characteristics.
I disagree with your disagreement because what i meant was and using your example: you picking up the pencil is indeed a reflection of your capacity but with this example NOT ALL of your capacity because you can pick up heavier things than that however it does tell that yuor capacity is AT LEAST to the level of picking up a pencil and if we want to know the strech of your capacity we will have to go bit by bit until some level then we would say that your capacity of picking up stops here that's one and

Two likewise it does reflect some of your characteristics in that to pick up a pencil, and among other things, 1 you have to locate it 2 direct you your hand towards it 3 ...... and all these are characteristics or qualities that you do have except that in this case 'pencil example' it doesn't reflect ALL of your qualities and not the span of each and every quality you have.

Now your verdict please?

A coouple of things please:

thanks for your nice reply  ,

all the best with your tasks,

Please jsut take your time to reply/interact with my posting(s) and

with re gard to "Hmm... Maybe I should bring some friends over here?
" My view is: I would like that however please do as you wish and at your own leisure and Good bye for now

with Kind regards

Zakaria

Zakaria
IP IP Logged
Diagoras

bullet Posted: 22 November 2007 at 4:50pm
Alright, with that clarification I agree Zakaria.

IP IP Logged
zakarianz

bullet Posted: 22 November 2007 at 7:25pm

Hello again

I wanted absolutely to start from somewhere where we have a common understanding and shared agreement as well.

Also -and this one for my self as well as you- that HUMANS MUST have some common accepted things among them that they all agree about and if any fruitful discussion/debate is to take place then that discussion/debate probably should start from there hence:

1- If/when, and while on the discussion road, disagreement arises then we can easily track it back to its origin,

2- Know that the different roads or ways of life (sometimes referred to as religion but to me this word/concept is too narrow -we can discuss it further later if you wish) get separated from there i.e. point of disagreement (though they might intersect here and there which I think/see they do). From this it's pointless to discuss the differences located say at level 8 when their origin is level 5 because if you were to differ at level 5 then -I would say- whatever comes after level 5 was meant to be different and it will be different because the input at level 5 was different.

This is exactly why and how the differences came about (after some study and investigation) between say Muslims, Christians, Jews…. Please note here that I’m saying Muslims not Islam, Christians not Christianity Jews not Judaism.

Now from my side and what I plan to do is this: I will try and read all of your writings so far on this forum and get back to you, what do you think about this?

In the mean time if you want to raise some specific issue(s) or whatever please go ahead.

Kind Regards

Zakaria

Edited by zakarianz
Zakaria
IP IP Logged
zakarianz

bullet Posted: 22 November 2007 at 7:37pm

One thing Layalee wrote:

"Diagoras,

After reading the post by you and several others, I'm under the assumption that you need solid proof to believe in God. Am I correct?"

to which you replied:

"Exactly!"

One way of seeing this is: trying to believe in God but needs some convincing is it the case? if so why?

A friend of mine as a matter of fact MY BEST friend (Westener) was an atheist (though the defintion is not clear) but later on I found out that he was never an atheist as are those who refer to temsleves as such (I'm finding out this bit by bit) so if you can please define your position in sentences/phrases rather than words such atheist agnostic that would be great.

Kind Regards

Zakaria
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 28 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version