The bulk of literature indicates that fasting in
Ramadan is safe for the majority of diabetics patients with proper education and
diabetic management. Most NIDDM patients can fast safely during Ramadan.
Occasional IDDM patients who insist on fasting during Ramadan can also fast if
they are carefully managed. Strict attention to diet control, daily activity and
drug regimen adjustment is essential for successful Ramadan fasting.
To shed more light on pathophysiological changes in
Ramadan fasting, in particular in Muslims diabetics, it is recommended that a
multicentric international controlled clinical trial be employed to assess the
effect of differences in gender, races, physical activities, food habits, sleep
patterns and other important variables on physiologic and pathologic conditions
during Ramadan fasting.
Fereidoun Azizi, MD, and Behnam
Endocrine Research Center, Shaheed Beheshti University of
Medical Sciences, Tehran, I.R. Iran
Address correspondence to: Prof. F.Azizi, P.O. Box 19395-4763, Tehran, I.R.Iran, Fax:+98-21-2402463,
Source: International Journal of Ramadan Fasting Research
Disclaimer: The IslamiCity
editorial board does not support or oppose the views expressed in this article.
(1) Cahill GF Jr. Starvation in men. N Engl J Med .1970;
(2) Herber D. Endocrine response to starvation, malnutrition,
and illness. In: DeGroot Ly (Edr), Endocrinology. Third edition, vol 3,
Philadelphia: Saunders, PP 2663-2678, 1995.
(3) Azizi F. Medical aspects of Islamic fasting.Med J IR Iran
(4) Chaussain JL. Glycemic response to 24h fast in normal
children and children with ketosis hypoglycemia. J Pediatr. 1973; 82:438-443.
M, Haourai-Oukerro F, Mebazaa A, Nagati K. Circadian evolution of serum level of
glucose, insulin, cortisol and total proteins in healthy, fasting volunteers.
Second International Congress on Health and Ramadan. Dec. 1-3, 1997, Istanbul,
Turkey, P 31.
(6) Azizi F, Rasouli HA. Serum glucose, bilirubin, calcium,
phosphorus, protein and albumin concentrations during Ramadan. Med J IR Iran.
(7) Scott TG. The effect of Muslim fast of Ramadan on routine
laboratory investigation. King Abdulaziz Med J 1981; 1:23-35.
(8) Khogheer Y, Sulaiman MI, Al-Fayez SF. Ramadan fasting
state of controls. Ann Saudi Med. 1987; 7(suppl.): 5-6.
(9) Davidson JC. Muslims, Ramadan and diabetes mellitus. BMJ
(10) Azizi F. Effect of dietary composition on
fasting-induced changes in serum thyroid hormones and thyrotropin.
(11) Sajid KM, Akhtar M, Malik GQ. Ramadan fasting and
thyroid hormone profile. JPMA. 1991; 41:213-216.
(12) Takruri HR. Effect of fasting in Ramadan on body weight.
Saudi Med J. 1989; 10:491-494.
(13) Sulimani RA. Effect of Ramadan fasting on thyroid
function in healthy male individuals. Nutr Res. 1988; 8:549-552.
(14) Shoukry MI. Effect of fasting in Ramadan on plasma
lipoproteins and apoproteins. Saudi Med J. 1986; 7:561-567.
(15) Ewis A, Afifi NM. Ramadan fasting and
non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus : Effect of regular exercise. Second
International Congress on Health and Ramadan. Dec. 1-3, 1997, Istanbul,Turkey, P
(16) Al Nakhi A, Al Arouj M, Kandari A, Morad M. Multiple
insulin injection during fasting Ramadan in IDDM patients. Second International
Congress on Health and Ramadan. Dec. 1-3, 1997, Istanbul, Turkey, P 77.
(17) Klocker N, Belkhadir J, El Ghomari H, Mikou A, Naciri M,
Sabri M. Effects of extreme chrono-biological diet alternations during Ramadan
on metabolism in NIDDM diabetes with oral treatment. Second International
Congress on Health and Ramadan. Dec. 1-3, 1997, Istanbul, Turkey, P 78-79.
(18) Khatib F. Effect of fasting in Ramadan on blood glucose
and plasma lipids in diabetics with NIDDM. Second International Congress on
Health and Ramadan. Dec. 1-3, 1997, Istanbul, Turkey, P 42.
(19) Uysal A, Erdogan M, Sahin G, Kamel N, Erdogan G. The
clinical, metabolic and hormonal effects of fasting on 41 NIDDM patients, during
the Ramadan 1997. Second International Congress on Health and Ramadan. Dec. 1-3,
1997, Istanbul, Turkey, P 44-45.
(20) Athar S, Habib M. Management of stable type II diabetes
NIDDM during Ramadan fasting. First International Congress on Health and
Ramadan. Jan. 19-22, 1994, Casablanca, Morocco, P 29.
(21) Rashed H. The fast of Ramadan: No problem for the well:
the sick should avoid fasting. BMJ. 1992; 304:521-522.
