Kitab Al-I'tsam, was composed by al Imam Ash-Shatibi. May Allah have mercy
upon him, his disciples and the scholars and students of knowledge. He underwent great
difficulties to achieve this glorious task.
The book is indeed a scientific encyclopedia, which includes a lot of
benefits and unique issues, which make its reader dispense with
He prefaced the book with a wonderful and concentrated introduction, in
which he talked about the alienation of Islam. and the emergence and spread of
the religious innovations. which motivated him to write his book, in the hope it
would benefit the Muslims in the world and the hereafter.
He divided the book into ten sections. Each including many chapters as
required by context and in-depth explanation of the Issues:
- Definition and meaning of religious innovation.
- Condemnation of religious innovation, and the evil consequence.
- Condemnation of religious innovations in general, and all changes made in
the religion, in which he discussed the malicious allegations of the religious
Innovators and those of scholars who regard religious innovations as good
- The approaches of religious innovators in attestation.
- The real and additional religious innovations, and the difference between
- The rulings of the religious innovations, which are not of the same rank.
- The innovation, whether it pertains to the acts of worship
in particular, or
includes also the normal habits.
- The difference between the benefits which were not specifically addressed
with Islamic text.
- The reason for which the sects of religious innovators broke away from the
established community of the Muslims.
- The straight path from which the religious innovators deviated.