(22) Sulimani RA, Laajam M, Al-Attas O, Famuyiwa FO, Bashi S,
Mekki MO. The effect of Ramadan fasting on diabetes control type II diabetic
patients. Nutrition Research 1991; 11:261-264.
(23) Laajam MA. Ramadan fasting and non insulin-dependent
diabetes: Effect of metabolic control. East Afr Med J. 1990; 67:732-736.
(24) Mafauzy M, Mohammed WB, Anum MY, Zulkifli A, Ruhani AH.
A study of fasting diabetic patients during the month of Ramadan. Med J
(25) Salman H, Abdallah MA, Al Howasi M. Ramadan fasting in
diabetic children in Riyadh. Diabet Med. 1992; 9:583-584.
(26) Sulimani RA. Ramadan Fasting: Medical aspects in health
and disease. Ann Saudi Med. 1991; 11:637-641.
(27) Dehghan M, Nafarabadi M, Navai L, Azizi F. Effect of
Ramadan fasting on lipid and glucose concentrations in type II diabetic
patients. Journal of the Faculty of Medicine, Shaheed Beheshti University of
Medical Sciences, Tehran, I.R. Iran. 1994; 18:42-47.
(28) Bouguerra R, Ben Slama C, Belkadhi A, Jabrane H,
Beltaifa L, Ben Rayana C, Doghri T. Metabolic control and plasma lipoprotein
during Ramadan fasting in non-insulin dependent diabetes .Second International
Congress on Health and Ramadan. Dec. 1-3, 1997, Istanbul, Turkey, P 33.
(29) Niazi G, Al Nasir F. The effect of Ramadan fasting on
Bahraini patients with chronic disorders. Second International Congress on
Health and Ramadan. Dec. 1-3, 1997, Istanbul, Turkey, P 24.
(30) Bagraicik N, Yumuk V, Damei T, Ozyazar M. The effect of
fasting on blood glucose, fructosamine, insulin and C- peptide levels in
Ramadan. First International Congress on Health and Ramadan. Jan. 19-22, 1994,
Casablanca, Morocco, P 32.
(31) Belkhadir J, El Ghomari H, Klocker N, Mikou A, Nasciri
M, Sabri M. Muslims with non-insulin dependent diabetes fasting during Ramadan:
treatment with glibenclamide. BMJ. 1993; 307:292-295.
(32) Al Hader AFA, Abu-Farsakh NA, Khatib SY, Hassan ZA. The
effects of Ramadan fasting on certain biochemical parameters in normal subjects
and type II diabetic patients. First International Congress on Health and
Ramadan. Jan. 19-22, 1994, Casablanca , Morocco, P 26.
(33) Aldouni A, Ghalim N, Saile R, Hda N, Parra HJ,
Benslimane A. Beneficial effect on serum apo AI, apo B and Lp AI levels of
Ramadan fasting. Clin Chim Acta. 1998; 271:179-189.
(34) Maislos M, Abou-Rabiah Y, Zuili I, Iordash S, Shany S.
Gorging and plasma HDL-cholesterol - the Ramadan model. Eur J Clin Nutr. 1998;
(35) Aldouni A, Ghalim N, Benslimane A, Lecerf JM, Saile R.
Fasting during Ramadan induces a marked increase in high-density -lipoprotein
cholesterol and decrease in low-density-lipoprotein cholesterol. Ann Nutr Metab.
1997; 41: 242-249.
(36) Maislos M, Khamaysi N, Assali A, Abou-Rabiah Y, Zvili I,
Shany S. Marked increase in plasma high-density-lipoprotein cholesterol after
prolonged fasting during Ramadan. Am J Clin Nutr. 1993; 57: 640-642.
(37) Omar M, Motala A. Fasting in Ramadan and the diabetic
patient. Diabetes Care. 1997; 20:1925-1926.
(38) Tang C, Rolfe M. Clinical problems during fast of
Ramadan. Lancet. 1989; 1:1396.
(39) Omar M. Fasting and some chronic medical disease:
Modifications in therapy. Second International Congress on Health and Ramadan.
Dec. 1-3, 1997, Istanbul, Turkey, P 73.
(40) Arab M. Different aspects of health in Ramadan among
normal and diabetic persons. Second International Congress on Health and
Ramadan. Dec.1-3, 1997, Istanbul, Turkey, P 36.
(41) Horton ES. Exercise and decreased risk of NIDDM. N Engl
J Med. 1991; 325: 196-199.
(42) Roky R, Kotbi S, Taoudi Bencherkroun M, Benzai B, Aadil
N, Iraki I, Moussamith S, Tazi A and Hakkou F. Bilbiographic study on Ramadan
effect on physiology, pathology and therapeutic. Second International Congress
on Health and Ramadan. Dec. 1-3, 1997, Istanbul, Turkey, P 82-83.
(43) Sulaiman M, Zahir F, Khairy A. Effects of a Muslim-style
fast on blood sugar and hepatic glycogen levels in rats. Saudi Med J. 1988;
Pages : 1